• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Sly Collection |OT| Fly Cooper: Band of Deeds

epmode

Y'know, as much as I'm going to buy the hell out of that Ico collection, this HD classics stuff still seems incredibly cynical after Sony dropped PS2 support from the PS3. I guess this is a little better than regular emulation through..

Massa

epmode said:
Y'know, as much as I'm going to buy the hell out of that Ico collection, this HD classics stuff still seems incredibly cynical after Sony dropped PS2 support from the PS3. I guess this is a little better than regular emulation through..

It's not a "little" better, it's significantly better.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
epmode said:

As someone who has a b/c enabled PS3... I'm still double dipping on these HD converts. Normal b/c upscaling just isn't as good or crisp on a HDTV. And in the case of the Sly Collection I never played those games on PS2 so I'll be playing them for the first time. If a Metal Gear or Final Fantasy set gets released though, I'll buy immediately.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Kagari said:
As someone who has a b/c enabled PS3... I'm still double dipping on these HD converts. Normal b/c upscaling just isn't as good or crisp on a HDTV.

++ Achievements.
I'M A CONSUMER ACHIEVEMENT WHORE!

epmode

Massa said:
It's not a "little" better, it's significantly better.
I don't care about trophies. Some slightly sharper textures and a possible FOV/widescreen fix (with a stretched HUD) doesn't seem like it's worth $40 when I already own the games and a computer that can run them at 2560x1600.

edit: Yeah, if my only option was PS3 backwards compatibility I'd definitely be more excited.

Massa

epmode said:
I don't care about trophies. Some slightly sharper textures and a possible FOV/widescreen fix (with a stretched HUD) doesn't seem like it's worth $40 when I already own the games and a computer that can run them at 2560x1600.

edit: Yeah, if my only option was PS3 backwards compatibility I'd definitely be more excited.

I don't care at all about trophies, see Kagari's post. :)

Of course if you have a PC cable of emulating PS2 games and don't mind the occasional hiccup then by all means go with that instead. However, if the alternative is running these games with terrible image quality on HDTV's and not so optimal frame rate, then the difference is significant.

An-Det

I have my $20 credit at Kmart ready and waiting for this on Tuesday. I have never played any of the Sly Cooper games before so I'm quite excited about it.

Bebpo

Banned
Never played any of them besides renting the first one and playing an hour or to max. Looking forward to finally giving the series a fair shake. They should do a Ratchet collection too; since I never played any the ones before the PS3 games :p

Very happy the games are 60fps going by the OP. I remember the first footage of this collection looked a bit early and seemed 30fps.

bridegur

Bebpo said:
They should do a Ratchet collection too; since I never played any the ones before the PS3 games :p

If you've played the two PS3 Ratchet games, you've essentially played every other Ratchet game. They're good, but they're also pretty formulaic. I would like to see a Jak collection, however.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Bebpo said:
Very happy the games are 60fps going by the OP. I remember the first footage of this collection looked a bit early and seemed 30fps.

There were a few articles like the IGN E3 impressions that have claimed 60fps but I guess we'll find out for sure pretty soon.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
bridegur said:
If you've played the two PS3 Ratchet games, you've essentially played every other Ratchet game. They're good, but they're also pretty formulaic. I would like to see a Jak collection, however.

I'd argue that Up Your Arsenal and a new HD-rev of that game's online multiplayer would be sick.

(just dreamin' here... if you want to get more HD collections, keep buying the ones they put out)

Can't wait for the Sly collection though.

Gassey

Banned
Amazing games. I don't think the first one has held up a well over time. For those new to the series, make sure you dip your toes into Sly 2.

KZObsessed

jstevenson said:
I'd argue that Up Your Arsenal and a new HD-rev of that game's online multiplayer would be sick.

(just dreamin' here... if you want to get more HD collections, keep buying the ones they put out)

Will do!

I'll be buying Sly, PoP and Ico&SotC. :)

R&C would be a great collection, the PS2 versions also run in slow motion on EU BC PS3s.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I would be down with a Ratchet collection, since I never played them on PS2. I'd like to play a few of them.

If anyone from Insomniac is reading this (unlikely), you guys should totally do it.

Peff

Gassey said:
Amazing games. I don't think the first one has held up a well over time. For those new to the series, make sure you dip your toes into Sly 2.

Huh? The first one is a fantastic Crash-like platformer, easily one of the best too. Sure it's easy, short, and the mini-games aren't anywhere near as good as the actual levels, but while it lasts it's great. There's always the Master Thief Sprints to unlock the in-game commentary too. I really like them all, but I definitely missed the platforming in 2 and particularly 3 which has a ton of mini-games. The whole open world is also not so novel nowadays, but I think people will enjoy the way the missions come together so it feels like a big heist :D

Carl

jstevenson said:

That would be awesome. By the time i got around to hooking my PS2 up to online, no one played UYA online any more! Deadlocked was awesome online though :)

Intend to buy all of the collections announced so far. I'd dig a R&C collection, even though i own all of the Ratchet games.

yencid said:
I really hope sony starts releasing these on PSN from the get go

That'd be awesome, but i don't think they would. Never know though

Love these games, they ooze with style. Can't wait to see them in silky smooth HD. And they're all damn good, the (relatively) no-nonsense platforming from 1, the feeling of orchestrating a heist in 2, s'all good baby.

jstevenson said:

Will do. My 60GB ate it and the stability of my hot fix is dubious. I would love to see the Ratchet series in an HD remix. Going Commando is one of my favourite games of the PS2 generation.

Emitan

outunderthestars said:
Never played the originals, love how nice the games look now. I will totally buy this for $40. :)
Same. I love this type of game, but somehow missed out on these. Can't wait to finally play them.

jstevenson said:

You guys can totally include some variation on the UYA multiplayer with All 4 One!

Hobbun

jstevenson said:

I am excited about the HD collections. Plan to buy the ones coming out, and hope they put out more.

Has PoP even been announced for NA?

dak1dsk1

Banned
I'm prolly the retro minority, but I think I prefer the old graphics. Messy, chaotic, and Sly with a fatter outline. He and the world looked better in lower resolution.

I know it comes out tomorrow in the Us, but does anybody know when it comes out in Canada? All the sites say the 16th, but that date was there long before a release dat was announced.

Hobbun

Just called my local GS and they said they are not getting it in until the 11th. Not sure what that is about since the release is the 9th.

I know the date given is usually one day behind when they receive it due to shipping, but a bit surprised on the two day difference.

jstevenson said:

Sure, I'll buy Sly Collection on the cheap though, I just bought 3 games on the B2G1 at Target and GT5 is gonna take over my life, but MGS Collection would be Day 1, maybe even FF Collection or DQ Collection, though the latter would probably be Japan only if it ever came out.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
shameless bump, but it's officially the day that this releases

I'm sure it'll be a day or two before we see any reviews, there seems to be some new game out tomorrow that everyone else is interested in. I've been scouring the internets for any details or videos that I may have missed, but there isn't much out there. Reviews aren't that important for a collection but I'd like to see some confirmation/denial of the 60fps that was mentioned in a few articles.

oh well, maybe I'm the only one but I'm pretty psyched about picking this up first thing tomorrow (as long as I can find it, god forbid)

TripOpt55

I would so be getting this tomorrow if my PS3 was working. Will pick it up once I get my new PS3. I love these games and am hoping for a Sly sequel one day and more collections too.

Trevelyan

Banned
Snuggler said:
shameless bump, but it's officially the day that this releases

I'm sure it'll be a day or two before we see any reviews, there seems to be some new game out tomorrow that everyone else is interested in. I've been scouring the internets for any details or videos that I may have missed, but there isn't much out there. Reviews aren't that important for a collection but I'd like to see some confirmation/denial of the 60fps that was mentioned in a few articles.

oh well, maybe I'm the only one but I'm pretty psyched about picking this up first thing tomorrow (as long as I can find it, god forbid)

I'm definitely pumped to play this. It's been so long since I've played a good platformer, and for some reason, I always associate the fall/winter season as the best time to play them. I really hope I can find this tomorrow as I have the next 2 days off work, and would love to spend some quality time with the game(s)!

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
good to hear, and thanks for the responses because I'm starting to feel like a crazy person talking to himself in this thread. I think I've posted more in this than everyone else combined. I just loved the first game so I'm hyped about a HD remake and it's a great opportunity to play the sequels. So it's something familiar and something new, a nice combo.

Anyways, I really do hope I can find it in-store tomorrow. I usually don't have to worry about that kind of stuff but sometimes the low profile releases do show up a day late. Unlikely, but if anyone here works in retail you should totally give us the scoop.

Trevelyan

Banned
Nah, definitely not alone. :lol I'm really pumped for this as well and I really hope I can find it in stores tomorrow. gonna have to call all the gamestops in the area after noon!

TripOpt55

Good luck with finding it Snuggler. I'd have to imagine you could find it at Best Buy tomorrow, but I guess you never know. Looking forward to hearing some impressions of how it looks/runs while I wait it out. I beat these all 100% back on PS2, but I'm still looking forward to playing them in HD.

Shurs

I think tomorrow might be the ship date, not the in-store date.

I hope I'm wrong, I'd love to pick it up in the morning.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I have a game I'm selling towards it so I'm depending on gamestop or FYE

I guess I (probably) won't die if I don't play it day 1 but I got the day off and I'm so ready for it

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I'll probably be getting this game in 2 days. At least I have a game that I can fully complete till Ys Chronicles arrives.

I've never seen those games, but I love platformers. Looks really cool, maybe I'll have to pick it up sometime in the future when I'm ignoring the Wii for a while.

Ugh, this day is going to go by so slow. I wish Amazon had release date delivery on this collection, but I guess they couldn't do it. Waiting for Wednesday it is, and I so can't wait. :)

jstevenson said:

New R&C will have competitive multiplayer confirmed??!

Synless

I went to 3 stores tonight looking for this game and no one had it. The workers probably thought I was insane asking for a game not named Call of Duty. I checked online at all of the Best Buy's in my area and they have none in stock either. Last hope is Gamestop.

Alucrid

Banned
I dunno if I should pick this up. I played the first one when it came out but didn't get too far into it...I'm just (unfortunately) not a huge fan of platformers I guess. :(

JohngPR

Amazon is showing that this ships on November 15th. :( WTF?

It also states that they are temporarily out or stock there too for some reason.

Top Bottom