• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Secret World |OT| Everything is True

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I bought it on NYE so I could get the issue 5 thing free. I bought it on steam and ended up with a whole bunch of free items I can claim from the item store webpage. Starer weapons, a silly hat, a cat pet that boosts my dmg. Xp boost ring and drink. Good stuff.

I haven't played that much, just got to kingsmouth. I'm starting with one of the starter decks (cage something? its fists/blood magic) because it seems to line up pretty well with what I was looking to try anyway.

I need to learn more about the game, but it seems deep and customizable but im in a bit of information overload

notworksafe

edit: I'll try some of the things derFeer mentioned 50 posts earlier. I already tried SSAO/Tesselation but neither of those seemed to have any effect on fps. Maybe I should try restarting the game after changing settings or something.

Yeah if you change certain settings you have to restart the game to see the effect, so it might have been that.

Been playing a bunch lately. Finished up Kingsmouth and I've moved on to Savage Coast.

KoA8P.png

Still playing with Pistols/Blades and I'm using the Maverick deck right now. Not sure if I want to work on Paladin or Crusader next. Both look pretty fun. Mainly I want to stick with pistols so if anyone knows any good decks using them, let me know.

Finally got the chat channel set up too so I'll be in there if anyone is around. :)

Tried healing The Darkness War and we couldn't get past boss #2. Not sure if it was me or the tank or both but he would take like 25% dmg per hit and my heals are only like 1-300 base (~552 heal rating). Maybe I just specced wrong but don't really have much else I could throw at him as fist/pistol. Had constant 3 stacks of cauterize, surgical steel on 5 res, empathy for spikes, vigour for aoe heals and spikes.

Passives I had the on hot crit insta +100 heal as well as more effective hots and what not.

Nopren

Is there a place where you can see what investigation missions you still need to do? The mission tabs in the achievements window only seem to keep track of action, sabotage and dungeon missions.

Can't login into the game anymore, keeps saying my account password is wrong, and the site password recovery does nothing at all. Course live chat support is down now too so yay...

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
There's something about this game that compels me in the same way that Oblivion and Fallout did, a lot of the writing reminds me of the best FO3 missions...it could really stand on its own offline if it wanted. The world building they do with those beautiful quest illustrations really go a long way, I love finding them.

I'm wondering why my equipment always needs to be repaired so often, I'm not doing anything wrong, am I? Also curious if my Enforcer deck (shotgun/chaos) is something that I could stick with for the long haul, since I really like it but it's labelled 'starter'...

derFeef

Yeah the world is fantastic. I just finished the whole main story line, great stuff!

Regaring repairing - as you die your equipment loses durability. I think it's 10 per death and 100 is max.

Can't login into the game anymore, keeps saying my account password is wrong, and the site password recovery does nothing at all. Course live chat support is down now too so yay...

have you resolved the issue? maybe there was maintanance.

Wired

A question about where to spend SP. Currently I'm sitting on 35 SP, I am however unsure on how to spend them. I have lv4 in all talismans, assault rifle, and elemental.

Should I spread out the SP over all those OR would I be better served to putting them all into either Major or Minor Talismans (since I have QL10 sets for either of those)

I recently arrived at the Savage Coast if that matters

Nopren

I would say just spread them out over all of them. That way you will be able to use your quest rewards, and the drops from dungeons.

derFeef

Putting them into the talismans is a good idea anyway since there are some passive buffs. But you should keep your eye on the weapons too, if you glance a lot your QL is too low for those mobs.

Torraz

Damn my indiciciveness. Couldn't play due to a surprise flu I caught. I'm at the place where you have to choose a weapon. Can't really decide between assault rifle / blood magic / elemental magic and possibly shotgun :(.

The one thing I have found out is that I prefer ranged weaponry.

Also, I thought the tutorial movie said I could take two weapons at once, but when I try to take a second weapon the first one is taken away?

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I'm through with all the Kingsmouth missions and moving to Savage Bay, and still haven't bothered with crafting/assembling anything. Is it just a way to add a rune to your items?

Nopren

If you prefer ranged then don't take shotgun, it has bonus damage the closer you are to your target. And yes, you only get to pick one weapon in the beginning, but you can buy or pickup a second weapon as soon as you start questing.

Mithos

Gold Member
I'm through with all the Kingsmouth missions and moving to Savage Bay, and still haven't bothered with crafting/assembling anything. Is it just a way to add a rune to your items?

To craft runes, add runes to talismans/weapons, craft talismans/pots/weapons etc.

I played for 3 weeks before I even started to look into crafting and all I'm doing atm are making better runes with the craft system and/or adding runes to my gear.

Torraz

If you prefer ranged then don't take shotgun, it has bonus damage the closer you are to your target. And yes, you only get to pick one weapon in the beginning, but you can buy or pickup a second weapon as soon as you start questing.

Ah alright. Thanks. I will probably go with assault rifle then. The big question is whether to supplement is with blood magic or elemental magic (for soloing).

Miletius

Ah alright. Thanks. I will probably go with assault rifle then. The big question is whether to supplement is with blood magic or elemental magic (for soloing).

I like elemental, but I'm not very far into the game. It has a lot of dots and direct damage, and gets an AoE spell pretty early too. I think blood has a healing support, so it's not as useful to you since AR is also a healing support.

jerd

So I just bought this the other day on the Amazon sale and have now got around to starting it and everything, but I've come into the game completely blind. It is my first MMO and I really didn't look into it too much outside of a few gameplay videos, but I found the setting really interesting so I decided to dive in. I'm enjoying it so far, but would appreciate any info that I might need to know before getting too far in as I'm kind of just feeling my way through it blindly right now. Also, is there some sort of custom GAF chat channel or something? It would be nice to be able to contact gaffers in game for some help. Thanks in advance.

Fewr

I bought the game recently and noticed today that I just missed the free DLC. The item shop now shows it is 600 pts. boo!

I used to play FFXI, and got to lv30 before deciding to quit because it would take me too long to accomplish anything (losing xp when defeated, then not being able to wear equipment because you just lost a level is the worst penalty in the world). I haven[t played this game much (my computer died during the first mission, and I'm currently fixing it), but I was wondering if anyone here at GAF has the Grand Master Key or is planning to get one.

I am a very casual gamer, I would only be playing this 3-5 hours per week, so I'm thinking about just buying the key to get some extra xp along with not having to buy any DLC ever, and the extra "free" allowance I would get for cosmetic items.

I am concerned I won't get my investment back because of the current competitive environment of the genre, although having EA behind them could mean the game will have plenty of support.

Opinions on Grand Master Key?

I bought the game recently and noticed today that I just missed the free DLC. The item shop now shows it is 600 pts. boo!

I used to play FFXI, and got to lv30 before deciding to quit because it would take me too long to accomplish anything (losing xp when defeated, then not being able to wear equipment because you just lost a level is the worst penalty in the world). I haven[t played this game much (my computer died during the first mission, and I'm currently fixing it), but I was wondering if anyone here at GAF has the Grand Master Key or is planning to get one.

I am a very casual gamer, I would only be playing this 3-5 hours per week, so I'm thinking about just buying the key to get some extra xp along with not having to buy any DLC ever, and the extra "free" allowance I would get for cosmetic items.

I am concerned I won't get my investment back because of the current competitive environment of the genre, although having EA behind them could mean the game will have plenty of support.

Opinions on Grand Master Key?

I would say it's only for the hardcore. Probably best to wait and see what the release schedule is like before committing to Grandmaster.

Dunlop

This game was hard to come into "cold" but looking past the somewhat dated UI it has an amazing storyline and fun gameplay...I just couldn't convince some of my old MMO buddies to get on board (cheap bastards :p )

I'll be ping ponging between this and TERA to get my MMO fix

This game was hard to come into "cold" but looking past the somewhat dated UI it has an amazing storyline and fun gameplay...I just couldn't convince some of my old MMO buddies to get on board (cheap bastards :p )

I'll be ping ponging between this and TERA to get my MMO fix

What makes the UI dated? I thought it was pretty sleek upon first viewing it.

hamchan

So, how many people here do all the puzzles properly? Because some of these seem way too hard or time consuming, so I just cheat and look at a guide because I want to see the story.

derFeef

So because of exploits they are giving away the title and pet for the End of Days event to everyone who participated... ;) Also it ended, good news for new players.

So, how many people here do all the puzzles properly? Because some of these seem way too hard or time consuming, so I just cheat and look at a guide because I want to see the story.

I would say most of them I can do without (internet) help. Some I am asking a TSW buddy and he is giving me hints so that I don't feel like cheating :)

Basically if I am stuck, I just do something else and sometimes the solution comes to my mind eventually. A lot of puzzles need knowledge about the lore so skipping story stuff might not be a good idea.

Nopren

When I've figured out what mechanic or method they want me to use in the investigation missions, I usually just look up the answer instead of messing about with morse code translators and whatnot.

Fewr

I finally fixed my computer and got to play this. I have done 30 missions so far, and here is my opinion about the game:

I like the game a lot, the only comparisons I can make are against FFXI. The biggest difference is that my character is not useless at all, I can explore at a much faster pace killing random mobs here and there, and the death penalty is nothing compared to FFXI.

I don't like online gaming in general, so to see this is a single player mmo most of the time is cool (again, total opposite of FFXI). The dialogues are cool, the abilities are good. Crafting is a bit confusing, but I think I'm slowly learning how it works (why are there some pieces of equipment I can't disassemble?).

Levelling is fast and not tedious at all, I do a few missions and then suddenly I notice I've got a few AP points to spend. I like the ability templates you are given as a rough guide of what to choose, but I find the whole SP points confusing, I'm just saving them for when equipment says I need a certain level of a certain category in order to wear it.

Regarding investigation quests, I get very confused because I never know when I have to look for stuff inside and when outside the game. I like the secret world wiki because it gives hints little by little instead of just giving out the answer. I would like the game to give me hints too, they should ask for those mission complete tokens or some other new special tokens in return. Here is an example of the hints given out by the wiki http://secretworld.wikia.com/wiki/Something_Wicked

I'm still undecided about the Grand Master Key, I reckon I'll give in and buy it in a week or two because even after considering they would charge me in euros, once I convert it to my home currency (MXN) I would be paying for 3 full retail price Xbox games which isn't too bad considering the amount of content this thing has.

One point where I feel this thing is inferior to FFXI is the chat, this could be because I've been soloing. How do I send a tell to a random person nearby? (e.g. a thanks) do I just click on them and start typing as in FFXI?

My in-game character is called Skeldale so feel free to add me as friend (I would add you, but I would need to learn how to add friends first lol).

JambiBum

So I just picked this up for free thanks to a reward for participating in a focus group for a new game. I'm on my way to kingsmouth now. Joined the secret gaf steam group and chat channel already and I'm wondering if there's anything that I should know as a new player.

I like the game so far except for the UI. I don't really like the color scheme and the text seems small for my 42in tv. I also don't like the whole white text on a grey background thing. Other than the UI though the game is pretty enjoyable.

So I just picked this up for free thanks to a reward for participating in a focus group for a new game. I'm on my way to kingsmouth now. Joined the secret gaf steam group and chat channel already and I'm wondering if there's anything that I should know as a new player.

I like the game so far except for the UI. I don't really like the color scheme and the text seems small for my 42in tv. I also don't like the whole white text on a grey background thing. Other than the UI though the game is pretty enjoyable.

Entire UI scales. Make it bigger.

mattiewheels

Entire UI scales. Make it bigger.
Except for the mission journal, I know this well since I play on a tv, too. Is there any way to scale it?

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Oh well, bought it. Burned out of GW2, playing some single player games and in need of a MMO I can just fire up every now and then, I guess everyone knows that feeling :)

Server visits and stuff probably aren't possible, so I wouldn't have to bother about a GAF server, right?

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Server visits are possible, so it does not really matter where you create your character :)

Ooh, nice :) That's good to know! Anything I should do regarding faction choice and stuff?

I love this game to bits but they really need to fix the goddamn patcher.

Every patch I have to waste an hour or so patching, then repairing RDB, redownloading files and looping until I have a functional game, and looking at the forums I'm not alone.

I have two installs, with completely different hardware on two different operating systems (win 7 + 8) one from discs and one Internet install, tried from two different ISPs and both have the same problem.

I just want to play the game!

derFeef

Ooh, nice :) That's good to know! Anything I should do regarding faction choice and stuff?

nah, choose what you like. I think Templars are the most active here, but it does not have any meaning at all since we are not many people active playing this. Faction choice is only story (faction missions are different) and pvp relevant.

notworksafe

What's everyone's chronicle page? here is mine:
http://chronicle.thesecretworld.com/character/Skeldale

As you can see, I dont' care yet about seriously committing to any one kind of build yet. For now, I just want all the outfits from the starter decks.

Here's mine http://chronicle.thesecretworld.com/character/NachoPal

Working on making a Crusader right now, then I'll keep working on decks to get all the outfits.

Is there an official guild or anything? Don't know how helpful I'd be in groups, but it would be nice to have people to chat with...

What's everyone's chronicle page? here is mine:
http://chronicle.thesecretworld.com/character/Skeldale

As you can see, I dont' care yet about seriously committing to any one kind of build yet. For now, I just want all the outfits from the starter decks.

http://chronicle.thesecretworld.com/character/Kazehaya

Is there an official guild or anything? Don't know how helpful I'd be in groups, but it would be nice to have people to chat with...

I see that you're a Templar! I'll add you to my friends list and send an invite whenever I can catch you online. Also, if you follow the directions Feef posted it auto-joins you into a global GAF chat channel:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=45587327&postcount=2129

Top Bottom