• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Pop Culture Art/Posters/Prints Thread (Mondo/ACME/Dark Hall Mansion/etc.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

HTuran

Missed out on the Danger letterpress. Had it carted immediately, but got server errors for 20 mins during checkout. Here's hoping for better luck next time!

Risible

Missed out on the Danger letterpress. Had it carted immediately, but got server errors for 20 mins during checkout. Maaaaaan.

I had tons of errors as well but managed to get it to finally go through, thank goodness.

DD is my fave artist, so missing a letterpress of his would have been a huge bummer.

HTuran

I had tons of errors as well but managed to get it to finally go through, thank goodness.

DD is my fave artist, so missing a letterpress of his would have been a huge bummer.

Yeah, absolutely love the image, but couldn't really afford it right now anyway. Not the end of the world. Enjoy it!

I'm not trying to devalue your opinion, it just seems like an odd choice. There's a lot of things out there I feel like doesn't really need a print, and this includes a lot of the shows done by G1988. Things like Arrested Development, which people got hugely excited for, and I feel like almost everything coming out of it was terrible. I'm not fussing over the show choice, because frankly I don't care. If anything, I'd rather they had gone with Talladega Nights, which I think is a better film, but whatever. I wouldn't have bought anything from it either. If you like it, that's cool for you. Not sure why you have to get so defensive. Most of the time I seem to agree with your tastes in other threads, so just because I disagree with you on something doesn't make me a snob.

I didn't really say you were, just that playing like somehow Step Brothers wasn't worth this treatment was, by definition, a little snobby. In general, no, I don't think you're a snob because, as you said, we agree about all sorts of things. I just felt like that attitude in general, not you specifically, was kind of snobby.

omgkitty

I didn't really say you were, just that playing like somehow Step Brothers wasn't worth this treatment was, by definition, a little snobby. In general, no, I don't think you're a snob because, as you said, we agree about all sorts of things. I just felt like that attitude in general, not you specifically, was kind of snobby.

Well if that's the case, then yes, I was being kind of snobby haha

Whoa, nice.

And The Wire? Sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeiiit.

flyer-1r41.jpg

The show is Sept 7th and any remaning art goes on sale the next day in the afternoon at
Bottleneckgallery.com.

Check us out.

Sigma722

markenglert wrote:
Just another random drop... Ok, so my plan for the "the oldest and most mighty race in the universe" APs is to offer a hand drawn Doctor/Companion team, or villain of your choice on the right hand side of the print where there are no bushes. The figures will be in scale to the Box.

They will be pretty expensive, at least $200, and I'll only do 35-40, as I'll need to leave some extras in case I screw up or spill ink everywhere... it happens. I'm drawing with Sumi ink with a Windsor sable brush. Look sweet in person, blends well, but you can still tell that someone drew it by hand.

This is why I needed the variant originally. $200 = a lot right now.

Still... Do want.

omgkitty

This is why I needed the variant originally. $200 = a lot right now.

Still... Do want.

That's okay. You won't be able to buy one until October! I'm hoping the price will keep all the flippers away and let the true fans get them (it won't). Honestly I'd probably have to go with Matt Smith and Karen Gillan.

Sigma722

That's okay. You won't be able to buy one until October! I'm hoping the price will keep all the flippers away and let the true fans get them (it won't). Honestly I'd probably have to go with Matt Smith and Karen Gillan.

I feel like having a few "The Silence" guys on there would be sweet. Is that how you are supposed to refer to them in a sentence? Makes it tough for grammar.

Stencil

Now wait a minute, what's with all the old horror prints in Mondo, how come no ones going crazy for those? I snatched one as soon as they were listed thinking theyd sell out roght away but they didn't sell out like others (ones mentioned and talked about in this topic.) Am I missing something? What dictates the demand etc? I mean, I know Olly Moss is awesome, but do his sell out and resale that high just based on the artist?

Now wait a minute, what's with all the old horror prints in Mondo, how come no ones going crazy for those? I snatched one as soon as they were listed thinking theyd sell out roght away but they didn't sell out like others (ones mentioned and talked about in this topic.) Am I missing something? What dictates the demand etc? I mean, I know Olly Moss is awesome, but do his sell out and resale that high just based on the artist?

