• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Secret World |OT| Everything is True

derFeef

^^ heh!

That gangster suit is neat.

0sjaR.jpg

Ordered this baby today. Been looking for another MMO to get into. Have 2 free weeks so might as well kill some time. Got 30 more minutes on my download. Thinking about rolling a Templar. Any servers to play with GAF?

owlbeak

Ordered this baby today. Been looking for another MMO to get into. Have 2 free weeks so might as well kill some time. Got 30 more minutes on my download. Thinking about rolling a Templar. Any servers to play with GAF?
Single server technology, baby! Doesn't matter what server you're on, you can play with friends.

I did some testing with the NVIDIA beta drivers and TXAA.

The anti aliasing is much better with TXAA than SMAA or FXAA but I noticed a small hit in performance when using TXAA. I was getting about 5-10 FPS lower with TXAA x2 compared to FXAA HQ. TXAA x4 hits performance even harder. Overall, FXAA HQ provides a much "crisper" image but TXAA eliminates almost all jaggies and shimmering at the cost of some performance.

Visually it looks much better than SMAA and while it doesn't blur the UI or text, it does have a less "crisp" or perhaps film quality look to it. Some people may perceive this as "blur". I read that some details can appear lost or less sharp because TXAA applies to the geometry and entire textures.

Another thing I noticed is that TXAA tends to push my GTX 670 pretty hard. NVIDIA boost is almost always active and power levels, fan speed, GPU load, GPU memory usage, and temps are much higher when running TXAA compared to FXAA.

It could be the nature of new technology or the beta drivers but I was a little disappointed with the performance. Hopefully this will improve over time but for now, I'm sticking with FXAA HQ.

Tested with Ultra settings and SSAO on high with no Tessellation enabled.
AMD Phenom X6 1090T @ 4.2 Ghz
MSI GTX 670 OC

Edit: With SSAO on Low, TXAA x2 performance is pretty comparable (if not better) to FXAA HQ and is a pretty good trade off.

Mithos

Gold Member
So where do one get the cheapest (legit) CD-Key for this game? I mean I've seen prices ranging from €25 up to €50 and they all claim to have the game with 30 days of gametime included.

Mithos

Gold Member
Boxed version costs 39€ at Amazon. Keysites are banned for a reason here.

Well I play MMO's in 1 of 3 ways.

1. Free game, free play
2. Pay for game, free play.
3. Free game, pay for play.

I DON'T

4. Pay for game, pay to play.

So I'm trying to save money, so if there are some site out there that are selling cd-keys that are actually legit cd-keys (aka sanctioned) and that are NOT stolen, that's what I'm looking for.

derFeef

1. Free game, free play

I DON'T

So I'm trying to save money, so if there are some site out there that are selling cd-keys that are actually legit cd-keys (aka sanctioned) and that are NOT stolen, that's what I'm looking for.

You would only save money if you already know you are going to play the game over a longer period of time. If you pay the box you have one month gametime, which may be enough (and better value as other mmo/rpg's for sure). I see where you are coming from, but buying a key is always against the company who made the game.

1. Free game, free play

I DON'T

I don't know of any current deals so it might be best to just wait for a sale. There will be one... eventually. if the game is available on GMG there are a ton of 15%, 20%, and 25% off discount codes floating around.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE

1. Free game, free play

I DON'T

In that case, I would wait.

Subcription MMOs don't last long nowadays, and as much as I liked Secret World over the free weekend, I could tell it's single player focused enough to not be able to support a subscription model long term.

dubq

I was just checking out the War Z GAF thread. Any other TSW players here gonna check that one out at beta or launch?

derFeef

Some stuff from the stream:
  • Transylvania is harder on purpose, make you switch skills more often. Game turns into a flat progression there, all three zones are the same skill wise etc.
  • Fusang is undergoing a change currently. Was not meant to be zerging. Reward defending more, more missions, slower pace.
  • Some announcements regarding Ability Wheel expanding on Gamescom next week.
  • They didn't want to force "cookie cutter builds". Tanks have to use specific skills etc., they want more variety.
  • PvP dungeon "maybe"
  • They agree that some impact effects are not strong enough
  • There is some misconception about the builders. "Build less, exploit early" is the key.
  • This months update is big (GC info)
  • Originally there were 15 weapons (Axes, sub-machine guns, Daggers, Jinx magic) but some of them were hard to distinguish.
  • Manned mashine guns in PvP ("would like to see") ;)
  • Shambala PvP zone might be resurrected
  • Queue up for multiple battlfields will be available in the future.
  • Animations are improved, will be more improved, ongoing process. Re-used animations/effects for abilities are temporary.
  • Sovial features are being added (sitting on chair etc.)
  • Joel drinks 2 Kilkenny beers during the stream.
  • Martin says "fuck" during the stream.
    :)

owlbeak

• Transylvania is harder on purpose, make you switch skills more often. Game turns into a flat progression there, all three zones are the same skill wise etc.
  • Fusang is undergoing a change currently. Was not meant to be zerging. Reward defending more, more missions, slower pace.
  • They didn't want to force "cookie cutter builds". Tanks have to use specific skills etc., they want more variety.
  • PvP dungeon "maybe"
  • There is some misconception about the builders. "Build less, exploit early" is the key.
  • Originally there were 15 weapons (Axes, sub-machine guns, Daggers, Jinx magic) but some of them were hard to distinguish.
  • Animations are improved, will be more improved, ongoing process. Re-used animations/effects for abilities are temporary.

[*]Joel drinks 2 Kilkenny beers during the stream.
    [*]Martin says "fuck" during the stream.
Nice haha

This one caught me off guard. Blades has/had an awful lot of "spin your sword around" abilities, and some of them got new animations in 1.1. (Notably, the elites Stunning Swirl and Art of War now have unique animations.) I still don't know how they're going to ever make Blade Torrent, Bamboo Cutter, and Forking Paths distinct.

Carcetti

I guess this is the part where I realize I've been doing it wrong.

Also finally realized that even though you don't see hats in the normal clothing stores, some questlines give nice hats, and I already have 2.

After all the fancy AA discussion I'm sorry to load a screenie of dx9, medium details type of gaming.

• PvP dungeon "maybe"

Really good stuff there. Hopefully we will get some of those changes before the August update but I wouldn't count on it. Either way, I can't wait for the next update. Sounds great!

derFeef

I guess this is the part where I realize I've been doing it wrong.

Also finally realized that even though you don't see hats in the normal clothing stores, some questlines give nice hats, and I already have 2.
Hat vendors are in the Eldwych station in London now :)

Carcetti

Noooo. Seems the theme of doing it wrong continues. Too bad I have no idea where the agartha path in Carpathians is so it's a long way to London (or back).

Nice! I wonder if you can import codes to steam for the steam achievements and such.

My key doesn't register right now. :(

I hope all the achievements are retroactive or synced in some way. I played Rusty Hearts and when they added achievements to Steam, everything unlocked retroactively so it should be possible.

I've played about 6 hours since buying the game yesterday and I must say I love it so far. It's a lot different with the other, limited, mmo experience I've had, but it feel like the story and setting is well done so far. It's got me hooked right now, and I can't wait to explore further into the lore and story.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
People happy about ingame advertising? What is this? D:

edit: Talking about the Steam shirts/hoodies ingame ;)

derFeef

People happy about ingame advertising? What is this? D:

Hm? Happy to have it on Steam.

Edit: Integrating accounts seems possible in the future, cool! (From the forums)
Thank you for contacting Funcom Customer Support.
At this time, we are currently working on the integration of existing non-steam accounts and the Steam interface. We ask that you please be patient and keep an eye out for future announcements.

Steam integration. Yummy!

It looks like Funcom is going to be revealing the first raid at Gamescon next week:

As new content continues to be added to Funcom’s Secret World MMO, next week at Gamescom they will be showing the game’s first raid instance.

The content on show will involve a giant monster crawling out of the subway system attacking a partially destroyed New York. The beast will make it’s way to Times Square which will no doubt culminate in some sort of epic battle.

We’ll check this out next week, sounds too interesting to miss.

• PvP dungeon "maybe"

Thanks for posting Feef - I'm quite excited to hear more about the next update!

Man

Funcom is disappointed with sale (currently trajecting to sell less than half of what Age of Conan did in it's first year). As a response to that they put it up on Steam. They still expect to earn more from it though than AOC since it has been cheaper to develop and to maintain. They are hopeful in that the good customer feedback will earn them a more steady (and increasing) player base over time than that of AOC.

http://p3.no/filmpolitiet/2012/08/funcom-skuffa-over-salget-til-the-secret-world/

vaelic

Banned
Funcom is disappointed with sale (currently trajecting to sell less than half of what Age of Conan did in it's first year). As a response to that they put it up on Steam. They still expect to earn more from it though than AOC since it has been cheaper to develop and to maintain. They are hopeful in that the good customer feedback will earn them a more steady (and increasing) player base over time than that of AOC.

http://p3.no/filmpolitiet/2012/08/funcom-skuffa-over-salget-til-the-secret-world/

in English

http://www.funcom.com/investors/the_secret_world_update

Development since launch
Following the launch of The Secret World on the 3rd of July 2012, Funcom's share price has decreased significantly. The company attributes this mostly to the aggregate review score, the "Metascore", for the game at MetaCritic (www.metacritic.com) together with other public sources for tracking the performance of games.
While there are very positive reviews, there are as well mixed or average reviews from various press outlets, giving an aggregated score for The Secret World of 72 out of 100, which is to be considered low, and not in line with the positive feedback received during the beta phases from both press and players. Funcom is of course disappointed with achieving such a Metascore. A game like The Secret World, which is not based on a well-known brand, is normally dependent on positive press reviews to achieve successful initial sales, in addition - but not limited - to other factors like word of mouth.

Kem0sabe

Funcom is pleased to see that gamer satisfaction is high, with user score of 8.4 out of 10 and higher on www.metacritic.com and other sites like mmorpg.com.

PR spin can only go so far, when you start advertising user scores from a site like mmorpg.com who is owned by a notorious gold farming and selling company and whose only motivation is to promote games that they have an active commercial gold farming interest in, as well as the user reviews from metacritic that are usually either populated by shills...

I respect Funcom but sometimes its too much

PR spin can only go so far, when you start advertising user scores from a site like mmorpg.com who is owned by a notorious gold farming and selling company and whose only motivation is to promote games that they have an active commercial gold farming interest in, as well as the user reviews from metacritic that are usually either populated by shills...

I respect Funcom but sometimes its too much

I think their point was that user scores and feedback has been much more positive than the overall reception from critics. It was odd that they pointed out the mmorpg.com score as a positive critic score specifically though, I guess.

I think their point was that user scores and feedback has been much more positive than the overall reception from critics. It was odd that they pointed out the mmorpg.com score as a positive critic score specifically though, I guess.

Based on what is actually written in the reviews, it's hard to imagine why it's metacritic score is so low compared to something like SWTOR. User scores are defiinitely the one to pay attention to in this case. There hasn't really been any backlash from this game either. Instead, most players are surprised how good the game is. Funcom needs to advertise, but I've said this forever about Age of Conan as well. I imagine TSW to follow the slow but steady development cycle that Age of Conan has had for the last 4 years, so for some that'll be ok (me), but for others who just consume the singleplayer content and leave the game, it won't be good.

derFeef

Critics are extra critical (heh) to new IP's and games from companies that had some "bad" stuff in the past. Plus TSW is a niche game, it appeals to a specific type of people (like harder games, like to think, not too harsh on not so great things) so it's tough for a game like this to score high.

I really don't pay attention to reviews anymore, but a lot of people still do. TSW seems to appeal to GAF in theory, but it does not work out really well, which I still do not understand.

Top Bottom