• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Pop Culture Art/Posters/Prints Thread (Mondo/ACME/Dark Hall Mansion/etc.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I missed all the good stuff, I got a willy wonka print. Olly Moss was sold out due to internets

IMG_1131.JPG

B33

Banned
I've never hung a frame (print, artwork, poster, etc.) before and was wondering if fellow members here could impart some advice on how to do before I begin hammering nails into my wall?

Ban Puncher

I've never hung a frame (print, artwork, poster, etc.) before and was wondering if fellow members here could impart some advice on how to do so before I begin hammering nails into my wall?

Before you blindly hammer into empty drywall or electrical wiring, use an electronic stud finder.

Make sure you do the whole 'hey this really does work!' whilst pointing it at yourself joke to annoy significant other/children (pets work if desperate).

LiK

ok, did anyone else request a replacement from Mondo regarding the TDKR print? they replied after a few email exchanges and are gonna send me a replacement. The only thing is that i have to return the one they shipped out originally. kinda annoying since i've been getting it flatten expecting the second one to be shipped for free, lol...guess not.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
ok, did anyone else request a replacement from Mondo regarding the TDKR print? they replied after a few email exchanges and are gonna send me a replacement. The only thing is that i have to return the one they shipped out originally. kinda annoying since i've been getting it flatten expecting the second one to be shipped for free, lol...guess not.

they were making people return the TDKR prints (rather than destroy them)... why would you care if the first is flat if you didn't care about it, they all roll nice and easy whether they are flat or tubed...

BreakyBoy

o_O @_@ O_o
Was expecting to keep both prints heh

Then they're just going to end up reprinting the majority of them as a whole lot of people will try to game the system to get more than one poster.

In my experience, when a supplier/artist is nice enough/able to get you another print to replace a damaged one, they usually ask you to ship the first one back. They want to avoid the possibility of the misprint/damaged prints showing up in the aftermarket.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Then they're just going to end up reprinting the majority of them as a whole lot of people will try to game the system to get more than one poster.

In my experience, when a supplier/artist is nice enough/able to get you another print to replace a damaged one, they usually ask you to ship the first one back. They want to avoid the possibility of the misprint/damaged prints showing up in the aftermarket.

Depends, I've also just been asked for photos of the destroyed print with the number visible.

And I HIGHLY doubt the majority of people ship their TDKR prints back... maybe 1%. Maybe

LiK

they were making people return the TDKR prints (rather than destroy them)... why would you care if the first is flat if you didn't care about it, they all roll nice and easy whether they are flat or tubed...

i already mentioned in a previous post that i did not intend to return it cuz it didn't look that bad. i only asked them about the defect and they're offering replacements in the next email. but i'll send it back since the return is simple.

Was expecting to keep both prints heh

indeed. also, i asked them about the numbering as well. not sure i want to return it if it's just a blank without a limit on it. might be less authentic if i wanna sell it in the future.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
i already mentioned in a previous post that i did not intend to return it cuz it didn't look that bad. i only asked them about the defect and they're offering replacements in the next email. but i'll send it back since the return is simple.

indeed. also, i asked them about the numbering as well. not sure i want to return it if it's just a blank without a limit on it. might be less authentic if i wanna sell it in the future.

nah, it'll be a numbered edition, they may re-number it the same as the one you got or something, but Mondo won't ship you something unnumbered.

Depends, I've also just been asked for photos of the destroyed print with the number visible.

And I HIGHLY doubt the majority of people ship their TDKR prints back... maybe 1%. Maybe

That's what they hope and want usually. Instead of going through the trouble of having to replace, making people send it back will reduce the amount they have to do most likely. Lot of retailers do this for their various product replacements on purpose

Up now:

Hat Trick by Tom Whalen

WHALENBLOG.jpg

NOTE- At the time of this writing (3am CT), over half the run is already sold out!

Instead of our normal 7" print set, we went BIG BIG this time around with Tom Whalen's amazing 'Hat Trick' print, and upsized it to a glorious 12" square! Includes two standard sized prints by Aye Jay featuring everyone's cursed book of evil- the Necronomicon! You get 3 great prints packed in custom printed 12" chipboard record jackets- all in matched numbered sets- edition of 100! $25.

These sets are in hand and ready to ship- sets will ship flat- so no curling!

How to buy online: http://store.nakatomiinc.com/pop-subvol4-tomwhalen.aspx

IronRinn

Mike Mitchell tweeted this preview of his fifth piece for Gallery1988's Breaking Bad show.

Need this one. His Willy Wonka portrait is one of my favorite pieces.

Edit: Sorry about the lack of an image. Posting from my phone.

Axiom

I'd been waiting to hear from Mondo about never receiving my Avengers print and it turns out they were waiting to see if the print turned back up at their end. They've printed me a new one, shipped it out and provided a custom number to track it.

So yay!

That is pretty and clever!

Have their been many decent Nightmare on Elm Street inspired designs people know of?

Have their been many decent Nightmare on Elm Street inspired designs people know of?

Yup, the best one ever by Rheem Davis

7422644344_e349bc0b16_b.jpg

Not easy to get and goes for quite alot. I was able to get one for a decent but high price but that was because it had edge damage (was able to frame it out).

He recently did this new one below because of so much demand for the above one. It's similar but not as awesome as the original, but you can get it for a fair price still unlike the above print that your going to pay 400+ for. Rheem Davis does amazing work with the metalic inks that the pictures don't convey either as in person hey come out as almost 3D looking. The glove for example on the top one feels like its popping out of the picture when you see it in person.

6892962242_8ed3e3b32d_z.jpg

Jay Shaw did this awesome print.

Ugh did not like that one at all

IronRinn

Is that gonna be an addition to the Breaking Gifs' line of prints?

I believe all the pieces in the show are new and not part of the Breaking Gifs series. Someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Also, I like that Raid poster, regardless of not having seen the film. The credits could go but I like the idea.

Meier

Either Page Monitor is acting up or Mondo is just fucking with us because it keeps going off over some minor change over and over lately. :(

Edit: Like clockwork, it just went off 4 minutes after this post!

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
How do you guys go about framing your prints?

Do you do it yourself or get them professionally done?

What prints I have framed, I've done it myself using Displays 2 Go or el cheapo Art to Frames.

There are a couple of prints I have that I do want to have professionally done or pay more for better frames for archival purposes, but I never get around to it.

At this point, I'm looking more into storage solutions. Nearly everything I have that isn't up is rolled up. I really want a flat file to store everything.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
I get it done professionally, got a local small mom and pop place that does it cheap as heck. Shopping around locally is usually best, just stay away from any big chain stores.

yup, my local store is pretty killer in that regard too. Right next door to a strip club, but my framing is so cheap compared to what Aaron Bros or something would charge, and the work is just as good if not better

LiK

I get it done professionally, got a local small mom and pop place that does it cheap as heck. Shopping around locally is usually best, just stay away from any big chain stores.

what would you consider cheap? i hardly get anything framed professionally since it might cost more than the print and frame combined.

what would you consider cheap? i hardly get anything framed professionally since it might cost more than the print and frame combined.

I get 24x36's done for around $60. You will pay 150-300$ (even with their supposed 50-60% off sales) at the big retail chains and you will wait several weeks to over a month for it. My local dude gets it done in 24hrs.

LiK

I get 24x36's done for around $60. You will pay 150-300$ (even with their supposed 50-60% off sales) at the big retail chains and you will wait several weeks to over a month for it. My local dude gets it done in 24hrs.

damn, i wanna go to your local dude.

damn, i wanna go to your local dude.

Well I also don't go for any fancy frames or expensive options. I usually stick to simple nice looking frames and basic everything. I've paid much more if I wanted to get highly specific with a unique frame, special matting, etc.

omgkitty

scaled_e1345044266.jpg

Poster by Jock. 20"x36" screen print. Hand numbered. Edition of 275. Printed by D&L Screenprinting. $45

e1345044358.jpg

Poster by Tom Whalen. 18"x24" screen print. Hand numbered. Edition of 270. Printed by D&L Screenprinting. $40

e1345044391.jpg

Poster by Tom Whalen. 18"x24" screen print. Hand numbered. Edition of 95. Printed by D&L Screenprinting. $65

e1345047205.jpg

Poster by Tom Whalen. 18"x24" screen print. Hand numbered. Edition of 275. Printed by D&L Screenprinting. $45

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom