• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Simpsons - Season 26 |OT| The Season of the Crossover

Status
Not open for further replies.

bms2993

Banned
Maybe I'm just a sucker for Christmas episodes, but I thought that was pretty good.

I actually think so as well. Most episodes this season were okay to garbage, but this one was one of my favorites this season. Lots of funny gags all throughout and while the episode did feel a little rushed, it had a decent enough plot to make it meaningful.

UberTag

I Won't Be Home for Christmas is the first easy-to-recommend universally praised episode of Season 26 - although the season as a whole has been solid aside from the premiere which has resulted in a lot of the mid-range episodes / crossovers being enjoyed to various degrees by at least a handful of people.

As you can see from my recent OP edit, I have HIGH expectations for The Man Who Came to be Dinner that kicks off the new year. It has "if you only see one episode this year, make it this one" hype going for it. You can see from the highlight collage graphic that there's an homage to the ruffled chip scene in Deep Space Homer to look forward to.

UberTag

THE MAN WHO CAME TO BE DINNER - Sunday, January 4th

JwECgK1.jpg

The_Man_Who_Came_To_Be_Dinner_promo_3.jpg
The_Man_Who_Came_To_Be_Dinner_promo_1.jpg

The_Man_Who_Came_To_Be_Dinner_promo_4.jpg
The_Man_Who_Came_To_Be_Dinner_promo_5.jpg

Episode Clip #1 - The Let-Go Loop
Episode Clip #2 - The Miracle of Birth

Episode Production Code = RABF15
Head Writers = Al Jean & David Mirkin (classic era showrunner Mirkin has only written one previous episode - Season 5's classic, Deep Space Homer)
Director = David Silverman ("the" guy he directed The Simpsons Movie, most of Seasons 1 & 2 including the very first episodes, Mother Simpson, THOH IV - this is a big deal)

Odds that Episode Will be Watchable = GUARANTEED (more so than any of the crossovers - THIS is the de facto must-watch "event episode" of the season; was initially conceived as a plot for The Simpsons Movie 2)
Odds that Episode Will be Good = EXCELLENT (this episode has been waiting in the wings to be aired for over two years now; Silverman returns to direct for the first time since The Longest Daycare)
Odds that Episode Will be Memorable = GUARANTEED
Just a friendly reminder that The Simpsons returns tonight with its most heavily-hyped episode in a long, long time.
Silverman, Mirkin, Jean and a premise that has literally never been tackled before and will never be tackled again should make this one to watch.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
So what's the context for this episode? Kang and Kudos are supposed to only exist in fantasy. Why are they now canon? (I can't watch until later)

Had no idea this was hyped and just happened to catch it. Felt like an older episode...strange, but not too strange. Good stuff all around.

ElTopo

Banned
Is this like the 3rd time this season has jumped the shark? It made me chuckle a few times but the delivery still feels off.

Richie

As someone who just tuns in nowadays for the episodes with the outlandish plots (the crossovers, the Lego one) or those with lots of praise (Steal This Episode), this was actually entertaining enough. Far from a classic but several enjoyable gags.

Ahasverus

They are totally going al out with the fantasy this season aren't they? Weird, seems like a Coda season after a series ending.

Jackpot

Banned
Odds that Episode Will be Watchable = GUARANTEED (more so than any of the crossovers - THIS is the de facto must-watch "event episode" of the season; was initially conceived as a plot for The Simpsons Movie 2)
Odds that Episode Will be Good = EXCELLENT (this episode has been waiting in the wings to be aired for over two years now; Silverman returns to direct for the first time since The Longest Daycare)
Odds that Episode Will be Memorable = GUARANTEED

You're fired.

UberTag

You're fired.
You can tell from my score that I was underwhelmed by The Man Who Came to Be Dinner... although I stand by my "guaranteed" rating for it being both watchable/memorable (which I still feel it is).

So before you fire me based on misplaced expectations (which were understandably high given the pedigree of who was involved), allow me to share my review based on how this episode actually turned out.

After watching this episode through twice, I'm finding it to be a tough ep to grade. I'm largely underwhelmed despite having stupidly high expectations going in... and yet, in retrospect, I'm not entirely sure I expected more from the plot than what we got.

There was a lot of rehashing of the same kinds of jokes from Hungry are the Damned (if they're going to insist on recycling vegetarian gags for Lisa, they could have at least had a bit where they tried to serve her fried shrimp again) and Itchy & Scratchy Land - along with Mirkin's Deep Space Homer homage (that felt more like a do-over of the Two Dozen and One Greyhounds chip gag).

They've got this ridiculous mindset that all of the Rigellians are interchangeable - which resulted in unforgivably sparse usage of Kang & Kodos. Both the voicework and animation direction were uniformly excellent... so once again the execution flaws lie with the writer's room. This episode boasted some weird pacing issues where they literally go 2 minutes from the end of the tour of Rigel VII to decreeing they must eat one of the family - which is a shame because most of the potential this concept offered was the Simpsons interacting with an alien culture on another planet and they literally short-change all of that by fast-tracking the plot and keeping them locked up in a bubble representation of their living room. Like, why would you ever bring The Simpsons somewhere new and then stick them in their living room?

My chief criticism is this - and it applies to what I didn't care for in Simpsorama as well - it's extremely difficult for us as viewers to get invested in the wonder of a concept episode when the Simpson family as a whole behaves cynical and apathetic about their surroundings. When they were captured by aliens the first time in Season 2, when they visited Itchy & Scratchy Land in Season 5, when they visited Australia in Season 6, when they vacationed in Little Pwagmattasquarmsettport in Season 7, when they moved to Cypress Creek in Season 8 - or hell, for a recent example, when they were trapped on the Royalty Valhalla cruise ship in Season 23 - the family was enthusiastic about their new surroundings, there was a clear sense of them being someplace different and we had the chance to get invested in the family being someplace new. Contrast that with this year where they've been a thousand years in the future and whisked to an alien home world and couldn't have been more indifferent about their surroundings. Or, for that matter, indifferent about one of them potentially getting killed/eaten.

No offense to Al Jean but I don't watch this show because I want to see a bunch of cynical fucks. I have these forums for that. I want to see these characters react with a sense of wonder if they're someplace new and you're not giving that to me. Instead you're giving me disinterested Bart, Homer ranting nonsensically, Lisa in the role of plot exposition and Marge is just sort of there off to the side somewhere. You've wasted the future and Rigel VII and had the Simpson family behave like they were at home in both eras. Congratulations.

It kind of blew me away that the aliens are canon now. I was really expecting some kind of "twist" to explain that it wasn't real, like it was just a new hyper-real Diz-nee-land ride.

But really though, this is a show that's had the entire town moved miles away, encased in a giant glass bubble, and had the sun blocked.

UberTag

It kind of blew me away that the aliens are canon now. I was really expecting some kind of "twist" to explain that it wasn't real, like it was just a new hyper-real Diz-nee-land ride.

But really though, this is a show that's had the entire town moved miles away, encased in a giant glass bubble, and had the sun blocked.
Yeah, the canon vs. non-canon arguments I can't really get invested in after 26 seasons. Especially with the many alternate future timelines that have been haphazardly tossed around.

Astral Dog

I started watching and that couch gag was good, because it was short, not like some of the overlong ones recently.
Edit:What this really going to be the plot of a Simpsons movie? it did not feel different from other (new style) episodes, more like a Treehouse of Horror.

Richie

Some of you may be aware of Dead Homers Society, a site which thrives on pointing out the flaws they perceive on the non-classic era of Simpsons episode, latest releases included.

Well, they just considered The Man Who Came To Be Dinner to be the best episode since Trilogy Of Error and Al Jean himself responds in the comments. Check it out!

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Why did they start off with a worse version of the parking lot joke from Itchy & Scratchy Land? "Ethnic Princess Land" doesn't have the same ring to it.

UberTag

Some of you may be aware of Dead Homers Society, a site which thrives on pointing out the flaws they perceive on the non-classic era of Simpsons episode, latest releases included.

Well, they just considered The Man Who Came To Be Dinner to be the best episode since Trilogy Of Error and Al Jean himself responds in the comments. Check it out!
Clearly all one needs to do in order to appease the DHS crowd is to write Simpsons episodes as if they were Futurama storylines. Frankly, I thought they had higher standards... but seeing how they've wanted the show to be something it's not for well over a decade now it's not surprising they'd be thrilled by an episode that deviates so drastically from the Simpsons formula.

This weekend's episode was certainly different. No denying that.

Why did they start off with a worse version of the parking lot joke from Itchy & Scratchy Land? "Ethnic Princess Land" doesn't have the same ring to it.
Rehashing heralded jokes from the classic era under the auspices of "see, we're still clever; we remember that" is what the writer's room does to cater to old timey fans. Frankly, I prefer what they did in this year's Christmas episode where they took the neon sign gag that's been used several times before and then subverted our expectations by throwing in a unique twist that played on our familiarity. THAT's how you appeal to nostalgia but stay fresh at the same time.

That part with all the aliens dancing underground was that supposed to be making fun of the Matrix Reloaded?
I'm pretty sure it was since they were a resistance or rebellion, or something.

Also, I thought it was a pretty bad episode. Just really stupid.

Were they not made canon after "Gump Roast"?

Richie

Clearly all one needs to do in order to appease the DHS crowd is to write Simpsons episodes as if they were Futurama storylines. Frankly, I thought they had higher standards... but seeing how they've wanted the show to be something it's not for well over a decade now it's not surprising they'd be thrilled by an episode that deviates so drastically from the Simpsons formula.

This weekend's episode was certainly different. No denying that.

In their eyes the new Simpsons fail at living up to classic standards, so when they -don't- try to measure up to the past days of glory and just do their own gig, I can see why they'd like it. That said, I've enjoyed many a new episode that they've ripped apart.

By the way, the new premiere is above average for what I expect of the new Simpsons, and had two legit big laughs from me (the circus' flashback, Bart recharging his water gun). Too bad some bad traits of the new episodes do show up. But it was enjoyable.

Also,

AnhfY8Q.jpg

UberTag

I thought the Charlie Hebdo tribute at the end was extremely classy. Good on the show for throwing that together.
Wish I could say I enjoyed the rest of tonight's episode.

AlexMogil

I don't get the idea this episode was written 24 years ago.

"Homer thinks he is 10" is about the only thing that could have been used from the original treatment. The method of his transformation, the gags, the was he transforms back, all seem to be written in 12+ season style.

Richie

I thought the Charlie Hebdo tribute at the end was extremely classy. Good on the show for throwing that together.
Wish I could say I enjoyed the rest of tonight's episode.

I saw your comment in No Homers and albeit they'd have never done it, I'd have freaking loved if they went with your idea of treating this as a full blast from the past. Hope they pull off something like that before the series ends.

"Homer thinks he is 10" is about the only thing that could have been used from the original treatment. The method of his transformation, the gags, the was he transforms back, all seem to be written in 12+ season style.

The current staff rewrote Judd's script, rather heavily it seems.
Which is a damn shame because then what's the point?

Joni

Or you know, consider this: all the season 12+ writers have seen the original episodes. Why would Apatow be better at mimicking the original writers?
Edit: he also wasn't trying. It wasn't a script for a Simpsons episode.

Joni

A semi-positive Future Bart, a fun Hans Moleman appearance and a lot of nice callbacks. Enjoyed that episode.

Richie

The intro wasn't made by the staff, it was fan made and they threw it in.

Which may be the first time it happened. I don't recall how involved they were in the live action couch gag though...

UberTag

Just a heads up that the final string of episodes for Season 26 begin airing later tonight.
PEEPING MOM - Sunday, April 19th | Episode Production Code = TABF11 / Writer = John Frink

MARGE SPIES TO CATCH BART IN A LIE

Bart lies about being involved in a bulldozer crash, so Marge decides to follow him everywhere until he confesses. Meanwhile, Homer ignores Santa’s Little Helper when Flanders gets a new dog.
THE KIDS ARE ALL FIGHT - Sunday, April 26th | Episode Production Code = TABF12 / Writer = Rob LaZebnik

FIND OUT HOW THE RIVALRY BETWEEN BART AND LISA BEGAN

When Homer gets an old film roll developed, the family takes a trip down memory lane to see the origins of how Bart and Lisa first started fighting with each other.
LET'S GO FLY A COOT - Sunday, May 3rd | Episode Production Code = TABF13 / Writer = Jeff Westbrook

GRAMPA RELIVES HIS DAYS IN THE AIR FORCE

Carice van Houten (“Game of Thrones”) Makes Guest-Voice Appearance

The Simpsons learn about Grampa’s days in the Air Force, and Bart takes up smoking to impress Milhouse’s Dutch cousin, Annika.
BULL-E - Sunday, May 10th | Episode Production Code = TABF15 / Writer = Tim Long

MARGE’S ANTI-BULLYING LEGISLATION GOES TO EXTREMES

Grammy Hall of Fame Inductee Johnny Mathis and Albert Brooks (“Finding Nemo,” “Broadcast News”) Make Guest-Voice Appearances

After Bart gets bullied at the school dance, Marge convinces the town to pass anti-bullying legislation. Homer then gets arrested and sent to rehab for bullying Ned Flanders, only to subsequently leave rehab as a hero.
MATHLETE'S FEAT - Sunday, May 17th | Episode Production Code = TABF16

SPRINGFIELD ELEMENTARY CHANGES TO EXPERIENTIAL LEARNING CURRICULUM

When a modernized Springfield Elementary has a technical meltdown, Lisa transforms it into a Waldorf school. Meanwhile, Groundskeeper Willie becomes the coach of the mathletes.

Joni

Strange to actually hear a foreign language being done so correctly in an American show, especially when it turns out it is Melisandre.

UberTag

Strange to actually hear a foreign language being done so correctly in an American show, especially when it turns out it is Melisandre.
They've been pretty consistent about nailing foreign languages correctly over the years. Although given that effort they really ought to make more diligent use of subtitles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom