• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Pop Culture Art/Posters/Prints Thread (Mondo/ACME/Dark Hall Mansion/etc.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

omgkitty

God damn.

Wasn't one of these going to be open to the everyone, or was I imagining that?

Supposedly Tomer said that The Killing was picked up for an official release, at least that's what I was told when I tried to join the commission group. Unfortunately those ass holes who have had 2001, The Shining and now Dr. Strangelove also have him lined up to do Eyes Wide Shut and Full Metal Jacket. Really disappointed by EWS being in their group, but this still leaves Lolita and Barry Lyndon open.

IronRinn

I collect both prints and Lego too and my one piece of advice would be to be picky with what you buy. I spent way too much when I first started collecting but I've become more selective and it's much more manageable now.

Yeah. I'm trying to cut back on my Lego stuff since I have so much now, but being new to prints I feel like I need to start buying what I can and then use as a base to find/trade for stuff later. I travel a shit load for work and can't wait by the computer when something gets released; so I'm finding recent releases will be ones I have buy from a reseller.

nH4x0V2.jpg

My advice is to be careful with the bolded. I too collect Lego (a lot of crossover there, huh) and the print market is considerably more fickle than the Lego market. You can easily get stuck with prints you'll never be able to unload. That said, if you haven't already, head over to Expresso Beans and set up an account.

Browny

Banned
Madness? This is Fancy-Poster-GAF!

(New thread title?)

I have to say I'm of a similar opinion - I buy things that I a) have a genuine interest in, and b) would look good on a wall (if I had any left). I understand why people buy to store or flip or hold onto as an investment, but I'd prefer to display it. The number of co-workers who love my Aled Lewis Greater Good is astonishing.

IronRinn

Madness? This is Fancy-Poster-GAF!

(New thread title?)

I have to say I'm of a similar opinion - I buy things that I a) have a genuine interest in, and b) would look good on a wall (if I had any left). I understand why people buy to store or flip or hold onto as an investment, but I'd prefer to display it. The number of co-workers who love my Aled Lewis Greater Good is astonishing.

Well, in fairness to ruxtpin, he seems interested less in profit and investment than in giving himself some bartering power when trying to get stuff that he does want up on a wall but wasn't able to get on the drop. It can just be tough to go that route and can easily backfire, is all I'm saying.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Dan does some of the best glow in the dark prints I've seen. His wall at the Bottlneck Glow Show was kind of amazing.

omgkitty

I just buy stuff I like and want on my wall ¬_¬

Yeah I always try to follow this rule, but sometimes you get something in and you change your mind, and when you already own 20 other things you also like and want on your wall, it gets hard. You also get caught up in the whole "buy it now or it's gone forever" rule. If you don't buy something you're not 100% sure on and then change your mind, it could be 2 or 3x more expensive than it was when it dropped. It's a stupid, dangerous game, because like others have said, you could get it, change your mind and then have a $100 print no one wants.

ruxtpin

Banned
Well, in fairness to ruxtpin, he seems interested less in profit and investment than in giving himself some bartering power when trying to get stuff that he does want up on a wall but wasn't able to get on the drop. It can just be tough to go that route and can easily backfire, is all I'm saying.

True True. I set up an EB account. I'll spend more time doing research, but my mindset is I won't buy something unless I want it hanging out my wall. We'll see how that goes, but if I to spend an extra $50 to get a print that I wasn't able to get on initial release I wouldn't mind doing so (i.e. the new Boneface one for Mad Max).

My buying habits have been all over the place. I still can't say for sure that I've settled into a groove, and I know for a fact that I still fall victim to the hype trap.

Seems that we're in a boom period now, i feel like I've seen this all before with the trading card and comics markets (not to mention beanie babies LOL). Variants, printing gimmicks, it's nothing new. If you feel like you want to make a long term investment, I would be very wary of buying pop culture prints. The current heavy hitters will likely still hold their value if not continue to appreciate, but that ship has sailed. There won't be another Moss or Stout Star Wars set. Print runs have soared, even the best new prints will never reach a level of scarcity that leads to the kind of demand that really drives prices up.

I ran out of wall space a ways back, so if I buy something to hang I know it will need to displace something else. But then again I also bought a 10 drawer flat file, so I know I can store everything indefinitely.

So what do I buy these days? All the Horkey. I just love the dude's work. All the fat birds. Random crap that catches my eye. Prints that fit in my 18x24 itoya portfolios so I can see them without having to dig through a pile in a flat file drawer. Sometimes I buy prints I don't like from artists that I do like just to help support them and their work.

Not a bad price for a polystone statue that size... just not my favorite depiction of HB. Still regretting the animated version statue I am now stuck with.

omgkitty

I really like the idea of statues and figures, but I can just never justify the cost. I can spend hundreds of dollars on a poster, but can't justify the price of a figure.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
I really like the idea of statues and figures, but I can just never justify the cost. I can spend hundreds of dollars on a poster, but can't justify the price of a figure.

I feel you on that. The only one I jumped on was the First Turtle, and that's just because I genuinely loved it and thought the pricepoint was solid.

E: Got my Whalen Box Trolls Variant! The packaging was absurd, and I was honestly sweating while removing it, fearing I'd crush the print:

Filthy Slug

Is it full on corrugated cardboard? Because, yeah, I would think you're going to have to be careful with that.

Yeah, it is, and it's pretty thin. I feel like if I don't get it into a nice frame soon, it's going to get beat to shit.

Gotta say, I really ended up liking a lot of pieces from Whalen's solo show. I think this is the show that finally brought me around to his style.

EDIT Dammit.

That Mad Max is lovely, expect a massacre. I'm already angling for the Scott C Mad Max on the last page, otherwise I'd be making plans.

IronRinn

Forgot to post this:

11274449_1448575098793573_595215269_n.jpg

Static Medium said:
This is the mural collaboration by Esao Andrews and Tristan Eaton that we're immensely proud to have on the front of our studio. The print is an edition of 200 and will be $100. It measures 20"x24" and will be released on Static Medium's website this Friday (6/12) at 11am pst.

There will be random copies sent out hand embellished by the artists as well.

LaneDS

Not a specific print post, but I purchased my first two custom frames from americanframe.com and came away very impressed with how they packed everything up and the end result (framed up two Andy Kehoe prints).

Sushigod7

Not a specific print post, but I purchased my first two custom frames from americanframe.com and came away very impressed with how they packed everything up and the end result (framed up two Andy Kehoe prints).

Awesome! Post a pic or two when you can. I'm going to order some supplies from them to finally frame up our MGS Ash Thorp print.

LaneDS

Awesome! Post a pic or two when you can. I'm going to order some supplies from them to finally frame up our MGS Ash Thorp print.

It's about as basic as you can get frame-wise, but everything was shipped in sturdy packaging, the print fit perfectly, and there were easy to follow instructions for framing it (I guess in some cases you have to actually glue pieces together, but all I had to do was screw a few things into the (soft) wood). Still need to wire up the back, but I expect that'll be easy. For the modest price (two 22x18 inch frames for $110 shipped) I'm happy with the experience.

Sigma722

I think I'm going to have to continue my collection of zhang and have them be pieces hung on the wall as you go into my basement. The problem is, I decided this after missing the preview sale yesterday.

Damn tomorrow is going to be tricky.

Risible

It's about as basic as you can get frame-wise, but everything was shipped in sturdy packaging, the print fit perfectly, and there were easy to follow instructions for framing it (I guess in some cases you have to actually glue pieces together, but all I had to do was screw a few things into the (soft) wood). Still need to wire up the back, but I expect that'll be easy. For the modest price (two 22x18 inch frames for $110 shipped) I'm happy with the experience.

I didn't have the money but I wanted this piece. It looks dope as fuck! Congrats dude.

Sushigod7

Nice work!

Filthy Slug

That's just the art print edition, though. I can't imagine that one reaching the actual mondo print's prices.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom