• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Republican National Convention OT |2016|: Behold a Pale Horse With No Name

Status
Not open for further replies.
The one speech that was good and appealed to people outside of Trump's base was stolen from the Democrat First Lady.

On top of the staggering incompetence this implies, it will completely dominate the narrative of the first day and potentially the whole convention.

What an unbelievable clusterfuck. If this was any other candidate this would've been it

mo60

If Trump were to be dumped by the GOP as rumoured, is there a particular time people would expect it to happen?

Probably thursday or whenever they offically decide to nominate trump as the nominee for their party and do a delegate roll call if I recall.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
If Trump were to be dumped by the GOP as rumoured, is there a particular time people would expect it to happen?

There's too many possible - though all very unlikely - ways of doing it to fix on a timescale.

But the one I fantasise about, the one most calculated to send Trump off the deep end, would be to force a roll-call vote on Wednesday and elect Trump as the Vice Presidential candidate, therefore leaving the Presidential one wide open.

dangeraaron10

Unconfirmed Member
I got to Page 63 from Page 1. I couldn't continue on.

What a fucking disgrace.

Best part?

tumblr_m96zy0XyHx1re5qajo1_500.png

Fuck the exploitation of grieving families. Fuck the hate mongering. Fuck the worship of a soulless liar.

We're not even at the best part. I couldn't get past Page 63 so if someone here could help me out of any significant events that happened sometime after they paraded a black man on stage to basically drop every GOP buzzword in existence?

Sianos

I got to Page 63 from Page 1. I couldn't continue on.

What a fucking disgrace.

Best part?

tumblr_m96zy0XyHx1re5qajo1_500.png

Fuck the exploitation of grieving families. Fuck the hate mongering. Fuck the worship of a soulless liar.

We're not even at the best part. I couldn't get past Page 63 so if someone here could help me out of any significant events that happened sometime after they paraded a black man on stage to basically drop every GOP buzzword in existence?

Melania Trump's speech on honesty and integrity, which was supposed to be the humanizing moment and the crown jewel of tonight, turns out to have two paragraphs plagiarized from Michelle Obama. And a hidden Rick Roll, for good measure. This is after Melania told the media how she worked on this speech for five or six weeks with almost no help, so they can't even cleanly sacrifice an intern. And now rumors are circulating that blame is being foisted onto Manafort.

mo60

so I was at work all day, what are the highlights outside of the speech thievery (which I can't imagine being outclassed, but man if any group of people can do it...)

1. There was a bit of chaos involving never trumpers in the morning session of the RNC. They were trying to get the speaker there to initiate a roll call on the states that don't support trump if I recall. The Iowa and Colorado delegation walked out of the convention during this because they did not support trump at all if I recall.A delegate also quit.
2. In the afternoon/evening session of the RNC the focus of almost all of the speakers that spoke during this session were on issues of immigration, benghazi and any issue that fell under the banner make america safe again. During this session a lot of the speakers were using the death of people close to them for politcal points( i.e. to talk about how awful the current American government is, how awful Hilary is and how donald will do better than Hilary on these issues if he becomes the next president). They also talked about Hilary deserves to be in prison for some of her actions in some of the speeches. There were also references to orange jumpsuits in some of these speeches.
3. During this afternoon/evening session two speakers actually did a play of play of what happened during Benghazi since they were in Libya when that was happening. This lasted like 20 minutes if I recall. It was awful and pretty boring if I recall.
4. Melania Trump's speech was the highlight of the night besides her plagarizing parts of it from Michelle's speech in 08.
5. Pretty much no one cared about the other people that had to speak after Melania yesterday.

The first day was really awful besides Melania's speech.

dangeraaron10

Unconfirmed Member
Melania Trump's speech on honesty and integrity, which was supposed to be the humanizing moment and the crown jewel of tonight, turns out to have two paragraphs plagiarized from Michelle Obama. And a hidden Rick Roll, for good measure. This is after Melania told the media how she worked on this speech for five or six weeks with almost no help, so they can't even cleanly sacrifice an intern. And now rumors are circulating that blame is being foisted onto Manafort.

Thanks for the summary. A shitshow indeed.

1. There was a bit of chaos involving never trumpers in the morning session of the RNC. They were trying to get the speaker there to initiate a roll call on the states that don't support trump if I recall. The Iowa and Colorado delegation walked out of the convention during this because they did not support trump at all if I recall.A delegate also quit.
2. In the afternoon/evening session of the RNC the focus of almost all of the speakers that spoke during this session were on issues of immigration, benghazi and any issue that fell under the banner make america safe again. During this session a lot of the speakers were using the death of people close to them for politcal points( i.e. to talk about how awful the current American government is, how awful Hilary is and how donald will do better than Hilary on these issues if he becomes the next president). They also talked about Hilary deserves to be in prison for some of her actions in some of the speeches. There were also references to orange jumpsuits in some of these speeches.
3. During this afternoon/evening session two speakers actually did a play of play of what happened during Benghazi since they were in Libya when that was happening. This lasted like 20 minutes if I recall. It was awful and pretty boring if I recall.
4. Melania Trump's speech was the highlight of the night besides her plagarizing parts of it from Michelle's speech in 08.
5. Pretty much no one cared about the other people that had to speak after Melania yesterday.

The first day was really awful besides Melania's speech.

Joke post? Even pundits on MSNBC were saying it was a great night outside of the lines Melania borrowed from Michelle.

johnsmith

remember me
Joke post? Even pundits on MSNBC were saying it was a great night outside of the lines Melania borrowed from Michelle.

To call day 1 a dumpster fire would be an insult to real dumpster fires. There's not a single positive thing to come out of today. All I'm hearing about on social media is Melania's plagiarism and Steve King's white supremacy. You're stanning harder than Lewandowski.

Balphon

I think he means that the scheduling was bungled to the point that the speakers following Melania Trump were pushed out of primetime. Even the convention attendees had largely left by the time they took the stage.

I'm also not sure I'd describe the bulk of the day that charitably given that the highlight of the morning was the chair having to suppress an internal party revolt on the floor of the convention. At best the day went decently with a few points (e.g. Guiliani) that would have been good fodder for the morning news until the fiasco that was Melania's speech.

EDIT: Even that's ignoring the fact that most of the day's rhetoric was red meat to the base that just reinforces the worst fears of everyone who hasn't completely bought into Trump. The convention is the biggest national showcase of the candidate and his campaign. And the Trump campaign has again chosen to use a national stage to peddle a message of division that can't possibly have appealed to many who weren't already convinced.

mo60

It was pretty much diasterous and it's not just because of the poor scheduling. I don't think what happened on the first day will help trump at all in this election. It may hurt him especially if the first day is an indication of what will happen later today, tommorrow and thursday.

PBY

Banned
Wha---?

How?

Between the C List celebrities, the constant appeals to racism and xenophobia, and the the consistent tone of the worst parts of a internet comment section - it was a fucking SHITSHOW. And I didn't even mention the dump trump moment.

One can only assume that last night's incredible display of incompetence on behalf of the Trump campaign is going to lead to some amazing last ditch efforts from Never Trump folks today. Doubt they'll be able to do anything but still.

MSNBC was looking like a joke during that, outside of Joy Reid, who's always great. I mean, you had these fools actually saying Rudy Giuliani gave the speech of his life, but it was nonsense.

theaface

Can anyone point me to a highlights/lowlights/best of video of this convention so far? Being overseas in the UK it's hard to watch and keep track of all of the shenanigans live. I want to immerse myself fully in the horror, Konami 2010 style.

mclem

Just going through the very earliest posts, and I noticed this one:

Wow I just turned on the stream and what on Earth is this guy saying?

"No matter where we steer...bumpy roads...but...we...never turn left."

"We are the thumping sound of an American heartbeat pounding for change."

Wait. Is he basically admitting to ultimately going around in circles?

Used my first vacation day to mostly watch The Republican Convention day one. The last session was by far the best if the goal was to fire up the core group of Trump voters and attack Hillary Clinton. Heard someone mention (NPR Politics perhaps) that the RNC is way better at attacking than the DNC, and I believe this to be correct. Highlights:

• The blind girl singing
  • The Duck Dynasty guy was a pretty good warm up act
  • Rudy Giuliani was the best speaker by far. Got the most response on the floor
  • The woman who blamed the death of her son in Benghazi on Hillary had the audience in tears
  • The two soldiers who fought in Benghazi told a pretty good tale and blamed everything on Clinton. Only their jokes fell flat
  • Melania was super boring. Only the copy cat thing made it memorable.

Watching US politics is incredible. I believe Trump is crazy and a menace, but so far the RNC Convention seems to be doing the job

Used my first vacation day to mostly watch The Republican Convention day one. The last session was by far the best if the goal was to fire up the core group of Trump voters and attack Hillary Clinton. Heard someone mention (NPR Politics perhaps) that the RNC is way better at attacking than the DNC, and I believe this to be correct. Highlights:

• The blind girl singing
  • The woman who blamed the death of her son in Benghazi on Hillary had the audience in tears
  • The two soldiers who fought in Benghazi told a pretty good tale and blamed everything on Clinton. Only their jokes fell flat

Watching US politics is incredible. I believe Trump is crazy and a menace, but so far the RNC Convention seems to be doing the job

This is really a "glass half full" take on the first day of the RNC.

• The blind girl singing

It hasn't been doing it's job. They focused on conspiracy theories and fear, which might do a good job at getting Donald's specific base going, but it does little to advance an olive branch to more moderate Republicans or Independents. They even managed to piss off entire state delegations. Before the event even started they picked a fight with the state that is hosting the event. Really ineffective.

There's too many possible - though all very unlikely - ways of doing it to fix on a timescale.

But the one I fantasise about, the one most calculated to send Trump off the deep end, would be to force a roll-call vote on Wednesday and elect Trump as the Vice Presidential candidate, therefore leaving the Presidential one wide open.
I'd die laughing if that happens

This is really a "glass half full" take on the first day of the RNC.

Doing the job of spouting vile racist and homophobic hate to its followers, you mean?

It hasn't been doing it's job. They focused on conspiracy theories and fear, which might do a good job at getting Donald's specific base going, but it does little to advance an olive branch to more moderate Republicans or Independents. They even managed to piss off entire state delegations. Before the event even started they picked a fight with the state that is hosting the event. Really ineffective.

It´s doing a great job if the mission is shoring up the base and firing up the people who will carry the campaign forward.

It is doing a horrible job if the goal is to correctly present facts, unite the nation and agree on a political platform that is for the good of the nation and the world. But I think we all know what the agenda is.

Brinbe

Problem being that Trump's base isn't enough to win Presidential elections and the party as a whole is far from unified after all the bullshit yesterday.

Jeels

Exactly, the theme last night had nothing to do with security and trust, it was legitimizing all the fringe elements of the party (aka, Benghazi conspirators, immigrant haters, islamophobes, anti BLM folks).

Lenz44

Banned
I don't know how anyone could watch or listen to that for more than 15 minutes, the fear and hate seething from day 1 made me way too stressed out. That was painfully awful. All I know is fuck whatever small differences I had with Hillary, because I'm strongly in the Hillary camp now.

Exactly, the theme last night had nothing to do with security and trust, it was legitimizing all the fringe elements of the party (aka, Benghazi conspirators, immigrant haters, islamophobes, anti BLM folks).

your avatar looks a bit like boris johnson if you don't look directly at it.

3rdman

• The blind girl singing

I take it from your post that you aren't from the US? You have to keep in mind that the tenor of this is unchanged from 4, 8, or even 12 years ago....The Reps have been using the "blame everyone but ourselves" bit for a while. From my point of view this is standard boilerplate shit and the only thing of surprise is how little self introspection they manage to achieve even in the face of facts and common sense.

Watch all 4 days and if you aren't immune to the bullshit, you'll come to conclusion that the world is going to end, Hillary is the anti-christ, and voting for a democrat is akin to spitting on the flag...They're awful.

Problem being that Trump's base isn't enough to win Presidential elections and the party as a whole is far from unified after all the bullshit yesterday.

Was the bullshit yesterday any different from the bullshit Trump has spouted all year long that so far has put him frighteningly close to being the next president? The republicans cannot change into something new. It would make no sense and just result in fewer voters.

Expect more of the crazy and more of the bigotry. It has worked brilliantly so far.

I take it from your post that you aren't from the US? You have to keep in mind that the tenor of this is unchanged from 4, 8, or even 12 years ago....The Reps have been using the "blame everyone but ourselves" bit for a while. From my point of view this is standard boilerplate shit and the only thing of surprise is how little self introspection they manage to achieve even in the face of facts and common sense.

Watch all 4 days and if you aren't immune to the bullshit, you'll come to conclusion that the world is going to end, Hillary is the anti-christ, and voting for a democrat is akin to spitting on the flag...They're awful.

You are right. I´m from a "communist" country in Scandinavia. I´ll be watching and laughing/crying all the way :) It might be crazy. But the crazy has worked before. Reagan, Schwartzenegger, Trump. Seems like natural progression to me.

Before the GOP went down the Trump path, there was already two competing theories of how the GOP could get back into the white house. Major party reform and court the latino and black vote to close the gap, or the alternative, say fuck it and double down on white male vote and just pull some better numbers in key states. Clearly once Trump became the presumptive nominee, there was only one option for platform strategy. There is never going to be a pivot, there will be no party unification, just Trump and those willing to back him going full steam ahead for the white male vote. Their object is to scare as many other people as possible on to their side, demonize HRC, and make sure not too many flock to Johnson. The entire platform is without policy. Fear is the only policy they have to work with and they will not stop and they know damn well there is guaranteed to be several more shootings, ISIS and anti-police before November that will only help sell this platform. The chance that Trump was going to change was a fantasy GOP peeps sold themselves so they could feel less shitty about selling their soul for this maniacs candidacy. Lastly, absolutely nothing at this convention is going to bring down Trump's numbers. All that can happen is Clinton can try to bring her's back up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom