• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Pop Culture Art/Posters/Prints Thread (Mondo/ACME/Dark Hall Mansion/etc.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
Any word on when the next Ghibli Mondo print will be announced? They said there'd be more than just Totoro, right?

Unrelated: Do the posters over at EB generally give new members a hard time, or did I just run into a bunch of assholes? I look at other new posters' FS/FT threads and they usually either work out or don't get responded to at all. I made a FS thread and have gotten nothing but sarcastic replies.

Sigh.

Any word on when the next Ghibli Mondo print will be announced? They said there'd be more than just Totoro, right?

Unrelated: Do the posters over at EB generally give new members a hard time, or did I just run into a bunch of assholes? I look at other new posters' FS/FT threads and they usually either work out or don't get responded to at all. I made a FS thread and have gotten nothing but sarcastic replies.

Sigh.

Well are you talking to people who actively are using the board? Lot of people put up stuff in the FS/FT and just never update it so they sold off or already traded it long ago. Some people you will look at and they haven't logged back on the site in months/years so you get alot of non responses from people.

Everyone seems to be pretty laid back and easy to work with from what I found, but you do get alot of non responses or obviously people who ignore you for whatever reasons.

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
Well are you talking to people who actively are using the board? Lot of people put up stuff in the FS/FT and just never update it so they sold off or already traded it long ago. Some people you will look at and they haven't logged back on the site in months/years so you get alot of non responses from people.

Everyone seems to be pretty laid back and easy to work with from what I found, but you do get alot of non responses or obviously people who ignore you for whatever reasons.

I'm selling in my own thread, not trying to buy or sell in another's thread ; ) . What I meant about the comment on other's threads was that maybe I did something wrong, because other new posters that I skimmed through either get ignored or made deals without issues, but I got a bunch of nasty replies.

I might just try the direct route by looking at people who have the print on their wish list (or w/e it's called on EB) instead of using a thread.

J-Man

I think your best bet is either ebay or posting an ISO thread on EB.

I don't mean to sound like an idiot, but after signing up for EB, I cannot for the life of me figure out what ISO means... So I was wondering, what does it mean?

I signed up hoping to find a few prints at that place, I'm new to this whole thing, and I have never been able to score from mondotees (I'm usually at work when they drop).

BreakyBoy

o_O @_@ O_o
I'm selling in my own thread, not trying to buy or sell in another's thread ; ) . What I meant about the comment on other's threads was that maybe I did something wrong, because other new posters that I skimmed through either get ignored or made deals without issues, but I got a bunch of nasty replies.

I might just try the direct route by looking at people who have the print on their wish list (or w/e it's called on EB) instead of using a thread.

Set up your own collection list, the stuff you're willing to sell/trade, and your ISOs. Then, use the My Page link on the left of expressobeans. In there, you'll find a link on the left called "Match Maker". You'll get a list of potential matches based on your trades/ISOs. It prioritizes people with your ISOs looking for your trades.

And yeah, a lot of people just don't respond at all. I can't say I'm not guilty of the same. I get multiple offers daily on some of my trades.

I'm still hunting for someone to let go of a Totoro print for a trade or cash + trade. You'd think it'd be a bit easier with some of the trades I have up (Stout Avengers/Struzan Thing), but it's been my white whale for a while.

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
Set up your own collection list, the stuff you're willing to sell/trade, and your ISOs. Then, use the My Page link on the left of expressobeans. In there, you'll find a link on the left called "Match Maker". You'll get a list of potential matches based on your trades/ISOs. It prioritizes people with your ISOs looking for your trades.

And yeah, a lot of people just don't respond at all. I can't say I'm not guilty of the same. I get multiple offers daily on some of my trades.

I'm still hunting for someone to let go of a Totoro print for a trade or cash + trade. You'd think it'd be a bit easier with some of the trades I have up (Stout Avengers/Struzan Thing), but it's been my white whale for a while.

Yep, that's what I meant by "direct route" (PMing people directly based on their Want List). I hadn't seen Match Maker before though, so I'll check that out. Thanks!

I'm still a little turned off by all of the ridiculous lowball or sarcastic replies I got in the thread I made, but oh well, I guess I can just stay out of the forums for the most part.

