• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Secret World |OT| Everything is True

derFeef

Okay here are some basic tips I feel make TSW a little less "janky" im some regards and some basic tips. ymmv of course depending on how much "mmo" you want ;)
If you have something to add please let me know, I will link this post in the OP.

As always sorry for bad English :p

Graphic settings:

AkuyU.png

• Tessallation eats up performance, and especially in London the "Ground only" option helps a lot. Generally if you have low framerate, try disabling this first.
  • SSAO I put on low because I get an almost 10fps boost and it the effect is not as harsh.
  • Contrast! If you feel the game looks washed out put up the contrast like I have here.
    It depends on your setup of course but that has always helped in Funcom games imho. Also put Gamma to 1.00 if it's higher. by default

Advanced settings:

LYTto.png

For me this provides a good balance between performance and looks.
I have a powerful machine but especially in areas like Blue Mountain reducing some of those can help.​

Interface:

gBpZ0.png

BSl17.png

84OOm.png

• The Interaction UI (Press X to .....) clutters the screen, just disable it.
  • I am not sure anymore if Target Decals are on by default, but I prefer them disabled.
  • Disabling double-tapping prevents unwanted use of the active dodge in combat situations, I use shift+direction
  • I disabled all floating dmg numbers, I hate them! ;)
  • The camera follow mode is the most important I think. Set it to "Never" as the camera stays the way you want, always.
  • Disabling the on-screen messages (target not in rage, ability not ready, spam spam!) helps decluttering the screen.
  • GUI scale is of course a matter of taste, but I turn it down a bit so it get's a bit smaller and make the inventory bigger.
  • Shortcuts window is important, enable of course! Open the inventory and pin it, so it stays open all the time. shift+numberkey to activate the items.
    z8B9f.png

Chat:

YuTZm.png

Disable the General chat! It basically has ALL channels in one tab, which is bananas.
Right-click the tab and hit "delete tab". Then on the right side press the little plus sign and put the channels you need in seperate tabs.
You can also make a custom tab and subscribe to different channels, like "Items loot" and "Money loot" in one single tab for example.
You can also make a tab default by right clicking it, so if you hit Enter it always sents the message to the same channel/tab​

And there you go, a nice and clean UI :)

8328909773_e827f37cfd_c.jpg

I'm continuing to enjoy this game, though A'kab areas perhaps less so. Just about done with Blue Mountains still need to do the dungeon and last bits of story quest. Did all the major hubs though there might be some random side quests I missed.

The atmosphere of the game is pretty heavy though and needs to be balanced by playing Yoshi Story for a few minutes for every few hours of TSW though.

Also I had to start investing a lot of AP into dps moves cause I am near dying to blue mobs =(

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Is this game supposed to be so hard right off the bat? I'm in the first stage basically, the zombie town, and these unstoppable dudes just constantly appear out of nowhere.

Is this game supposed to be so hard right off the bat? I'm in the first stage basically, the zombie town, and these unstoppable dudes just constantly appear out of nowhere.

Your probably dealing with the shitty end of the world event they have going on. Random tougher than normal zombies/mayan dudes pop out of nowhere and attack you anywhere you are while playing. It's a really stupid thing to do against newbies who are constantly dying because of it.

derFeef

Your probably dealing with the shitty end of the world event they have going on. Random tougher than normal zombies/mayan dudes pop out of nowhere and attack you anywhere you are while playing. It's a really stupid thing to do against newbies who are constantly dying because of it.

Yeah, bad idea, there should be an item to make yourself immune against it. The mayan zombies do not attack me though, so I suppose they only attack lower players?

jediyoshi

Yeah, bad idea, there should be an item to make yourself immune against it. The mayan zombies do not attack me though, so I suppose they only attack lower players?

Pretty sure Xibalban stops spawning if you accept the quest (inspect body after killing him)

Servent of One Dead (mayan dudes with the blue magic) spawn on you the same but don't have any agro

Also for any dudes hopping on last minute, remember when you get to kingsmouth to access the store -> 'claim items' and get all your free stuff

o0GLL.jpg

The weapons they give you make the opening stuff a breeze

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Jesus, I guess just leave and find another place to progress? What's the best starting place for a Templar?

jediyoshi

Nope, I accepted the quest and kept playing thinking that would stop it. Xibalban keeps spawning and attacking you.

Weird, maybe it's because I made it to the 2nd tier of the quest. Haven't seen him in kingsmouth for hours since. Still a bunch of Servent of One Deads though.

derFeef

Weird, maybe it's because I made it to the 2nd tier of the quest. Haven't seen him in kingsmouth for hours since. Still a bunch of Servent of One Deads though.

I finished the missions and they still pop up. No idea who decided that's a good idea... new players will have a hard time.

I am so close to buying this game. I've never really played a mmo before though

No worries, you can basically handle this as an action-rpg with constant online ;)

jediyoshi

I finished the missions and they still pop up. No idea who decided that's a good idea... new players will have a hard time.

Xibalban or Servent of One Deads? Xibalban is the only one that should be an issue since you'll automatically pull its aggro as soon as it spawns. The other ones just spawn and don't get in the way unless you attack them.

derFeef

Xibalban or Servent of One Deads? Xibalban is the only one that should be an issue since you'll automatically pull its aggro as soon as it spawns. The other ones just spawn and don't get in the way unless you attack them.

Ah right, I mixed them up. Remember guys to join the Steam group and just ask if you need some help, we are a generous bunch :)

derFeef

alright rumor is this is gonna be 17$ tomorrow on amazon is it worth waiting or just buying it now on steam?

That price is certainly a steal, if you don't care for Steam integration (you can still launch it from steam with linking of course), I'd say go for the amazon deal.

jediyoshi

yeah I just bought it on steam how do i claim that or does it do it automatically?

Gotta make your way all the way through the intro and tutorial ingame till you get to the starting town. Then you can claim it in the ingame store, it is a little lengthy to get there.

mattiewheels

So how do the 'issues' work? Are they story paths that you access specifically or do you just get automatically put on the path?

derFeef

So how do the 'issues' work? Are they story paths that you access specifically or do you just get automatically put on the path?

They include missions that get available at NPCs. I do not know how this would specifically work ingame, but I imagine that the mission buttons are locked. And remember that all issues are included except issue #5.

Some of them included the new auxillary weapons like the chainsaw and the rocket launcher, I image that those missions to unlock them are unavailable to you too.

Alright, I caved due to GAF-hype as usual and got the game. How do I get to play with gaffers? What server are you on and is there any guild I can join?

mattiewheels

They include missions that get available at NPCs. I do not know how this would specifically work ingame, but I imagine that the mission buttons are locked. And remember that all issues are included except issue #5.

Some of them included the new auxillary weapons like the chainsaw and the rocket launcher, I image that those missions to unlock them are unavailable to you too.
It's funny, I'm on the trial you sent me, but Issue 5 popped up in my inventory...I guess I get to keep it if I join?

Dunlop

Easiest for me was Fist/Chaos, but certainly not the most fun since I am not a close combat guy. Chaos is pretty cool tough.

Fist and Blade can make a great dmg/selfheal build if you have those first skills. I am on right now for a bit if you need help btw. :) Feef ingame.

thanks for the info.

I'm a total boob. I thought a checkmark on a quest meant it was completed (forever). I had no idea you could redo them the next day. I'm getting my ass kicked because I am undergeared and "levelled" for Blue mountain

Kimaka

I just bought this. How do you see what issues you have? I got 5 from the store but I don't know how to check if I have it ingame.

I love the atmosphere on Solomon Island so much it's unreal. It's really awesome to be playing an MMO with stories aimed at adults - one that really stands out is the suicide on the lighthouse: that would have beem handled completely differently in any of the other MMOs I've played, if at all.

The game is so grim at times but also has a streak of gallows sense of humour - I love it.

I've gone AR/blood healing heavy (I like playing healers) and at times I feel grimly unkillable in the face of impossible odds. Other times it's clear that my lack of DPS is somewhat crippling.

My Templar is on Cerberus (eu) (I think). What do I need to do to get into the GAF cabal (assuming I can)?

Alright got this finally downloaded and played a mission. If anyone wants to add me and show me some basic tips id appreciate it. my username should be my account name

I bought this off Amazon but am a little confused. I enter my key on the funcom site to register, but it's asking me for CC info and it
s saying the purchase for the game is $29.99, but I already bought the game on Amazon? Whats going on here?

derFeef

I love the atmosphere on Solomon Island so much it's unreal. It's really awesome to be playing an MMO with stories aimed at adults - one that really stands out is the suicide on the lighthouse: that would have beem handled completely differently in any of the other MMOs I've played, if at all.

The game is so grim at times but also has a streak of gallows sense of humour - I love it.

I've gone AR/blood healing heavy (I like playing healers) and at times I feel grimly unkillable in the face of impossible odds. Other times it's clear that my lack of DPS is somewhat crippling.

My Templar is on Cerberus (eu) (I think). What do I need to do to get into the GAF cabal (assuming I can)?

I can invite you to our Templar cabal later today, just tell me your name or let me know through steam. And yeah you nail it, the atmosphere is very grim sometimes, the story goes to dark places also.

And I love that the world changes a bit when you are dead - you see different things etc.

Kerrinck

I bought this off Amazon but am a little confused. I enter my key on the funcom site to register, but it's asking me for CC info and it
s saying the purchase for the game is $29.99, but I already bought the game on Amazon? Whats going on here?

Yeah, same here. Anyone knows how to fix this?

Dunlop

I can invite you to our Templar cabal later today, just tell me your name or let me know through steam. And yeah you nail it, the atmosphere is very grim sometimes, the story goes to dark places also.

And I love that the world changes a bit when you are dead - you see different things etc.

what's your name in TSW? I'll hit you up for an invite

Dunlop in TSW

Gaspode_T

I think when I had the page open it re-opened with a different version that says like "Now Secret World does not need a subscription to play" I don't remember how the page came up but I think it happened after I filled in the registration details...basically when I was registering for Funcom account, the next thing that should appear is the Secret World launcher if you did things the same way I did...it worked for me just yesterday

P.S. I am loving the game so far - I will figure out what ID I need to share after I get my feet wet

My Templar is Harriet "Patchset" Masterson.

mattiewheels

The atmosphere in this world is incredible. I've never really played an MMO before though, so the combat system I'm not so fond of. Almost wish you could forego it somehow.

Anyone still got a tsw trial buddy invite lying around?
Wanted to convince my wife into playing the trial with me. The investigation missions are quite interesting and fun when you figure them out.

The atmosphere in this world is incredible. I've never really played an MMO before though, so the combat system I'm not so fond of. Almost wish you could forego it somehow.

Dig into the combat system. It has a bit more depth than you initially think. Still, I enjoy Age of Conan's combat much more. I wish TSW would add combos for melee.

You do have to enter your CC info to register but it wont charge you. When you get to the next page after filling out your info, if you look to the left you should see a place where you can enter your activation key. After entering it you should see two options in green. Select upgrade my account and then you will be able to download the client.

Hope I explained that right.

Phinor

So.. this game is actually pretty amazing. I played the beta back when it was running and wasn't impressed at all. I decided to give it another try now that there's no sub fees and some hours into the game, the game is great and most of all, a bit different than other MMOs. It's easy to criticize the combat because it's just typical MMO combat, but the world/lore/story are quite amazing. I'm afraid I might actually get into this game hardcore, I mean, WoW 2005 hardcore. Have to try to avoid that.

The only issue I have is the performance. My setup is 2500k@4.4GHz, 8GB DDR3 and AMD 7950 and it's running quite bad, like dropping often to 30 fps bad. My CPU/GPU load almost never raises to 50%, mostly hovering in the 20-40% range. Is there some magical setting I need to set to fix everything performance-wise? I tried changing few settings already but nothing seemed to have any effect on the fps counter.

edit: I'll try some of the things derFeer mentioned 50 posts earlier. I already tried SSAO/Tesselation but neither of those seemed to have any effect on fps. Maybe I should try restarting the game after changing settings or something.

Top Bottom