• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Secret World |OT| Everything is True

I just bought the Secret World a few days ago and probably already played about 20 hours. I'm usually not a big MMO player so I'm really surprised by how much I like this game. The Kingsmouth area was a lot of fun and I love the whole sea monster beach invasion and zombies combination. The characters and voice over are really good at setting the mood and providing some well-written comedy relief.

However, I've now advanced to the Savage Coast and proceeded with the story quest a bit. I have to say, this is getting quite oppressive and the enemy and sound design are getting better and better. Soloing in that area when not a lot of other players are around almost evokes survival horror feelings.

Game crashes on me every 20 minutes or so. Really aggravating

Anyone had any experience with this? It looks like the game minimizes and there's no way to get it back up

Had my first bad group tonight. Popped in to do a quick Hell Risen, first fight people stood in the pylons, ran counterclockwise, and it took forever. I inspect the group, two people in full tank gear, main tank has some QL2 gear. "dps" were in like QL 1-3.

It wasn't as bad as it could be, we only had 1 death from the guy that liked to stand in fire but some fights were scary. 2nd to last boss we had everyone at like 20% from the add aoes going off in final phase. Last boss took like 10 min.

I'm having tons of fun with TSW for the past two days. I just finished the Maverick deck and I'm trying to get the Templar deck finished. Right now I just get so excited when I see my AP count rise when doing an Investigation mission. The amount you get is just insane when you're starting out.

Danj

About that offer where if you buy it before the 31st you get extra content or something - how does that work? If I buy it on Steam, does Steam handle it automatically? Do you just have to register your purchased key on their website? Or do you actually have to download the game and start playing? Just asking because I'm at my parents' house and the internet here is pretty slow in comparison.

derFeef

About that offer where if you buy it before the 31st you get extra content or something - how does that work? If I buy it on Steam, does Steam handle it automatically? Do you just have to register your purchased key on their website? Or do you actually have to download the game and start playing? Just asking because I'm at my parents' house and the internet here is pretty slow in comparison.

If you buy it on Steam it's just launching the client patcher/launcher there where it updates the game before you can launch it. I am not sure if Steam downloads the most recent client but I guess not, maybe someone can clarify that for us who has it on Steam.

Danj

If you buy it on Steam it's just launching the client patcher/launcher there where it updates the game before you can launch it. I am not sure if Steam downloads the most recent client but I guess not, maybe someone can clarify that for us who has it on Steam.

When you buy the game (from wherever) do you get a key that you have to register on their website or anything like that?

derFeef

When you buy the game (from wherever) do you get a key that you have to register on their website or anything like that?

Yeah you need to make an account on their website, like with any mmo. But you can already download or update the client without logging in, that only comes after launching it for real.

edit: Just finished (and recorded the last part of) the Tyler Freeborn mission. So good - it felt like Silent Hill, and Alan Wake... oO
My video will not be up soon (thanks slow internet), but I am really impressed by that mission.

Torraz

Any difference if you buy it on US or EU steam, like server selection? If not I may need to get the game gifted from a US GAFfer for some savings.

Mithos

Gold Member
edit: Just finished (and recorded the last part of) the Tyler Freeborn mission. So good - it felt like Silent Hill, and Alan Wake... oO
My video will not be up soon (thanks slow internet), but I am really impressed by that mission.

I get DESTROYED in the last part of that questline, on the 2 first enemies that come together with kitties, are you looking for me? ;p

To weak so far, maybe I need 10.x gear (pink) only have the mayan weapons and ql10 talis from mayans.

derFeef

I get DESTROYED in the last part of that questline, on the 2 first enemies that come together with kitties, are you looking for me? ;p

To weak so far, maybe I need 10.x gear (pink) only have the mayan weapons and ql10 talis from mayans.

Yah it's pretty difficult, could only get through this with potions. But I am lvl10 mostly too, nothing really that good. Loved the Kitties... poor Andy.
I can help later, I'm Feef in game.

edit: Made a Steam group! Join us! http://steamcommunity.com/groups/SecretGAF

notworksafe

Picked this up and I'm really enjoying it. Still exploring Kingsmouth and using sword/pistols. Being able to take out large groups seems to be the way to go in this game, at least so far.

I'm NachoPal on Cerberus if anyone wants to say hi. I'm also in the gaf chat channel usually too.

gilljoy

Is it still possible to get a trial for this? Thinking about picking this up because it looks pretty cool and a modern mmo would be different

Gav47

I want to pick this up on Steam but I won't have it downloaded before the 31st to get the extra content. Can you register the game before downloading it to get the 5th dlc and other stuff?

notworksafe

I want to pick this up on Steam but I won't have it downloaded before the 31st to get the extra content. Can you register the game before downloading it to get the 5th dlc and other stuff?

Steam gives you a CD key so you should be able to register that on the TSW website.

Torraz

Input the code I got from steam into the TSW website and made my account.

I read that I have to claim my bonus stuff on the website before the end of the year? Where do I do this? The only special offers I see are the grandmaster pack and the pre-order pack.

Miletius

Input the code I got from steam into the TSW website and made my account.

I read that I have to claim my bonus stuff on the website before the end of the year? Where do I do this? The only special offers I see are the grandmaster pack and the pre-order pack.

You have to claim it on the store tab, I think. If you login to the website one of the tabs should be the store, and you can send the items to your account/character.

Torraz

You have to claim it on the store tab, I think. If you login to the website one of the tabs should be the store, and you can send the items to your account/character.

Odd. In the ad on the website it says if you buy in december you get the initiate pack which includes a raven, a jacket and a set of weaponry. I can see those in my account, but nothing happens if I click on them. Hmm.

derFeef

Odd. In the ad on the website it says if you buy in december you get the initiate pack which includes a raven, a jacket and a set of weaponry. I can see those in my account, but nothing happens if I click on them. Hmm.

You need a character to claim them, but those will be always there from now on.

gilljoy

Ahh Sod it, its my birthday on Wednesday so I'll be getting birthday money so I'll pick this up.

Any particular servers that are good for beginners?

Zeal

Banned
Guys, I'm looking for a new MMO to hold my interest and I noticed this has dropped to about 20 bones on Amazon. Is it worth playing? The beta was janky as hell, but the latest trailer makes some of the zones and enemies look awesome. As a longtime MMO veteran, playing everything from WoW to EVE, GW2 and the like, would this be something I could get into? Does the game even have an active community at this point? I don't want to go right into a dying MMO.

I'll take GAF's word for it.

derFeef

Guys, I'm looking for a new MMO to hold my interest and I noticed this has dropped to about 20 bones on Amazon. Is it worth playing? The beta was janky as hell, but the latest trailer makes some of the zones and enemies look awesome. As a longtime MMO veteran, playing everything from WoW to EVE, GW2 and the like, would this be something I could get into? Does the game even have an active community at this point? I don't want to go right into a dying MMO.

I'll take GAF's word for it.

It still has jank, but has improved much since beta for sure. Enemies, areas, atmosphere, story and mission design stand out here. There are more people after it has gone B2P for sure, I am not sure we can get a lively GAF community going (I would love to), but if you do not mind playing with randoms in dungeons you will not have a problem I think.

Also it's certainly not dying, and even then you can play it as an action rpg with an awesome story.

Zeal

Banned
It still has jank, but has improved much since beta for sure. Enemies, areas, atmosphere, story and mission design stand out here. There are more people after it has gone B2P for sure, I am not sure we can get a lively GAF community going (I would love to), but if you do not mind playing with randoms in dungeons you will not have a problem I think.

Also it's certainly not dying, and even then you can play it as an action rpg with an awesome story.

Thanks for the impressions. For a 20 dollar buy to play forever, I'd say this is worth it. I'm gonna grab it right now.

Also, I've always been a somewhat casual fan of Lovecraft mythology and games (Call of Cthulhu, Eternal Darkness, etc.) so that immediately grabbed me from the trailer. It doesn't hurt either that I'm a sort of conspiracy nut too, even knowing most aren't true, but that's what makes stuff like this so appealing and fun. Also dig ARGs made around shit like this. I'll give it a go.

Dunlop

Outside of spending points on the second tier for my healing build (pistol, fist) I have been trying to get out all the first tier abilities of the different weapons to try them out

So far have

Blade
Blood
Pistol
Fist

Thinking it is not the best strat as the mobs are getting hard for me to kill in Blue mountain.

Any recommendations on a good DPS spec that I should use when levelling?

derFeef

Outside of spending points on the second tier for my healing build (pistol, fist) I have been trying to get out all the first tier abilities of the different weapons to try them out

So far have

Blade
Blood
Pistol
Fist

Thinking it is not the best strat as the mobs are getting hard for me to kill in Blue mountain.

Any recommendations on a good DPS spec that I should use when levelling?

Easiest for me was Fist/Chaos, but certainly not the most fun since I am not a close combat guy. Chaos is pretty cool tough.

Fist and Blade can make a great dmg/selfheal build if you have those first skills. I am on right now for a bit if you need help btw. :) Feef ingame.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
Man this game really fails to explain some things. I don't get the mission structure at all. How do I know what quests are appropriate for early on?

derFeef

Man this game really fails to explain some things. I don't get the mission structure at all. How do I know what quests are appropriate for early on?

There is a rating if you pick up the missions ranging from "Very easy" to "Very hard". For action missions (the red ones) it's solely based on combat difficulty, but don't hold me on that one.

lBxgt.png

I am also currently making a short guide to remove some of the "mmo jank" for those who want that.

Anyone looking to pick this up its 50% off on gamersgate

Hm, not seeing it?

kami_sama

Anyone from the USA here? I want to buy TSW on steam, but I've been waiting on a 50% off sale. But I want the extra items, so I'll have to buy it today.
Is anyone willing to gift me the game on steam? Will paypal as soon as possible.

tldr; Someone from USA to buy the game on steam?

gilljoy

Anyone from the USA here? I want to buy TSW on steam, but I've been waiting on a 50% off sale. But I want the extra items, so I'll have to buy it today.
Is anyone willing to gift me the game on steam? Will paypal as soon as possible.

tldr; Someone from USA to buy the game on steam?

Why dont you buy from gamersgate.co.uk. you can use paypal. I'm not sure if theirs any region restrictions though

kami_sama

Why dont you buy from gamersgate.co.uk. you can use paypal. I'm not sure if theirs any region restrictions though
If I buy it from gamersgate, I pay 15 euros. If someone from USA gifts me the game, I'll pay 17 euros, I think that those 2 euros of difference are worth if I get the game on my steam library.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Would anyone happen to have a 24hour trial code? I'd really like to see what this is like.

derFeef

If I buy it from gamersgate, I pay 15 euros. If someone from USA gifts me the game, I'll pay 17 euros, I think that those 2 euros of difference are worth if I get the game on my steam library.

I would also prefer it that way. I personally can wait until the end of sale, but you guys are under pressure it seems. I still don't know what the exact items are besides the 5$ worth of Issue #5, though.

Would anyone happen to have a 24hour trial code? I'd really like to see what this is like.

Okay I just checked I have FOUR buddy keys left, one goes to you - just PM me your e-mail adress.

I need to send the poster above a PM - I apologize I did not know I have so many left...

Torraz

Alright, download finished etc.

Any big difference with regard to factions?

Where can I read up on skills/builds? I'd like something that can solo decently.

I got help from "I H8 Memes" in the "international dd gifting help" thread and got it from US steam.

derFeef

Alright, download finished etc.

Any big difference with regard to factions?

Where can I read up on skills/builds? I'd like something that can solo decently.

I got help from "I H8 Memes" in the "international dd gifting help" thread and got it from US steam.

Check http://unfair.co/ - they have also great mission guides (with spoilers) if you happen to be stuck.
Generally, pick the faction that speaks to you in the videos and you like the outfits the most.
If you have your character look into the starter decks for a general guidance of how skills can work together.

Torraz

Check http://unfair.co/ - they have also great mission guides (with spoilers) if you happen to be stuck.
Generally, pick the faction that speaks to you in the videos and you like the outfits the most.
If you have your character look into the starter decks for a general guidance of how skills can work together.

Thanks. I see a ton of solo builds. Would you recommend any specific type for a beginner?

:edit: Most seem ranged, but the blade/fist build seems to get decent reviews. I usually play ranged, so perhaps a change of pace? Hmm.

derFeef

Thanks. I see a ton of solo builds. Would you recommend any specific type for a beginner?

I like all ranged weapons the most, so I can't really recommend anything. During the tutorial you get into an area where you can try out basic skills of all weapons for free. Take your time and see what's the most fun for you. Just note that it's really easy to learn a new weapon later, you are not stuck with anything in this game besides the faction.

Torraz

I like all ranged weapons the most, so I can't really recommend anything. During the tutorial you get into an area where you can try out basic skills of all weapons for free. Take your time and see what's the most fun for you. Just note that it's really easy to learn a new weapon later, you are not stuck with anything in this game besides the faction.

Cool, thanks for the info.

Top Bottom