Oh also, when adding things to my ISO list, what does the "Notify" option mean?

IronRinn

Started really trying to catalog my collection on EB yesterday; just kind of drove home the point that I have way too many damn prints.

404Ender - "Notify" means that you'll get an email anytime someone lists that print for sale or trade.

Sigh.

I saw your post. Please note that I am not in any way criticizing you. Just stating reasons why some of the board people might be posting such replies, using their reasoning.

I think what incited people there to give you a hard time is because your first post was a FS thread for a poster that is currently being sold for under $150 shipped on average at this point in time; plus, being that it's your first post, you have yet to contribute anything to the boards -- this includes post count, database updates, financial contributions, etc. In addition to that, when it comes to making sales and trades, these things are all looked at because unlike ebay, there is no one to police these things on eb -- except paypal claims, but even that is not all protecting. Not many want to trade nor buy with a new member who has not contributed anything because he/she could be a scammer and who knows if they even know how to properly pack and ship a poster? It's somewhat like buying off ebay and going off a person's feedback. With EB one is more likely to buy from someone they see around the forums more often that has established themselves with a sort of reputation.

Additionally, the poster has been stored in a tube as opposed to flat. People who have been in the poster game for a while do not want a poster that has been stored in a tube. As soon as you get your poster, it should be flattened and stored correctly or framed. Never leave it in a tube. The kraft paper is not acid-free for one; additionally, it will make it a lot harder or maybe even impossible to ever make it perfectly flat again after that. The value of it is thus lower than those that have been stored flat.

As for the next Ghibli, it's Porco Rosso but no new info yet.

vitaminwateryum

corporate swill
Mark Englerts "This Is My Farm" goes on sale this friday. It's a shame the B/W version is only being sold as a set :(. Think I may still go for a regular.

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
I saw your post. Please note that I am not in any way criticizing you. Just stating reasons why some of the board people might be posting such replies, using their reasoning.

I think what incited people there to give you a hard time is because your first post was a FS thread for a poster that is currently being sold for under $150 shipped on average at this point in time; plus, being that it's your first post, you have yet to contribute anything to the boards -- this includes post count, database updates, financial contributions, etc. In addition to that, when it comes to making sales and trades, these things are all looked at because unlike ebay, there is no one to police these things on eb -- except paypal claims, but even that is not all protecting. Not many want to trade nor buy with a new member who has not contributed anything because he/she could be a scammer and who knows if they even know how to properly pack and ship a poster? It's somewhat like buying off ebay and going off a person's feedback. With EB one is more likely to buy from someone they see around the forums more often that has established themselves with a sort of reputation.

Additionally, the poster has been stored in a tube as opposed to flat. People who have been in the poster game for a while do not want a poster that has been stored in a tube. As soon as you get your poster, it should be flattened and stored correctly or framed. Never leave it in a tube. The kraft paper is not acid-free for one; additionally, it will make it a lot harder or maybe even impossible to ever make it perfectly flat again after that. The value of it is thus lower than those that have been stored flat.

As for the next Ghibli, it's Porco Rosso but no new info yet.

See if someone had responded like that, it would've been very helpful. Very little of that information you just wrote out is in the sticky topic on that board.

I'll PM you with additional follow-up questions/comments. I don't want to clutter this thread anymore.

J-Man

That is something I didn't know, either. New to this game. I have a few prints in the tube for over a week that I was waiting on framing, but I'll flatten them out and get them framed ASAP.

I'm hoping to be able to pick up a Captain America print. How fast have Phantom City Creative prints sold out off there site in the past? (assuming they have roughly the same amount each time).

That is something I didn't know, either. New to this game. I have a few prints in the tube for over a week that I was waiting on framing, but I'll flatten them out and get them framed ASAP.

I'm hoping to be able to pick up a Captain America print. How fast have Phantom City Creative prints sold out off there site in the past? (assuming they have roughly the same amount each time).

As fast as a mondo drop if not faster. PCC has add to cart so there isn't a long checkout like mondo and people can cart it and hold it for thirty min. So even if it saids sold out or no longer available, there still might be a chance you can snag one

Thats what it was like for their Back to the Future

J-Man

As fast as a mondo drop if not faster. PCC has add to cart so there isn't a long checkout like mondo and people can cart it and hold it for thirty min. So even if it saids sold out or no longer available, there still might be a chance you can snag one

Thats what it was like for there Back to the Future

Damn. Well, I guess I won't be asking for an extra half hour lunch at work tomorrow to hope and score it. I really wish I had access to the internet on my work computer.

Wait, please keep in mind I mean long term storage in the tube, not short-term. But it's always best to keep your prints flat either way.

Ok, now this time is 100%...

7/4/2012:

Captain America Signed Artist Proof Edition by Phantom City Creative

caparchive_thumb.JPG

24"x36" hand-signed hand numbered artist proof edition of 36. $100 + $25 shipping to US from Canada.

How to buy online: http://phantomcitycreative.bigcartel.com/ between 11 - 12 EST.

7/6/2012:

This is My Farm... I'll Die Here by Mark Englert

(Normal)
This-is-my-farm_I_ll-die-here-FINAL.jpg

(Glow-in-the-dark photo)
This-is-my-farm_I_ll-die-here-gid-FINAL.jpg

12x36
4 colors + glow in the dark layer
one per customer

$50 (175 available) or $80 with sketch (50 being sold) or $100 with zombie portrait sketch (15 being sold).

How to buy online: http://www.tacobelvedere.bigcartel.com/ between 9 - 10 am PST

This is My Farm... I'll Die Here Variant Set by Mark Englert

PastedGraphic-5.jpg

set of two prints:

1st print

12x36

4 colors

2nd print

12x36

1 color on black paper

no glow in the dark ink on either print
one per customer

$125 (50 available) or $150 w/ sketch (25 available) or $175 for a Variant set + a Regular (25 sets available)

How to buy online: http://www.tacobelvedere.bigcartel.com/ between 9 - 10 am PST.

Sleeping Dogs by Tyler Stout

1650-sleeping_dogs.jpg

24x36 / 6 color screenprint on cream paper with metallic inks / printed by D&L Screenprinting

Coming soon.

Pulled the trigger heh. I usually have bad luck getting these things. Was really the only one of the avengers line I really liked too so yay!

matowest

Neo Member
Swing and a miss for me on Captain America. Didn't really need to spend the cash anyway. Congrats to those who got through!

Riptwo

I *just* got a Cap print, so it looks like not everyone who added them to their carts actually went through with checkout. Might be a good time to try again!

Those Fifth Element posters will probably go for $250 a piece because they're all limited and shit. lol

This artist has a bad rap in the community because he's known to do 2nd edition reprints -- or even sell scratch and dented copies instead of destroying them. Both of these actions hurt the integrity of the edition and the after-market value held by collectors.

Lots of new-comers to the game don't know that he reprints his stuff, so because of this I no-longer plan to post about any of his work here. Others can feel free to promote his prints, but I won't bother updating the OP about it. You might even notice the Thread name change that happened a few weeks ago -- Nakatomi was removed and replaced with Dark Hall Mansion.

It would not be a problem for me if he would just state on his site that he's like to do reprints, art editions, etc. in the future, but he does not. People pay higher prices for limited edition posters, when they're limited to x amount. Especially on the after-market. And when you reprint these editions, it screws with the guy who might've paid more for it in the after-market.

Riptwo

This artist has a bad rap in the community because he's known to do 2nd edition reprints -- or even sell scratch and dented copies instead of destroying them. Both of these actions hurt the integrity of the edition and the after-market value held by collectors.

I actually kind of like that he's upfront about trying to make sure that people who like the poster can actually get the poster. I get that it hurts them as a collectible, but I like a lot of Nakatomi prints and I really like that I don't have to jump through hoops to get the interesting ones.

I actually kind of like that he's upfront about trying to make sure that people who like the poster can actually get the poster. I get that it hurts them as a collectible, but I like a lot of Nakatomi prints and I really like that I don't have to jump through hoops to get the interesting ones.

It's not really upfront about it if it doesn't mention it anywhere on the store page. Limited means limited. Just make them open editions if you want to do that.

Captain America APs sold out. Hope you guys scored.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom