• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Strain S2 |OT| The Thirst Is Real - Sundays 10/9c

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Red Hook, it's time to wheel out the portable generators you surely own.

Setrakian needs to do something smart already or just die. All his fucking dramatic flourishes that are completely and utterly ineffective. You have all kinds of possibilities for an ambush. It's your 'home' and you have all kinds of weaponry at your disposal (hey, remember all those nifty UV gadgets?) and you opt for this? No element of surprise, no smart weapon usage. Just your slow, old ass with a sword and Eph using an antique rifle from significant range. What a recipe for success. Quit with the faux-honor and nobility bullshit. You're engaging in guerrilla warfare with real evil. That bit about him giving Eph grief over the dangers of killing humans was laughably out of touch with reality.

Did the Master and Eichorst really need to "probe" Red Hook's defenses after already shutting down the power? Surely you could see their numbers and general resources, and you know what they lost with the power. I mean, we're talking about people right out in the open, no need throw away the element of surprise to learn that yup, they've got guns. You announced your arrival, giving the councilwoman lots of time to gather bodies for fighting and for people to go deal with the power situation. You attack as closely to taking out the power as possible.

I was annoyed by Nora just standing there while Fet had Kelly on the ground. Like umm, walk out that door and hack up mommy dearest.

Eichorst screwing with Eph about his last name and marriage were fine touches, however.

Nora's gonna move on from Eph because he had a one-night stand with a now deceased woman in DC? Sure, ok.

Also, Vincenzo Natali is directing the last two episodes of the season.
Hopefully he can manage to squeeze something decent out of the show, or at least stage scenes so that the characters appear a little less incompetent than they're written.

Lorcain

The acting during the pep talk scene between Kowalski and councilwoman Feraldo deserves mention for how awful it was. That was soap opera bad.

I like the Eichorst character and don't want to see him die, but come on. He's like a comic book villian narrowly escaping certain death.

I was rooting for Kelly to get Zach, but she failed...again. She needs to get her shit together and level up her vampire skill tree. That was a pathetic attempt. I expect more from her. Maybe she needs a better trainer.

inky

I was rooting for Kelly to get Zach, but she failed...again. She needs to get her shit together and level up her vampire skill tree. That was a pathetic attempt. I expect more from her. Maybe she needs a better trainer.

Was she hitting that heavy acrylic window with a broom stick? I lost it at that part.

Love the new intro.

And LOL at Kelly. Use a goddamn broom stick against that window? What the hell. She was better under the master's control. At least then she had a little bit of bloody common sense.

I don't even know what to say about her using a gun....

And she claimed one of the best characters in the show. Fuck, fuck, fuck.

Loved the big skirmish, hopefully it translate into roaming gangs taking it to the vamps during the day.

Oh man, I laughed my ass off at Eichorst legging it after getting pumped full of bullets. Why Set didn't go for the headshot....

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Carlton Cuse said on Twitter that the opening was commissioned from French artist Remy Gente, but I see evidence that Gente and another artist Edward Delandre had produced a fan motion comic late last year using some of the same art. It seems like it was originally independently done for fun and/or demo use, and then FX/Cuse bought it since the original video's been removed and Gente deleted his old discussions about it. Gente says he's spent some time over the last few weeks on it again, so probably cleaning it up for broadcast and adding in the S2 characters.

I think basically two artists are big fans of the show and made a video, and Cuse liked it and wanted to reward them.

Koriandrr

The lack of Quinlan-Mexican action in this episode was seriously disturbing.
Almost as disturbing as Eph's shooting skills.

iWKad22b.jpg

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
This. Show. Sucks.

wow, the season started promissing, but things kept getting worst from eps to eps. This last eps was it, the shit hit the fan hard.

what a waste of production value and art.

someday

Banned
Did Fet take a worm to the hand while holding Zach's mom? And, well, I just don't know about this anymore. These people can make headshots (better than the police btw) and yet Eichorst gets away. Granted, I think this show needs Eichorst but what a dumb scene.

And what was the point of storming Red Hook? If they wanted Zach so bad why not have everyone converge on the electrical plant when they find out he's there? Or why take 20 vampires at all? Was there some other reason why Red Hook was attacked that I missed?

Carlton Cuse said on Twitter that the opening was commissioned from French artist Remy Gente, but I see evidence that Gente and another artist Edward Delandre had produced a fan motion comic late last year using some of the same art. It seems like it was originally independently done for fun and/or demo use, and then FX/Cuse bought it since the original video's been removed and Gente deleted his old discussions about it. Gente says he's spent some time over the last few weeks on it again, so probably cleaning it up for broadcast and adding in the S2 characters.

I think basically two artists are big fans of the show and made a video, and Cuse liked it and wanted to reward them.

I LIKED THE NEW OPENING. It reminds me of the comics. I think it's brilliant and well done and sorely needed.

Did Fet take a worm to the hand while holding Zach's mom? And, well, I just don't know about this anymore. These people can make headshots (better than the police btw) and yet Eichorst gets away. Granted, I think this show needs Eichorst but what a dumb scene.

And what was the point of storming Red Hook? If they wanted Zach so bad why not have everyone converge on the electrical plant when they find out he's there? Or why take 20 vampires at all? Was there some other reason why Red Hook was attacked that I missed?

Fet avoided the worms, that's why he let Kelly go.

Mindlog

I'll keep watching mainly because this thread is entertaining the hell out of me lol.
You people are great.
Had to be specific. If we had to kill a bottle every time someone got away people would die!

The last few posts have been fun. We basically all feel the same way. The only significant differences are focused on the intro.

A shame we get so little Quinlan/Augustin because they go hard. Problem is the only way they fail is through the other terrible characters or death. The other characters are too busy planning something stupid so no screen time.

I hope kelly captures zach using a trail of candy leading to a box propped up with a stick.

JDSN

Banned
Intro its some shitty Witcher 2 intro rip-off, everybody was shit tonight, except from Nora which had 3 minutes of not being a nanny. Set its just some old asshole that speaks like Christopher Walken, Eph's actor is thinking about how he is gonna launch his movie career with this shit, Fet is thirsty until they kill the other lesbianas.

On the plus side no old people fucking.

Alpende

The new intro is neat, wonder why they introduce it so late in the season though.

I also hope those worms didn't get into Fet, doesn't seem like it.

sirap

Probably the worst episode of the season, which is surprising considering how strong it was. Nothing really happened (not action wise, but plot), and the acting/dialog felt incredibly lazy.

JDSN

Banned
Abraham is a crappy fighter. Better hook up Quinlan if you wanna get some shit done old man.
Everybody its shitty when it comes to team work, Set is a dude that has been fighting this things all his Life and has a bunch of data about it, yet you never see Ephram or Nora showing any interest on his many books, at the same time Set should look up to Ephrams bioweapon value to slow down things and figure out some improvement. Dutch could help do computer stuff to track the book, Fet could go on hunting missions with Nora or use his knowlege on vermin to track down an ideal place to release the bioweapon.

There is just no sense of a relationship between any of the characters aside from Dutch and Fet and that one took a detour until the other girl dies for the crime of being lesbian in a nerd show.

Sanctuary

This show is so goddamn awful. I must have too much free time though, because I've been watching it since the first episode. Zach is probably one of the most unrealistic characters (on a show with vampire like creatures) of any of the shows that I watch too. So one-dimensional, and no kid would get away with the bullshit he gets away with. They claimed to have replaced the original child actor because they wanted someone with "more depth" and to be able to go to the "dark places" he needed to go. But they just replaced a seemingly normal kid with a mega attitude brat who has the same perpetual scowl in just about every shot.

no, they can dig into your skin. but none of the ones on Fet did.

It's because he's a manly-man with manly skin!

Dsyndrome

Oh look, Eichorst got away again.

Zack needs to be fucking shamed every moment for his actions, I don't care about his feelings when he's going to get someone killed. I kept waiting for him to fuck up something this episode.

Lorcain

They really are a terrible, dysfunctional team. Maybe if I watch the show from that point of view it will be more fun. There's the hopefully competent team of Quinlan and Gus, and then there's the bumbling Scooby Doo crew led by...it doesn't matter.

Team Master started very strong, but it's like amateur hour with them now too.

Guys, the worms weren't on Fet. They were coming out of Kelly's wound. I know the episode kinda was meh, but go watch the scene again. Fet saw that shit and let her run off. It was probably the only logical escape in the episode because of that.

someday

Banned
Everybody its shitty when it comes to team work, Set is a dude that has been fighting this things all his Life and has a bunch of data about it, yet you never see Ephram or Nora showing any interest on his many books, at the same time Set should look up to Ephrams bioweapon value to slow down things and figure out some improvement. Dutch could help do computer stuff to track the book, Fet could go on hunting missions with Nora or use his knowlege on vermin to track down an ideal place to release the bioweapon.

There is just no sense of a relationship between any of the characters aside from Dutch and Fet and that one took a detour until the other girl dies for the crime of being lesbian in a nerd show.
This is one of my problems with this season as well. They could be really powerful all together and it seemed like last season was setting this up. Instead it all just seems so disjointed. Eph says he still believes in his bioweapon, but he and Nora haven't done anything with it. Do they even have any left? Did Setrakian or Fet tell the others about the book or Quinlan? Do any of them go on daily vampire kill sprees during the day?

I was also irritated by Eph leaving Nora and Fet with Zach in the factory. He knows Kelly is out for him. He's a terrible father and his awful kid is putting everyone else in danger. And that shitty shitty rifle...You know they had better snipers to choose from.

Hopefully Gus and Quinlan add something good.

Nafai1123

Banned
This show is just so, so bad. I was a little hopeful at the beginning of this season but now I just put it on in the background while I'm browsing the web. The action scenes are straight up laughable at this point.

I still really enjoy the show. It's not Under The Dome levels of bad, but it's still full of so many holes that I can't help laughing each week.

+What was the vamp's 'true power' again? Was it just strength in numbers?

+So many people during that big Red Hook battle should've been infected. So many close ranged shots and worm goo splattering on people. Such a plot device that's largely abandoned until convenient. Remember back in season one how careful they were about how they killed the Stragoi and from what distance? Yeah...that.

+ I'm all for Nora dumping Eph. He's a piece of crap. That said, Fet shouldn't have all the fun!

+ Dunno what's up with me lately. Probably since I'm a father with a daughter now, I'm super sensitive to stuff but certain lines really bugged me. " You look so gay when you do that". "You can't go out there, you're just a girl!" "(to the councilwoman) You lost your balls!"

Making the women more empowered and fully realized would make this show so much more interesting. Then again, I guess they'd have to do that for EVERYONE...which ain't happening.

Koriandrr

+ Dunno what's up with me lately. Probably since I'm a father with a daughter now, I'm super sensitive to stuff but certain lines really bugged me. " You look so gay when you do that". "You can't go out there, you're just a girl!" "(to the councilwoman) You lost your balls!"

Making the women more empowered and fully realized would make this show so much more interesting. Then again, I guess they'd have to do that for EVERYONE...which ain't happening.

I fell ya on that one. But I think it's more about the characters themselves. The lesbian girlfriend is a total waste of air, hate her personality and lack of anything, no idea how anyone could love her.

Because, when it comes to powerful women I'm thinking more Nora and even the vamp mom is a pretty cool character. Determined to get her son.

Chairwoman is a woman in a man's world. And there's a lot of stereotypes there, I mean, the main military guy with her is named KOWALSKI. What did you expect.

ukas

I fell ya on that one. But I think it's more about the characters themselves. The lesbian girlfriend is a total waste of air, hate her personality and lack of anything, no idea how anyone could love her.

Because, when it comes to powerful women I'm thinking more Nora and even the vamp mom is a pretty cool character. Determined to get her son.

Chairwoman is a woman in a man's world. And there's a lot of stereotypes there, I mean, the main military guy with her is named KOWALSKI. What did you expect.

All of the exchanges between the councilwoman and the cop were horrible at best. So many cliches going back and forth between them.

The lesbian triangle is particularly irritating because it's written in such broad strokes. It's like "oh, I'm just a confused girl who doesn't know what to do except for the PASSIONATE AND ANGRY LESBIAN SEX that we have."

Would've been fun to actually make the new girl a real character with 'reasons' for being so fearful, mistrustful, and untrustworthy. Also would've been nice to see why these two are so bonded beyond ANGRY LESBIAN SEX.

FWIW - Angry lesbian sex is a super old cliche. Shocked that it's written into any kind of modern show.

inky

I saw all that stuff as intentionally awkward, not just randomly or tone deaf awkward. And I also don't think that making every woman empowered for the sake of characterization would benefit a show that trades on so many genre tropes. It might make it better drama in general, but more interesting? I think for that it would have to go way beyond having characters with a bit of depth. Lesbian girlfriend should probably have died to the zombie attack instead of saving the day after a few unconvincing words of courage if you ask me.

I do understand that the fact that she is "lesbian girlfriend" and not "interesting character" is the problem in itself for you, but that's stuff that I've come to accept about this show and especially the way GDT's pop genre fiction works. Just like "greedy clergyman" died for his sins and his god didn't save him, lesbian girlfriend, tough policeman, black criminal fence, etc. are vehicles for the more important and developed characters.

I was kind of hoping the "battle of red hook" would be something epic on another level for the show. I haven't read the books, so I don't know how it went down there, but the vampires seemed really dumb. They ran at the fence. Then, they ran at the fence. The Master is basically left holding a giant L as a bunch of average Joes defeated a horde of vampires.

(Not like I won't be watching next week.)

I've liked this season better than the first but that last episode seemed like a huge waste of time. Hopefully things get back on track next week.

Nothus

Did anyone else hear the Cleric Beast scream from Bloodborne when all those vamps were frying after the uv lights came back on?

I swear it was the exact same noise from the game. We know that Del Toro likes his video games, so who knows?

Koriandrr

I was kind of hoping the "battle of red hook" would be something epic on another level for the show. I haven't read the books, so I don't know how it went down there, but the vampires seemed really dumb. They ran at the fence. Then, they ran at the fence. The Master is basically left holding a giant L as a bunch of average Joes defeated a horde of vampires.

(Not like I won't be watching next week.)

I've read the books and I can tell you the TV show is almost nothing like the books. Half of the characters in the show never existed in the books. Hence I find it so fun to watch the show - I've got no clue what's gonna happen.

On a side note - is there an OT for the books?

I've read the books and I can tell you the TV show is almost nothing like the books. Half of the characters in the show never existed in the books. Hence I find it so fun to watch the show - I've got no clue what's gonna happen.

On a side note - is there an OT for the books?

No. There is not. People have just been good about differentiating and occasionally spoiler tagging.

GavinUK86

Forgot to come and post here after the episode but god damn that was an awesome new intro. Where did that come from?!?

To confirm what others said, the worms weren't on Fet's hand as I initially thought. Watching the scene again they were actually on Kelly's hand and were inching closer to him before he let go...if you watch really closely, you can see two worms go flying as she leaps up.

wildfire

Banned
This show continues to be entertaining.

First time I've watched live action a show where both the heroes and villains had plot shields. All the escapes and plot foilings takes me back to GI Joe and Transformers.

Who will end up as the Duke/Optimus Prime sacrifice of this show?

The battle for Red Hook was handled decently considering the constraints of their budget. The only thing I didn't like is that they were defending one chokepoint.

Redhook and further beyond that is a penninsula so it makes sense they can gate off the area BUT that area is huge. They should've acknowledged the multiple chokepoints even if they didn't show it. They even had the opportunity to make a throwaway line asserting that those officers on patrol were reinforcing those other areas.

The individual battles at the power plant and the Scoobies home base were laughable for quite a few reasons.

These guys made head shots every episode after the first and Fet hits Kelly's waistline while she is focused on smashing down a window with a broom stick?
Fet always armed with multiple weapons only option after losing his gun is to do a chokehold with a crowbar instead of trying to go for the head hit while Kelly is distracted again?

Eichorst blitzes Setrakian and leaves for Eph?

It really was amateur hour for everyone except Dutch.

I 'm looking forward t the upcoming episode.

TheOddOne

New episode today:
Season 2: episode 10 "The Assassin"

Eph and Dutch work together to thwart the Master’s greatest ally. Justine runs into trouble with the Mayor while Setrakian tracks down the real owner of the Lumen.

jelly

I thought Eph was deliberately being an awful shot to lead him somewhere for capture or a better kill, guess not. Fet should have stuck the crowbar through her head when she was unaware. Silly stuff.

Top Bottom