• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Sims 4 |OT| Behold its true form and despair!

Sub Zero

his body's cold as ice, but he's got a heart of gold
Played the game for around an hour and it is surprisingly fun. Reminds me a lot of TS2 which is my favorite game in the series. What's funny is that there is actually a lot more content than any other Sims base game. Seems that EA will go softer with DLC this time around

The semi-open world design actually works great since it will connect all the Worlds that will be added with expansions/mods and the loading screens are very short with the game installed on a HDD. Create a Sim has a lot more content that the demo and genetics work more like TS2, which is a huge plus. Multitasking is great and the animations are fantastic. The game is generally very fun to play. Socializing isn't barebones like the previous games and what impressed me is that every neighborhood is filled with NPCs. I haven't tried Build mode yet but I may post some impressions when I do

My 3 major gripes with the game is the lack of pools, toddlers,normal career options and generally content that was considered standard in previous entries. According to some developers, these can all be patched into the game though, so I wouldn't mind paying a bit extra for them. The game so far is worth the $35 I spent on it

What I hope is that they don't focus on over the top silly stuff with their expansion packs. This is what ruined Sims 3 for me, as the game had a lot of potential. A couple of EPs like Ambitions and Generations that bring back a lot of everyday life stuff to the game would be ideal

I played for three hours during Gamescom and I was pretty happy about it.

Now I already preloaded the game, waiting the unlock... can you make my waiting less painfull with some screeshot, Gaf?

red731

Thank you for the impressions, Sub Zero.

I guess I am hovering around here to validify this hastly purchase. I can't wait to play it tomorrow or when it opens in EU for myself. Maybe I'll VPN this...

JoeBoy101

How is system requirements? Demanding?

No, quite the opposite. It has less System Requirements than Sims 3 and runs better.

SubZero said:
Played the game for around an hour and it is surprisingly fun. Reminds me a lot of TS2 which is my favorite game in the series. What's funny is that there is actually a lot more content than any other Sims base game. Seems that EA will go softer with DLC this time around

The semi-open world design actually works great since it will connect all the Worlds that will be added with expansions/mods and the loading screens are very short with the game installed on a HDD. Create a Sim has a lot more content that the demo and genetics work more like TS2, which is a huge plus. Multitasking is great and the animations are fantastic. The game is generally very fun to play. Socializing isn't barebones like the previous games and what impressed me is that every neighborhood is filled with NPCs. I haven't tried Build mode yet but I may post some impressions when I do

My 3 major gripes with the game is the lack of pools, toddlers,normal career options and generally content that was considered standard in previous entries. According to some developers, these can all be patched into the game though, so I wouldn't mind paying a bit extra for them. The game so far is worth the $35 I spent on it

What I hope is that they don't focus on over the top silly stuff with their expansion packs. This is what ruined Sims 3 for me, as the game had a lot of potential. A couple of EPs like Ambitions and Generations that bring back a lot of everyday life stuff to the game would be ideal

I agree with pretty much all of this. If people are wavering there are two things to consider:

1) If you're happy with Sims 3 right now, keep with it. It has all the expansions and extra content that it is definitely the more prudent financial decision.

2) Origin has its 24 hour return policy and they advertise it up front.

I'm firmly in the EA sucks camp, but after introducing this policy and the whole giveaway with Sims 2, I'm kinda hoping they are shifting towards more customer appreciation than letting it languish in the gutter.

Ultimately, I'm not strongly recommending the game because of that price tag, but I won't deny I'm having fun with it.

Bittercup

The digital deluxe edition mentions additional outfits. Can I somewhere see which outfits are included? I had no luck finding images or descriptions of them.
The rest of the DLC items don't seem too important but I don't want to miss outfits if they look great.

Zareka

Lol I forgot Sims doesn't come out in Europe until Friday. Because reasons.

I guess the only way to nab this would be the whole disguising myself as a Mexican type thing? Could I still use the 24 hours refund for that?

Div3x

Neo Member
Is there any kind of mod support for this game ? I really want to play it but no pools,basements and cars means that i won't be buying it any time soon.

The digital deluxe edition mentions additional outfits. Can I somewhere see which outfits are included? I had no luck finding images or descriptions of them.
The rest of the DLC items don't seem too important but I don't want to miss outfits if they look great.

A tiki bar, a laser show toy, some animal hats and some party costumes

Buzzbrad

I guess the only way to nab this would be the whole disguising myself as a Mexican type thing? Could I still use the 24 hours refund for that?

Yeah you can use a VPN and still get the refund I believe.

McNum

Is there any kind of mod support for this game ? I really want to play it but no pools,basements and cars means that i won't be buying it any time soon.
Plenty of mod support in the game, ingame mod browser, easily unpacked game sripts, EA releasing a how-to guide soon, but the game is only a day old. Give the modders time. (And read the OP, there's a whole section about it.)

Melon Husk

How can there be more content if it lacks basic features?

And only 35 dollars? I wouldn't mind paying $35 / 35€ for this, but when the base price aka SRP is 59,99€, or $79 after taxes, it's a problem. I would have welcomed the base game at a lower price point. The lack of standard series features does not justify a purchase.

The game will be unlocked in Italy (GMT+1) in 10 hours

Sub Zero

his body's cold as ice, but he's got a heart of gold
Only 35 dollars? I wouldnt mind paying $35 / 35€ for this, but when the base price aka SRP is 59,99€, or $79 after taxes, it's a problem. I would have welcomed the base game at a lower price point. The lack of standard series features does not justify a purchase.

It only costs $35 ($45 if you want the DDE) on Mexican Origin and EA is perfectly fine with people using VPNs to buy from other regions' stores. I personally wouldn't pay more for a Sims game

Melon Husk

It only costs $35 ($45 if you want the DDE) on Mexican Origin and EA is perfectly fine with people using VPNs to buy from other regions' stores. I personally wouldn't pay more for a Sims game

Yup, but a worldwide lower-than-full-retail price should have been part of EA's strategy to sell this thing to people.
I guess I'll eat crow if this is a resounding success

My wife played it for a bunch of hours last night and wasn't lamenting too much about the lost features so hey, can't be too terrible. Runs a dream on max settings unlike Sims 3 which isn't too surprising because of how they handle neighborhoods. Just the multitasking alone had my wife cooing pleasantly.

Luckily with Best Buy's gamer's club thing we only played $46 up front with taxes, then we got $10 back because of Best Buy's preorder program, so for $36 dollars up front on day 1 I'd say it's not too bad at all.

carlsojo

Fiancee played it all day yesterday after getting home from work, she loves it. I'll play some today and try to post some screenshots or something.

Tiu Neo

This game... is pretty addicting. Played a bit yesterday, and when I saw... Six hours had passed.

Yeah, I'll keep it, looks promising. It's more like a sequel to Sims 2 than a sequel to Sims 3, but it's very well made, the loading times are (still, let's see with the expansions) very fast, and it runs very smoothly on my laptop.

I didn't even like toddlers that much, anyway.

i really miss the NPCs.. :(

no firemen, no criminal, no police, no repoman, no mailman, no repairman... everything just appears.. PING!

Spl1nter

So one really nice thing is that you have complete control over all the townies. Through household management you can add and remove townies or choose to even play them. The result is I now have Obama, Putin, and Kim Jong-un as townies in my world. I had a little chuckle when I first saw Kim Jong-un sleeping on a bench in the park.

McNum

So one really nice thing is that you have complete control over all the townies. Through household management you can add and remove townies or choose to even play them. The result is I now have Obama, Putin, and Kim Jong-un as townies in my world. I had a little chuckle when I first saw Kim Jong-un sleeping on a bench in the park.
Wait, are you saying you have direct access to the townie population, meaning those not living on a lot?

If so, it's going on the "What's New" list, because that is pretty new and useful.

Ok, this game is addictive as all hell. Being my first Sims game I don't know what was lost or if I'm at a point in the game where things it lacks would become apparent because I haven't played any other sims game so no clue. But, wow! so much fun and I haven't slept much because of the game, didn't realise it was 2am. Woke up at 5am to keep playing lol

I have just spent my time with my two sims trying to make money, so far not a dull moment, everything happening and you can do so much. I feel like I spend time inside the house waaaay too much, only managed to find one friend so far.

I think I will upgrade to the deluxe edition or whatever it's called.

Oh and going inside the mexican store to buy the game for 35 bucks and still works in english. Awesome!

edit: Oh and do you guys know if I can change the outfits I created for my sims? I messed up with the formal and normal attires for both of them and want to change them, but don't want to start all over.

second edit: Can you import the characters you created during the demo? if so, how?

Spl1nter

Wait, are you saying you have direct access to the townie population, meaning those not living on a lot?

If so, it's going on the "What's New" list, because that is pretty new and useful.

Correct. When in the manage world section under household management you can select household not in the world which consists of all the townies. Im not sure if there is a way to place a household directly in there but what I did was place a household on an empty lot and than evict which places them in the not in world population. You also have all the expected household management option with the not in world household.

Steven Mason

Neo Member
with the omissions this doesn't boed well for the game, but I have heard that there is going to be a premium thing like battlefield does rather than expansions. This I believe would work to there favor as it would mean we would get the extra content and wouldn't spend so much on expansions.

I will be waiting to hear about expansions or if it is indeed what I said above is correct that it will be a premium subscription like service ( as long as they price is right ) before making my purchase.

It like £25 quid on CD keys so if it is a premium service even at £30 quid or can get a token from Cdkeys again for like £25 quid or what ever they might offer the price as long as they have a lot of goals like how they announced the battlefield premium content.

Pilgrimzero

Oh, I need to hear more about the adventures of Obama, Putin, and Kim!

JoeBoy101

i really miss the NPCs.. :(

no firemen, no criminal, no police, no repoman, no mailman, no repairman... everything just appears.. PING!

I miss the criminals, police and firemen. The mailman though IS in the game though only delivers bills from what I see. Repairman sucks, but repairing items/handiness has been expanded. Basic materials, and some specific materials, can be needed for some upgrades. Repoman is gone, but I like the replacement of utilities being cut off. It doesn't have the humor, but does make a hell of a lot more sense.

McNum said:

I don't know if it was being stung from SimCity, but EA/Maxis have done a piss poor job of marketing this game.

And yeah, you can totally manage households that are 'Currently Not In The World'. Editing current sims, adding to the household, or deleting them. Or adding them to a house/lot.

I should say, with editing current sims, its just their clothes. No genetics/body options.

McNum

Correct. When in the manage world section under household management you can select household not in the world which consists of all the townies. Im not sure if there is a way to place a household directly in there but what I did was place a household on an empty lot and than evict which places them in the not in world population. You also have all the expected household management option with the not in world household.
Thank you! Added to the NEW list.

Didn't actually expect to have to add to that list, but it's kind of nice to see the game is alright, despite the rather glum outlook it had pre-release. And in seven more hours, I get to try it myself.

Mr Swine

Banned
So bought! I went and ordered the game for me and my sister! Too bad she won't be able to play the game until I come and visit her and take her new computer to her with the game :/

So is The Sims 4 harder or Easier than The Sims 3? It was my biggest gripe (other than the shitty performance) that even with the worst traits you could be filthy rich in no time

Spl1nter

So bought! I went and ordered the game for me and my sister! Too bad she won't be able to play the game until I come and visit her and take her new computer to her with the game :/

So is The Sims 4 harder or Easier than The Sims 3? It was my biggest gripe (other than the shitty performance) that even with the worst traits you could be filthy rich in no time

Definitely harder but in a good way.

One thing thats been on my mind as I played is the one Sim I'm playing doesn't seem to follow his traits. Titus is a mean sim that prefers to be a long and enjoys the misfortune of others. Sure enough he responds positively when I tell him to be rude or to perform a solitary activity. However when left alone, he goes off and starts chatting with people, being friendly, and building relationships. He makes no effort to be a loner or to be mean in any way. This is just one Sim and I might not be aware of all the variables. Just wasn't what i was expecting.

JoeBoy101

If that was you biggest gripe with Sims 3, your in serious luck. The game is way tougher in acquiring money. Back to Sims 2 levels, and I'd even venture to say harder. For comparison sake, house prices are about the same as Sims 3, right?

My level 4 chef is earning $35 bucks a hour. In Sims 3, the same level is $57 bucks an hour. Like Sims 3, you have to have to have the right skills, but to gain promotions you need high job performance AND meet one or two other criteria. For example, I had high performance, gain a level of cooking, and cook an excellent grilled cheese.

Not much happens during a job is the downside. You just leave, have an occasional yes/no question, and thats it, no choosing your options of how to work.

Baron_Calamity said:
One thing thats been on my mind as I played is the one Sim I'm playing doesn't seem to follow his traits. Titus is a mean sim that prefers to be a long and enjoys the misfortune of others. Sure enough he responds positively when I tell him to be rude or to perform a solitary activity. However when left alone, he goes off and starts chatting with people, being friendly, and building relationships. He makes no effort to be a loner or to be mean in any way. This is just one Sim and I might not be aware of all the variables. Just wasn't what i was expecting.

Is it his aspiration?

Mr Swine

Banned
If that was you biggest gripe with Sims 3, your in serious luck. The game is way tougher in acquiring money. Back to Sims 2 levels, and I'd even venture to say harder. For comparison sake, house prices are about the same as Sims 3, right?

My level 4 chef is earning $35 bucks a hour. In Sims 3, the same level is $57 bucks an hour. Like Sims 3, you have to have to have the right skills, but to gain promotions you need high job performance AND meet one or two other criteria. For example, I had high performance, gain a level of cooking, and cook an excellent grilled cheese.

Not much happens during a job is the downside. You just leave, have an occasional yes/no question, and thats it, no choosing your options of how to work.

Is it his aspiration?

Nice! :D

cchriss

In a livestream I saw someone being able to pick working hard/socializing with workers/relaxing/etc. while working.

JoeBoy101

In a livestream I saw someone being able to pick working hard/socializing with workers/relaxing/etc. while working.

Wow, really? I haven't seen that at all yet, because when he goes to work, it actually removes all your menu options for that Sim. Sure that's not Sims 3, because it sounds like it? Or was it a menu option that came up? You do get occasional menu items come up, like my dishwasher choosing between overloading the dishwasher or leaving some dishes undone.

Hasney said:
Wat. Can I not bang the maid while the wife is at work anymore?

Maid is in the game. As to whether you can bang her, that I don't know. It will make those one time scheduling calls for service more interesting. Especially if you get the aspiration award that makes them free.

Top Bottom