• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Pop Culture Art/Posters/Prints Thread (Mondo/ACME/Dark Hall Mansion/etc.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BreakyBoy

o_O @_@ O_o
Carted the variant but just couldn't pull the trigger...$250 :\

Grabbed the regular. I like the composition with the full cityscape on an island thing going. The only thing is I wish it had the quote from the variant. I can live without the villain faces. Especially at that price.

Of course this means I have two TDKR prints. As much as I love Olly's Bats, I'm thinking I might prefer this one. We'll see when I get it in person. I can always give the Olly print as a gift to someone.

For those lamenting not getting the drop, let me try to make you feel better:

- Look at the image of the print.
- Squint a little.
- Realize that it kind of looks like Batman has iddy-bitty T-Rex arms, and he seems to be eating a sandwich.

Grabbed the regular. I like the composition with the full cityscape on an island thing going. The only thing is I wish it had the quote from the variant. I can live without the villain faces. Especially at that price.

Of course this means I have two TDKR prints. As much as I love Olly's Bats, I'm thinking I might prefer this one. We'll see when I get it in person. I can always give the Olly print as a gift to someone.

For those lamenting not getting the drop, let me try to make you feel better:

- Look at the image of the print.
- Squint a little.
- Realize that it kind of looks like Batman has iddy-bitty T-Rex arms, and he seems to be eating a sandwich.

*crustless sandwich ;)

8/21/2012:

A Nightmare On Elm Street Artist Proof Edition by Jay Shaw

e1337143730.jpg

18″ x 24″ Screenprint, Signed AP Edition of 30, $40

How to buy online: http://www.postersandtoys.net/servlet/Categories?category=New+Stuff @ 2 PM CST

Mimic Artist Proof Edition by Jay Shaw

MIMICfinal2000px-1.jpg

18″ x 24″ Screenprint, Signed AP Edition of 33, $40. NOT Signed by Guillermo Del Toro, but signed by Jay Shaw.

How to buy online: http://www.postersandtoys.net/servlet/Categories?category=New+Stuff @ 2 PM CST

Rocky III Artist Proof Edition by Jay Shaw

e1339002508.jpg

24″ x 18" Screenprint, Signed AP Edition of 30, $40.

Paths of Glory Artist Proof Edition by Jay Shaw

e1339002433.jpg

18″ x 24″ Screenprint, Signed AP Edition of 39, $40.

LiK

TDKR replacement print arrived. i honestly don't see a huge difference. the mouth part is a tad lighter i guess. lol, i knew maybe the JPEG that was on the blog probably wasn't an accurate image of the final print. glad they did replacements anyways tho.

time to flatten again.

what's a good dollar value to spend on a frame? and can any of you guys direct to me to a good FAQ for framing or alternative ways to show off the posters?

So Star Wars Celebration in Orlando this weekend, lot of exclusive SW prints for sale at the show, not sure if I should bite. I love Dave Dorman's stuff and hes got this up for preorder to those who are attending: http://www.davedorman.com/swc6print.shtml His prints usually go for higher than that and you can preorder this year, unlike past Celebrations which was first come first serve for all artists... so yea buyer frenzies the first day.... still it's alot of money...

B33

Banned
what's a good dollar value to spend on a frame? and can any of you guys direct to me to a good FAQ for framing or alternative ways to show off the posters?

I can impart what I've learned thus far despite the concept still being fresh to me. I warn you, it's a bit of a trek, but I believe it may help to have a general understanding before visiting a shop.

Framing your piece serves a plethora of functions not just for an aesthetic purpose, but also preservation. On the surface, it's about nicely accentuating the piece of work you've purchased. But delve a bit deeper and you'd be surprised what can happen to the print over time.

With that said, properly framing a piece of work is not "dirt" cheap. Frugality is not always indicative of scantness, as one can wisely spend their money during this process without breaking the bank. As I said before, preservation is why we frame items. The wondrous and daunting thing about framing are the many options available.

The border (frame) around the item is where one usually starts. You can go as cheap as a scant piece of wood or as lavish as something carved out of bronze. It's up to you. The work's hanging on your wall — you're the one that has to look at it (presumably) every day. Keep in mind that if you utilize glass and have a particularly large print, more weight will be distributed across the frame when it is mounted.

How you wish to have it mounted on the frame with a backboard is also something you need to consider. Do you opt for adhesive or non-adhesive? These are important things to deliberate. If it's an adhesive and it's not reversible, the artwork will be damaged. Stains, translucency, embrittlement, and creases can be incurred if improper materials are utilized.

The barrier placed between in front of the piece can either be acrylic or glass. There are pros and cons to either option, but glass often ends up being the cheaper alternative. Depending on where you have something framed, you may be able to obtain UV resistant plate of glass (light deteriorates paper), as well as anti-glare. Obviously, these "features" will drive up the cost.

When mounting the artwork inside the frame, the preference is not to let it touch the barrier. Why? Should any condensation form (and one should just presume it will), the print will adhere to the glass or acrylic. Separating the work at that point of deterioration will destroy the print. Milder inflictions could be having the ink partially transfer from the paper to the plate. There are two options. Spacers can be placed to prevent the piece from touching the frame. There is also another concept you may be familiar with.

Mattes. They seemingly appear to be just borders that run on the inside of the frame to accentuate the piece. While they can (and most certainly do) make artwork even more distinguishable, they also serve a far more important purpose. The paper (depending on what's used) and the ink (again, depending on which process is used, what ink was picked, and so on) are acidic in nature. Mattes help maintain a balancing act between an alkalotic and acidic state. Either extreme will corrode the work over time. Do understand that this is strictly good matting materials — lignin removed and a pH of at least 7.

Other NeoGaf members have recommended visiting local shops and I'd also attest to this. Unless you can find a store such as Michael's that's offering a sale, you'll end up paying far more.

Regardless of where you go, framing is going to more than likely require just as much expenditure as the print itself (depending on what you paid for it, of course). The larger the print, the more it'll cost. You've already spent the money and the artwork is purportedly irreplaceable (or damn near it!) if it's of the same ilk as to what's shared in this thread. Properly framing it will protect it — allowing you to enjoy it for years to come or sell it down the line in a pristine state.

I'm not aware of any alternative methods to traditional framing (besides dry hanging with just a frame), but I do recommend you research it on your own time and visit local shops. Ask for an estimate and discuss what options are available to you. Don't feel like you're committed once a price is handed to you, as you can alway take the print elsewhere.

Of course, you could bypass the cost of a professional framer by purchasing the materials yourself (including a pre-constructed frame). It'd require the proper tools, time, and considerable research, but it is certainly possible.

8/21/2012:

Breaking Bad by Ken Taylor

427257_10151207237873974_431969692_n.jpg

24"x36" screen print. Hand-numbered edition of 300. $75

How to buy online: http://itsoverweresafe.com sometime in the afternoon PAC time.

Plus, the leftover prints from the Gallery 1988 Breaking Bad show will go up later today as well.

IronRinn

Yeah, Mike is the only blemish on an otherwise beautiful poster. (He didn't quite nail Odenkirk, either. Not badly drawn but not a very good likeness.)

In related news, according to someone who went to the show both Mitchell's giclee and his print of Hank were sold out. Time to start hunting on the aftermarket.

Sigma722

Yeah, I thought that a little strange too.

Maybe jesse in front, and walt jr. where jesse is now. With big walt in the background. I dunno, I still dig it.

B33

Banned
I dig that print aside from Walt appearing twice, which I find a little odd.

I believe the idea is to have the entire cast residing in the "shadow" of Heisenberg — including Walter White himself. Why? The series rests upon the web of lies and ill-doing of Walter White as he transforms into another person entirely. Viewing the first episode of Breaking Bad and watching the most recent installment will affirm this.

Sigma722

the site is being redirected because it hasn't been officially revealed yet. someone had guessed all of the urls a long time ago, hence why we know what it is..

IronRinn

what time will the 1988 stuff go online? Any chance for me to get the yellow poster of Walter and Jessie in biohaz suits

You can sign up for their newsletter. Prints usually go up at a random time although most of the emails I have were received around 9:00-11:00 EST or 1:00/1:30 EST.

The print you mentioned seems to have sold out at the show, according to someone who attended.

@B33

thanks for your advice, I'll go talk to a bunch of farming shops. For some reason there is like ten of them in my area. What's a good ball park to spend? I'm going to say 60'ish is what i would like to spend.

Aw man i wanted that poster =(

@B33

thanks for your advice, I'll go talk to a bunch of farming shops. For some reason there is like ten of them in my area. What's a good ball park to spend? I'm going to say 60'ish is what i would like to spend.

Aw man i wanted that poster =(

How much you spend on framing will vary depending on what kind of frames, glass, size of prints, etc. Each shop will also likely give you various quotes so yea just got to shop around. The frame you choose can make a big difference in price also so you got to see what your willing to spend for the kind of frame you want, and ask for the cheapest options they have too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom