• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Strain S2 |OT| The Thirst Is Real - Sundays 10/9c

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Pretty good episode. I'm enjoying this season. Really hoping this mother subplot gets taken cared of very soon. What a snoozer.

finally gets to see the Master being channeled to other vampires.

not a bad episode and the kid part is another 5-10 mins scene which I'm fine with per episode

JDSN

Banned
They are turning this ship around after the terrible first season, good to see Del Toro being more hands on, this quirky stuff does a lot of good for the show. They are still having some issues with Gus, the mom stuff was great, but the restaurant scenes sucked.

And yeah, Eph was about to leave Zack in the batting cages, he knows his son sucks even at baseball.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
And yeah, Eph was about to leave Zack in the batting cages, he knows his son sucks even at baseball.

how can he expect his son to swing a machete if he can barely whip a bat at a ball?

spoiler bet
the boy has to kill his mom and successfully swings a machete at the end of the season

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
Like a lot of stuff Del Toro makes I did not like this show at the beginning, but now it's the only thing I looks forward to on Sunday nights. Well since true detective sucks :/

did anybody else think Gus was going to be related to the wrestler? I thought that was his dad and he went to tell him about what happened to mom. The interaction between them was odd when they first met.

JDSN

Banned
I love how they gave the kid a Vita so the audience could confirm he is a little twat.

Like a lot of stuff Del Toro makes I did not like this show at the beginning, but now it's the only thing I looks forward to on Sunday nights. Well since true detective sucks :/

did anybody else think Gus was going to be related to the wrestler? I thought that was his dad and he went to tell him about what happened to mom. The interaction between them was odd when they first met.

They are both minorities in a horror show, they know one of them has to die eventually.

abuC

That may have been the worst opening to a TV show I've ever seen, and it just kept going and going.

Edit - Can someone explain to me why restaurants are open at night?

That may have been the worst opening to a TV show I've ever seen, and it just kept going and going.

That was one of my favorite things in this whole series. I think the show bounces back and forth between serious and fun and they need to focus on the fun.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
They're still aiming at 5, right? S3 should be when things are getting really... I don't know how to say it - "WTF?"?

It's going to be great.

“Very specifically” by design, The Strain will run five seasons and no more, Cuse made clear. “Season 3 will be 10 episodes, and then Seasons 4 and 5 will be 10 episodes each, and that will be the end,” he said, detailing that Seasons 2 and 3 span del Toro’s second novel, while the final two cycles will cover the third book.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Sepinwall - Can 'The Strain' please explain how bad things are supposed to be in New York?

One of the more confusing aspects of FX's vampire epidemic drama "The Strain" is what the exact state of things is in New York City, how much of the city is actually under siege by the strigoi, and how many ordinary citizens know the nature of the threat the city is under. In some scenes, the city has descended into complete post-apocalyptic dystopia, with strigoi freely roaming the streets, stores looted, and everyone cowering in their homes. In others, life seems to be going on exactly as before, with business being conducted as usual, and even a ribbon-cutting ceremony covered by a familiar crowd of reporters and onlookers. Some civilians are depicted as completely oblivious about this supernatural infestation, while others refer casually to the idea that there are vampires preying on them.

"There is dislocation in New York, but there is not full-scale social demise," explained Carlton Cuse. "It progresses across this season and the next season of the show. There's a lot of willful denial. I think there are people who are trying to go about their lives in New York. It's kind of a mixed bag at this point."

"I think there are different people who believe different things," said Cuse. "I think there are people who believe there are vampires, other people who are discovering there are vampires, other people who are in a state of willful denial."

"It's a matter of days; it's not six weeks of this stuff," del Toro said. "The burning of the buildings is happening on a matter of days. The quarantine is in the city. It's happening very fast. Across 13 episodes, it's the same timeline as 'The Simpsons' years. Why does Bart not age and is 45 and have a drug addiction problem? We have 13 hours of television. That could all be happening in six days, 10 days, 11 days. It's hard to do it without tracking it, 'Day 1, Day 2.' At some point, we contemplated doing that. We thought it would be great to end the first season with buildings burning and saying, 'Day 6.' But we abandoned that. I don't know why."

JDSN

Banned
The last episode did a few good moves in that area, with the bus lady with a bat and people in the street looking rough. But its still mostly shit of throwing ambulances and gunshots and some fake CGI smoke. If the blonde counsilwoman is showing decapitated heads with no one throwing her in jail or getting international attention then it means everybody accepts that the virus turns people into monsters.

someday

Banned
It's really weird. I don't understand how anyone would be going outside at night even with a bat if you know vampires are around. I certainly wouldn't be going to work at night. That just doesn't make sense.

excaliburps

Press - MP1st.com
It's really weird. I don't understand how anyone would be going outside at night even with a bat if you know vampires are around. I certainly wouldn't be going to work at night. That just doesn't make sense.

That's one of the most baffling things. No way o earth that business will work as normal as the show portrays it when there are vampires or any killings that are happening rampantly at night.

Also, what the hell is with the wrestler and what's the connection with Gus? Thought he was Gus' father, which would explain the animosity. But nope, seems like just some dude. Anyone can explain it?

I'm still liking the show so far. Better than vampires with Euro accents and seducing and fucking everything that moves.

TheOddOne

New episode today:
Season 2: episode 5 "Quick and Painless"

Eph changes his appearance to leave the city while Nora is left as the reluctant parent for Zack. Dutch and Nora make a deal with Justine to secure Fet’s release from jail.

Top Bottom