• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The PS2 RPG season is about to start

Ar_

6 games within 28 days. Has there ever been such abundance?

Star Ocean Till the End of Time (08/31/2004)

starocean_e3_screen003.jpg

Phantom Brave (08/31/2004)

919034_20040708_screen005.jpg

Growlanser: Generations (09/01/2004)

growlanser2_100303_31.jpg

Mega Man X Command Mission (9/21/2004)

mega-man-x-command-mission-20040730055717817.jpg

Shadow Hearts Covenant (9/27/2004)

shadowhearts2_022504_015.jpg

Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne (9/27/2004)

shin-megami-tensei-nocturne-20040604041611256.jpg
shin-megami-tensei-nocturne-20040604041611740.jpg
shin-megami-tensei-nocturne-20040604041607428.jpg

debt_skint200.jpg

jett

D-Member
Hehe, I hope Command Mission is decent. The MMX series has been assraped too much lately. :p

jarrod said:
I'll be breaking out the (bf's) PS2 for Nocturne and SO3. Maybe Phantom Brave too. :)

The boyfriend's? Didn't know you were gay(or a girl, but I can't even imagine jarrod being a girl). :p

u_neek

jett said:
The boyfriend's? Didn't know you were gay(or a girl, but I can't even imagine jarrod being a girl). :p
Of course he is - THIS IS GAYMING-AGE!

We are all gay, you are too!

I couldn't pass up Star Ocean if I wanted to. I will probably get Shadow Hearts 2 if I can get that free part 1 deal with gamestop at a store. My friends at the store I used to work at (while it was FuncoLand) have heard nothing about it in-store so far. I just tried Koudelka again in anticipation, but I was unable to make myself play it for long.

As for Phantom Brave, I would normally go for any Strategy RPG, but I am a bit burnt out on them after Shining Force and Front Mission, which I got to shortly after finishing Fire Emblem (had to take a 3 month long hiatus to finish the game). I never even got to La Pucelle or played much of Disgaia. Same goes for Growlanser. Actually, I still need to finish up Shining Force and Front Mission 4.

Megaman X: Command Mission looks nice, but the X mythos holds little interest to me other than Megaman Zero. The gameplay was why I loved Megaman, not the story. Of course, Mario made a surprisingly great transition to RPG, but I have too much else to play anyway.

As for Shin Megami Tensei, I happen to like party members. I would probably play it, but I have too much on my plate.

All must give way for Suikoden IV.

belgurdo

Banned
Wary about dropping cash on Growlanser, given how B-list Arc Collection was and I blew $70+ on that when it launced

belgurdo said:
Wary about dropping cash on Growlanser, given how B-list Arc Collection was and I blew $70+ on that when it launced

Well, there will be a non-CE edition for $50.

As for Phantom Brave, I would normally go for any Strategy RPG, but I am a bit burnt out on them after Shining Force and Front Mission, which I got to shortly after finishing Fire Emblem (had to take a 3 month long hiatus to finish the game). I never even got to La Pucelle or played much of Disgaia. Same goes for Growlanser. Actually, I still need to finish up Shining Force and Front Mission 4.

I'm tempted to pass it up for a little while too, but I think the first shipment of the game will be a collector's edition, and I can't pass it up.

Alex

No one is really concerned with the Megaman mythos as far as Command Mission goes.

People want it because it's from the exact same team that put out Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter, which trumps just about every RPG ever made from a creativity and gameplay stand point.

No one cared about the Breath of Fire mythos there either, heh, espically since beyond the names of two characters, and some Dragon tie-ins, it didn't exist. Which is good, because despite enjoying classic BoF when I was a kid, it really is generic and boring as fuck.

I'm not a big story guy RPG-wise, but I can enjoy silly plots and charming characters so long as it A.) doesn't attempt to take itself too seriously, or B.) exists to provide some charming relief, and to forward the gameplay, not the other way around.

Which Dragon Quarter also did well.

Anyway, enough rambling:

244803-mock.jpg

243662.jpg

I'm still deciding on SO3, and I honestly know nothing about SMT. All I know is that E3 trailer for SMT3 looked totally cheesed out and lame, why the hell is Dante in it?

That Chulip game sounded interesting as well, I need at least one dose of wacked out Japanese weirdom each year.

I can't wait to play Star Ocean Till the End of Time! I have waited for that game for so long :( Also I am gonna buy Suikoden 4, Shadow of Destiny and Wild Arms Alter Code F later this year :D

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
Getting

Star ocean 3
Phantom Brave
SMT nocturne
Digital devil saga

Will get MMXCM for GC since i heard it had faster framerates.

Where will i find the time to play all these rpgs /cries

Alex

I'm having major time issues with games myself. Mostly because I spend most of my gaming time on FFXI still. Lots o' fun this fall, gotta pick and choose. Next gen, I swear, one console, no exceptions. Bah.

I'd like to nab SO3 though, really, argh. It does look fun, and although odd to say, it'd be nice to have a RPG with a really nice OST. What the hell is up with this gen and garbage OST's?

and people wonder why PS2 is dominant. Damn, it all looks saucy.

Phantom Brave looks just how I imagined Golden SUN CUbe would look like

Wasn't Samurai Legend Musashi supposed to be release this winter also? I've been dying for a sequel to one of my favorite ARPG on the original PS1.

Link316

Banned
BobbyRobby said:
I'm tempted to pass it up for a little while too, but I think the first shipment of the game will be a collector's edition, and I can't pass it up.

damn them! these companies have figured out to make me pay full price for a game instead of waiting for a price drop >_<

Definitely getting SMT III right away, and most likely Shadow Hearts 2 as well. Maybe Phantom Brave, too...

plus, yeah, WA Alter Code and Digital Devil Saga later in the year

People want it because it's from the exact same team that put out Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter, which trumps just about every RPG ever made from a creativity and gameplay stand point.

No one cared about the Breath of Fire mythos there either, heh, espically since beyond the names of two characters, and some Dragon tie-ins, it didn't exist. Which is good, because despite enjoying classic BoF when I was a kid, it really is generic and boring as fuck.

I'm not a big story guy RPG-wise, but I can enjoy silly plots and charming characters so long as it A.) doesn't attempt to take itself too seriously, or B.) exists to provide some charming relief, and to forward the gameplay, not the other way around.

Which Dragon Quarter also did well.

Thanks. I already was utterly disdainful of a Mega Man RPG, now that I know it's from the people behind the crap know as BOF5 I have ever more reason to pretend this game doesn't exist.

Oh and it's nice to know you want RPG stories to be mediocre. See, most people would actually want BETTER stories, not silly crappy ones. Maybe you're one of those people that thinks a good story must mean inferior gameplay, or visa versa. Yeah, there's no way an RPG could have BOTH.

BTW, those SMT screens look great. Are there any other games in this series in the US? And what exactly is this Shadow Hearts 2 thing, I don't even remember the original.

Hmm, I didn't know that Command Mission had anything to do with Dragon Quarter! I generally detest all things Megaman, but if Command Mission is really good, I might have to make an exception... :p

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
=(

I really wish I had time to give each game it's proper due. Sadly I think I'll only be able to choose two RPGs to play.

Everything looks so awesome, especially Star Ocean.

jarrod

Banned
Greenpanda said:
Persona 1+2 on the PSX, and The Demon Slayer on the GBC
More than that atcually...

-Jack Bros (VB) 1995
-Revelations Series: Persona (PS1) 1996
-Revelations: The Demon Slayer (GBC) 1999
-Persona 2: Eternal Punishment (PS1) 2000
-Shin Megami Tensei: DemiKids Dark Version (GBA) 2003
-Shin Megami Tensei: DemiKids Light Version (GBA) 2003
-Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne (PS2) 2004
-Digital Devil Saga (PS2) 2004

jarrod said:
More than that atcually...

-Jack Bros (VB) 1995
-Revelations Series: Persona (PS1) 1996
-Revelations: The Demon Slayer (GBC) 1999
-Persona 2: Eternal Punishment (PS1) 2000
-Shin Megami Tensei: DemiKids Dark Version (GBA) 2003
-Shin Megami Tensei: DemiKids Light Version (GBA) 2003
-Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne (PS2) 2004
-Digital Devil Saga (PS2) 2004

Shit, forgot about DemiKids. And, well, Jack Bros. is a spin-off, if that :p

Alex

Plot wise, I can find smaller, less mouthy ones like Dragon Quarter and Valkyrie Profile to be interesting. Simply through premise alone.

And ones whose mouthier plot exists to push the gameplay forward, and for fun character building and comedic relief on the side, like Tales and Grandia. Love 'em.

I just don't look to them for smart, quality writing though. Even on the more smarmy Western PC RPG front, I never even connected with PT that much, hehe.

I can occasionally cling to other styles through fanboy tendancies alone when something clicks, which people do, and when it's not Xeno____ it doesn't bug me. :p (I still really dig the whole hoopla in Suikoden 1 & 2, and quite a few others)

Discussion over on my part, I don't have the geekiness, or enery to argue over games anymore. I just like shooting off my mouth, and actually discussing them. I'm not the mean guy I used to be at GA for the past, what, 5 years or so?

"Alex, it's fucking Tri-Ace! I repeat, Valkyrie-Profile-assrapes-everything developer Tri-Ace!"

Yeah, I know. I probably will wind up snagging it, but SO2 never left a big impression on me. I think the mostly boring intro, and ear-bleedingly bad VA made me turn it off pretty quick though. "The enemy!" Hahaha.

It looks good though. I'm not impressed with the dub judging from the videos though. Am I the only one who likes Symphonia's dub though? I think it's freaking excellent for a localized game. Not gonna compare it to KoTOR and other original western stuffs. But I'd rank it with DC2 and MGS, which have always been my more likeable dubs.

Like always though, read more, buy it, then proceed to praise it or flame it, woo.

SO3 is obviously more like SO2 than Valkryie Profile, if you're expecting ANYTHING to be similar to VP you're going to waiting for a while. Which is fine by me, one well-intentioned but bizzare experimental RPG is enough.

Explain why Dragon Quarter doesn't suck.

Alex

Wow. You don't like Dragon Quarter or Valkyrie Profile? How long have I been gone? Is this dude the new Konex?

Neutron Night said:
SO3 is obviously more like SO2 than Valkryie Profile, if you're expecting ANYTHING to be similar to VP you're going to waiting for a while. Which is fine by me, one well-intentioned but bizzare experimental RPG is enough.

Explain why Dragon Quarter doesn't suck.

Seems like you don't like anything that isn't your typical, cookie-cutter RPG, so I'd have a hard time doing that.

I personally thought the sense of survival is BoF:DQ was awesome, as well as the art direction and story.

BTW, Weren't you bragging about owning a copy of Valkyrie Profile in Mint Condition? Yet you don't even like it?!

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Hey Alex, we need you here. Who else is going to perform the classic:
"ZOMBI THRU WINDOZE!!!"

See, I can't do it right at all. :/

Alex

The entire structure of DQ rocks. It's one big fancy, beautifully realized dungeon crawl for fans of JRPG's.

~D-Counter and D/Ratio rocks. The replay and survival systems for working through the ranks rock.

~The combat system, and character building fucking own. Every character is vastly different, but melds together peferectly, the balance is sick. And unlike STUPID ToS (which I love) you get all of your characters super early in, and none are never removed for the sake of dumb anime-centric plot twists.

~Level of challenge was almost perfect. For me at least.

~The story isn't nearly as cookie cutter as everything else on the marker, and is decently written in that it doesn't drag like 99.999% of JRPG's that have 10,000 pages of dialogue that could be condensed into 100.

~It has one of the few solid OST's this gen, and the obtuse art direction rox.

~It punishes people who play the game wrong/poorly. Watching prior BoF and generic RPG fans try to cope with this, ultimately to run crying and bitching and posting negative impressions all over slob sites like GameFaqs was fun within itself.

~It erases your game if you try and cheat and wont let you copy saves, surely an extension of the above, but funny enough to be listed seperately.

~Dungeon crawls > all.

Valkyrie Profile and Dragon Quarter rock all.

Top Bottom