• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Pop Culture Art/Posters/Prints Thread (Mondo/ACME/Dark Hall Mansion/etc.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

IronRinn

AzKLcV4CMAIik0T.jpg

GASP!!!!!

Wait, is that yours? Did you get a golden ticket? (Pre-emptively hating you.)

Edit: Oh wait, I see. Man, that's just mean of them isn't it?

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
I'm trying to score a 40x18x15 metal flat file for $100. *fingers crossed*

I just bought one recently on craigslist for 100 bucks. 4 drawers, all deep and huge. Sanded it, and painted it orange. It's now our coffee / board game table in our more formal living room (the man cave is more of the watch TV room).

anyways, it's pretty sweet. I'll try to post a photo. slightly worries me to know people have drinks on it, but we're sealing up the holes in the top and keeping the top drawer pretty light in terms of what prints are in there. also got Glassine on top of every print so the extra layer of protection makes me feel better.

8/1/2012:

Iron Man Artist Proof Edition by Kevin Tong

LARGE_IRON_MAN_0007_Layer_2.jpg

This limited edition poster is a five color screen print on 24 x 36 inch 100 lb Midshift Blue French Cover Paper. Signed & Numbered artist proof edition. $150.

How to buy online: http://tragicsunshine.com/art_prints/iron-man-regular-color @ a random time.

Iron Man Variant Artist Proof Edition by Kevin Tong

LARGE_IRON_MAN_0003_Layer_1.jpg

24" x 36" 5 color Screen Print on 100 lb MidShift Blue French Cover Paper. Signed and numbered artist proof edition. $170

How to buy online: http://tragicsunshine.com/art_prints/iron-man-variant-color @ a random time.

War of the Worlds by Kevin Tong

LARGE_WELLS_0007_Layer_2.jpg

18" x 24" 3 color Screen Print on 100 lb White Cover Paper. Edition of 200, signed and numbered. $45

How to buy online: http://tragicsunshine.com/art_prints/the-war-of-the-worlds @ a random time.

The Time Machine by Kevin Tong

LARGE_WELLS_0003_Layer_1.jpg

18" x 24" 2 color Screen Print on 100 lb Lemon Yellow French Cover Paper. Edition of 200, signed and numbered. $45

How to buy online: http://tragicsunshine.com/art_prints/the-time-machine @ a random time.

H.G. WELLS SETS

Both the War of the Worlds and The Time Machine Prints can be purchased as a set (no matching numbers can be guaranteed since the matching numbered sets sold out at Comic Con International) for the discounted price of $75 (standard shipping fees apply). To purchase the set, just select from the drop down menu from either The War of the Worlds sale page or The Time Machine sale page.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Man I want that Iron man, but 170 dollars... sheeeeesh.

At SDCC, he put them on sale Saturday afternoon for 200 and 250.

The next day he dropped the price to the 150/170 and refunded folks who had paid the day-before prices.

I still think they are slightly too expensive at 150/170. The regulars don't even (or just barely) command that secondary market. Gorgeous prints though

The Time Machine/War of the World prints are hot though.

Sigma722

Nice! Can I rent space in your flat file? haha

Gotta get it first. Some engineering firm is closing down, and liquidating. They want $150. I'm trying to save a bit for the next month considering this awesome amount of hopefully-short-term debt I'm going into to become married. So hoping $100 works. It's hard to pass up if it does.

I just bought one recently on craigslist for 100 bucks. 4 drawers, all deep and huge. Sanded it, and painted it orange. It's now our coffee / board game table in our more formal living room (the man cave is more of the watch TV room).

anyways, it's pretty sweet. I'll try to post a photo. slightly worries me to know people have drinks on it, but we're sealing up the holes in the top and keeping the top drawer pretty light in terms of what prints are in there. also got Glassine on top of every print so the extra layer of protection makes me feel better.

Nice! I'd like to stick this one in the living room, but was shooting for the corner. If we could repurpose it as a table in the middle..... It might fly. And yes. Photos.

Tong Stuff.

I was totally going to post that, but got REAAAALLLY lazy :)

EDIT:

The Time Machine/War of the World prints are hot though.

Yeah that those prints are awesome. If you havnt' seen it, he made a video showing the time machine being made:
http://youtu.be/ZJhtSZHE2k8

Miroku

When might this random time occur for the Kevin Tong posters? Am I supposed to just sit here F5'ing w/no sleep for the next few days or something?

When might this random time occur for the Kevin Tong posters? Am I supposed to just sit here F5'ing w/no sleep for the next few days or something?

No. Follow him on twitter. https://twitter.com/tragicsunshine

He will tweet a few minutes before he drops his posters. Usually something along the lines of "so and so will be up in just a few minutes." Then you start F5ing =)

Well, that's what he usually does. Likely he'll do the same thing this time around.

I accidentally left out this very important info:

Kevin Tong said:
H.G. WELLS SETS

Both the War of the Worlds and The Time Machine Prints can be purchased as a set (no matching numbers can be guaranteed since the matching numbered sets sold out at Comic Con International) for the discounted price of $75 (standard shipping fees apply). To purchase the set, just select from the drop down menu from either The War of the Worlds sale page or The Time Machine sale page.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
The Tyler Stout ESB print I won at SDCC for finding Workman just showed up from him in perfect condition, signed, and numbered AP 1/50.

:-D :-D :-D

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Must feel good.

Congrats!

total dumb luck, really, just happened to see him when leaving on Thursday or Friday. And then just happened to have my number pulled. I didn't even have a choice of the four prints as I was picked fourth, but still got Empire.

I'm scared this is going to create a need to track down SW and ROTJ tho (kinda like Mononoke made me finally bite the bullet on Totoro)

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Would love that Iron Man one, but the price...

I now have the Dark Knight Rises, and the Bourne print. My walls finally are starting to get some character.

I just have no idea how to frame them. I usually just to a cheap Target black frame. :p I don't have the money to spend $100 framing.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Would love that Iron Man one, but the price...

I now have the Dark Knight Rises, and the Bourne print. My walls finally are starting to get some character.

I just have no idea how to frame them. I usually just to a cheap Target black frame. :p I don't have the money to spend $100 framing.

check out american frame... you also really should do some sort of framing that has: spacing (you don't want the prints touching the glass), UV glass (if it gets any light at all to protect it), and acid-free backing.

Framing is definitely not cheap, though you can DIY for a lot of stuff, and still go matless while making sure your prints are protected.

that said, even I have some cheaper stuff or S&Ds that are in cheaper frames. Though I've tried to migrate everything in recent years to more archival type set-ups for long-term protection

omgkitty

It looks like we are FINALLY going to get a new episode of A Life Well Wasted, which possibly means a new Moss print! Here's to hoping!

robertashley: For the next 12 days, I've got nothing to do but work on A Life Well Wasted Ep 7.

It looks like we are FINALLY going to get a new episode of A Life Well Wasted, which possibly means a new Moss print! Here's to hoping!

Oh thank god. It's been too long. As it gets closer I'll have to listen to 1-6 again. :)

Still annoyed I didn't realize how popular those posters were back then. Really wanted that Help poster.

omgkitty

Oh thank god. It's been too long. As it gets closer I'll have to listen to 1-6 again. :)

Still annoyed I didn't realize how popular those posters were back then. Really wanted that Help poster.

Yeah I was one of those people who always considered grabbing one but never did. This was back when Olly was "That cool guy who does the A Life Well Wasted prints"! Now we have to contend with crazy people haha. It's been what now? Two years? We definitely need a new episode of that and Out of the Game as well. Both awesome podcasts featuring Robert Ashley!

BreakyBoy

o_O @_@ O_o
Yeah I was one of those people who always considered grabbing one but never did. This was back when Olly was "That cool guy who does the A Life Well Wasted prints"! Now we have to contend with crazy people haha. It's been what now? Two years? We definitely need a new episode of that and Out of the Game as well. Both awesome podcasts featuring Robert Ashley!

I am a proud owner of two of his ALWW prints. Here's hoping he's got another one in him. Either way though, I'm just happy another episode is on the way.

IronRinn

Just saw this. Awesome news. One of my favorite podcasts. Glad I picked up those posters when they were first released, some of the asking prices for them are stupid expensive ($400+ for Gotta Catch Em All?) I still remember the pain of missing out on the first printing of Help and the relief upon hearing of a second run.

Edit: No affinity for the film, but that Notorious print is very nice.

Edit, the 2nd: Man, Tong really pushes the prices up there on his APs. Means his Super Lab will probably be $150 or so. Damn.

HTuran

For those sat anxiously checking Twitter, Olly confirmed on EB that the Mononoke Variants won't be dropping this week.

Sigma722

So the site will show shipped but it doesn't actually ship until the site shows a tracking number? The site has shown my TDKR print as shipped for a couple days but doesn't show a tracking number.

I'm kind of going off of the fact that my old orders have the tracking number in the order summary, where as this one doesn't. Mine has also been in shipped status for about a week, and I haven't seen it yet, or got an email saying it is shipped like I normally get.

It's definitely possible that it is on its way though, and they just had to do stuff differently this time because of the volume

Sigma722

You might need to view it on a different computer. Someone was saying the F5ers get blocked after a number of refreshes :-/

BreakyBoy

o_O @_@ O_o
I was on my way back to the office from lunch, when I heard the twitter noise from my phone. Glanced at my phone at the stop light, and then immediately pulled into a gas station to feverishly try to get the set with my phone.

I have an order confirmation from PayPal for the H.G. Wells set. So, success? :D

IronRinn

A Kickstarter, but still pretty interesting: Ukiyo-E Heroes

Images2.jpg

Images1.jpg

Images6.jpg

Images7.jpg

[...]To celebrate Japan's contribution to video games, illustrator Jed Henry has taken his favorite game characters, and returned them to the ukiyo-e style. Modern costuming has been traded for the medieval, but the essence of each character remains, proving that you can't take the Ukiyo out of these modern pop icons.

The goal is to make actual woodblock prints out of them starting with Rickshaw Cart.

I can't get the damn page to load. Any tips?

You've been IP blocked for F5ing too much. Use an anonymous IP to access the site: http://zend2.com/index.php

I was on my way back to the office from lunch, when I heard the twitter noise from my phone. Glanced at my phone at the stop light, and then immediately pulled into a gas station to feverishly try to get the set with my phone.

I have an order confirmation from PayPal for the H.G. Wells set. So, success? :D

Congrats!

Sigma722

Good on you for pulling over ;-) :-D

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
check out american frame... you also really should do some sort of framing that has: spacing (you don't want the prints touching the glass), UV glass (if it gets any light at all to protect it), and acid-free backing.

Framing is definitely not cheap, though you can DIY for a lot of stuff, and still go matless while making sure your prints are protected.

that said, even I have some cheaper stuff or S&Ds that are in cheaper frames. Though I've tried to migrate everything in recent years to more archival type set-ups for long-term protection

Yeah, I wouldn't even know what to order on there for a frame. :p I have no idea on any of it. Just black frames? What matting? Do I even need matting or do I put the picture close to the frame?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom