• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Pop Culture Art/Posters/Prints Thread (Mondo/ACME/Dark Hall Mansion/etc.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

IronRinn

Some more Raid71 teases:

17184077179_26f660597b_o.jpg

16750011883_2cee1977dd_o.jpg

17344344246_cfeb20a2e3_o.jpg

11190338_1584417245174130_7210856_n.jpg

Excited to see these (world needs more prints for The Fisher King and Dark City).

omgkitty

Really want to see that last Blade Runner. Kinda sick of the umbrella's and glad to see him do something different. I'd assume this is the one that has the blimp shining the light into the apartment building.

IronRinn

Really want to see that last Blade Runner. Kinda sick of the umbrella's and glad to see him do something different. I'd assume this is the one that has the blimp shining the light into the apartment building.

I have a feeling at least one of the last two Bladerunner prints is gonna have umbrellas. Seems like the other might be the interior of the Bradbury Building.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
I love the umbrellas motif, and I think it works well for the Bladerunner series. The focus on light and color in this show is really exciting, as I think it's what Raid does best.

Risible

Forgot to post this: American Psycho by Tim Pittides on sale on Grey Matter tomorrow, Thursday, May 7th at 1pm ET:

18" x 24" 4 color screenprint on 100lb French Speckletone Kraft. Signed and numbered edition of 60. $35.00.

The problem with doing pieces with actors on it is that you have to NAIL the face. This looks NOTHING like Bale. Love the idea, not a fan of the execution.

Edit: NM, I guess it's for the novel so artistic license was taken. Carry on.

omgkitty

I like Raid's stuff, especially "Mead Street". Olly had a good idea, as usual, but I'm not sure if I want a Bladerunner in his style if we are talking "perfect" prints for this. Ansin, in his old style, would be good.

You never know. His Star Wars prints are pretty much perfect. At this point I haven't had one I've considered owning or keeping once I did get it. Even the Stout looks weird and off to me, especially compared to his more recent stuff. I'm sure once the new film comes out, we may hopefully see something from Mondo.

IronRinn

The problem with doing pieces with actors on it is that you have to NAIL the face. This looks NOTHING like Bale. Love the idea, not a fan of the execution.

In all fairness, it's not for the movie, it's for the book, so it's not supposed to look like Bale. (Kinda looks like Matthew McConaughey, though.)

Edit: Sorry, just saw your edit.

IronRinn

You never know. His Star Wars prints are pretty much perfect. At this point I haven't had one I've considered owning or keeping once I did get it. Even the Stout looks weird and off to me, especially compared to his more recent stuff. I'm sure once the new film comes out, we may hopefully see something from Mondo.

If I'm honest, the "perfect" Bladerunner is the original poster, drawn by someone who does better likenesses. Boring, I know.

Stout's version is terrible.

Sushigod7

Struzan is the perfect print for BR the Stout is to melty face/chopped up for me I'm sure its very nice with all the metallics etc. But would never pay 2k for a print to find out how it looks in person.

omgkitty

Struzan is the perfect print for BR the Stout is to melty face/chopped up for me I'm sure its very nice with all the metallics etc. But would never pay 2k for a print to find out how it looks in person.

Yeah the Stout is very divisive for me. I hate the colors on the reg, and I really don't think they fit the film at all. I don't think the variant colors fit the film either, but it looks better regardless. There is some nice detail in the print, but the faces are just kinda off. I've always said I'd like to just see Stout redo the poster, or just make a new one, but he never will. I also hate hearing from other artists that say "Oh well Stout already did the perfect Blade Runner poster. I don't think I could top it!" It's ridiculous.

Another person who could do it justice would be Durieux. He did this sketch recently for someone:

wg4Zfqul.jpg

see5harp

Sorta dislike that weird ass looking tree in that Tomorrowland poster. It doesn't even appear to match the shadows. Let's ignore the fact that the movie could be a stinker. Who buys posters for movies that aren't even out yet?

omgkitty

Sorta dislike that weird ass looking tree in that Tomorrowland poster. It doesn't even appear to match the shadows. Let's ignore the fact that the movie could be a stinker. Who buys posters for movies that aren't even out yet?

It's not for the movie. It's just a travel poster.

starkdesign

Neo Member
The visual balance of that one is my favorite part. LOVE LOVE LOVE the negative space at the bottom, not to mention the title layout. And that pink.

Ansin FTW.

omgkitty

The visual balance of that one is my favorite part. LOVE LOVE LOVE the negative space at the bottom, not to mention the title layout. And that pink.

Ansin FTW.

Yep. It's something I wish more Mondo artists or maybe just artists in general would use. Not every print needs to be some huge busy scene. It's funny you mention Ansin as this is really the only thing he's done that does use that negative space, though that could do with the very 60's / 70's style of the design. I think one person who uses negative space very effectively is Olly Moss. I guess you could say it's indicative of his style, but I've always appreciated an artist who can show a good deal of restraint and knows that sometimes less is more.

starkdesign

Neo Member
Yep. It's something I wish more Mondo artists or maybe just artists in general would use. Not every print needs to be some huge busy scene. It's funny you mention Ansin as this is really the only thing he's done that does use that negative space, though that could do with the very 60's / 70's style of the design. I think one person who uses negative space very effectively is Olly Moss. I guess you could say it's indicative of his style, but I've always appreciated an artist who can show a good deal of restraint and knows that sometimes less is more.

Agreed on Olly, but don't forget some of Ansin's other stuff that has some unique layout choices that one would consider use negative space as well, such as his Conan, Game of Thrones, THX-1138 (LOVE THIS ONE), and even the recent Gladiator. And Taxi Driver... man that one is sweet. But yeah, stuff like Iron Man 3, yikes can we get more on the page?! :D

Still remember attending the gallery opening and seeing his Brazil piece. I knew I had found nirvana in that one lol

I will also argue Whalen has some choice uses for negative space, but then again I am just a Whalen fanboy really

IronRinn

I think this is important. This is a specific design choice that references a specific era of movie posters.

It's a really good poster.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom