• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Sims 4 |OT| Behold its true form and despair!

red731

I've never played a Sims game before--never really had the interest. But I'm sitting here watching Spamfish play the game in his ongoing quest to hook up with Lara Croft and it's really making me want to pull the trigger. Should I do it?

I jumped in last midnight due to hilarious Lirik stream. Elhoime and Boogie didn't help that decision any less.

Accidentally made Putin.

Unz71oi.jpg

So I went with it.

WMaARj2.jpg

Made him aspire to be Fabulously Wealthy with Self-Assured, Ambitious, and Evil traits. Hahahaha

Delio

The gimping of baby stage is fine, that was always the worst part about The Sims. The less of it, the better. But I am thoroughly disappointed about the lack of the toddler stage. You guys are pushing me to buy it, but I don't want to spend the cash on it! Even for $35!

Austin I got weak and picked it up ;_; Ah well it's at a heavy discount so im okay with that.

Thanks for the Mexican internet trick guys.

JoeBoy101

Now that a bit of time has passed, how does this game compare to Sims 2?

Definitely more comparable to Sims 2 than Sims 3. Your mileage with that will depend on your opinions between 2 and 3.

My biggest issue with Sims 2, and was added in 3, was the story progression. Its been gimped in 4, but at least other Sims age with yours and you can have dead Sims replaced with new ones automatically and have an option on whether empty houses get filled with townies.

Better than 2? Not sure, but if we're talking base game to base game, I'm thinking yes. Justified for a $60 price tag? I dunno. That takes more time.

skele7on said:
so hows the game hold up?

Honestly?

Its no home run, for sure. The stuff missing is missing. Question is whether you can handle/see past that, or if its too much of an issue. And I don't mean to make that sound like its minimizing the concerns. That's a serious removed feature list in the OP. Its not bothering me, so I'm really enjoying it, but I'm still leery about when the content dropoff hits. That said, the game that is there, past the features cut, is fun. The significantly improved on what remains, the only question there, "Is enough remaining?".

$60? Questionable. As' been stated in the thread, this is a great game for the 24 hour return. I didn't buy SimCity, but I recently tried the 2 hour free trial for it and didn't get past 45 minutes. Couldn't get past the tiny ass cities. Those neighborhood maps look tiny in the main map, but they look bigger in game, even if its all props. Hell, it looks more lived in and real to me than Sims 3, even if you can't interact with all of it.

Again I stress two things:

1) If content is a big concern, stick with Sims 3 or 2. The expansions just make them way bigger in reality. We talk base game vs. base game, but the reality is $60 in Sims 3 or 2 gets you expansions. It just gets you the base game of Sims 4.

2) Again, the 24 hour return, which on the catalog page, they state the game is eligible for.

All that said, I gave it 6-7 hours after I bought it and didn't think about returning it. Maybe my expectations were so dismal that I was so happily surprised that its decent.

To be honest the whole lack of content thing is more like a perception than an actual fact. This game easily has the most content out of all four base games.

For example, in build/buy mode the Sims 4 pretty much doubled the number of unique objects in every category compared to the Sims 3 base game.

Object count for some items

Showers & Tubs: 7 (TS3); 18 (TS4)
Wall lamps: 7; 18
Computers : 3; 9
TVs: 5; 9
Desks: 5; 11
Bookshelves: 9; 16
Windows: 26; 57
Indoor plants: 19; 44
Dressers: 6; 12
Rugs: 12; 42

I think that's a fair point, but are you counting re-colors? Like, with Create-A-Style in TS3 you could almost make an infinite number of color / texture permutations of any base object; since TS4 seems to go back to the "Maxis recolors only" model of the Sims 2, you kind of need more copies and styles of objects (windows, computers, etc.) to try to make up for the lack of customization since Create-A-Style is gone.

Yeah, The Sims 4 may be missing a lot of features, but for the features it does have, it tends to have more content for them.

For example:

The Sims 3 Base Game:

1) Old Timey Tele (§200, 1x1, Fun 3)
2) Channel Trowler 27 Deluxe TV (§500, 1x1, Fun 4)
3) ÜberVision Panoramic from Landgraab Industries (§1,200, 1x1, Fun 4)
4) 36 HiFi Plasmondo TV from Landgraab Industries (§3,500, 2x1, Fun 6)
5) WallVuu Standard TV (§8,000, 2x1, Fun 8)

The Sims 4 Base Game:

1) PenguinVision Children's Television Set ($275, Fun 4, Reliability 3 + Comedy Skill) (6 Colour Combinations)
2) Been There, Watched That TV ($500, Fun 5, Reliability 3) (3 Colour Combinations)
3) Trusty Companion TV ($995, Fun 5, Reliability 5) (3 Colour Combinations)
4) InstaVision Flat-Panel Television ($1,475, Fun 6, Reliability 5) (2 Colour Combinations)
5) InvisiView Flat Panel Tabletop TV ($2,500, Fun 7, Reliability 8) (3 Colour Combinations)
6) InvisiView Flat-Screen HDTV ($2,600, Fun 7, Reliability 8) (3 Colour Combinations)
7) GeniusVision Flat-Screen Television ($3,400, Fun 8, Reliability 8) (3 Colour Combinations)
8) GeniusVision Wall-Mount TV) ($3,500, Fun 8, Reliability 8) (3 Colour Combinations)
9) Plasmatron 3000 Flat Screen TV ($8,500, Fun 10, Focusing Decor 9, Unbreakable) (Unlock by reaching level 10 of the Tech Guru career)

JoeBoy101

I feel like Mexican Internet should be a meme. I imagine a computer with a sombrero on it.

Does Origin even have an 'offline mode'?

I believe it does, yes, but you do need to be online the first time running it to authenticate it.

allftw

Neo Member
I just bought the game for my brother. I guess I'll try it as well tonight. There aren't any restrictions to downloading a game to more than one computer on Origin right?

http://www.reddit.com/r/titanfall/comments/1z9npl/guide_how_to_use_a_vpn_to_unlock_titanfall_early

I am VPN'd to some US server, net to crawl, but am playing the game for like 6 hours without problem. Do it if you don't want to wait.

I don't think you have to be connected to VPN after you launch the game. So just disconnect if your net's running too slow. I've got all past Origin games running like that no problem.

Edit: Well, beaten.

Playing this on a friend's PC, the UI is leagues ahead of 3. Much cleaner and snappier, and scales better with higher resolutions. Loading times are incredibly quick, and performance is smooth, though I'm guessing that's partly to do with the barely evolved graphics and lack of open world. Real test now is how much they fuck up loading times and performance with the expansions. Sims 3 is horribly unoptimized, often taking several minutes just to load up with several expansions installed.

red731

I just bought the game for my brother. I guess I'll try it as well tonight. There aren't any restrictions to downloading a game to more than one computer on Origin right?

I don't think you have to be connected to VPN after you launch the game. So just disconnect if your net's running too slow. I've got all past Origin games running like that no problem.

Edit: Well, beaten.

Yeah, man. Already turner on offline mode and turned VPN client off :)
But I wasn't even on the net while playing, just chatting on FB when suddenly....

Necrovex

Austin I got weak and picked it up ;_; Ah well it's at a heavy discount so im okay with that.

Thanks for the Mexican internet trick guys.

I am seriously considering it too. It'll be hard not to buy it when I get home from work. :'-(

Grizzo

I have a question about the game: can you go outside, like in shops, gyms or cafes from the get-go or do we have to wait for an expansion disc that will come out later on?

Because I'm watching some guy streaming it on Twitch and he still hasn't set one foot outside of his house (it's been an hour now). It's almost starting to feel like a glorified version of the very first Sims game released 14 years ago.

Sub Zero

his body's cold as ice, but he's got a heart of gold
I have a question about the game: can you go outside, like in shops, gyms or cafes from the get-go or do we have to wait for an expansion disc that will come out later on?

Because I'm watching some guy streaming it on Twitch and he still hasn't set one foot outside of his house (it's been an hour now). It's almost starting to feel like a glorified version of the very first Sims game released 14 years ago.

You can, it's just not fully open world like TS3. It's more like TS3 for consoles

There are gyms, libraries, bars and such. You have to go through a menu and load the locations though. After you choose the venue the game will load it and transport your Sim there. You can't travel seamlessly like in The Sims 3 anymore, and sometimes it can feel a little isolated gameplay-wise.

JoeBoy101

What Sub-Zero said. You can go around in all the public areas of a neighborhood, but anything in a specific lot, like someone's house, and you have to travel, which means a loading screen.

Avixph said:
Here is a link to the game's "cheat codes".

Him, the 'shift-clicking' cheats weren't working when I tried them last night. Will try again.

Rizzi

I'm all for putting things behind load screens if it makes the game actually run decently.
Sims 3 ran like garbage.

Mexican Internet what?

So what is this process? I'd rather pay $35 than $60 if I had to, though I might not but how does this work?

Is the game in Spanish or English? Does anyone know any draw backs from this method?

So I'm pretty much in the final step of checkout but I just wanted to be sure, the checkout forms themselves are still in Spanish. Is this what you all experienced or am I going to get a foreign key?

Kccitystar

Are the specs similar to The Sims 3? I'm planning on buying this for my girlfriend, whose a huge Sims gal, but I'm not sure if it can run, since CanYouRunIt says it can't, although she can run Sims 3 with no problems on her machine. Any help would be appreciated :)

eosos

Banned
Mexican Internet what?

So what is this process? I'd rather pay $35 than $60 if I had to, though I might not but how does this work?

Is the game in Spanish or English? Does anyone know any draw backs from this method?
I assume you use a vpn and then make an origin account.

So I'm pretty much in the final step of checkout but I just wanted to be sure, the checkout forms themselves are still in Spanish. Is this what you all experienced or am I going to get a foreign key?

That's how it was for me. I'm downloading now using English Origin without a vpn turned on.

Grizzo

You can, it's just not fully open world like TS3. It's more like TS3 for consoles

There are gyms, libraries, bars and such. You have to go through a menu and load the locations though. After you choose the venue the game will load it and transport your Sim there. You can't travel seamlessly like in The Sims 3 anymore, and sometimes it can feel a little isolated gameplay-wise.

What Sub-Zero said. You can go around in all the public areas of a neighborhood, but anything in a specific lot, like someone's house, and you have to travel, which means a loading screen.

Him, the 'shift-clicking' cheats weren't working when I tried them last night. Will try again.

Alright thank you guys!

It reminds me of how The Sims: Bustin' Out worked on Gamecube. Well, if it helps make the game run better like some of you said, then I guess it's a fair trade.

I assume you use a vpn and then make an origin account.

Make? What if you already have one?

So many questions. I'm not sure about doing this. I get the vpn steps but I'm concerned about the other half like the language of the game, and if it's eligible for updates etc?

Make? What if you already have one?

So many questions. I'm not sure about doing this. I get the vpn steps but I'm concerned about the other half like the language of the game, and if it's eligible for updates etc?

you don't have to make a new account. I think you just turn off the vpn on the last step of the check out.

The way it works (I think) is that it's the same store worldwide but it offers regional pricing. You then add the product (same product as everybody) but with a different price. The game is now in your list of games.

The way Origin works out if you are downloading the english or spanish client is because of your settings and not your region, if that weren't the case then I would have downloaded the spanish version of sims and battlefield and everything else.

This is just guessing though, based on my (limited) experience with this.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.

Mine was like that, though I never took the VPN off. Still worked fine.

Are the specs similar to The Sims 3? I'm planning on buying this for my girlfriend, whose a huge Sims gal, but I'm not sure if it can run, since CanYouRunIt says it can't, although she can run Sims 3 with no problems on her machine. Any help would be appreciated :)

Sims 4 Minimum Specs:

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E4300 or AMD Athlon 64 X2 4000+ (2.0 GHz Dual Core required if using integrated graphics)
CPU Speed: Info
RAM: 2 GB
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce 6600 or ATI Radeon X1300 or Intel GMA X4500
Sound Card: Yes
Free Disk Space: 10 GB

Sims 4 Recommended Specs:

CPU: Intel Core i5-750 or AMD Athlon X4
CPU Speed: Info
RAM: 4 GB
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650 or better
Sound Card: Yes
Free Disk Space: 10 GB