• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Sims 4 |OT| Behold its true form and despair!

Are they ever?

Smartass answer aside, not really. Couple of hat options and some tiki bar stuff and a laser show. Not really worth it.

I decided to go without it. Despite feeling there's no way the additions could be worth the money and despite knowing that if I get the standard edition I wouldn't even be aware of what I was missing, the whole point I took advantage of the Mexican price was because I'm only willing to pay as little as possible for this game.

RP912

Banned
In the options, you can choose to make the camera just like Sims 3. In there, just hold down the middle mouse button and move it around. I couldn't figure out how to change camera pitch on Sims 4 camera controls.

Granted, the tutorials are annoying and just get all in the fucking way, but I'm curious to the lack of content making it boring. I'm not debating it, but I do wonder honestly how 'dating simulator with RPG aspects' doesn't frankly describe the base Sims 3, or even Sims 2 experience.

Not to laugh at your misfortune but that second one is funny. I haven't hit bugs THAT bad yet, but have had what I would call a 'reset' a couple of times where two sims will be talking or doing something else, then they appear in different locations on the lot with their queue's cleared.

That and their 'dicking around with eating their meal' shit is starting to get on my nerves too. Stop posting photos of your meal and EAT!

The Sims 3 and 2 had more of alot going for itself to take away that concept. Sims 3 it was all about exploring a town and eventually having a family which truly shines on that game compared to sims 4 where it seems pointless since you can't do much with the baby. Sims 2 was a brand new experience coming from the original sims. The concept of growing old, having a family tree, and other activities takes away from just plain dating and woohooing which I'm getting from the sims 4.

Bottom line with all of the features gone, no strength on families, and even no where to go but four places and some houses....its a dating sim with rpg aspect. There's nothing mindblowing about this game at all except maybe how easy it is to create a sim/house.

Obviously there's going to be expansion packs that will be overpriced for the sake of keeping legs on this game.

krpiper

How is the performance? My laptop ran TS3 pretty poorly (which doesnt sound like I am alone)?

i7-2630QM
540m
8 GB of RAM

JoeBoy101

The Sims 3 and 2 had more of alot going for itself to take away that concept. Sims 3 it was all about exploring a town and eventually having a family which truly shines on that game compared to sims 4 where it seems pointless since you can't do much with the baby. Sims 2 was a brand new experience coming from the original sims. The concept of growing old, having a family tree, and other activities takes away from just plain dating and woohooing which I'm getting from the sims 4.

Bottom line with all of the features gone, no strength on families, and even no where to go but four places and some houses....its a dating sim with rpg aspect. There's nothing mindblowing about this game at all except maybe how easy it is to create a sim/house.

Obviously there's going to be expansion packs that will be overpriced for the sake of keeping legs on this game.

Only thing I'll argue there is the removal of the Toddler stage is far more serious than the gimping of the baby stage. The Baby stage in Sims 3 was almost entirely just managing their needs, with the occasional social interaction. Generations gave more options. The toddler stage had far more to do and learn there. There are other things to do from dating like making money, hobbies, collecting, skills etc., but yeah, the family aspect of it is suffering as its weaker than Sims 2 and 3.

How is the performance? My laptop ran TS3 pretty poorly (which doesnt sound like I am alone)?

i7-2630QM
540m
8 GB of RAM

Not sure how it will do, but there is an option for a laptop mode. That and the specs are less than Sims 3. Can't promise it will run 'well' but it will run better than TS3.

krpiper

Not sure how it will do, but there is an option for a laptop mode. That and the specs are less than Sims 3. Can't promise it will run 'well' but it will run better than TS3.

I was able to get it to run at 60-ish frames, in like a windowed mode :p and all settings on low.

How do saves work in the game? Are saves just the state of the Worlds? Like if there are 2 saves on the same computer, they wouldn't interact? Except for the Gallery where everything is shared, right? I think we're going to play the same save but I'm still curious how it works. I don't want to mess around with stuff in game because of fear I might delete progress.

Aaron D.

How do I use this Mexican Internet you speak of

Download and install Hola Better Internet. After visiting origin.com press the icon of the plugin on the top right of your browser and switch to Mexico. Add the game to your cart and proceed to checkout. When it asks you to login with your Origin account, turn off the VPN, login and buy the game with the Mexican price

Took all of 2 minutes to process from start to finish.

RP912

Banned
Only thing I'll argue there is the removal of the Toddler stage is far more serious than the gimping of the baby stage. The Baby stage in Sims 3 was almost entirely just managing their needs, with the occasional social interaction. Generations gave more options. The toddler stage had far more to do and learn there. There are other things to do from dating like making money, hobbies, collecting, skills etc., but yeah, the family aspect of it is suffering as its weaker than Sims 2 and 3.

True about the baby stage. Half of the time the baby held his own rather than a toddler who needs supervision left and right.

As far as the dating part of the sims 4, there's some advantages like the objectives which is a plus, yet I hate the idea because it starts coming off like a game than a sim which I want out of the sims. On the plus side, it's easier to level up compared to the past sims games where you have to take a day off just to bring up logic.

Saganator

How do I use this Mexican Internet you speak of

Download and install Hola Better Internet. After visiting origin.com press the icon of the plugin on the top right of your browser and switch to Mexico. Add the game to your cart and proceed to checkout. When it asks you to login with your Origin account, turn off the VPN, login and buy the game with the Mexican price

Takes 30 seconds, 1 minute if you don't have Chrome. Sub Zero is the man.

Necrovex

The gimping of baby stage is fine, that was always the worst part about The Sims. The less of it, the better. But I am thoroughly disappointed about the lack of the toddler stage. You guys are pushing me to buy it, but I don't want to spend the cash on it! Even for $35!

Shahadan

Are you guys putting your real adress and real country during the payment?
Anyway I feel dirty for trying to buy it, fortunately the mexican trick didn't work for me. I'm safe for now.

Ibuki

Banned
I payed 68 for the physical premium edition. I don't feel I've been ripped off at all. The extra digital content isn't anything too crazy, but I really liked the packaging and little booklet that came with it. The soundtrack is also a bonus. I don't see how anyone could possibly feel ripped off paying 35 for this.

Paying $37 and some change for this through the Mexican internet is the absolute most I was willing to spend but it feels like it should be worth it. If ONLY for mod support adding content. I will not be swindled into shelling out hundreds of dollars on expansion packs that charge you for the luxury of pools. I'm glad I got it through these slightly shady means if only to give the tiniest "fuck you" to EA.

Zona

Darn you Mexican internet! Your sweet, sweet discount and my poor impulse control means I just hit the switch on this. Downloading now but I have to head to work soon. I'll post impressions later.

Saganator

Will this get us in trouble with EA?

Asking the wrong person. I was never going to pay $60 for this game. I was planning on getting it for free the next time EA fucks up, like I did for Sims 3. They got money out of me for something I never planned on giving them money for.

The Mexican Internet trick isn't working for me. After I turn off the VPN it shows my cart as empty =\ (US btw)

EDIT: do I switch to US VPN or turn it off? If I turn it off it still shows Mexican site but cart still shows 34.99

The Mexican Internet trick isn't working for me. After I turn off the VPN it shows my cart as empty =\ (US btw)

You have to already be in the process of checking it out where it asks you to input your Origin ID. Then you turn the VPN off and follow the rest of the process.

EDIT: Yes, turn it off and proceed through the Mexican site.

red731

So I just played for five hours straight....
This is my first Sims game and boy, when you are working you really don't have time for anything else!

Why did I choose the job I have choosen - I choose poorly...

You have to already be in the process of checking it out where it asks you to input your Origin ID. Then you turn the VPN off and follow the rest of the process.

That is where I'm at. It's asking for my Origin ID. I turned off the VPN and it still is showing the Mexican site...is that how it should be?

EDIT: OK lol thx.
EDIT 2: And bought! lol

kvothe

Serious Question:

Could using the Mexican Internet exploit potentially lock me out of my Origin account permanently? Does it violate the ToS?

Serious Question:

Could using the Mexican Internet exploit potentially lock me out of my Origin account permanently? Does it violate the ToS?

Eh I dunno but I swear I remember people doing it with other games in the past. EA also never did anything when people were getting shit tons of free games from them.

Ibuki

Banned
Serious Question:

If it does there are going to be a lot of angry customers. I hope it doesn't I want all you bros/bras to enjoy Sims 4 still. :(

So I just played for five hours straight....
This is my first Sims game and boy, when you are working you really don't have time for anything else!

Why did I choose the job I have choosen - I choose poorly...

Are you talking about your sim or you real life here? :)

JoeBoy101

True about the baby stage. Half of the time the baby held his own rather than a toddler who needs supervision left and right.

As far as the dating part of the sims 4, there's some advantages like the objectives which is a plus, yet I hate the idea because it starts coming off like a game than a sim which I want out of the sims. On the plus side, it's easier to level up compared to the past sims games where you have to take a day off just to bring up logic.

Easier to level up? I must be doing it wrong, because I'm having a helluva time levelling up. Some skills are easier, like Charisma, but others are tougher. I think they gimped level gain from skill books as opposed to level gain from skill use. I like that, but it makes it a bitch to not waste money when raising cooking, for example.

The dating aspect struck me as a direct descendent of Sims 2: Late Night(?) which added Downtown. Its a bit more gaming, but I do like it giving more direction to a social event. I imagine its the same thing when having a party, but just with different goals.

red731

Are you talking about your sim or you real life here? :)

Well after having some week cycles ingame, I must say my Sim has it worse than me
KuGsj.gif

I never knew...that this could be, fun? I am kinda glad I have jumped in!

Ibuki

Banned
Why the fuck did I just buy a game that has been horribly gimped.

What have you guys made me do.

Have you read this thread at all? Everyone has been explaining how many features didn't carry over from Sims 3. It's even in the damn OP...

I've never played a Sims game before--never really had the interest. But I'm sitting here watching Spamfish play the game in his ongoing quest to hook up with Lara Croft and it's really making me want to pull the trigger. Should I do it?

Ibuki

Banned
I've never played a Sims game before--never really had the interest. But I'm sitting here watching Spamfish play the game in his ongoing quest to hook up with Lara Croft and it's really making me want to pull the trigger. Should I do it?

I've dabbled but never really played a Sims game in depth before this. I'm not dissapointed and I played from when I got off work until I went to bed last night. Take that for what you will.

The streams that I have been watching help make the game seem not as bad as I thought it was (I still find it stripped from content), and $35 on Mexican Origin has me almost over the edge...
If I do cave in to this price, I probably won't feel too bad about buying it at launch since all I had as an expansion for Sims 3 was Supernatural.

Lot order goes from left to right unless otherwise stated

Willow Creek Neighborhood:

Lot 1: Municipal Muses - Museum
Lot 2: The Blue Velvet - Nightclub
Lot 3: Movers & Shakers - Gym
Lot 4: Willow Creek Archive - Library

Lot 5: Magnolia Blossom - Park

Lot 6: Cypress Terrace - $257,022, 40x30, 5 Bed, 4 Bath (Occupied by the Spencer-Kim-Lewis family) - Residential
Lot 7: Oakenstead - $261,153, 50x50, 4 Bed, 3 Bath - Residential

Lot 8: Umbrage Manor - $176,277, 40x30, 3 Bed, 2 Bath - Residential (Left)
Lot 9: Parkshore - $107,906, 40x30, 4 Bed, 3 Bath - Residential (Bottom)
Lot 10: Hallow Slough - $5,500, 30x20, Empty Lot - Residential (Top)
Lot 11: Ophelia Villa - $254,721, 30x20, 3 Bed, 3 Bath (Occupied by the Goth family) - Residential (Right)
Lot 12: Riverside Roost - $41,704, 30x20, 2 Bed, 2 Bath - Residential (Bottom Left)
Lot 13: Brook Bungalow - $97,376, 40x30, 3 Bed, 2 Bath - Residential (Top Left)
Lot 14: Pique Hearth - $132,690, 30x20, 2 Bed, 2 Bath (Occupied by the BFF Family) - Residential (Bottom Middle)
Lot 15: Rindle Rose - $36,774, 20x15, 2 Bed, 1 Bath - Residential (Bottom Right)
Lot 16: Potters Splay - $2,500, 30x20, Empty Lot - Residential (Top Right)

Lot 17: Crick Cabana - $13,663, 20x15, 2 Bed, 1 Bath - Residential (Top Left)
Lot 18: Streamlet Single - $15,965, 20x15, 1 Bed, 1 Bath - Residential (Bottom Left)
Lot 19: Daisy Hovel - $16,421, 30x20, 1 Bed, 1 Bath - Residential (Middle Left)
Lot 20: Bargain Bend - $2,000, 30x20, Empty Lot - Residential (Bottom Right)
Lot 21: Garden Essence - $64,364, 40x30, 3 Bed, 1 Bath (Occupied by the Pancakes family) - Residential (Top Right)

Oasis Springs Neighborhood:

Lot 22: The Futures Past - Museum
Lot 23: The Solar Flare - Lounge
Lot 24: Burners & Builders - Gym
Lot 25: Rattlesnake Juice - Bar

Lot 26: Granada Place - $120,150, 30x20, 3 Bed, 3 Bath - Residential (Left)
Lot 27: Sultry Springside - $147,835, 30x20, 4 Bed, 3 Bath (Occupied by the Caliente Family) - Residential (Bottom)
Lot 28: Arid Ridge - $5,500, 40x30, Empty Lot - Residential (Top)
Lot 29: Rio Verde - $176,637, 40x30, 5 Bed, 4 Bath - Residential (Right)

Lot 30: Desert Bloom - Park

Lot 31: Vista Quarry - $48,718, 30x20, 2 Bed, 1 Bath - Residential (Top Left)
Lot 32: Raffia Quinta - $39,122, 20x15, 2 Bed, 2 Bath - Residential (Bottom Left)
Lot 33: Springscape - $64,973, 30x20, 3 Bed, 2 Bath - Residential (Top Right)
Lot 34: Dusty Turf - $3,500 - 30x20, Empty Lot - Residential (Bottom Center)
Lot 35: Cacti Casa - $75,026 - 40x30, 4 Bed, 3 Bath (Occupied by the Roomies Family) - Residential (Bottom Right)

Lot 36: Sandtrap Flat - $17,032, 30x20, 1 Bed, 1 Bath - Residential (Top Left)
Lot 37: Nookstone - $13,064, 20x15, 1 Bed, 1 Bath - Residential (Bottom Left)
Lot 38: Slipshod Mesquite - $25,594, 40x30, 1 Bed, 1 Bath - Residential (Occupied by the Zest Family) (Top Right)
Lot 39: Pebble Burrow - $1,500, 30x20, Empty Lot - Residential (Bottom Middle)
Lot 40: Agave Abode - $18,409 - 20x15, 1 Bed, 1 Bath - Residential (Bottom Right)

Lot 41: Yuma Heights - $314,628 - 40x30, 4 Bed, 4 Bath - Residential
Lot 42: Affluista Mansion - $228,639 - 50x50, 2 Bed, 3 Bath - Residential (Occupied by the Landgraab Family)

Total:

32 Residential Lots (26 Houses, 6 Empty Lots)
10 Non-residential Lots (2 Parks, 2 Gyms, 2 Museums, 1 Nightclub, 1 Lounge, 1 Bar, 1 Library)

42 Total Lots

8 Premade families:

1) Landgraab Family - $313,639
2) Spencer-Kim-Lewis Family - $312,522
3) Goth Family - $300,221
4) Caliente Family - $176,335
5) Pancakes Family - $152,690
6) Roomies Family - $89,026
7) BFF Family - $73,364
8) Zest Family - $29,184

9 Lot Types:

1) Bar