• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Pop Culture Art/Posters/Prints Thread (Mondo/ACME/Dark Hall Mansion/etc.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Up now:

Creature from the Black Lagoon Artist Proof Edition by Francesco Francavilla

creature_from_black_lagoon_francavilla_low.jpg

24" x 36" screen print. Signed and numbered AP edition of 23.

This is the special San Diego Comicon 2012 Mondo edition. Printed by D+L Screen Printing. Limit one print per household. Allow 3-4 weeks for delivery.

All prints are signed, numbered, and remarqued by the artist.

$300

How to buy online: http://francavilla.bigcartel.com/product/creature-of-the-black-lagoon-ap

It's all carted though. Just keep F5ing till it's sold out if you really want one...

Up now:

Link by Mike Oeming

Zelda_Link_Mike_Oeming_PRESS_START_1.jpg

Inspired by Zelda, this Limited Edition Print was done exclusively for the PRESS START group show at Ltd.

* Limited Edition Giclee on Watercolor Paper
* 25 piece hand-numbered edition
* Signed by artist Mike Oeming
* Measurements: 15" by 20"

How to buy online: http://www.ltdartgallery.com/product/link-by-mike-oeming-paper-15-x-20

Skyrim by Mike Oeming

Skyrim_Mike_Oeming_PRESS_START_1.jpg

Inspired by Skyrim, this Limited Edition Print was done exclusively for the PRESS START group show at Ltd.

* Limited Edition Giclee on Watercolor Paper
* 25 piece hand-numbered edition
* Signed by artist Mike Oeming
* Measurements: 15" by 20"

How to buy online: http://www.ltdartgallery.com/product/skyrim-by-mike-oeming-paper-15-x-20

Meier

I really wanted to get that Jurassic Park one. It's so different than the feel I'd expect for it but I just loved the design. The text for being sold out came before it being on sale even popped up, sadly. Page Monitor has been so wonky, I had a notification but forgot to check it in advance so I guess it didn't ping again when they added JP.

omgkitty

I've noticed that this thread has been a lot slower in the last few weeks and it makes me wonder if I'm not the only one who's been feeling a little "poster-logged" lately. I feel like the market is just flooded with way too many posters right now. These last few months have been crazy busy, with some weeks (not counting SDCC) having 3 or 4 high profile releases within a matter of days. I guess it's good if you wan't to buy something as things are cheap, but it seems like everyone is poor and needs money at the moment from the overspending. Just wondering if anyone else felt this way?

matowest

Neo Member
I've noticed that this thread has been a lot slower in the last few weeks and it makes me wonder if I'm not the only one who's been feeling a little "poster-logged" lately. I feel like the market is just flooded with way too many posters right now. These last few months have been crazy busy, with some weeks (not counting SDCC) having 3 or 4 high profile releases within a matter of days. I guess it's good if you wan't to buy something as things are cheap, but it seems like everyone is poor and needs money at the moment from the overspending. Just wondering if anyone else felt this way?

Definitely feeling the same way. There's certainly been a saturation of the market on just about everything in the last few months, particularly between regular editions being released and the AP drops that follow. A lot of it is great stuff, but it does hurt the wallet considerably. I know when I have zero money to spend, I stay far away from the thread to avoid being tempted to spend cash I don't have.

You may be on to something, but I am still prepared to buy some treasures at Fantastic Fest.

omgkitty

Definitely feeling the same way. There's certainly been a saturation of the market on just about everything in the last few months, particularly between regular editions being released and the AP drops that follow. A lot of it is great stuff, but it does hurt the wallet considerably. I know when I have zero money to spend, I stay far away from the thread to avoid being tempted to spend cash I don't have.

Yeah I had to stop myself from buying What's Opera, Doc? yesterday because I knew I didn't have the money and that some really cool stuff would be coming soon. I've been avoiding EB like the plague lately too.

You may be on to something, but I am still prepared to buy some treasures at Fantastic Fest.

Oh no doubt. They had me at "Olly Moss will be there". Are you going?

BreakyBoy

o_O @_@ O_o
Yeah, the time spanning around/during SDCC was just a deluge of interesting prints. I come home every day and see the poster tube fort I still need to sort through, and I just don't want to spend the money anymore.

Then again, I still peek around every now and then, and stuff like Englert's Dr. Who and Six Feet Under prints make me all excited again.

omgkitty

Yeah, the time spanning around/during SDCC was just a deluge of interesting prints. I come home every day and see the poster tube fort I still need to sort through, and I just don't want to spend the money anymore.

Then again, I still peek around every now and then, and stuff like Englert's Dr. Who and Six Feet Under prints make me all excited again.

Yeah I've gotten into this weird of habit of mostly only being interested in Moss prints lately. It makes my life a lot easier, but it also makes things much more expensive.

Meier

By the way, Mockingbird, I really appreciate the work you do in this thread. Keep it up.

For sure, hats off to Mockingbird for his tireless efforts!

I will definitely try and meet Moss at Fantastic Fest. I hope we have a GAF meetup.. been trying to get one going for Austin.

Risible

The problem is that every artist and their brother saw the success of the pop culture prints put out by Mondo in the last few years and has jumped on the bandwagon. Now everyone wants a piece of the action. Every little thing has to have an accompanying special edition screen print to go with it - it's gotten kinda cynical.

The problem is that every artist and their brother saw the success of the pop culture prints put out by Mondo in the last few years and has jumped on the bandwagon. Now everyone wants a piece of the action. Every little thing has to have an accompanying special edition screen print to go with it - it's gotten kinda cynical.

Pretty much, these types of posters were much more rare in their release. Now we tend to have a couple new releases each day it almost feels like of some sort. The value of the prints I think is showing their decline with the more recent stuff, while some artists, well it feels like they are just taking advantage with ever increasing prices on AP's.

There's great stuff being pumped out no doubt, but with limited wallspace and all the money involved, it's getting hard to stay into this. I'm pretty much done buying new prints though if something really must have pops up for me I'll get it and try to find a place for it. I don't buy these things for collecting, I want them for display so I have to usually take something down for a new print or rotate my art around.

For sure, hats off to Mockingbird for his tireless efforts!

I will definitely try and meet Moss at Fantastic Fest. I hope we have a GAF meetup.. been trying to get one going for Austin.

Thanks! I just want to make you guys spend more money!

I agree there are far too many releases compared to last year though. Last year around this time I was always waiting for the next release and would be excited. Now with so many prints, it's just not the same.

omgkitty

So it looks like the USPS tried to deliver my Mononoke today, but I wasn't here to sign for it. They left a delivery notice for me saying its available for pickup tomorrow. Now does this mean they will try again tomorrow or do I actually have to go pick it up now? If so, ugh.

So it looks like the USPS tried to deliver my Mononoke today, but I wasn't here to sign for it. They left a delivery notice for me saying its available for pickup tomorrow. Now does this mean they will try again tomorrow or do I actually have to go pick it up now? If so, ugh.

I deal with this every time. You can check the box on the slip, leave it in your mailbox, and they will try will try to deliver it again (probably Monday). Or just go to the PO with your slip.

omgkitty

I deal with this every time. You can check the box on the slip, leave it in your mailbox, and they will try will try to deliver it again (probably Monday). Or just go to the PO with your slip.

The post office is only open for 3 hours tomorrow. So dumb. I went online to their website and filled out some form so they should deliver it tomorrow. I can't wait to see it. I hope it's okay and didn't get messed up at all.

The post office is only open for 3 hours tomorrow. So dumb. I went online to their website and filled out some form so they should deliver it tomorrow. I can't wait to see it. I hope it's okay and didn't get messed up at all.

Oh yeah I forgot about that. They recommended that last time. But for me the post office is between me and work. They know me as the dude who gets the poster tubes. They're always shocked when I tell them how much the insurance on the tubes are:

"THAT TUBE is worth $500???"

"More actually"

People camp the site, refreshing constantly in order to catch them as soon as they go live on the shop. [/URL].

This is why I gave up on Mondo. To buy a poster I shouldn't have to choose between either spending 2-3 hours refreshing a website or spending $200-$300 on eBay. They think otherwise, either because they're stupid or because they "resell" a percentage of the prints on eBay themselves. Whichever, I removed them from my Twitter feed about six months ago. I think most of their designs are hackneyed anyway, but I'm still bitter about the JC Richard Jurassic Park poster.

Anyway, the last poster I bought was this one (I can't recall the site/artist's name):

kXhbt.jpg

I liked it better online than I do in person.

omgkitty

This is why I gave up on Mondo. To buy a poster I shouldn't have to choose between either spending 2-3 hours refreshing a website or spending $200-$300 on eBay. They think otherwise, either because they're stupid or because they "resell" a percentage of the prints on eBay themselves. Whichever, I removed them from my Twitter feed about six months ago. I think most of their designs are hackneyed anyway, but I'm still bitter about the JC Richard Jurassic Park poster.

Anyway, the last poster I bought was this one (I can't recall the site/artist's name):

kXhbt.jpg

I liked it better online than I do in person.

Everyone's a critic.
image.php

Sorry, I must be reading this wrong, are you suggesting that Mondo holds back some of their prints, and sells them on eBay?

Yes, although I strongly doubt that they do. I think the reality is simply that they'd rather be "keeping it pure" than "satisfying demand" and "making more money". To me there is nothing "pure" about selling posters to opportunistic resellers, and thus I think Mondo's idealism is stupid.

If that Drive poster existed in 16x24 I would eat it up.

I found the site, 17x23 is the closest size they offer:

http://society6.com/product/Drive-hjy_Print

omgkitty

Anyone here going to the gallery opening at Mondo on Friday? i09 posted this:

original.jpg

This new poster, which we're featuring exclusively here at io9, is part of a new Mondo exhibition opening this Friday in Austin, featuring Drake and Robert Brandenburg. Also featured in the exhibit: two more Blade Runner posters by Drake, plus Drake's sleek 80s-inspired poster art for Metropolis, Black Swan, Kill Bill and more. The above 24 x 36 poster will be available for sale from Mondo on Friday, for $60, and it's a limited edition of 125 copies.

Timbuktu

There's great stuff being pumped out no doubt, but with limited wallspace and all the money involved, it's getting hard to stay into this

Dunno about that, been lurking this thread for a while and it seems to me that the good stuff is surrounded by a lot of drivel now. Mondo must feel like they are printing money. I really love the Olly prints, but then others are often very lazy. If I get a print now, I would have to love the print even if I disregard whatever pop culture it is related to; the big name properties get used too often and it is hard to do it again and again and add something new.

9/11/2012:

You Are My Lucky Star (Green Variant) by Mark Englert

you-are-my-lucky-star-PMS-326.jpg

36"x12" screen print. signed/numbered. $50.

How to buy online: http://nineteeneightyeight.com/search?q=englert&Submit.x=0&Submit.y=0 @ around 10 am Pacific time.

Free Mars by Rhys Cooper

TOTALRECALLFISTpropagandaposterfinWEB.jpg

12"x36" screen print. signed/numbered. $50.

How to buy online: http://nineteeneightyeight.com/search?q=rhys+cooper @ around 10 am Pacific time.

Vivir Libre New York by Rhys Cooper

ESCAPEFROMNEWYORKpropagandaposterWEB.jpg

12"x36" screen print. signed/numbered. $50.

How to buy online: http://nineteeneightyeight.com/search?q=rhys+cooper @ around 10 am Pacific time.

BreakyBoy

o_O @_@ O_o
I guess that means I wouldn't mind owning some "DeviantArt".

I often disagree with your taste, and think you're way too critical of some pieces I love, but we're on the same page here. I think that's a great Blade Runner piece. If I get a shot, I might try for one.

I'm still waffling on that Superlab one though, so maybe not.

omgkitty

I often disagree with your taste, and think you're way too critical of some pieces I love, but we're on the same page here. I think that's a great Blade Runner piece. If I get a shot, I might try for one.

I'm still waffling on that Superlab one though, so maybe not.

Now you make me want to go back and figure out what I've said to make you feel this way :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom