• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Pop Culture Art/Posters/Prints Thread (Mondo/ACME/Dark Hall Mansion/etc.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LaneDS

Holy crap, those prices. I don't understand how you can price it like that. Does he really have that loyal a fan base?

There always seems to be drama surrounding that guy.

Checked the page after reading your response, and yeah, holy crap is appropriate. It's like he's trying to price himself to the level of the top tier names.

Sushigod7

Astronomical AP prices
http://www.thatkidwhodraws.com/shop.html
followed by some heavy attitude after the backlash.
It's all goin in the last 3 pages or so of the EB thread
http://forum.expressobeans.com/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=130453&start=165

This guy's response on FB was ridiculous I'll find it and post it. He defended it and still managed to insult fans. After his GitS print I have been very cautious of his work but now I'll never buy another piece he can jump off a cliff.

edit:
iA9ctUcGQpsbb.jpg

I kind of want to go to Mondo Con just because rockin' jelly bean is going to be there.

Same here I went last year because I combined it with work not sure I can make it this year. Would be awesome to meet him though.

Sushigod7

What actually happened with the GitS print? I remember something about the 'first' printing not matching the proof but I don't recall the specifics.

First print wasn't right he signed and numbered it sent it anyway. People complained he reprinted. Second one was better but still not what he had shown.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
You get yours yet? Here's mine up on the wall. I put it in my home office - that's my LCD peeking in.

Wonderful print and I got a good deal on a Michael's frame this weekend.

Not yet, but that looks absolutely beautiful!

I need to sort out a frame, so will check Amazon later (UK so not many places to get a decent frame in that size)

see5harp

Those are cool. I wouldn't mind hanging a couple of those but I'm thinking about just buying the whole set. I could probably gift a few of the prints I'm not interested in.

LaneDS

Like those a lot, but like omgkitty said I do wish they were a standard size. Custom frames are the worst part of this hobby.

Checked the page after reading your response, and yeah, holy crap is appropriate. It's like he's trying to price himself to the level of the top tier names.

Wow, his stuff is ok but he's not at that level yet. Maybe one day but he's not doing anything that I haven't seen before or done in a more polished style. His flippant attitude doesn't help. Its as much the artist as it is the art for me. I won't buy from people I find to be arrogant or immature. There's too many incredibly talented and really badass artists out there who appreciate the support that deserve my money.

I know he's a member of this very forum!

Edit: Also, I have a copy of the Castlevania map he did, and it's pretty rad.

Edit edit: I hadn't seen the ones you linked before. Those are really good.

WORD.

Weird size is a minus, digital print format is a minus, but the art sure is sweet. I'll go in for a set!

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
Kind of weird to be doing through his own site. I understand not wanting to give Kickstarter a cut, but still. Is he charging before it's completely funded or after? Is he refunding people if he doesn't make his goal?

Yeah, he doesn't really go into it a whole lot. Don't know if he's charging people immediately for pre-orders.

He didn't post any funding goal, so my guess is this is being printed regardless if he sells out his pre-orders or not. I think he just wants to offset as much of the printing costs upfront as possible.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
I have a feeling that letterpress will be gone by the end of the day. His art books are really incredible, and this is a pretty great overall package (from what I can tell. Definitely like this over the last two prints.

IronRinn

Yeah, he doesn't really go into it a whole lot. Don't know if he's charging people immediately for pre-orders.

He didn't post any funding goal, so my guess is this is being printed regardless if he sells out his pre-orders or not. I think he just wants to offset as much of the printing costs upfront as possible.

You're probably right. Would have been nice if he let people know, though.

I have a feeling that letterpress will be gone by the end of the day. His art books are really incredible, and this is a pretty great overall package (from what I can tell. Definitely like this over the last two prints.

I have no doubt he will probably sell most, if not all. Dude is really good.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
You're probably right. Would have been nice if he let people know, though.

I have no doubt he will probably sell most, if not all. Dude is really good.

I wonder how detailed the $1000 sketch will be. Hell of a price to pay for something you may not be able to frame.

see5harp

Went ahead with the $150 tier. I'm sure with only 5 art versions available, the personalized sketches will be pretty amazing. I remember back in Dave Choe peak dude had ball point pen throwaway sketches selling at places like Upper Playground for like nearly a grand. I actually have a sketch in a book that Dave Choe that is the filthiest shit ever. One dude fisting another dude with his hands going through the dudes body and out his mouth with both thumbs up. It was right around the time the first season of Thumbs Up came out on Vice TV.

EDIT: wow that $150 edition is all but gone.

Filthy Slug

Hey, does anybody know where I can get some of those print weights that people always have in their pics? And are there any great sellers that do custom ones?

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
g7TQ6Za.jpg

"Will be giving a small book away at the exhibition to the first 20 in line, it's full of work at the show and a few past releases #art #illustration #book #illuminate "

Guess I'm going early.

LaneDS

Let's start up an old discussion/argument: how long is too long to keep art rolled in the shipping tube?

Seeing folks discuss the weighted bags reminded me that I still don't own a flat file and store more prints than I'd like still rolled in their tubes and would like to hear some opinions on the matter.

Filthy Slug

Dude they were gone about an hour after he posted. It's funny how the most expensive options go first in this hobby.

I know that I was ambivalent about the box/letterpress option (like, of all the beautiful art he has, it had to be the weird calligraphy with the lamb head?) but when it quickly jumped a hundred orders around lunchtime, I figured it was time to pick it up. They weren't really moving for a few hours when the book popped up on his site.

Sushigod7

Let's start up an old discussion/argument: how long is too long to keep art rolled in the shipping tube?

Seeing folks discuss the weighted bags reminded me that I still don't own a flat file and store more prints than I'd like still rolled in their tubes and would like to hear some opinions on the matter.

I would store them in foam core sandwiches under a bed before leaving them in tubes its not good. I bought a cheap flat file off craigs list and repainted it a few years ago.

Filthy Slug

I would store them in foam core sandwiches under a bed before leaving them in tubes its not good. I bought a cheap flat file off craigs list and repainted it a few years ago.

I've found tubes to be fine. For certain thicker, nicer, more ink-heavy prints it'll be harder to flatten, but overall, I've never found tube storage to cause damage to prints. I'm sure if you keep that shit in those cardboard coffins for years you'll get waves, but I think 6 months/a year is okay.

see5harp

I know that I was ambivalent about the box/letterpress option (like, of all the beautiful art he has, it had to be the weird calligraphy with the lamb head?) but when it quickly jumped a hundred orders around lunchtime, I figured it was time to pick it up. They weren't really moving for a few hours when the book popped up on his site.

Yea same. I didn't even think the print was that great looking. I did like the box for the book though so I said what the hell. I posted on my facebook wall since 10 years ago I remember a ton of my friends were into him and by the time people saw the post they were basically gone. I appreciate the active users in here posting stuff because without that post I would have never known.

IronRinn

Mondo has leftover Texas Frightmare Weekend 2015 stuff going up today (5/7):

The Mummy (Silver) by ElvisDead. 24"x36" screen print. Hand numbered. Edition of 125. Printed by D&L Screenprinting. $45

The Mummy (Copper) by ElvisDead. 24"x36" screen print. Hand numbered. Edition of 125. Printed by D&L Screenprinting. $45

Phantasm by Mike Saputo. 24"x36" screen print. Hand numbered. Edition of 275. Printed by D&L Screenprinting. $45

A Nightmare on Elm Street by Gary Pullin. 18"x24" screen print. Hand numbered. Edition of 225. Printed by D&L Screenprinting. $40

The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari by Becky Cloonan. 16"x24" screen print. Hand numbered. Edition of 225. Printed by D&L Screenprinting. $40

The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari (Variant) by Becky Cloonan. 16"x24" screen print. Hand numbered. Edition of 125. Printed by D&L Screenprinting. $60

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom