• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Pop Culture Art/Posters/Prints Thread (Mondo/ACME/Dark Hall Mansion/etc.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meier

There are a bunch of artists on Mondo's invite. Kevin Tong will be there in person so he will have one. ansin and Moss seem likely too.

Moss posted this recently:

c6843fc85d8511e18bb812313804a181_7.jpg

Might be it's for the Mondo show?
OMG that would be amazing. I know he won't be there himself since he's at that convention in Dublin presenting but wow.. I'd kill for that Doctor poster.

The weather is just too crappy though. http://www.weather.com/weather/today/USTX0057

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
I don't think I've ever seen good Doctor Who fanart, but that Moss sneak peak is already around the top of the list. Can't wait to see more.

You know, with Moss at the Triforce Tribute, I never paid attention to any of the other pieces. I just now saw the piece below was at the show. I think it looks pretty damn awesome.

Whirling Blade by Meg Hunt

tumblr_m0a5n7UHf01qze4yso1_r2_500.jpg

11"x17" Signed/numbered edition of 30. 4 color screen print.

No one likes that Texas Frightmare Weekend poster?

For the love of all that is holy, it features a THEY LIVE alien in Leatherface's mask!

onwOa.png

EDIT - Anyone get the free Mondo poster for JOHN CARTER? It's a'ight.

omgkitty

Get in line....

Star Trek II by Tyler Stout is likely 100% one of them.

Todd Slater will drop one too.

There are a bunch of artists on Mondo's invite. Kevin Tong will be there in person so he will have one. ansin and Moss seem likely too.

Moss posted this recently:

c6843fc85d8511e18bb812313804a181_7.jpg

Might be it's for the Mondo show?

OMFG I don't care if that's a teaser or what, that poster is amazing. I have to have that and I really hope it's posted online.

So a friend just left the Mondo gallery. She tells me that there is a WRATH OF KHAN and a BRAZIL.

Also a $6000 painting of Ming the Merciless.

Another friend is about to get in. She's gonna get me something!

vitaminwateryum

corporate swill
scaled.php

So. Awesome.

Also, here's a Blade Runner:

scaled.php

Stout's Wrath of Khan and variant
24x36
Edition of 635 (regular), 280 (variant):
StarTrek2_regular_1.jpg
StarTrek2_variant_1.jpg

Ming:
AnqhVYHCEAEgzSd.jpg

Jock / Olly's Real Steel:
AnqgdZpCAAI6NSB.jpg

Horkey's Fantastic Planet and variant
20x28
Edition of 332 (regular), 106 (variant):
FantasticPlanetregular.jpg
FantasticPlanetvariant.jpg

Scott Campbell from Double Fine's Planet of the Apes:
AnqgoCyCAAApwNh.jpg

Struzan's Dune:
gl0807261339521467.jpg

Kako's War of the Worlds
24x36
Edition of 120:
WarOfTheWorlds.jpg

PCC's A Trip to the Moon
18x24
Edition of 145:
ATriptotheMoon.jpg

Kevin Tong's Forbidden Planet
24x36
Edition of 225
ForbiddenPlanet-FINAL.jpg

vitaminwateryum

corporate swill
Really love that Duck Dodgers piece. Think that's actually the first Whalen I've seen that doesn't look super similar to everything else he makes. Really hoping The Fountain goes up for sale at one point too, looks great.

Meier

Akira was sold out..it was super sharp. Only ended up buying A Trip to the Moon. Bummed I missed the Doctor Who but I actually spoke to someone who got it and he said he got the second to last one and lined up at 2:30.

vitaminwateryum

corporate swill
Interview w/ Tom Whalen

http://boingboing.net/2012/03/11/tom-whalen-goes-daffy-for-mond.html

[IG]http://boingboing.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/DuckDodgers.jpg[/IMG]

Edition of 320. $40.

Mondo Gallery is open today! Can someone please hook me up with a Forbidden Planet poster by Kevin Tong? Would be willing to help out in return at Gallery 1988 drop in los angeles when I move back there later this month!

Gonna have to ask the same. If anyone's in the area and can pick up one of those Fountain prints or a Brazil variant, I'll pay good money. There's one on ebay at the moment but I'd rather not pay 300% when I can have one of you dudes PB for me :D

Bummer they probably won't be releasing that Doctor Who poster online.

It was an edition of 50 that you had to give a password for. Super crazy. Also, from what I've read, the only stuff they're putting online is the stuff that hasn't sold by next month, so probably not much.

Meier

Man, I kind of feel like an idiot for not buying extra prints and ripping people off. Some of those prices on eBay are ridiculous!

Man, I kind of feel like an idiot for not buying extra prints and ripping people off. Some of those prices on eBay are ridiculous!

Isn't this always the case for any semi popular film? Really should always buy as many as you can get ahold of because your in luck if you got access to them. Especially if it's a print that hasn't gone for sale online

jvm

Gamasutra.
Would really like to have one of the Wrath of Khan posters, but holy crap prices on eBay are nuts. :(

Meier

Isn't this always the case for any semi popular film? Really should always buy as many as you can get ahold of because your in luck if you got access to them. Especially if it's a print that hasn't gone for sale online

I felt pretty trashy about potentially screwing over others especially since it was a gallery opening and there was still a line after me. I've only bought an extra once and that was just a side effect of two tickets to a screening. I definitely need to get the Hugo print now to serve as a companion to A Trip to the Moon.

I felt pretty trash about potentially screwing over others especially since it was a gallery opening and there was still a line after me. I've only bought an extra once and that was just a side effect of two tickets to a screening. I definitely need to get the Hugo print now to serve as a companion to A Trip to the Moon.

You are better than most people heh.

Yea when the Hugo came out, seeing the amount of them on Ebay, it was a large percentage of the print run was picked up for resale obviously.

I felt pretty trash about potentially screwing over others especially since it was a gallery opening and there was still a line after me. I've only bought an extra once and that was just a side effect of two tickets to a screening. I definitely need to get the Hugo print now to serve as a companion to A Trip to the Moon.

The gallery is open today. You should go there to get some more and hook-up us gaffers. =)

Not a lot of us here in this thread =( But we'd be thankful =)

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be

you did the right thing, you're a good person.

is what I'd say if the person behind you wasn't just buying it to sell on ebay :(

you're still a good person mind.

I find the artificially manufactured rarity of this kind of art to be bizarre. Although maybe if it wasn't for that collectible aspect maybe the market wouldn't even exist.

you did the right thing, you're a good person.

is what I'd say if the person behind you wasn't just buying it to sell on ebay :(

you're still a good person mind.

I find the artificially manufactured rarity of this kind of art to be bizarre. Although maybe if it wasn't for that collectible aspect maybe the market wouldn't even exist.

They could make alot of money by increasing print run sizes but they don't want to make the art worthless either by making too many prints. The low print runs basically just enforce the value and popularity. It is pretty sad when almost half the Hugo print run got tossed on ebay within the first day

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
They could make alot of money by increasing print run sizes but they don't want to make the art worthless either by making too many prints. The low print runs basically just enforce the value and popularity. It is pretty sad when almost half the Hugo print run got tossed on ebay within the first day

I see your point, but that's kind of the problem. Certain people (including the buyers) have a NEED for these things to be considered valuable and collectible. Which in turn creates this repulsive ebay culture that simply has no business in any real market, never mind one involving the consumption of something as romantic as art.

Why should the art be "worth" $300? There is no plausible reason other than to drive ego's of artists, sellers, collectors and so on. It's not a painting that is impossible to recreate in large quantities. This market is created to serve that person who wants to own an expensive print or the artist who wants to see his/her prints exchange for obscene amounts. Not the person who wants a nice picture on their wall or the artist who wants to share their work with as many people as will fall in love with it.

For a product that is very cool, forward thinking, trendy and likeable, it lives in a market that I find disgusting.

It's like a musician who limits the release of his music to 500 or an author who limits a book print to 500. I mean can you imagine if Radiohead limited their next album to 5000 copies worldwide.

Clearly they can't print seemingly infinite numbers the way albums/books are released that end up in the bargain bin, but there's no reason they couldn't double edition sizes or do repeat editions or have some other model that actually benefits the consumer.

Sorry I studied business and this irritates me. But I won't clog up the thread with it anymore!

Really interested to find out what Olly Moss's pokemon edition sizes were, I liked his release model for that one.

From a business stand point it's a good idea, always leave them wanting more. If they were all open runs, they wouldn't be anywhere near as popular as they are now.

I just wish there was a better online ordering system.

Nice, got a good price on a James Rheem Davis Robocop because it had a little printing error on it that's barely noticeable.

I think Olly Moss tweeted something about print run limits being set by the licensor. Could be wrong.

Yea they don't have full license to the IP's so they only can print limited runs, would cost a ton to get the rights for all these different IPs for any long terms. And some of the runs are done on a promotional basis/purpose.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom