• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Pop Culture Art/Posters/Prints Thread (Mondo/ACME/Dark Hall Mansion/etc.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zombine

Banned
On sale Wednesday, 6/10 at Nautilus, 7PM Brussels/1PM EST (Pretty sure I got the time right):

"The Third Man" Regular (Green/yellow)
By Francesco Francavilla
Colours: 8
61 x 91,5 cm.
24 x 36 inches
Limited edition: 200 numbered
Price: 50€ / US$ 56

"The Third Man" Variant (Blue)
By Francesco Francavilla
61 x 91,5 cm.
24 x 36 inches
Limited edition: 100 numbered
Price: 75€ / US$ 84

This would compliment my Afterlife With Archie poster by Francavilla. Definitely going to pick it up.

IronRinn

Fuuuuuuck, I hope we get a print of this:

MadMax.jpg

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeessssssssssssss.

IronRinn

On sale Wednesday, 6/10 at Nautilus, 7PM Brussels/1PM EST (Pretty sure I got the time right):

"The Third Man" Regular (Green/yellow)
By Francesco Francavilla
61 x 91,5 cm.
24 x 36 inches
Limited edition: 200 numbered
Price: 50€ / US$ 56

"The Third Man" Variant (Blue)
By Francesco Francavilla
61 x 91,5 cm.
24 x 36 inches
Limited edition: 100 numbered
Price: 75€ / US$ 84
Man, Francavilla fucking killed this one.

IronRinn

Part 2 of Tom Whalen's "Pulp Menagerie" up on Mondo tomorrow, Tuesday, June 9th:

Back to the Future by Tom Whalen. 24"x18" screen print. Hand numbered (Note: this print is not signed). Edition of 325. Printed by D&L Screenprinting. $45

Back to the Future (Metal Variant) by Tom Whalen. 24"x18" screen print. Signed & Hand numbered. Edition of 90. Printed by D&L Screenprinting. $250

Batman: The Animated Series by Tom Whalen. 12"x36" screen print. Signed & Hand numbered. Edition of 275. Printed by D&L Screenprinting. $45

Batman (1940s) by Tom Whalen. 12"x36" screen print. Hand numbered. Edition of 275. Printed by D&L Screenprinting. $45

Batman (Zur En Arrh) by Tom Whalen. 12"x36" screen print. Signed & Hand numbered. Edition of 150. Printed by D&L Screenprinting. $45

Godzilla by Tom Whalen. 24"x36" screen print. Signed & Hand numbered. Edition of 250. Printed by D&L Screenprinting. $50

Godzilla (Variant) by Tom Whalen. 24"x36" screen print. Signed & Hand numbered. Edition of 125. Printed by D&L Screenprinting. $75

Daredevil by Tom Whalen. 36"x24" screen print. Signed & Hand numbered. Edition of 275. Printed by D&L Screenprinting. $50

Daredevil (Variant) by Tom Whalen. 36"x24" screen print. Signed & Hand numbered. Edition of 125. Printed by D&L Screenprinting. $75

Sigma722

Some crazy-ass news.

Considering his girlfriend and COO, Jessica also appears to no longer be a part of Mondo, I'm assuming this wasn't a mutual thing.

It will be interesting to see how this develops.

I hope this doesn't spell the beginning of Mondo's decline.

Not to be a negative nancy, but Mondo's been on a decline for a while imo. The only way this move makes them worse is if they continue to follow this weird super-commercialization they've been doing with all their old artwork. I think a lot of the direction mondo has been headed in has been Justin's doing, and I don't know that Justin really has his market in mind, so much as shit he finds cool in his mind. People were joking a lot about it, but honestly, I think a wrestling match at mondocon 2 was actually being pursued by Justin, and I wouldn't be surprised if him having an argument about it lead to his departure, lol.

Edit:

"I think a lot of the direction mondo has been headed in has been Justin's doing, and I don't know that Justin really has his market in mind, so much as shit he finds cool in his mind"

A good example of this is how their official mondo twitter, mondonews, was justin's personal twitter, where he would ignore almost every question directed to it, and sometimes post random shit/questions from. They've changed ownership of that handle, and starting at June 5th, you can already see that handle interacting more.

Anyways. This move is certainly interesting.

Some crazy-ass news.

Considering his girlfriend and COO, Jessica also appears to no longer be a part of Mondo, I'm assuming this wasn't a mutual thing.

It will be interesting to see how this develops.

Not to be a negative nancy, but Mondo's been on a decline for a while imo. The only way this move makes them worse is if they continue to follow this weird super-commercialization they've been doing with all their old artwork. I think a lot of the direction mondo has been headed in has been Justin's doing, and I don't know that Justin really has his market in mind, so much as shit he finds cool in his mind. People were joking a lot about it, but honestly, I think a wrestling match at mondocon 2 was actually being pursued by Justin, and I wouldn't be surprised if him having an argument about it lead to his departure, lol.

Edit:

"I think a lot of the direction mondo has been headed in has been Justin's doing, and I don't know that Justin really has his market in mind, so much as shit he finds cool in his mind"

A good example of this is how their official mondo twitter, mondonews, was justin's personal twitter, where he would ignore almost every question directed to it, and sometimes post random shit/questions from. They've changed ownership of that handle, and starting at June 5th, you can already see that handle interacting more.

Wrestling is part of the con, yeah.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces

Edit:

The decline is arguable, (although I'd mostly agree on that) but I think it has less to do with quality and more to do with how it's been expanding. Entering the figure market was an odd move, and then focusing on mostly Turtle figures? It's not like there's a void of TMNT figs that need to be filled. Mondo-Con was cool, but that's got be a logistical nightmare compared to just doing a convention circuit. And of course adding wrestling to the next one.

Man, I'm not familiar with all this in and out stuff but I need that BTTF Whalen to live.

I'm also drowning in work meetings tomorrow. Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

Sigma722

The decline is arguable, (although I'd mostly agree on that) but I think it has less to do with quality and more to do with how it's been expanding. Entering the figure market was an odd move, and then focusing on mostly Turtle figures? It's not like there's a void of TMNT figs that need to be filled. Mondo-Con was cool, but that's got be a logistical nightmare compared to just doing a convention circuit. And of course adding wrestling to the next one.

Certainly no decline in the amount of money they are getting, I agree. I meant more on a quality, and "making the right moves" front.

I think they could be doing a lot better job trying to obtain new properties, and securing the right kind of rights.

If you are going to do toys, there is a happy middle ground to affordable and "best". The turtles was an interesting idea, and so was the giant (although way too pricey or big). There is certainly a lot they can do with toys, and I'm interested to see how that goes.

Sushigod7

As any business they are trying to diversify into other natural avenues of collecting film products. So merch tie ins etc its smart business as long as you don't take away from your bread and butter. Also there are only so many posters artists can pump out before the same group gets tired of buying the same stuff over and over. Alien, Batman, Iron Giant, Robocop, Back to the Future have all be beat to death. They had some fresh gallery shows this year but a lot of OG's etc. IDK I think I've bought 1 poster from Mondo in the last year online and 2 at Mondocon. I've bought more from Bottleneck and HCG for sure. Maybe the transition will be good for them we will see.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Pretty sure we're never gonna see a Batman Zur En Arrh print again.

Good thing it's amazing.

Zombine

Banned
Got The Animated Series one. So hyped. I could only really afford one of these after making a ton of big purchases lately, so I had to pick the one that really resonates with me the most.

Meier

Not super duper shocked about the Justin thing. He's kind of larger than life so it was probably only a matter of time as the company grew. Tim League is kinda similar in being a big persona, but he's more grounded and it's his company so he can get away with it.

As far as Mondo goes, they've hit a bit of a lull. I haven't felt terribly inclined to buy much in some time and I was really disappointed by how MondoCon was run last year. Hopefully for everyone who can make it, it's done better this year. I think they've been hurt from no Olly Moss releases in a long time. Really excited to see if he releases anything at the Con.. 5x5's have lost a little bit of their luster in comparison to full releases.

LaneDS

Not super duper shocked about the Justin thing. He's kind of larger than life so it was probably only a matter of time as the company grew. Tim League is kinda similar in being a big persona, but he's more grounded and it's his company so he can get away with it.

As far as Mondo goes, they've hit a bit of a lull. I haven't felt terribly inclined to buy much in some time and I was really disappointed by how MondoCon was run last year. Hopefully for everyone who can make it, it's done better this year. I think they've been hurt from no Olly Moss releases in a long time. Really excited to see if he releases anything at the Con.. 5x5's have lost a little bit of their luster in comparison to full releases.

I wonder how much of a time commitment Firewatch has been for him?

Meier

I wonder how much of a time commitment Firewatch has been for him?

It's a full time gig so probably substantial. That has been the impetus for lack of releases (sans the Firewatch and 5x5s) I believe. I suppose there could be some contractual limitations as well but I doubt it.

Meier

I'm the opposite, I'd love more :p Easier to find space to hang :D

I think for me the problem is actually doing stuff with them. That's a lot of individual frames or a lot of work from a framer to make them look good together in one big piece. I have so many just sitting under my bed, lol.

I think for me the problem is actually doing stuff with them. That's a lot of individual frames or a lot of work from a framer to make them look good together in one big piece. I have so many just sitting under my bed, lol.

I just took the simple way out and went to ikea :p

ruxtpin

Banned
I'm new to the whole print collecting thing, but over the last several weeks I managed to snag a Tomorrowland variant, the Batman Zur En Arrh, and a Godzilla print from Mondo. I tend to collect Lego, and it's hard to manage multiple expensive hobbies - but I can't wait to have some stuff framed in my building room.

Also - I must find the Boneface Mad Max poster on the aftermarket. That thing sold out in seconds.

ohkay

I'm new to the whole print collecting thing, but over the last several weeks I managed to snag a Tomorrowland variant, the Batman Zur En Arrh, and a Godzilla print from Mondo. I tend to collect Lego, and it's hard to manage multiple expensive hobbies - but I can't wait to have some stuff framed in my building room.
I collect both prints and Lego too and my one piece of advice would be to be picky with what you buy. I spent way too much when I first started collecting but I've become more selective and it's much more manageable now.

ruxtpin

Banned
I collect both prints and Lego too and my one piece of advice would be to be picky with what you buy. I spent way too much when I first started collecting but I've become more selective and it's much more manageable now.

Yeah. I'm trying to cut back on my Lego stuff since I have so much now, but being new to prints I feel like I need to start buying what I can and then use as a base to find/trade for stuff later. I travel a shit load for work and can't wait by the computer when something gets released; so I'm finding recent releases will be ones I have buy from a reseller.

Sushigod7

Yeah main thing is to be picky if you miss drops then sometimes that helps you decide do you really think its worth more etc. I'm trying to thin things down jumped in to many commissions and bought to many through galleries.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom