• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Republican National Convention OT |2016|: Behold a Pale Horse With No Name

Status
Not open for further replies.
CnxueAiW8AA2QT5

If you took a shot every time "Hillary" or "Clinton" was mentioned, you would be dead right now.

Muslims for Trump guy

MIIRPPB.png

Trump is so Christian you wouldn't even begin to understand, son.

Liberty4all

Banned
I like how you act like Trump is just a normal politician and is deserving of being treated as such with logical debate on policy issues. Like seriously.

I actually think there is a fair amount of people here on GAF that would actually like to see the Republicans come back to the center, quit with racist bigoted Bullshit and come to the table with real solutions. I know I am one of them, as currently I can in good conscience only vote for one party and it sure as shit isn't the Republicans.

This is what I'm talking about. I'm not "acting like anything". All I said that was there is a reason nobody in their right mind is going to bother debating from the right here. My last post which simply pointed this out resulted in the above.

I'm not even American so I look at US politics from an outsiders view. Left and right are completely divided at such opposite ends of the spectrum that they can't see each others points without coloring it in ideology which breeds hatred and contempt of each other. It's a country in some ways on the brink.

I just wish the US could find some sort of middle ground. Because right now both sides appear to despise and hate each other. You guys really need a third centralist party ...

BajiBoxer

Banned
This is what I'm talking about. I'm not "acting like anything". All I said that was there is a reason nobody in their right mind is going to bother debating from the right here. My last post which simply pointed this out resulted in the above.

I'm not even American so I look at US politics from an outsiders view. Left and right are completely divided at such opposite ends of the spectrum that they can't see each others points without coloring it in ideology which breeds hatred and contempt of each other It's a country in some ways on the brink.

I just wish the US could find some sort of middle ground. Because right now both sides appear to despise and hate each other. You guys really need a third centralist party ...
I'm not really sure what a party with ideology between the Democrats and Republicans would actually look like.

I'm not even American so I look at US politics from an outsiders view. Left and right are completely divided at such opposite ends of the spectrum that they can't see each others points without coloring it in ideology which breeds hatred and contempt of each other. It's a country in some ways on the brink.

That would be the democrats though. The GOP is so far right that they are quite literally running an authoritarian fascist, and loving the heck out of the guy.

Mr. X

I'd prefer someone more left so the current Democrats are properly in the middle. Anyone in the middle would be mostly right.

I'm not even American so I look at US politics from an outsiders view. Left and right are completely divided at such opposite ends of the spectrum that they can't see each others points without coloring it in ideology which breeds hatred and contempt of each other It's a country in some ways on the brink.

right now, politics in the united states are skewed far to the right so that "centralist party" you speak of is actually the left. when supporting evolution, clean energy, equal marriage, etc, etc, makes you somehow left/democrat, there's a problem. in response to the internet and social media and the younger/left generation having a louder voice, the right has decided to pull further right rather than adapt and evolve with changing demographics and ideologies. of course it's going to appear split, because it is. expecting the left to just concede and concede and concede to racist bigots (who often go against popular opinions demonstrated via nationwide polling) is absolutely ridiculous. it is imperative that people call bullshit when they see bullshit

Lime

It's hard to reach a common ground with people who want you thrown out of the country, killed by police because of your skin color, remove your rights as a citizen because of your sexuality, invade and destroy other countries, thrown in a prison industrial complex, and shit all over the future of the environment with strong anti-scientific thinking.

The polarization is so bad when one of the poles actively wants to destroy you and the rest of humanity.

devilhawk

It's hard to reach a common ground with people who want you thrown out of the country, killed by police because of your skin color, remove your rights as a citizen because of your sexuality, invade and destroy other countries, thrown in a prison industrial complex, and shit all over the future of the environment with strong anti-scientific thinking.

The polarization is so bad when one of the poles actively wants to destroy you and the rest of humanity.
4 out of 6 for Hillary isn't bad, I guess?

Steel

Banned
I'd prefer someone more left so the current Democrats are properly in the middle. Anyone in the middle would be mostly right.

Democrats would be able to go left if there was an actual centrist party. A far left only party would just insure that neither they nor the democrats could win an election, a centrist party would take from both parties.

That being said with the electoral college this is all moot, as a viable third party would just insure that Congress would choose the president.

"but if you hate the candidates who support a platform like that, then your side is equally bad, actually"

HylianTom

Banned

Yep. For many of us, we think of these fights not only as politics but also as self-defense.

This year is particularly pivotal. There's an empty court seat as we sit here, and a few other justices who are likely to retire.

If the GOP wins, the high court likely tilts rightward for at least a few decades - which means that our federal judiciary is much more likely to not intervene as conservative states legislate various groups into second-class status. Conservative majorities will feel free to vote to eat the minority for lunch, metaphorically speaking.

If the Democrat wins, the high court is likely to put a lot of those state-level actions on ice. A whole swath of the GOP's platform suddenly becomes judicially unviable.

Combine this with the knowledge that demographic changes are making the GOP's chances of winning at the federal level more and more difficult, and it at least partially explains why we're seeing such frantic, desperate clawing at the Democratic candidate and her backers. They're terrified.

As long as the GOP continues to come after us, we have no choice but to fight. I'd love two sane parties from which to choose (and due to our system's structure, this is something that won't happen until one of the two parties just plain breaks) - but until then, this is the framework we have to navigate.

Mr. X

Democrats would be able to go left if there was an actual centrist party. A far left only party would just insure that neither they nor the democrats could win an election, a centrist party would take from both parties.

That being said with the electoral college this is all moot, as a viable third party would just insure that Congress would choose the president.
What would a centrist party look like in the US? The right is actually campaigning on xenophobia, islamphobia, homophobia, racism and misogyny. If you take that away, what's left? Anti-science/intellectual and top down economics and war hawks?

Lime

This happened to the protester with the "no racism no hate" flag after they tried to cover her banner with an American flag:

CnxswNHW8AApz7n

Maybe an accident but still, it looks pretty bad

Steel

Banned
What would a centrist party look like in the US? The right is actually campaigning on xenophobia, islamphobia, homophobia, racism and misogyny. If you take that away, what's left? Anti-science/intellectual and top down economics and war hawks?

Why does it have to take that from the conservatives to be centrists? The actual center would be closer to 2nd term Obama. Conservatives are just really far down their end of the spectrum. They could be for some deregulation(which does have positive economic effects but can cause recessions) and some regulation marketwise depending on what's necessary at the time. They could also care about the budget, but not with the single-minded zealotry that the modern republican party has.

You can't have a functional, enduring, 3rd Party in America without a Constitutional Amendment. If one person doesn't get over half of the delegates, then the Congress picks the winner.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Probaly socially left progressive views but way further right on fiscal matters?
No one on the right actually believes in any of the fiscal conservatism crap they spew. They've never actually proven to be any better at keeping down debt or spending any better than Democrats. All the talk of "small government" and fiscal conservatism is little more than yet another dog whistle, this time for basically saying "I don't want to pay for anything that doesn't benefit me directly". aka, screw you, I got mine.

I think things like anti-science/intellectual and top-down economics are stances that are going to lose relevancy in politics before the various -phobias among conservative voters. It's already getting to the point where their entire economic platform is just name-dropping Reagan and dropping the mic. Fiscal conservatives who lean left on social issues are kind of a myth, or they're already voting Democrat anyway.

If the Dems moved more left, a hypothetical centrist party would honestly not look much different than the Democratic Party as it exists right now. By most other Western country standards, they would already be considered the centrist party.

roytheone

Meanwhile

imagem1big.jpeg

(For those who don't know, gert wilders is one of Europes biggest racist politicians)

I wonder if that is a smart move, connecting yourself with Trump. Trump is pretty hated here, even by people that would consider voting for Geertje.

Wow it is so manly to kill defenseless endangered animals.

Not trying to start a debate on the issue, but in a lot of circumstances, these tourist hunting trips really help conservation efforts. Charge a bunch of rich assholes tens of thousands of dollars to essentially euthanize animals on the verge of death, then donate the meat to a local village, and use that money to pay for more rangers and better security measures. In regions where you can buy tags to hunt these animals poachers are substantially less effective.

well considering that the page has a pinned tweet linking to poe's law, i'm guessing it isn't.
That's a whole ton of dedication toward something being potentially claimed as satirical. Like a TON of effort, both in quantity and quality. Even if it's satire, there's some seriously bad things going on there. Plus, there are multiple calls out to Milo, suggesting some truth to it all. No one would ever fake an interest in Milo.
Eh, I missed that. Some of the retweets and comments are not making me feel better, though.

Sigh.
There's a line deep where someone's claimed satire is an attempt to cover up reality. Re: Every gay Republican politician ever. I don't know. That's a seriously screwed up twitter account.

Diablos

Romney didn't get a bump and his convention wasn't a dumpster fire that raged for 4 days straight.
But Romney and his campaign had the charisma of a wet fart.

The hate for Hillary is real, and they were tenacious in letting you know that last night. They're capitalizing on that in full force.

After watching day 2 of the RNC it seems obvious that attacking Clinton is #1 on the agenda. This is probably the smart thing to do for Trump and the campaign.

Why? If the election becomes a referendum on Trump, he will lose. Now, if the Trump campaign can push the conversation and attention to be about Clinton, she might lose.

Both are wildly unpopular. Right now 39 percent like Clinton. 34,6 percent like Trump. This is everything the election will be about from this point onwards. Some pundits think Trump is lucky he is now fighting Clinton - and vice versa.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom