• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Sims 4 |OT| Behold its true form and despair!

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
I played the shit out of TS1-3 and I never ever touched create a style. Seemed hokey and dumb. The fact that most of the complaining about TS4 is about create-a-style actually makes me feel better about the game being OK.

Cool. I used create-a-style extensively.

stufte

I really need to have my sim quit his job and just sell his paintings. He's making WAY more per day by just selling a few paintings and could spend the rest of the day seducing his neighbors.

Ibuki

Banned
I think double clicking my sims portrait allowed me to choose what I wanted to do during work. Like work hard, schmooze with boss, study master chefs, etc.

stufte

I think double clicking my sims portrait allowed me to choose what I wanted to do during work. Like work hard, schmooze with boss, study master chefs, etc.

yah clicking the two people on the top right of the icon will bring up that menu.

Also your mood will sometimes give you more options.

I really need to have my sim quit his job and just sell his paintings. He's making WAY more per day by just selling a few paintings and could spend the rest of the day seducing his neighbors.

NIIIICE I will do that, while my roommate goes to work Rick James will seduce the hotties at the gym and still make money painting. Wow this game has so many things to it.

JoeBoy101

Goddammit! Why don't they tell you this shit? If you have the different options, I don't give a shit if the rabbitholes are gone. Going to check this in a few.

BTW, when talking about routing improvements, one of the most significant I have seen is two sims moving around each other. Rarely am I seeing one sim blocking another from getting through a doorway, getting past them, etc.

Ibuki

Banned
I threw a house party last night with two other people and it was awesome. I cooked for them, we all danced, and then started to play cards. One of the guests got tired and left, so me and her spouse kept playing. Looking forward to trying it with a bunch of people later.

Ibuki

Banned
I really felt like I got screwed over with Sim City, but so far I am satisfied with Sims 4. Everything is working as intended, performance is great, and I've been having a blast. Being able to actually play the game on launch is a plus. :p

JoeBoy101

Then you might think Sims 4 is an even bigger pile of shit.

Well considering alot of his points is entirely on a Sims 3 vs. Sims 4 (i.e., Realistic Graphics in Sims 3, Open World in Sims 3, Create-A-Style in, you guessed it, Sims 3).

Yeah, they might think Sims 4 is shit, but they may like it better too.

Me (in case you give a shit), I prefer the Sims 4 graphics as they are cleaner and, though more cartoon, they aren't silly. I know alot of people loved Create a Style, but I used it only occasionally, probably because it was a pig to run. And lastly, open world. I liked the open world, but also recognized it ran like shit in Sims 3. Yeah, it would have been nice if they spent more time to optimize it and make it work, but its not a deal breaker for me.

Also, his mention about a loading screen when crossing the street to go to your neighbor's house. The loading screen is for VISITING your neighbor's house. You can run past it, around it, and all over its yard all you like until you want to actually get into the house.

Indiedevs

Banned
I really felt like I got screwed over with Sim City, but so far I am satisfied with Sims 4. Everything is working as intended, performance is great, and I've been having a blast. Being able to actually play the game on launch is a plus. :p

Did you play Sims 3 much? I loved Sims 3, and I can`t help feeling that Sims 4 is a huge step back because all the stuff that they removed. Maybe it`s good for newcomers, because they probably won`t know that they are missing out on, but for me... Im not feeling it.

Ibuki

Banned
Did you play Sims 3 much? I loved Sims 3, and I can`t help feeling that Sims 4 is a huge step back because all the stuff that they removed. Maybe it`s good for newcomers, because they probably won`t know that they are missing out on, but for me... Im not feeling it.

I didn't play Sims 3 even though I owned it. I almost want to now just to see the differences. I am afraid I'll notice what's missing at that point, so maybe I should just stick with 4.

Indiedevs

Banned
I didn't play Sims 3 even though I owned it. I almost want to now just to see the differences. I am afraid I'll notice what's missing at that point, so maybe I should just stick with 4.

I thought so. ;)

Pretty hard to move from Sims 3 to Sims 4 at this point.

Amaya

Banned
It only costs $35 ($45 if you want the DDE) on Mexican Origin and EA is perfectly fine with people using VPNs to buy from other regions' stores. I personally wouldn't pay more for a Sims game

How exactly do you do this? If you don't mind me asking.

Plenty of mod support in the game, ingame mod browser, easily unpacked game sripts, EA releasing a how-to guide soon, but the game is only a day old. Give the modders time. (And read the OP, there's a whole section about it.)
Do you reckon there's a possibility modders could add back the two personality traits EA removed for whatever reason?
With the segmentation of the world being less terrible than expected, that's the biggest obstacle for me. I want to make a mean, childish, insane, slo...oh, I guess that's it. :(

RP912

Banned
The more I play this game, the more my own meter goes to red. It's like this game is one big annoyance from the horrible tutorials that out shit the sims 3, to the lack of content that's making this game so boring. Like I said a few pages ago...its a dating simulator with rpg aspects.

The only positives I have so far is the options when you get a job. The conversations between sims seem more fluent than a click fest. It's almost impossible to get woohoo off of the spot which is a good thing compared to the past sim games where you can say hows the weather and sims fall in love with you. The create a sim and house is godtier. It's so easy creating people than the sliders from past sim games. Other than those positives...it really feels more of a game than a life simulator. Unlocking stuff as you gain experience :/....REALLY?

Sub Zero

his body's cold as ice, but he's got a heart of gold
How exactly do you do this? If you don't mind me asking.

Download and install Hola Better Internet. After visiting origin.com press the icon of the plugin on the top right of your browser and switch to Mexico. Add the game to your cart and proceed to checkout. When it asks you to login with your Origin account, turn off the VPN, login and buy the game with the Mexican price

Is speed passing more slowly on ultra speed than The Sims 3 or am I imagining that?
Also there doesn't seem to be a "fast forward until current task is completed" speed. Don't know why they'd remove that, that was quite useful.
The more I play this game, the more my own meter goes to red. It's like this game is one big annoyance from the horrible tutorials that out shit the sims 3, to the lack of content that's making this game so boring. Like I said a few pages ago...its a dating simulator with rpg aspects.

The only positives I have so far is the options when you get a job. The conversations between sims seem more fluent than a click fest. It's almost impossible to get woohoo off of the spot which is a good thing compared to the past sim games where you can say hows the weather and sims fall in love with you. The create a sim and house is godtier. It's so easy creating people than the sliders from past sim games. Other than those positives...it really feels more of a game than a life simulator. Unlocking stuff as you gain experience :/....REALLY?
Did they remove the "SHUT UP WITH THE GOD DAMN TUTORIALS SHIT JESUS GOD" checkbox? I'm pretty sure The Sims 3 had one of those.

Some objects are gated by more than money? That seems...why? That makes no sense.

Ibuki

Banned
Alright I bit the bullet, going to try this out today. Hopefully I enjoy it for what it is.

I look forward to seeing your impressions.

I know it just came out but I'd still like to know info about planned expansions. Especially if they add in stuff people are complaining about the game lacking.

My wife wanted me to ask, how do you freely rotate the camera? She can't figure it out and neither can I, lol

Hold right click and move the mouse? Unless you are talking about something else.

Mononoke

Banned
I look forward to seeing your impressions.

I know it just came out but I'd still like to know info about planned expansions. Especially if they add in stuff people are complaining about the game lacking.

I'll post some impressions later. Keep in mind, I'm not like a hardcore fan of the series, so my view points will probably be skewed. I've played past games, and enjoyed them. But it was more on a casual level, I never got into these on an obsessive level (nowhere close to how the fanbase is...they are dedicated!). So I'm not sure if the missing features will impact me as much.

RP912

Banned
Is speed passing more slowly on ultra speed than The Sims 3 or am I imagining that?
Also there doesn't seem to be a "fast forward until current task is completed" speed. Don't know why they'd remove that, that was quite useful.

Did they remove the "SHUT UP WITH THE GOD DAMN TUTORIALS SHIT JESUS GOD" checkbox? I'm pretty sure The Sims 3 had one of those.

Some objects are gated by more than money? That seems...why? That makes no sense.

The speed passing seem faster on sims 4 than sims 3. Yet, there's no til current task is completed speed option which sucks because I ended up just fast forwarding to the point I almost missed work.

smh you have to put in a command via origin to get rid of tutorials unfortunately :(.

Amaya

Banned
Download and install Hola Better Internet. After visiting origin.com press the icon of the plugin on the top right of your browser and switch to Mexico. Add the game to your cart and proceed to checkout. When it asks you to login with your Origin account, turn off the VPN, login and buy the game with the Mexican price

Thank you sir! And just to be sure is "hola" the VPN?

Ibuki

Banned
I'll post some impressions later. Keep in mind, I'm not like a hardcore fan of the series, so my view points will probably be skewed. I've played past games, and enjoyed them. But it was more on a casual level, I never got into these on an obsessive level (nowhere close to how the fanbase is...they are dedicated!). So I'm not sure if the missing features will impact me as much.

Even better in that case. I've already read plenty of impressions from die hard fans so at least yours will be from a fresh perspective.

Goldenhen

The Sims 4 run really well compare to The Sims 3. i'm starting to believe The Sims 4 engine is multicore capable as it use 60% CPU power over 4 cores according to Task Manager.

atomico

Played like 2 hours, so far I've seen some really annoying bugs:

Game doesn't clear the "At work" state when you return home, so the entire bottom right panel remains grayed out (can't access Needs, Inventory, etc). Quitting the game didn't fix it. Quitting work did, tho.

And my favorite: Can't pay bills. Sim got them from the mailbox, they're on his inventory. Clicking "Pay bills" queues the action but it disappears instantly". Fix? Hell if I know. Power and water cut off so far. Moving to another house didn't do jack.

JoeBoy101

My wife wanted me to ask, how do you freely rotate the camera? She can't figure it out and neither can I, lol

In the options, you can choose to make the camera just like Sims 3. In there, just hold down the middle mouse button and move it around. I couldn't figure out how to change camera pitch on Sims 4 camera controls.

RP912 said:

Granted, the tutorials are annoying and just get all in the fucking way, but I'm curious to the lack of content making it boring. I'm not debating it, but I do wonder honestly how 'dating simulator with RPG aspects' doesn't frankly describe the base Sims 3, or even Sims 2 experience.

atomico said:
Played like 2 hours, so far I've seen some really annoying bugs:

Game doesn't clear the "At work" state when you return home, so the entire bottom right panel remains grayed out (can't access Needs, Inventory, etc). Quitting the game didn't fix it. Quitting work did, tho.

And my favorite: Can't pay bills. Sim got them from the mailbox, they're on his inventory. Clicking "Pay bills" queues the action but it disappears instantly". Fix? Hell if I know. Power and water cut off so far. Moving to another house didn't do jack.

Not to laugh at your misfortune but that second one is funny. I haven't hit bugs THAT bad yet, but have had what I would call a 'reset' a couple of times where two sims will be talking or doing something else, then they appear in different locations on the lot with their queue's cleared.

That and their 'dicking around with eating their meal' shit is starting to get on my nerves too. Stop posting photos of your meal and EAT!

inky

Pff all these 'Muricans crossing the border and taking our jobs games. :p

Can't deny that is one policy where EA is superior to other online storefronts. Although a lot of people believe the recent change from charging MXN to USD means the price disparity will gradually go away.

All that said, I'm glad people can at least take advantage of it now regardless of where they are. $60 for PC EA games is a fucking crime.

JoeBoy101

Pff all these 'Muricans crossing the border and taking our jobs games. :p

Can't deny that is one policy where EA is superior to other online storefronts. Although a lot of people believe the recent change from charging MXN to USD means the price disparity will gradually go away.

All that said, I'm glad people can at least take advantage of it now regardless of where they are. $60 for PC EA games is a fucking crime.

Not defending them, but pointing out for other people's benefit that they do have the 24 hour return policy now. Minor step, but it is a step. Wish they had that for Crysis 2 *sigh*.

Ibuki

Banned
I don't see how Origin allows people to take advantage of the better price. They have to be losing money don't they?

In Mexican money I reckon it'll be worth it despite the bummers. EA wants more than twice as much on Swedish Origin. They cray.
Unlocks at midnight tonight here. I think? That's what "4th september 00.00" means right?

Top Bottom