• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Secret World |OT| Everything is True

So, I haven't been able to find a good consensus on this game. I loved AoC, but I got into it after they were back on an upward path (bugs were fixed/being fixed, major gameplay changes/improvements, new content, etc.)

Several gaffers in one of the TSW threads said there were a lot of bugs, broken quests, etc. Is this game worth getting into now, or should I wait a few months?

I am so ready to get this game, but having enough second thoughts to not bite the bullet.

Carcetti

The broken quests are a definite minority. I think I had to drop like 2 or 3 quests and according to notes they fixed all but one. Lots of people are claiming quests like Big Terrible Picture are bugged when they're not just because those quests are really, really, really difficult.

derFeef

"A lot of bugs" is certainly a stretch, but some issues are there just like with any MMO.
I think most if not all of the investigation missions in Kingsmouth are fixed now. There are still some issues with crafting and the chat window but tolerable (to me).

Besides that I am not experiencing any major issues. I would say that this game came out far more polished than AoC is now, and there were a lot of fixes in the last 2 major patches as well. Maybe wait until the first major content pack hits end of July and then decide?

Tell me about it, and I feel like I'm never on when other people are?
Just not enough GAF players overall I think.

I broke down and upped my sub to 6 months. This is one of the best MMOs I have ever played.

So, I haven't been able to find a good consensus on this game. I loved AoC, but I got into it after they were back on an upward path (bugs were fixed/being fixed, major gameplay changes/improvements, new content, etc.)

Several gaffers in one of the TSW threads said there were a lot of bugs, broken quests, etc. Is this game worth getting into now, or should I wait a few months?

I am so ready to get this game, but having enough second thoughts to not bite the bullet.

It's definitely worth it. I have only done all of Kingsmouth and a large portion of Savage Coast, and there have been very few bugs or issues. Really minor stuff outside of a quest or two not working all the time (which seems to be resolved with the latest patch).

The client and server structure is really stable and overall I have had an extremely smooth experience. Funcom seems to be on top of bug fixes and making improvements quickly with large updates planned to hit every month on top of the patches. I was impressed to see Ragnar posting and communicating with fans on the forums on a regular basis too. Community has been pretty great for an MMO so far!

Thanks for the impressions, guys. I will actually be away from my gaming computer for two weeks starting Thursday :( Very tempting to give it a shot over the next two days but might just wait.

derFeef

Some patch notes from testlive (1.1)

* Added a camera sensitivity option.
* Your character can now be rotated on the character selection screen.
* London : For the truly rapacious, tacos are now sold in packs of 10 and 50. Tacos can now also be stacked up to 100 per inventory slot.
* Updated several combat ability animations.
* It is now possible to play audio in fully unlocked lore.
And looots of other stuff, man Funcom is on track with this (I think that's the Unleashed update)

Some patch notes from testlive (1.1)

And looots of other stuff, man Funcom is on track with this (I think that's the Unleashed update)

Awesome. Yeah, I think I recall Ragnar referring to the August update as 1.2 so I think the patches are like 1.0.1, 1.0.2, 1.0.3, and each issue would be like 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, etc.

Karak

Officially my favorite MMO ever. I loved me some WOW, have a great time with Star Trek online, enjoyed the hell out of Knights of the Old online, but this TAKES.THE.CAKE.

Also very few bugs. Got threw the 2 quests that seemed to be the highest bug chance. And just having a fucking ball. Smooth ass launch compared to...well everything I have ever played.

Dem cutscenes.

vaelic

Banned

get the game bugs are in minority and they patched 2 weeks in a row now. game is AWESOME

owlbeak

Even when you encounter bugs, customer service is FAST to resolve them in my experience. I had two quests in the savage coast that I couldn't advance because of a bug. I sent a petition to a GM and within 15 minutes on both issues a GM had responded and placed the items I needed in my inventory and advanced the quest to the next tier.

Last night we ran the Inferno dungeon and after killing the boss, we went to the loot bag but a cutscene started and when it ended no one could click on the lootbag and chat said we had all passed on the items. I petitioned a GM and within 3 minutes, a GM appeared next to my character in-game and started asking what happened. Unfortunately we had already exited the instance so he couldn't do anything since he couldn't verify we hadn't actually gotten the items from the lootbag. He apologized and asked if I needed anything else. I said no and he did a cartwheel emote and disappeared. It was hilarious. :)

Customer support has been outstanding for the game.

derFeef

Nice, chautemoc! Tesselation is really the worst offender.

b3701af4.jpg

e7a8972d.jpg

13b57281.jpg

Was awesome GAF Templars! Now I fall asleep on my desk...

Just look at my character in the second shot, he is so pleased! ;)

edit: and yeah sorry to everyone I did not respond during our runs, it was hectic.

Effect

Did Dead in the Water last night. That was a lot of fun. Our healer had a connection problem at the end. However we managed to be the last boss, after a few tries, with just four of us. It was close. The size of the boss was impressive. Looking to tackle Inferno after I get some ql3 or 5 gear. It's flagged as very hard for me at the moment.

fauxtrot

Banned
This game....

Fraco-SoGood.gif

If anyone ever wants to quest or run some dungeons, I'm a pretty decent tank with almost all blue QL6 gear... the name's "El-Tee" in game.

nem8

Neo Member
Just adding my voice to the chorus.

This game ROCKS!

I have played it for about a week now, halfway through Egypt and i cant get enough!
Currently playing as a Templar on the Huldra server (not that server matters) so i will be checking out the GAF cabal i think.. :)

Oh yeah, and im ranged DPS. Doing Elementalism and Shotty at the moment (Magus deck) but im thinking of either doing Heals or Tanks as my next deck.

Bru

Nice, chautemoc! Tesselation is really the worst offender.

edit: and yeah sorry to everyone I did not respond during our runs, it was hectic.

Really enjoyed last night, especially when that hell boss finally fell! I've never died so many times in such a small space of time on an MMO before, I had to swap out an attack skill for a self heal in the end.

That said, our healer did an amazing job under the circumstances, when you're faced with one hit kills there's really only so much you can do.

Can't wait to do it again!

TimeKillr

Yeah, this is insane. I love this game. It's so damn different than most MMOs it's not even funny.

Although I do feel like I'm lacking a bit in the damage department. I'm AR Healing, and I did a small test where I swapped out my healing gear for damage gear just so that I could dps a bit more when soloing but still keep the awesome survivability of self-healing...

I do kill a bit faster, but not that much, strangely. The biggest thing that changed is that my finisher for soloing, Transfuse Anima, jumped from 300 damage on average to 600 damage on average (which is crazy). I still use Anima Burst as my main builder, mainly for the self-healing (I also get self-healing via Healing Sparks and Lick Your Wounds) but I'm wondering if I should swap that out as I'm getting 50hp/sec during combat constantly. It's not enough to keep me topped off in case of emergencies, but it's still quite viable.

Maybe if I keep that and add Safety Off, I could use Safety Off as a builder and switch to Anima Burst when I'm getting low on life...

I don't think I've ever done so much thinking about builds in an MMO in my entire life. I absolutely love the fact that the skill system is so crazy open-ended that you can literally do whatever you want and still come out on top, which is verrrrrrrrrrrry nice :)

Carcetti

Finished Egypt yesterday and felt dread that the content was running out. Hopefully next area is big.

I'd have messaged you lot ingame but then I realized I didn't remember anyone's name.

vaelic

Banned
I am at savage coast. I imagine I have a lot of content to go, yet?

also, I love the creepy vibes of kingsmouth and savage coast. does that keep up in the other zones?

Jubbly

Finished Egypt yesterday and felt dread that the content was running out. Hopefully next area is big.

I'd have messaged you lot ingame but then I realized I didn't remember anyone's name.

Sun God is pretty big, and then you have another 3 zones also, plus the new content coming out on the 31st, plus Elite and Nightmare dungeons, plus world bosses.

You still have 3 more pretty big zones for questing. After that, I imagine finding a good group to grind elites and nightmares is the next step. Soloing won't really be viable for passing time anymore, though, so you'll need to make some friends to keep the game fresh and fun. Ragnar also said 2 more regions (each about the size of Egypt) will be announced (free to subscribers) very soon, so that should keep people busy too.

Also, grind out the decks, lore and achievements for cool outfits. I think there is plenty to keep people busy for a few months for sure, granted you're willing to become a solid player and work at the hard end-game content.

Almost forgot.. Raids are coming. First one is in NYC with 10 and 20 man versions. This is what I'm most excited about (I love raid progression, even if it means dying for 4 hours straight).

I am at savage coast. I imagine I have a lot of content to go, yet?

also, I love the creepy vibes of kingsmouth and savage coast. does that keep up in the other zones?

I think Blue Mountain is even creepier, so you're good in that department. Just be prepared for tougher gameplay at that point, or just move on to Egypt for some better gear and come right back to Blue Mountain. Also, don't miss out on The Darkness War. It truly is the most amazing instance I've seen in a Funcom game... so impressed.

owlbeak

Any of you guys want to run Inferno, Polaris, or whatever the instance in Blue Mountain is today?

I need to do these more! I can never find a group.

Some tips for new players coming in:

Do not treat this like a conventional MMO where you head straight for the NPCs, grab a bunch of quests, click through all the dialog, and follow map markers to your objective. This is more like a traditional RPG with rich lore, characters, and a fully realized world and theme. Explore everything and don't rush to the end of the game as there is no reward for doing so.

There are no player levels in this game and players with higher level items are not that much better off than players with lower level items, when it comes to running the challenging and unique dungeons. Having better items and unlocking more beneficial abilities will give players an advantage but since the game limits the amount of abilities you can equip to 7 active and 7 passive, out of a possible 540+, everything feels really balanced. This is ingenious because it allows players of almost any progression point to quest, fight tough monsters, and complete dungeons together. If you are like me and work 40-60 hours a week, you are a lot less likely to get that feeling that you are constantly being left behind. There is no struggle or reason to struggle to stay ahead here and it's fantastic.

Take your time with the missions and quests. Listen to everything the NPCs have to say, exhaust all dialog options, and read ALL the additional information. This includes the quest info, reports you get for completing quests, collected items and lore, quest logs, etc. There is usually some additional information and background to be discovered outside of what is being said by the NPCs.

There are multiple dialog options for every NPC. The dialog will continue with new information until there is a green check mark next to the option.

Do NOT cheat on the investigation missions by looking up guides and hints. Though it can eat up a lot of time and test your patience, it is extremely rewarding figuring out the quests on your own. You can always "pause" the mission and come back later to continue where you left off it you get too frustrated.

For character building, the decks are a good starting point but can easily be surpassed in capability and are not a good reference for specific builds in tanking or healing. You will need to do some research and experiment! Also, don't get discouraged by the inner abilities as a lot of the best abilities are unlocked on the outer part of the wheel.

Do not let the combat turn you away from the game. As mentioned before, there are over 540 abilities which adds a ton of variety and once you start unlocking later abilities and doing some of the dungeons, things will really start to click. The combat is actually quite good and has a lot of action elements incorporated into it. Bosses and monsters have tells or patterns that appear on the ground which warn you of their attacks. They can be dodged using an active dodge ability or avoided by moving out of range. In addition, weapons build "resources" which are like combo points that allow you to unleash stronger attacks and many abilities have bonus effects that can process on a mob and once processed, other abilities can process further bonus effects. There is a lot to pay attention to and most of the dungeons consist of several boss fights that are interesting and accompanied by environmental mechanics that will force you to stay on your toes.

Run the dungeons more than once! They are really fun and challenging to complete and you can get weapons and items for your other builds while gaining a good amount of AP/SP to grow your character. It's also a good testing grounds for trying out new builds.

Don't vendor your old items! Break them down in the assembly window and use the materials to craft stronger items.

Participate in PVP. It's a lot like playing Team Fortress 2 in that there are clear objectives and it is very fast paced and team oriented. You will be rewarded with AP and SP to build your character for completing certain quests (e.g. capture anima well, capture facility, kill 10 players) and if your faction controls the majority of the Warzone, you get some really nice PVE buffs like increased damage and an experience points bonus. There are also some achievements that can be earned. It can get repetitive after a while but it's great in short bursts and a nice way to break up the questing. Hopefully they will continue to make improvements and add more content like the upcoming PVP dungeon they have mentioned.

Almost forgot. Roleplay. If you're into that kind of thing this seems like a pretty good place to do so. The community and developers have been very friendly to roleplayers.

Kazehaya, here. I'm glad I was "working" from home that day because that was an absolute blast. I wish we could do that more often but alas timezones...

Hopefully we will be able to group up and tackle some more content on the weekend when it is more convenient for everyone. I wouldn't mind doing those same dungeons again either because it was really fun and there are still some of us that need the Inferno gear for their current or alternate builds.

Really enjoyed last night, especially when that hell boss finally fell! I've never died so many times in such a small space of time on an MMO before, I had to swap out an attack skill for a self heal in the end.

That said, our healer did an amazing job under the circumstances, when you're faced with one hit kills there's really only so much you can do.

Can't wait to do it again!

I don't think I have ever had that much fun doing dungeons in a MMO before. It was brutal and I loved every minute of it.

She will really appreciate the compliment. She usually plays healers in MMOs but it is so different in this game that she had a tough time in the beginning and almost gave up on it. Those off heals on that last fight helped a lot in between pulling the boss between his meteor strikes. I also learned that while kiting with my back turned to the boss, I could continue hitting him with my AOE attack and leech HP to help keep my health up. I think ultimately though it was Idigoo's new pants that eventually lead us to glorious victory.

I don't think I've ever done so much thinking about builds in an MMO in my entire life. I absolutely love the fact that the skill system is so crazy open-ended that you can literally do whatever you want and still come out on top, which is verrrrrrrrrrrry nice :)

Yeah, it's pretty crazy. When I get a nice chunk of AP/SP, I'm usually stuck in the skills menu for a long time planning out my build(s).

I started the game using Pistols with Elementalism as a secondary and quickly switched from pistols to Shotgun, primarily going for the deck build. After realizing there are very few tanks in the game or people with viable tank builds, I experimented with building a Shotgun tank and then went full into Hammer tank for the increased damage mitigation. By the time I reached the outer ring of Hammer abilities I came to the conclusion that I hated Hammer gameplay and switched to using Blade. I enjoyed the Blade build so much that I decided to go full on tanking and went with Chaos Magic (along with some passives from Fists and AR) to compliment it. I still have a good portion of the outer ring unlocked for both Shotgun and Elementalism so I can swap in those abilities for solo play, questing, PVP, or pure DPS but I can say now that Blade and Chaos is going to be my primary build.

It was really fun experimenting and there are almost endless possibilities. It took a while to unlock all the AP/SP required to do this but it never felt like a grind.

You can check the Secret World GAF spreadsheet. It has everyone's GAF name and player name listed along with faction, timezones, and dimension.

I see some people in the list that haven't joined the Cabal yet and some people posting that aren't listed at all. Don't forget to add yourself!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Aj-Z5j_AQ0xNdHlxeTlXbnRNYkFyUVpwSWZlMmxaMmc#gid=0

I am still in the early part of the game, haven't finished Savage Coast yet, and in comparison I would probably have 3 level 60 characters in TERA by now. Based on story, quest, and mission content, I would say that this game easily surpasses any other MMO I have played at launch, content wise. I would be sad too if I was close to the end though... I never want to stop playing this. I'm very much looking forward to Issue #1 and any future plans they have for the game!

Y'all really need to shut the fuck up, you're making me super hype for this game and I won't be able to play it until the first week of August. :(

vaelic

Banned
I think Blue Mountain is even creepier, so you're good in that department. Just be prepared for tougher gameplay at that point, or just move on to Egypt for some better gear and come right back to Blue Mountain. Also, don't miss out on The Darkness War. It truly is the most amazing instance I've seen in a Funcom game... so impressed.

awesome. what zone is the darkness war in?

pyrandes

^It's in Blue Mountain.

How hard is Darkness War compared to Inferno?

It presents different challenges, but i didnt find it all too hard (to tank) when i did it. The biggest problem would be for dps to actively switch dps between bosses and adds at appropiate times

^It's in Blue Mountain.

How hard is Darkness War compared to Inferno?

As long as you're geared correctly it's not too difficult really. Need a good AoE tank with some sense for movement and placement, though. I tanked it fine, though, with QL5-6 gear and without a dedicated healer too.

Does the miner's cap have any other function past the initial Templar quest? Or it just a visual thing and the usefulness of the light? Just curious since I got rid of it once I was done with the quest.

here are some nice clothes of people who were at the same time on the same place :)
For people who did not know how amazing clothes looks in this game ^^

Damn. Funcom has always had great art design, though. Well, I can only speak from AoC, but some of the final armor sets/designs in that game were amazing.

Madouu

Does the miner's cap have any other function past the initial Templar quest? Or it just a visual thing and the usefulness of the light? Just curious since I got rid of it once I was done with the quest.

You will be in some other places where you will have to use it, but there's always a conveniently placed extra miner cap placed nearby so no worries.

Just finished the main story in Egypt, I loved the zone.
Although I'm kind of mad at my faction right now, all that hard work done only for them to try and terminate me!
. In any case, I still haven't done both Ankh and Hell Fallen, we should probably try both dungeons sometime soon.

KEEP IT.

The one from "Into Darkness" never runs out of batteries and can be used anywhere. There are other dark areas for which this functionality is REALLY GOOD. I regret deleting mine frequently.

Top Bottom