• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Republican National Convention OT |2016|: Behold a Pale Horse With No Name

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright, I fixed up my gif in honor of Day 2. Here's hoping for more hilarity!

neEDIY2.gif

Wow, it's beautiful.

Slacker

Used my first vacation day to mostly watch The Republican Convention day one. The last session was by far the best if the goal was to fire up the core group of Trump voters and attack Hillary Clinton. Heard someone mention (NPR Politics perhaps) that the RNC is way better at attacking than the DNC, and I believe this to be correct. Highlights:

• The blind girl singing
  • The Duck Dynasty guy was a pretty good warm up act
  • Rudy Giuliani was the best speaker by far. Got the most response on the floor
  • The woman who blamed the death of her son in Benghazi on Hillary had the audience in tears
  • The two soldiers who fought in Benghazi told a pretty good tale and blamed everything on Clinton. Only their jokes fell flat
  • Melania was super boring. Only the copy cat thing made it memorable.

Watching US politics is incredible. I believe Trump is crazy and a menace, but so far the RNC Convention seems to be doing the job

It's all about how you look at it, I guess. How about this:

• A pastor opens with an extremely offensive prayer (offensive to moderates at least)
  • Exploiting a greiving Benghazi family member for political points
  • INITERRUPTING said exploitation with the candidate calling in to Fox News while the woman is speaking (this may be the most unbelievable thing that happened to me)
  • Near chaos over what should be a simple vote on the rules
  • Delegations walking out in protest
  • Someone called the president a muslim
  • Charles in Charge defending a sexist meme attacking Clinton
  • A speech about how white people have accomplished more for civilization than non-whites
  • A speaker leading the mindless sheep in the crowd in a chant of "lock her up"
  • The main event of the night tainted by a plagarism scandal

This is the convention equivalent of the movie God's Not Dead. If you agree with everything you hear already, you're probably eating this stuff up. If you're a moderate of a liberal, it's just one offense after another. I don't know what they think they'll accomplish with this shitshow.

It's all about how you look at it, I guess. How about this:

• A pastor opens with an extremely offensive prayer (offensive to moderates at least)
  • Exploiting a greiving Benghazi family member for political points
  • INITERRUPTING said exploitation with the candidate calling in to Fox News while the woman is speaking (this may be the most unbelievable thing that happened to me)
  • Near chaos over what should be a simple vote on the rules
  • Delegations walking out in protest
  • Someone called the president a muslim
  • Charles in Charge defending a sexist meme attacking Clinton
  • A speech about how white people have accomplished more for civilization than non-whites
  • A speaker leading the mindless sheep in the crowd in a chant of "lock her up"
  • The main event of the night tainted by a plagarism scandal

This is the convention equivalent of the movie God's Not Dead. If you agree with everything you hear already, you're probably eating this stuff up. If you're a moderate of a liberal, it's just one offense after another. I don't know what they think they'll accomplish with this shitshow.

What they accomplish is boosting the base to make them ready for the next leg of the election process. If you are moderate or liberal, I don´t think the organizers give a fuck what you and I think. RNC day one is probably quite the success if seen thorugh the eyes of the Trump supporter and the republicans still hanging in there (and it seems to be a healthy portion, looking at poll numbers).

Charlatan

Neo Member
What they accomplish is boosting the base to make them ready for the next leg of the election process. If you are moderate or liberal, I don´t think the organizers give a fuck what you and I think. RNC day one is probably quite the success if seen thorugh the eyes of the Trump supporter and the republicans still hanging in there (and it seems to be a healthy portion, looking at poll numbers).

Uh, a large part of the purpose of the national conventions is to showcase the party's platform and candidate and show undecideds why they should vote for them. This is not just to stir up the base.

And if you think day 1 accomplished that, I've got a bridge to sell you...

Clinton camp now naming 5500 Trump suits live on Facebook.

My mistake was looking at the comments from a differnt post. Viewing the 'top comments'...

Jareen Zupancic Actually, he represents us perfectly. That's what scares you. Can you please just once say what your policies are? Do you have any? All you do is attack Trump.

1,841 · Yesterday at 7:45am

Joel Smith Hillary is the 1%, the ruling elite who thinks she's above the law.

2,030 · Yesterday at 7:36am

wtf lol.... so glad i don't have a facebook anymore.

Mr. X

You are right. I´m from a "communist" country in Scandinavia. I´ll be watching and laughing/crying all the way :) It might be crazy. But the crazy has worked before. Reagan, Schwartzenegger, Trump. Seems like natural progression to me.
Hold up, Arnie was a crazy fucking thing but he worked out in the end, surprisingly. Reagan was horrendous.

dramatis

Primarily, the objective of the conventions is to make pitches to voters outside the established base of the candidate. Uniting the base is more of a secondary objective of the conventions, and of yesterday's events, I would say this was actually unsuccessful because of how the rules and voting segment played out.

The speeches made and stories shared were not speeches promoting particular policies but instead were fraught with cultural grievances. Those aren't speeches or speakers that can help Trump engage and win the voters he needs to beat Hillary.

I think what you also have to consider is less how the full convention looks and more as to what filters out to the general public via the media. The top stories are about the disunity and disorder within the party, as well as Melania Trump's plagiarized speech lines. What that looks like to a moderate is disarray and poor leadership, which is not a good look for Trump or his campaign.

That's not to say it's a full-on disaster. I can think of a lot of things that could make it worse.

Garlador

"“I don’t believe the guy is a Christian. I don’t believe the guy follows the God that I love and the Jesus that I love,” Sabato said. “If you follow his story, if you understand about Obama, I mean, that’s not a Christian name, is it?”

Says ANTONIO SABATA JR.

Why is Antonio Sabato Jr. even there?

I don't even have words for this level of dumb...

Sianos

Pence just told a very nice story about the grand old time he had when he met exactly who you expect he met.

He said the man he met even blushed! Homoerotic?!

God really hates the GOP.

http://www.latimes.com/politics/la-na-pol-california-republicans-norovirus-20160719-snap-story.html

At least a dozen California GOP staff members at the Republican National Convention have been quarantined in their hotel rooms after becoming ill with what appears to be a highly contagious norovirus, also known as the cruise-ship virus, according to officials from both the California GOP and local health agencies.

(crossposted from the Melania plagiarist thread)

So, people who are better at this kind of minutiae, help me out. I'm reading the RNC Convention rules (2014 version, can't find the most recent) and I can't figure out what the protocol is if a delegate doesn't show up AND the alternate delegate doesn't show. I'm just curious what the outcome would be if 200 or so Trump-bound delegates weren't able to vote because of "norovirus"...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom