• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Secret World |OT| Everything is True

acksman

I am going to try out the free weekend at some point. I have it downloaded and ready to go once I get off work. That is if I don't decide to go see Total Recall instead tonight.

owlbeak

Gonna be on a lot this weekend if anyone wants to run Darkness War, Ankh, or whatever! Going to try to get that free money as well for 30 missions.

dubq

Does anyone have any tips on getting to the two lore points on the rooftops in Seoul? I can get on the roof of an adjacent building but it seems like jumping over to either side is impossible. :(

Vlodril

So they're pretty much giving away 8 pounds worth of points, or the-most-expensive-currently-available store item for turning in a bunch of quests? Am I missing some big catch there?

What quests? Is there an event or something due to the free weekend?

StMeph

So I downloaded the title last night, and the game loaded. Since it wasn't the free weekend yet, I wasn't able to do anything, but I messed around with a few of the settings, one of which required restarting. Figured I'd get all of that out of the way.

Trying to run the program again, the patcher would get stuck with a full white bar, but still say that it's patching. Attempting to check my local files would end in an error.

Checked online about this issue, and it seems pretty common, but there was no common fix. I'm not home yet, so I haven't been able to try it since then, but does anyone know the issue I'm talking about?

derFeef

So I downloaded the title last night, and the game loaded. Since it wasn't the free weekend yet, I wasn't able to do anything, but I messed around with a few of the settings, one of which required restarting. Figured I'd get all of that out of the way.

Trying to run the program again, the patcher would get stuck with a full white bar, but still say that it's patching. Attempting to check my local files would end in an error.

Checked online about this issue, and it seems pretty common, but there was no common fix. I'm not home yet, so I haven't been able to try it since then, but does anyone know the issue I'm talking about?

I once had the problem in beta that it was "patching" but there was no progress to be seen or showing weird patching numbers, so I guess it is the same problem. I let it sit there for some time and it fixed itself eventually. No guarantee it works for you and no idea how long it took, though :/

SJRB

Gold Member
The free fireworks are very awesome.

Other than that I'm more or less doing a second run on the Kingsmouth quests before I venture into the Savage Coast.

It's difficult to track if you're "on track" to proceed to the next chapter of the game. I still feel like my attack damage is relatively low, not feeling very powerful yet. My health is about 2500 so I can take a few punches but still.

owlbeak

Is there an achievement or anything for these 30 quests or any way to know when you've done 30? I've already lost count!

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
so i decided to go ahead and try this out

anywhere in particular that GAF hangs out or not?

The free fireworks are very awesome.

Other than that I'm more or less doing a second run on the Kingsmouth quests before I venture into the Savage Coast.

It's difficult to track if you're "on track" to proceed to the next chapter of the game. I still feel like my attack damage is relatively low, not feeling very powerful yet. My health is about 2500 so I can take a few punches but still.

Where?

Edit: Nevermind. I found it on the item store. WEEEE!!!

owlbeak

Have any of you had issues with shadows cast on character models since the new patch? All shadows are fine everywhere but ones cast onto the player model. They look like this:

ial6z.jpg

All shitty and dithered looking. Just started since the new update. Not all of the shadows on the player model are like that but some sections are. Changed settings and drivers, still looks the same so I'm wondering if it's on their end.

Oh fuck I just found a pretty great way to solve Dead Air if you don't know morse code. No cheating involved at all. Well, I will still need to cross-reference what beeps mean what.

I just started the game as a male with Dragons and one of the first cutscenes
features fellatio
... I guess?

What happens if your gender is feminine?

I'm using the free trial but my first impression is more than positive: It doesn't feel at all like a MMO.

derFeef

@birdcity, shadows are fine for me.

I just started the game as a male with Dragons and one of the first cutscenes
features fellatio
... I guess?

What happens if your gender is feminine?

I'm using the free trial but my first impression is more than positive: It doesn't feel at all like a MMO.

The same thing happens ;)

SJRB

Gold Member
Just did the Into Darkness faction mission for the Dragon, that was hard as hell and without any reward other than XP.

Is there a point where you get faction-related gear/outfits or is that only when you get the top-tier ranking?

Just did the Into Darkness faction mission for the Dragon, that was hard as hell and without any reward other than XP.

Is there a point where you get faction-related gear/outfits or is that only when you get the top-tier ranking?
Yea they will come at certain faction ranks.

Also if you fulfill the skill set of predetermined class, ie the Puritan you get said outfit and each faction has a unique design for the decks.

Kem0sabe

Been playing the free weekend and i have to say that i´m very dissapointed with the community i found, at least so far as kingsmouth. The ammount of elist pricks in the chat badmouthing new players and insulting everyone that asks a question, seriously messed up.

Seems like the only way these people know how to justify their purchase of the game is to badmouth WoW and tell people to go back to it.

Otherwise, i´m having fun with the quests, a bit too many kill x quests, especialy the mass grave quests, but some other awesome ones and great dialogue especialy from the local priest. :)

I think that if it wasn´t for GW2 and the subscription price, i would definitely play this game and even spend some money in the cash shop to support it.

Carcetti

The community seems to be the worst part of it, or at least part of the community. Everyone I've interacted has been super friendly, but the Agartha channels especially are full of super elitist jerks. Reminds me of the worst gearscore fad days of WoW.

The community seems to be the worst part of it, or at least part of the community. Everyone I've interacted has been super friendly, but the Agartha channels especially are full of super elitist jerks. Reminds me of the worst gearscore fad days of WoW.

There's a bit of that, and a bit of bitter assholes who can't get over minor bugs and Funcom this, Funcom that. It's quite annoying, but overall I've had great experiences with the people actually PLAYING the game.

Really, the overall community is great, but in General especially all the boners hang out. Last night I got into it with a few people who wouldn't shut up about a few issues that are being ironed out regarding the auction house. Needless to say, the one guy was going off and saying how much he hates the game, how he cancelled yesterday. Then I asked what he was doing taking advantage of the free weekend if he hated it so much? Backpedal backpedal. Please don't let the community discourage you folks, the minority in General chat especially have carried over from the worse MMO elitism but overall most people are willing to help.

Honestly a lot of the side quests you're talking about are somewhat lackluster, but they're simply there to flesh out the world and keep your character moving forward. If you notice that the quests are spread out in a way that correspond to each other you appreciate it a bit more. Definitely keep to the more organic nature of the quests and don't just roam around seeking quest-givers. The game is tied together very well with both minor quests and major quests on purpose.

I'm glad people are giving it a chance on GAF though!

Htown

I just wish I was somewhere other than Kingsmouth. With the stupid quest limits it is taking for fucking ever.

also the idea that you're supposed to google for quest hints is dumb for multiple reasons.

love the skill system though.

owlbeak

I just wish I was somewhere other than Kingsmouth. With the stupid quest limits it is taking for fucking ever.

also the idea that you're supposed to google for quest hints is dumb for multiple reasons.

You're doing it wrong if you're googling for quest hints. That's not what the browser is for. And again, not a typical MMO where you load up on quests and knock them all out. You're supposed to actually be interested in the story, not just on blazing through to the next zone. I spent around 36 hours game time in Kingsmouth.

derFeef

Yeah... if you have some quirks with the game better keep it for yourself because the chat will jump on you real fast. Someone said to me I should go back to WoW because I said the stealth missions are not very well designed and it should give you more feedback.

Generally turn off the General chat, you will have a much greater time ;)

SJRB

Gold Member
The problem with general chat is people asking for help, hints or tips and people who do not want to read those spoilers because they're doing the missions themselves.

A lot of "badmouthing" could be fixed by adding a "help"-channel.

And of course there are the elitists who scorn anyone asking for even the slightest bit of help. I try to help whenever I can because some quests can be pretty unclear.

kurahador

The problem with general chat is people asking for help, hints or tips and people who do not want to read those spoilers because they're doing the missions themselves.

A lot of "badmouthing" could be fixed by adding a "help"-channel.

And of course there are the elitists who scorn anyone asking for even the slightest bit of help. I try to help whenever I can because some quests can be pretty unclear.

There is a Help channel you know, it's called Mission Hints.

Effect

Sadly these people are in every game.

The browser is meant to be usd as a tool to further your knowledge in the corresponding subject matter in the mission. Not to simply look up hints. There is a mission where you must research different medications and treat people accordingly, for instance.

Htown

You're doing it wrong if you're googling for quest hints. That's not what the browser is for. And again, not a typical MMO where you load up on quests and knock them all out. You're supposed to actually be interested in the story, not just on blazing through to the next zone. I spent around 36 hours game time in Kingsmouth.

then why is google the home page?

and why does the pastor have actual in-game dialogue about how awesome google is?

exactly what am I supposed to be doing?

owlbeak

then why is google the home page?

and why does the pastor have actual in-game dialogue about how awesome google is?

exactly what am I supposed to be doing?
You don't just google for the hint to the quest you're on haha. You use google to look up information to solve the puzzles in the quest but not by googling how to solve the puzzles directly. For instance there are websites created specifically for this game where you can go to find clues to solve puzzles. Other missions will require you to google ingredients or other things to solve.

Htown

You don't just google for the hint to the quest you're on haha. You use google to look up information to solve the puzzles in the quest but not by googling how to solve the puzzles directly. For instance there are websites created specifically for this game where you can go to find clues to solve puzzles. Other missions will require you to google ingredients or other things to solve.

Yeah I saw that. Like the fake newspaper site.

Unfortunately Funcom didn't seem to think about the fact that the same terms you'd google to find their fake websites would instead lead to search results that just solve the puzzle for you once the game was out for a while. I could barely see their stuff under like five message board posts and two wikis just talking about the game.

also the built-in search on their fake website totally sucks

Yeah I saw that. Like the fake newspaper site.

Unfortunately Funcom didn't seem to think about the fact that the same terms you'd google to find their fake websites would instead lead to search results that just solve the puzzle for you once the game was out for a while. I could barely see their stuff under like five message board posts and two wikis just talking about the game.

also the built-in search on their fake website totally sucks

That quest specifically is the only one I recall that would have been harder to "search" for because it would lead you to a walk-through. However, the other investigation missions are amazing because they require you to seek out additional knowledge that is necessary to figure it out. Adventure game like.

Htown

That quest specifically is the only one I recall that would have been harder to "search" for because it would lead you to a walk-through. However, the other investigation missions are amazing because they require you to seek out additional knowledge that is necessary to figure it out. Adventure game like.

I hope so. Maybe I just picked the wrong one to start with.

But seriously who thought these draconian quest limits were a good idea? There are like seven quest givers spread all across this town and they each have 2-3 missions that you have to complete one at a time.

It wouldn't even be as much of an issue if they turned some of those quests into side quests instead of main quests, but nope. I got three missions for you. Complete them one at a time.

Top Bottom