• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Republican National Convention OT |2016|: Behold a Pale Horse With No Name

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mariolee

Missed Donald Trump Jr.'s speech, but apparently the word is that it's incredible?

Edit: too good to be true if judging by the above posts they plagiarized again lol

Man SE Cupp seems to have transitioned fully to the trump team. She was more reasonable during the primary.

I am dissapoint.

I was gonna say that at least Nicole Wallace hasn't gone full crazy considering how she brought up the fact that the party is going to end up being nothing but white men if they keep going this way, but now she's talking about some "both sides" nonsense on MSNBC.

Kid Heart

Welp, not sure how to feel about tonight.

Despite today's agenda supposed to be focusing on jobs the vast majority of speeches tonight went straight to Hillary/Obama/Dem bashing.

Trump's daughter appeared to be one of the only ones who wanted to actually spend their time praising Trump. Even Trump's son spent only the beginning of his speech commending his father before spouting negative democrat rhetoric already mirrored by pretty much everyone else.

While I'm not sure if I'd say it was worse overall then Day 1, Christie's mock trial was probably the most depressing/scary thing so far. Were only two days in and I can't believe how nuts this whole thing is already.

I really hope that instead of trash talking their opponents the Democrats spend the majority of their convention noting all they've accomplished during Obama's tenure, as well as Hillary's own achievements during her time in office, as after this I'm ready for something positive for once.

BokehKing

Banned
Missed Donald Trump Jr.'s speech, but apparently the word is that it's incredible?

Edit: too good to be true if judging by the above posts they plagiarized again lol
It was good, mostly because people thought it would suck and it ended up being decent.

That low expectations factor.

Iolo

I really hope that instead of trash talking their opponents the Democrats spend the majority of their convention noting all they've accomplished during Obama's tenure, as well as Hillary's own achievements during her time in office, as after this I'm ready for something positive for once.

I agree with this. But you have to let Obama tear the shit out of Trump.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Not plagiarized afaik if he got permission to include it.

You need to cite the source. I could give you permission to use this post in a college essay but you'd still get in deep shit if you didn't cite me as the original source.

Xe4

Banned
Jim Fallows is retweeting it. Maybe a few too many local craft beers, but if he's saying it's legit...

Yeah, this could be very real or a total nothingburger if permission was given or not.

Regardless, it's less severe than last nights. Two sentances over two paragraphs. It would be much less of a deal if not for it being (possibly) the second time they fucked up in a row.

You need to cite the source. I could give you permission to use this post in a college essay but you'd still get in deep shit if you didn't cite me as the original source.

True, but this is a speech, not a paper. I'm not sure how citation works in cases like this.

TyrantII

That's not how plagerism works.

True, but this is a speech, not a paper. I'm not sure how citation works in cases like this.

You acknowledge what others wrote, and expand on their argument or debate it. You don't lift it wholesale and pass it as your own.

Imagine reciting Lincoln without attributing the language to him? You lose all credit.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Yeah, this could be very real or a total nothingburger if permission was given or not.

Regardless, it's less severe than last nights. Two sentances over two paragraphs. It would be much less of a deal if not for it being (possibly) the second time they fucked up in a row.

"As such and such said..." "According to an article in the such and such..." Boom, done!

Permission literally doesn't matter in regard to plagiarism. You need to say where you got it from, that's all that matters.

BokehKing

Banned

After Biden and Obama plagerism being plastered all over Facebook today, I don't see this really having any impact On the American public. DNC is better off attacking Christie's trial.

Lyrian

You essentially need to give an in-text citation in a speech for proper citation.

<author> wrote....

According to the American Conservative, ....

and so on.

As mentioned earlier, even with permission, without a citation in the speech the result is outright plagiarism.

What B-Dubs said.

I really like the Founder of American Muslims for Trump.

I disagree with him, but he's a great communicator, and I understand his plight.

Xe4

Banned
That's not how plagerism works.

You acknowledge what others wrote, and expand on their argument or debate it. You don't lift it wholesale and pass it as your own.

Imagine reciting Lincoln without attributing the language to him? You lose all credit.

"As such and such said..." "According to an article in the such and such..." Boom, done!

Permission literally doesn't matter in regard to plagiarism. You need to say where you got it from, that's all that matters.

After Biden and Obama plagerism being plastered all over Facebook today, I don't see this really having any impact On the American public. DNC is better off attacking Christie's trial.

You essentially need to give an in-text citation in a speech for proper citation.

<author> wrote....

According to the American Conservative, ....

and so on.

As mentioned earlier, even with permission, without a citation in the speech the result is outright plagiarism.

What B-Dubs said.

Alright makes sense. Same as in parers I guess. Cite/quote unless common knowledge/common saying.

TheRed

It wasn't incredible, he's just able to speak a little better than his dad which is a low bar.

these Trump kids a really something
hunt30n-8-web.jpg

Kid Heart

I agree with this. But you have to let Obama tear the shit out of Trump.

Yeah, you're right. I'm just hoping their time is spent on something like 75% praise and 25% smack during the convention. Heck, after this I would even be happy with just 60-40.

jbug617

Banned
how big of a bump do you guys see Trump get from this week? Not a lot of selling about him but they are beating the Clinton drum loud.

mo60

Welp, not sure how to feel about tonight.

Despite today's agenda supposed to be focusing on jobs the vast majority of speeches tonight went straight to Hillary/Obama/Dem bashing.

Trump's daughter appeared to be one of the only ones who wanted to actually spend their time praising Trump. Even Trump's son spent only the beginning of his speech commending his father before spouting negative democrat rhetoric already mirrored by pretty much everyone else.

While I'm not sure if I'd say it was worse overall then Day 1, Christie's mock trial was probably the most depressing/scary thing so far. Were only two days in and I can't believe how nuts this whole thing is already.

That is the problem with the RNC this year. What they are saying is probably not going to excite anyone. What they are saying is disgusting and awful mostly. I really hate how much they focusing on Hilary clinton and issues like Benghazi. Some of the speakers bored me to tears on monday. No one bored me to tears today but a lot of the speakers were still awful including Carson and Christie.

mo60

how big of a bump do you guys see Trump get from this week? Not a lot of selling about him but they are beating the Clinton drum loud.

No to little bump. He may even go down in the polls.I don't think the horrible structure of the convention so far and the constant hilary bashing by a lot of the speakers will help him at all in polls.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2

I don't know who the bump would be from. If you believe any of this horseshit you're already on the bandwagon for Trump. If you don't, this is all ranging between a farcical comedy and an abject horrorshow.

Poeton

I like how you act like Trump is just a normal politician and is deserving of being treated as such with logical debate on policy issues. Like seriously.

I actually think there is a fair amount of people here on GAF that would actually like to see the Republicans come back to the center, quit with racist bigoted Bullshit and come to the table with real solutions. I know I am one of them, as currently I can in good conscience only vote for one party and it sure as shit isn't the Republicans.

I'd like to think I am one of those people but lately it has been real hard to think like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom