• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Secret World |OT| Everything is True

I'm pretty new (to MMOs even) so I'm still learning.

Pretty fun so far, I can see how these games get so addictive. I love the world design and story, and Kingsmouth basically being a big Stephen King homage is cool.

Am I doing combat wrong by constantly circle-strafing? My shooter instincts kick in so I feel the need to, but it takes some dexterity to do that while hitting the active keys as well and I basically can't hit 1 or 2 at all. Watching other people, it seems common to just stand in front of the enemy spamming actives and occasionally dodging but that just feels....wrong to me. Is that way we're supposed to do it?

derFeef

Circle-strafing is good, it makes you get less dmg since the enemy is forced into turning/renew the animation. I think a dev said moving in combat can make you take 25% less dmg.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Pretty fun so far, I can see how these games get so addictive. I love the world design and story, and Kingsmouth basically being a big Stephen King homage is cool.
Yeah, it's great. Its actually a double reference to King novels and HP Lovecraft's Cthuluh mythos (New England towns like Innsmouth, etc), since King was basically the latter day Lovecraft anyway.

derFeef

I switched to using a controller setup with this game and combat is much more fun now. Might someone in the GAF Illuminati Cabal please send me an invite? My nick is LDJ.

I made a simplier version with that for the crosshair mode, which is even better now since the "mode" switches itself. press back - aim mode with crosshair, press back again, controller works as a mouse with a few shortcuts.

Fewr

Should I bother playing this if my internet is bad.
My account says I've got 5 keys to try the game for 24hrs. PM me if you're interested. I think the game is about 38-40 gigs. I hope they let you download it all before activating the 24hrs lol. Like I said, let me know if you're interested.
Invite a friend to join you in the Secret World.

5 Keys Remaining

Buddy keys allow any friend of yours to try the game for free for 24 hours. Your buddy will receive an e-mail with a key and instructions on how to get into the game.

Thank you for helping us spread the word of our game!

Also,
http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/0...king-on-account-wide-shop-unlocks-and-a-vete/
The Secret World working on account-wide shop unlocks and a veteran system
by Eliot Lefebvre on Jan 22nd 2013 2:30PM

Cash shops can be the bane of an altoholic, but The Secret World is aiming to ensure that your alts get all of the benefits your main already enjoys. Starting today, pets you unlock via the store will be unlocked for your account rather than one character, with the development team planning to move this functionality to outfits as well. That means that if you buy some cosmetic frippery once, it's yours forever on all your characters.

The game is also going to be putting together a veteran rewards program for subscribers. Each month of subscription provides Veteran Points, awarded at the same time that the subscription awards bonus cash shop points. Veterans can then spend the points on a variety of items, including new consumables, outfits, pets, and training dummies. It's always nice to have some extra benefits to being a long-term fan of a game, so if you're already enjoying deciphering conspiracy, there's extra incentive to keep at it.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
I made a simplier version with that for the crosshair mode, which is even better now since the "mode" switches itself. press back - aim mode with crosshair, press back again, controller works as a mouse with a few shortcuts.

heh, I've never successfully used crosshair mode. I always end up switching by mistake and then having to switch back once I figure out what I've done.

Finished the templar rank 2 ending mission last night, very cool and well done. Also finished my first starter deck, Maverick, and instantly had Highway to the Dangerzone from Top gun stuck in my head!

TokiDoki

I bought mine not far from the launch date when there was still subscription . I never play MMO , so I'm not really an MMO guy but I bought it just out of curiosity and to satisfy my dark fantasy mood . Thought of just playing it for a month where it was free with the purchase and probably won't be bothered to re-new after that . I did play it for good few days , the world is quite atmospheric , the story is good and stuff . However , those fetch x items side quests and enemies took blow after blow to fall really put me off , but I guess hey, that's the nature of MMO which like I said , not really for a non-MMO guy like me .

Then now because it is free to play already , I might dip in it again and see if I can progress much further . You guys reckon it would be better playing off with a party ? I did solo all the while .

I bought mine not far from the launch date when there was still subscription . I never play MMO , so I'm not really an MMO guy but I bought it just out of curiosity and to satisfy my dark fantasy mood . Thought of just playing it for a month where it was free with the purchase and probably won't be bothered to re-new after that . I did play it for good few days , the world is quite atmospheric , the story is good and stuff . However , those fetch x items side quests and enemies took blow after blow to fall really put me off , but I guess hey, that's the nature of MMO which like I said , not really for a non-MMO guy like me .

Then now because it is free to play already , I might dip in it again and see if I can progress much further . You guys reckon it would be better playing off with a party ? I did solo all the while .

MMOs are always better with a party. It's kind of the point. Aside from the social aspects, you will definitely have a much easier time taking down quest mobs if you group up. Unfortunately, most modern MMOs are very friendly to solo players and so most people don't bother forming random groups anymore. If you don't know anyone that plays the game or have a decent community of players around it (like the GAF guild), games like this can get very lonely and frustrating.

TokiDoki

Yeah , maybe I'll try joining some party , is the GAF community still active ? I don't have any real life friends playing this though unfortunately :(

I remembered playing till the college surrounded by monsters . Oh and guess what , 15GB download ughh shouldn't have delete the client last time .

aasoncott

Does anyone know if there are any deals on this right now? It looks like I just missed sales on both Amazon and Origin. My wife and I would love to play, but $60 for two accounts it a little too much for us right now. I now we can cut that down to $48 through GMG, but the fact that we missed the $10 sale on Origin is stinging.

Does anyone know if there are any deals on this right now? It looks like I just missed sales on both Amazon and Origin. My wife and I would love to play, but $60 for two accounts it a little too much for us right now. I now we can cut that down to $48 through GMG, but the fact that we missed the $10 sale on Origin is stinging.

It'll be $17.99 again on the 31st at amazon

I tend to play in spurts but I'm also always willing to log on whenever, if something is planned in advance.

If you're a Templar, the Templar GAF cabal is probably the most active out of the bunch.

Wolfwood0

Neo Member
I tend to play in spurts but I'm also always willing to log on whenever, if something is planned in advance.

If you're a Templar, the Templar GAF cabal is probably the most active out of the bunch.

I'm guessing cabals are like guilds and faction specific? No biggie ill make a new character.

Carcetti

I really want to jump in back to this game, at least for a few runs/missions but it's pretty hard to come back and try to find out what to do.

So if you guys manage some sort of outing for that templar gaf guild, I'll try to hop in too.

I've been playing for a bit now (still running around Kingsmouth doing various missions) and feel like I don't really understand certain things, so apologies for a few short questions that likely necessitate long answers:

1. How is progression supposed to work? So far I get AP/SP points (and I've been holding off on using SP some as I work on the blood/elementalist deck but I think Blood will be my primary) and how they work within a somewhat typical progression system, but I really don't understand what I should be doing to be able to venture further and fight tougher monsters. In particular, I really don't understand how I should be progressing with gear in any way aside from the somewhat confusing crafting system (which seems more difficult than it should be).

2. this ties back to 1 a bit but is there something in the game that more directly indicates to the player "don't go here/fight this"? I played EQ/WoW back in the day so those trained me to identify what the developers wanted me to do at certain times, and from playing GW2 now this largely still seems to be common, but TSW seems to be extremely arcane on how to avoid walking into instant doom. The game seems to kinda conform to the traditional WoW quest structure, and the quests themselves do indicate difficulty (which doesn't always seem accurate), but it still feels random and I don't get a sense of when I should be heading out (eg WoW changing quest text color).

3. I'm Illuminati, but since arriving at Kingsmouth I have not gone back to NYC for anything. The game hasn't indicated that I necessarily need to, but am I missing out on some critical element of the PvE game?

I've been playing for a bit now (still running around Kingsmouth doing various missions) and feel like I don't really understand certain things, so apologies for a few short questions that likely necessitate long answers:

1. How is progression supposed to work? So far I get AP/SP points (and I've been holding off on using SP some as I work on the blood/elementalist deck but I think Blood will be my primary) and how they work within a somewhat typical progression system, but I really don't understand what I should be doing to be able to venture further and fight tougher monsters. In particular, I really don't understand how I should be progressing with gear in any way aside from the somewhat confusing crafting system (which seems more difficult than it should be).

2. this ties back to 1 a bit but is there something in the game that more directly indicates to the player "don't go here/fight this"? I played EQ/WoW back in the day so those trained me to identify what the developers wanted me to do at certain times, and from playing GW2 now this largely still seems to be common, but TSW seems to be extremely arcane on how to avoid walking into instant doom. The game seems to kinda conform to the traditional WoW quest structure, and the quests themselves do indicate difficulty (which doesn't always seem accurate), but it still feels random and I don't get a sense of when I should be heading out (eg WoW changing quest text color).

3. I'm Illuminati, but since arriving at Kingsmouth I have not gone back to NYC for anything. The game hasn't indicated that I necessarily need to, but am I missing out on some critical element of the PvE game?

1. Look at AP points as your "levels", in that they give you more abilities - that you can then combine into new combinations. The SP points are the other part of the equation, and simply allow you to wield more powerful weapons as well as talismans (which is your gear). You'll often hear that you need "QL3/5/7/9 required", and those basically correspond to the overall level of the talismans you have - ranging from QL1 (requiring one SP point spent in that group of talismans/weapon) to QL9 (Requiring nine tiers of SP spent, which I think is 100SP or something all in all). In Kingsmouth, you want 3-4ish QL weapons/talismans, in the Savage Coast it's 5ish QL (and I dunno about blue mountain).

2. Not really, though one tips is to not enter areas which the main story quest haven't yet directed you to. Each quest hub NPC kinda have their own independant storyline that ties into the overall game story, but there's really no particular order you need them done aside from jumping in-between the zones (some quests in Savage coasts require you to have done some quests in Kingsmouth for an example).

3. Nope, it will clearly indicate to you when you need to leave Kingsmouth.

Fewr

I read somewhere the following:

1. The intended progression is to pick any one quest (or a few) and finish it, then after that you just look around and you should see another quest to start nearby. If you follow that process, you will eventually go back to where you started. I think it was even mentioned that you will always find a new quest in a 50ft radius around you. If I find the place where I read it, I'll link.
EDIT: This is all I could find http://forums.thesecretworld.com/showthread.php?t=46090

2. The difficulty level that the quests indicate depends on the quality level (QL) of your equipment. I haven't tried taking everything off or wearing QL0 only to check though.
EDIT: here http://blackrabbit2999.blogspot.com/2012/07/secret-world-player-strength-vs.html
(don't know how reliable the source is)
Mission Difficulty Indicators

Mission difficulty is shown when you click on a quest starter "tablet" or "chiklet" to examine the details about the quest. You'll see indicators like "Hard", "Very Hard", "Daunting", etc.

This "mission conning" system works exactly the same way as the monster conning, except with suggestive text labels rather than color coding. For example, if you're in a group with 2 other people and the three of you examine a new quest starter, two of you might see "Very Hard" if you're both wearing a majority of QL2 gear, while the third person might see "Daunting" if they are still wearing all rank QL0 gear.

3. The monsters you fight, when selected show different font colours and symbols that should indicate whether you can fight it, or whether you should run. All I remember right now is that three dots indicate it is a group enemy (the zombies that come after you in a group), and I think red means aggro if you get close. I'm sure there should be a more detailed explanation somewhere.
EDIT: (same source as before)
Monster difficulty conning indicators

TSW uses two conning indicators to show the relative strenght of any given monster versus yourself: the symbol at the left of the mobs name, and the *color* of that symbol. Note that the red or yellow text for the monster's *name* is NOT a difficulty indicator. A red name indicates a stronger/wider "aggro range" for such mobs.

Conning Symbol Colors: range in a spectrum from green > blue > white > yellow > orange > red. White means "roughly same strength as you are". Green and blue are weaker than you are, and yellow > orange > red are stronger than you are. If you pay attention while you progress in Kingsmouth, you'll notice that a lot of mobs that were formerly orange turn yellow eventually as you start equipping more QL1 and QL2 gear items, and certainly you'll see differences by the time you are wearing mostly QL3 gear. (What seems like yellow at first is actually orange; it's a subtle difference.)

Conning Symbol Shapes: three small dots, one large dot, one or more skulls, crown, flag.

Three small dots means a "weenie swarm". Pull one and it *will* bring friends.

One large dot means a single non-swarming "normal" monster. Social aggro does happen, so if you pull a single dot that is close to another single dot, chances are good that both of them will aggro you.

Skulls indicate what other games call "elites", "lieutenants", or "minibosses". The number of skulls indicates just how nasty they are.

Crown indicates a unique named mob, usually the target of at least one specific mission teir. These are usually also "elites" in terms of strength.

Flag is what happens to a Crowned mob when your current active quest has that unique named mob as an objective for the current teir of that quest.

4. I too think crafting is unnecessarily difficult, especially for me since I haven't yet determined the path I want to follow.

derFeef

Just finished my first two decks - Soldier and Crusader - at once ;)
I never aimed for decks as I just equipped what I found works best and I also do not find those decks that much fun to play. Currently rolling with Assault Rifle and Hammer, which is quite fun.

also new headdress for subs or lifetimers ;)

8439965107_16da930771_b.jpg

Effect

Very cool. Here's hoping they'll add stuff like this for us to buy instead of the usual clothing.

I do like that I can jump in and out of the game and play at will as I really don't have much time to play. In the last few weeks I've played maybe a day or two. However when I did I spent a few hours in the a game each time. Didn't make much progress but was just messing around. I would be forcing myself to play if I was still subbed. However I do feel a bit "guilty" not paying so I would like to see more interesting stuff added to the item shop.

I've now opened my third starter deck, Maverick, polariser and Champion. Champion seems more of a tank build will the other 2 dps/support I assume? Should I keep working on more starter decks or start down the path of one of the main decks, probably paladin, or just go completely freestyle?

I just finished Kingsmouth as well and was pleasantly surprised I didn't immediately get my arse handed to me when I entered The Savage Coast, all the initial missions were only normal!

derFeef

I forgot to mention I have a key for anyone REALLY interested - not gonna give it away lightly though ... let me think of something ;)

StMeph

The damage output and defense of enemies begins to scale upwards and you tend to fight them in larger numbers, especially in Egypt.

I see.

Due to the game's already mature market, and starting later, I generally tend to overgear anyway, by spending SP to qualify for stuff that's 1-2 QL higher than the zone i am in. No quests provide upgrades, and dungeon blues are maybe sidegrades for more specific roles or builds.

It seems like something I should be able to sustain by continuing to overgear for the zone. Or does enemy damage outpace player stats by that much?

I found this online as a reference for suggested gear QL for instances:

Polaris - QL 2-3
Inferno - QL 4-5
The Darkness War - QL 5-6
Ankh QL 6.5-8
Hell Fallen - QL 8-9

The Facility - QL 10
Hell Eternal - QL 10
Slaughterhouse - QL 10

Is that accurate? I'm assuming that's for green-quality gear?

I see.

Due to the game's already mature market, and starting later, I generally tend to overgear anyway, by spending SP to qualify for stuff that's 1-2 QL higher than the zone i am in. No quests provide upgrades, and dungeon blues are maybe sidegrades for more specific roles or builds.

It seems like something I should be able to sustain by continuing to overgear for the zone. Or does enemy damage outpace player stats by that much?

I found this online as a reference for suggested gear QL for instances:

Polaris - QL 2-3
Inferno - QL 4-5
The Darkness War - QL 5-6
Ankh QL 6.5-8
Hell Fallen - QL 8-9

The Facility - QL 10
Hell Eternal - QL 10
Slaughterhouse - QL 10

Is that accurate? I'm assuming that's for green-quality gear?

More or less. I would definitely aim for the upper end of the QL numbers if you plan on tanking or healing. The lower end should be fine for DPS.

StMeph

More or less. I would definitely aim for the upper end of the QL numbers if you plan on tanking or healing. The lower end should be fine for DPS.

Thanks.

Hopped on the #SecretGAF channel, but no one was there. Is the GAF presence basically dead?

Any Cabal left? Seems like there's some Templar activity, but do factions even matter outside of PvP?

Mithos

Gold Member
Why did I get an email that my sub had expired? I Bought the game after they removed subs

This is ONLY my guess.

I guess you bought the game in December and got: issue #5 (The Vanishing of Tyler Freeborn)

And that issue #5 period is now over (issue #6 incoming?), and your getting a mail to tell its over? I got the same mail and there is even an 14 day offer to activate membership for your account (and its not working, as always with codes from Funcom).

Yeah Secret GAF is pretty dead. I mostly play on the weekends, but I am in Europe so that makes it even harder I guess.

Hey now Feef, be careful there. You're hurting my feelings :(

I play every now and then, but have been pre-occupied with some other games. I try to log in a few times a week and play. Once the next issue drops I suspect I'll hope on for more time than usual. The game is great solo though, so that shouldn't discourage ANYONE from playing. Plus I think there is still a healthy population playing.

Top Bottom