Based off lot of old obscure films or foreign ones, and in general they are awful. Many of them have nothing to do with the actual movies either.

8/30/2012:

Breaking Bad by Ken Taylor

framec16.jpg

24″ x 36″ screenprint, edition of 300 (only numbers 251-300 available for sale and less than 50 total will be available.). $150.

How to buy online: http://www.postersandtoys.net/servlet/Categories?category=New+Stuff around 2PM EST.

8/31/2012:

Episode 5.01 by Jermaine Rogers

frameccc.png

18″ x 24″ screenprint, edition of 300 (only numbers 251-300 available for sale and less than 50 total will be available.). Random copies will be personally remarqued (i.e. 'doodled') by Jermaine Rogers. $60.

How to buy online: http://jermainerogers.limitedrun.com/ @ 12 PM EST

omgkitty

Anyone else feel like Stencil and BattleMonkey just came in here to troll? I could totally see a post like that coming from someone trying to use sarcasm.

Anyone else feel like Stencil and BattleMonkey just came in here to troll? I could totally see a post like that coming from someone trying to use sarcasm.

Did not get that impression at all (not a joke).

The prints aren't selling out because most of the people have never ever seen or heard of any of those movies is the answer. Plus, Jay Shaw's style is not for everyone -- just like with any other artist out there, including Tyler Stout and Olly Moss.

omgkitty

Did not get that impression at all (not a joke).

The prints aren't selling out because most of the people have never ever seen or heard of any of those movies is the answer. Plus, Jay Shaw's style is not for everyone -- just like with any other artist out there, including Tyler Stout and Olly Moss.

I didn't have an issue with it or think they were actually trolling, just felt like someone who was trying to make a joke could say something like that. I love IJ's prints in that series, but I've never seen any of the films so I didn't pick any of them up.

Up now:

Clash at Demonhead by Daniel Danger

SanDiegoComicCon2010ExclusiveScottPilgrimScreenPrintSeriesClashAtDemonheadbyDanielDanger.jpg

official print for Scott Pilgrim. Daniel Danger curated a four gigposter series for 2010 SDCC for Oni Press featuring each of the bands from the series. 18x24" four color screenprint. edition of 400. $60.

How to buy online: http://store.tinymediaempire.com/clashatdemonheadscottpilgrim2010.aspx

Sanctum Sanctorum by Daniel Danger

strange.jpg

7 color screenprint, measures 18″ x 32″, AP copy done for the G1988 stan lee tribute show. $250.

How to buy online: http://store.tinymediaempire.com/sanctumsanctorumdrstrange2008.aspx

I didn't have an issue with it or think they were actually trolling, just felt like someone who was trying to make a joke could say something like that. I love IJ's prints in that series, but I've never seen any of the films so I didn't pick any of them up.

I've seen many of the films in the series of posters, and that's why I think they are awful posters. They seriously have nothing to do with the actual films for the most part, it's almost like they took random posters and slapped the names of the films on them. I even loved a few of those flicks. Random obscure art with a name of a film slapped onto it to me is stupid for pop culture posters, if there is no connection between the two.

Fans of the artists work might want them, but it's true that they are not popular films, obscure foreign and horror flicks for the most part that aren't popular. It's obvious why they aren't selling.

IronRinn

Based off lot of old obscure films or foreign ones, and in general they are awful. Many of them have nothing to do with the actual movies either.

Shaw is kind of hit or miss for me. The problem with these is, though I like a few of them, I have no idea what the majority of the movies are. So as for how well they represent those films I cannot say, but I wouldn't characterize them as "awful" as a whole. Battlemonkey, having actually seen at least some of these obviously has a different perspective.

IronRinn

Mockingbird: Aren't Danger's remaining copies of his Breaking Bad print going up today? I thought I saw him mention that somewhere.

Edit: Looking at his site it seems like he has a bunch of older stuff up now. Cool. Pricey, but cool.

Shaw is kind of hit or miss for me. The problem with these is, though I like a few of them, I have no idea what the majority of the movies are. So as for how well they represent those films I cannot say, but I wouldn't characterize them as "awful" as a whole. Battlemonkey, having actually seen at least some of these obviously has a different perspective.

Yea I have nothing against his style, just as I said don't like Pop culture art when it seems to have such a big disconnect with what it's supposed to be representing. Shaw's Rocky III was brilliant for example, fit so well with the movie. But lot of these horror ones just felt like he had work done and laying around and slapped on the movie titles because they had some relation to a word in the title, but not the actual movie. I would love some posters for some of these films too as my main collection of art prints is for horror films.

omgkitty

Yea I have nothing against his style, just as I said don't like Pop culture art when it seems to have such a big disconnect with what it's supposed to be representing. Shaw's Rocky III was brilliant for example, fit so well with the movie. But lot of these horror ones just felt like he had work done and laying around and slapped on the movie titles because they had some relation to a word in the title, but not the actual movie. I would love some posters for some of these films too as my main collection of art prints is for horror films.

Jay specifically picked the subject of his gallery showing and he picked Blue Underground because he had a close connection with the films. I seriously doubt he did that. Maybe you just don't like the artwork, but as I've noticed with most of Jay's stuff, there is usually a purpose to what he does.

Nooooo! My batcave is gone! My computer was too slow!!!!
Made it to paypal, but it was too late. If anyone got one, but doesn't really want it, feel free to message me!

BreakyBoy

o_O @_@ O_o
Might be the worst yet. That series is embarassing.. $60, is that guy having a laugh?

Well, IIRC, the original sale was for $40, and this is what's left from the artist's personal stash. So, as far as typical AP markup goes, 50% isn't bad at all.

Hell, I wish Ken Taylor's BB print was only a 50% markup from the original price. At least it would be under $100 then.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Well, IIRC, the original sale was for $40, and this is what's left from the artist's personal stash. So, as far as typical AP markup goes, 50% isn't bad at all.

Hell, I wish Ken Taylor's BB print was only a 50% markup from the original price. At least it would be under $100 then.

Ken Taylor's original price was 75. So it'd be over 100 if it was just 50%.

With shipping/tax, I paid over 90... considering they are 200-300 on the bay, I think 150 is a fair price

Just got this framed, picked it up at Celebration, looks better in person with the inks which are much sharper and brighter. Usually don't like this guy's stuff but yea dug this one. 20x38, 250 pieces. Sold out pretty quick, but was worth the line wait

2_wolfe_art.jpg

BreakyBoy

o_O @_@ O_o
Ken Taylor's original price was 75. So it'd be over 100 if it was just 50%.

With shipping/tax, I paid over 90... considering they are 200-300 on the bay, I think 150 is a fair price

Ah, I mis-remembered then. It'd be more like $115 before shipping at 50% markup. And you're absolutely right, for the rate it's going on the open market, $150 is absolutely fair. I just wish I could have nabbed one at the original price. :)

I own this and and it's spectacular. I'm a huge nerd for both Dr. Strange and DD so this one was a no brainer.

Lucky! I'm a big DD fan, and I've got a nice collection of his prints, but this is one I wish I'd known about. If you have it framed, I'd love to see a picture of it if you don't mind! I might end up putting up an ISO on expresso beans when I have the money for it.

In other news, the Ukiyo-e Heroes kickstarter linked earlier in the thread is going to end in about 6 hours. There are a lot of options for a woodblock print now. I pledged for a woodblock and two prints back when it was first linked. I'm looking forward to seeing them in person.

IronRinn

In related news, they've also set up a store where you can buy all the prints if you miss(ed) the Kickstarter or want to hold off for a bit. I think I'm going to try and clear out some of my collection and grab some of these here, later. They don't seem to be limited, but if they are hopefully there will be some indication.

Edit: Checked out the comments and it seems that, while they will be numbered, they won't be limited so no rush (unless you want a low number.)

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Today at our R&C 10th Anniversary Panel at PAX we and iam8bit announced a special series of limited edition Ratchet & Clank screenprints coming this fall.

Hyper limited, for sale through iam8bit.

The artist list is great. We'll share more details soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom