• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Tales of Vesperia |OT|

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I tried the demo. My fears were kinda realized. It looks pretty but feels like the past iterations. Already have Infinite Undiscovery pre-ordered and will have to give this one a whirl when it goes down in price. Love the looks though.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Wish they had gotten into more detail about how it differs from and/or expands upon the mechanics used in Symphonia, then developed further in Abyss.

Still. Sounds awesome. Pity I won't be done with Abyss before it hits. Or, knowing Amazon, I just might... :)

batbeg

The 7.5 sounds justified to me:

However, there's a certain level of detail missing from the world of Tales of Vesperia that makes it seem a bit on the blasé side. Eternal Sonata, another recent Bandai Namco-published Japanese role-playing game, was incredibly rich with visual detail, from the fruit-cluttered tables of the townspeople to the intricate embroidery on the characters' garments. Tales of Vesperia has its graphical details, too, but not to the extent of tri-Crescendo's music-themed effort. Both pull from a similar illustrated cel-shaded anime style, but Vesperia falls short of Sonata's obsessively rendered images. While Vesperia does reflections and water effects well, the lighting and shadows are also somewhat lacking in parts.

A good chunk of that time was spent watching the quick "skits" that punctuate the game. Accessed by the back button, these little vignettes aren't always important to the story but build the relationships among the characters. Unfortunately, they consist of smallish rectangles with semi-static manga-like images of the characters with voiced and subtitled dialogue beneath. The device has been used in past Tales games, but it feels dated and passé on the Xbox 360. With such crisp anime characters running around in a 3D world full of vibrant color, the skits are a bit tough on the eyes.

Darkman M

Ign's video review was nicely done imo , he also said it was a long game that could take 60 hours with no side quest awesome!

Ca't wait for the game trailers HD review hopefully it's out soon.

JSnake

Darkman M said:
Ign's video review was nicely done imo , he also said it was a long game that could take 60 hours with no side quest awesome!

Ca't wait for the game trailers HD review hopefully it's out soon.

Great to hear. My birthday is in little less than a month (September 20th, mark your calenders) so I need a time sink.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
batbeg said:
The 7.5 sounds justified to me:

A good chunk of that time was spent watching the quick "skits" that punctuate the game. Accessed by the back button, these little vignettes aren't always important to the story but build the relationships among the characters. Unfortunately, they consist of smallish rectangles with semi-static manga-like images of the characters with voiced and subtitled dialogue beneath. The device has been used in past Tales games, but it feels dated and passé on the Xbox 360. With such crisp anime characters running around in a 3D world full of vibrant color, the skits are a bit tough on the eyes.
Maybe now Team Symphonia will stop using those tiny boxes with the occasional full portrait showing and start doing all skits like this.

kiryogi

Banned
Jonnyram said:
Just killed the Gigant in Temza five times before I got the item drop, and on the 5th attempt I also got my 100 hit combo. Yay. Am I right in thinking the blast when you start your overlimit includes multiple hits because I somehow hit 100 while setting off my second overlimit while the first one was still in motion.

Heh, I'm sad that my 100 hit combo against the Medua Butterfly failed. Well, I got it and the acchievement, but got killed. Couldn't pull it off again later. Also! Picked up the US Vesperia guide today. Not bad, but it amused me about how it warned the player about the Temza boss gigant about having 110k HP and be careful. Lemme tell ya something! On hard, it has fricken 450k HP at least! And I took that beast down!

jj984jj said:
Maybe now Team Symphonia will stop using those tiny boxes with the occasional full portrait showing and start doing all skits like this.

Well they use full portraits for some actions, but it's part of the Team Symphonia charm and tradition to do them as so. I mean, it's one of the things that differentiates them from Team Destiny.

Neil

I hope to God that I will be able to import the American version and play it on my PAL 360...
I just can't wait until next year :|

jowa

Neil said:
I hope to God that I will be able to import the American version and play it on my PAL 360...
I just can't wait until next year :|
This is Namco... I'm pretty sure all of their 360 games are region locked :(

jowa said:
This is Namco... I'm pretty sure all of their 360 games are region locked :(
Soul Calibur 4 wasn't, so we can only hope this isn't either.ToS and ToTA are 2 of my favourite games.....but me not being able to play this until mid next year would SERIOUSLY put in a dent in my desire for it.

Wow, I completely disagree with the score on the visuals there. Meh, seriously, the skits are optional and are a fan service, the actual landmarks/towns/dungeons in the game are just fricking unbelievable with the detail (there's not a lot of empty space, and even in the distance they're rendering real models for mountains, buildings or whatever). The use of focus effects while moving is a really subtle touch that I thought was great. Some of the areas are just drop dead gorgeous. The anime cutscenes aren't done very well, though, and have frame issues (looks like low production quality), and at two really random points, they mix in CG sequences...which looked amazing, but was sort of out of place.

Another thing not mentioned about the gameplay is the fact it does NOT have to be a fighter. If you suck with the combo system, especially triggering the Overlimit and performing Burst and Arcane artes to perform the epic combos (and it takes skill and practice to pull them off), you will have a hard time beating the game on Normal as Yuri, and kiss Hard goodbye. However, if you shift to Estelle or Rita, the gameplay shifts. Unlike FF XII and Star Ocean: Till the End of Time (other real-time battle systems), monsters do not aggro to a healer or mage if they cast too much. I can't say how many times in FF XII I'd use Curaja to bail out the party and bam the stupid mob agrod to my healer, just like a frickin MMO. This allows the AI to go off on melee, and if you set the strategy right, AI Yuri, Judith or Karol can be devestating. This isn't anything necessarily new to the Tales series, but it's there and allows for several "play styles" to work out.

The synthesis system is also more beneficial this time around - I'd find myself making +1 gear or non-purchasable weaponry/gear as it had a better shelf life than the town market stuff.

And again, the story takes awhile to pick up...not until Danghrest does it get good. But I mean, the characters, though typical Japanese archetypes, are really well developed. As girly as Yuri looks, he's definitely a hard ass and has some cold-as-ice moments that make you question your own ethics (unless you've seen Death Note already and rooted for Light, then this will seem like child's play what Yuri does at points).

The 8.2 was to be expected. Look at IGN's scores for the past two mainstream Tales games.
TotA: 8.3
ToS: 8.5 (Reason being GC)
As well as...
Eternal Sonata: 8.3
Lost Odyssey: 8.2

I personally thought the reviewer had a bit too much ES on the mind. Sure, the game had gorgeous visuals and sound, but I really don't think it has the gameplay to be considered on the same level as Vesperia.

I haven't really kept up with the Premium Edition status, but is it true that this is only available online? I'd prefer not to have to give in to ordering it online. I apologize if this is a frequently asked question.

kiryogi

Banned
The visuals are indeed outstanding. It's just the style Team Symphonia deployed compared to what Tri-Crescendo did. I mean there's tons of little animation details. Like on their clothes and hair, and how the wind reacts to it. There's a lot of weather detail too, as there's constant changing conditions. The lighting isn't half bad either, though I admit the shadows aren't anything fancy. But overall the cities, and towns, are incredibly breathtaking. Massive scale, with lots of little details here and there. This was discussed before, but it's not that it looks worse than Trusty Bell, but it's simply the art style.

A few things since there are no FAQs for this, and I've completed the game and want to unlock some stuff I've seen around. I'll mark the rest as spoilers.

1) Anyone have a guide to unlocking every "title" and "attachment"? Attachments are costume pieces, and I want to get all of those.

2) How do I unlock the past Tales characters in the Colosseum? I don't want to waste my time on pointless battles if possible.

3) Where are the "hidden" bosses if any, and the "ultimate" weapons if they exist. There were these "rock structures" I found around the world that I couldn't enter into - how do I enter those as well.

4) Anyone notice during the manga illustrations in the ending credits, Yuri went back to the spots where he killed Cumore and Ragou? I thought that was a nice touch. Also, I think it's obvious Estelle and Yuri end up together. I mean outside Aurnion that night before the final battle, she basically says she wants to stay with Yuri, and he replies he feels the same way about her.

5) Did anyone think Rita had a crush on Estelle at all? I seriously kept getting that vibe. I half expected Rita to be an epic trap.

Also, took me 32:49 to beat the game on Normal. However, I'm going to level grind like a mofo to earn the 10s of thousands of "Grade" points to carry over EVERYTHING to the EX New Game...I want to try to see how fast I can blaze through this all my things carried over from the start, as well as try to tackle this beast on HARD.

Edit: Hmm...Gonzo had a hand in the animation sequences...I guess an OVA really is gonna happen someday for Vesperia.

kiryogi

Banned
TSA said:
A few things since there are no FAQs for this, and I've completed the game and want to unlock some stuff I've seen around. I'll mark the rest as spoilers.

1) Anyone have a guide to unlocking every "title" and "attachment"? Attachments are costume pieces, and I want to get all of those.

2) How do I unlock the past Tales characters in the Colosseum? I don't want to waste my time on pointless battles if possible.

3) Where are the "hidden" bosses if any, and the "ultimate" weapons if they exist. There were these "rock structures" I found around the world that I couldn't enter into - how do I enter those as well.

4) Anyone notice during the manga illustrations in the ending credits, Yuri went back to the spots where he killed Cumore and Ragou? I thought that was a nice touch. Also, I think it's obvious Estelle and Yuri end up together. I mean outside Aurnion that night before the final battle, she basically says she wants to stay with Yuri, and he replies he feels the same way about her.

5) Did anyone think Rita had a crush on Estelle at all? I seriously kept getting that vibe. I half expected Rita to be an epic trap.

Also, took me 32:49 to beat the game on Normal. However, I'm going to level grind like a mofo to earn the 10s of thousands of "Grade" points to carry over EVERYTHING to the EX New Game...I want to try to see how fast I can blaze through this all my things carried over from the start, as well as try to tackle this beast on HARD.

Edit: Hmm...Gonzo had a hand in the animation sequences...I guess an OVA really is gonna happen someday for Vesperia.

1: Well, I got japanese wikis! http://www26.atwiki.jp/vesperia/pages/32.html#id_894eb915

2: 2nd playthru

3: Sidequests, and ..
After gaining Abyssion from the Myzoro elder, head to the are krea near Nordapolika. Upgrade your sorcery ring to lvl4 there. From that point, the rest of the weapons are hidden behind those obstacles you couldn't get past before in previous areas.

4: The credits are actually side stories, it's never known if they really occur or not. It's been like that in past tales. It's more IF scenarios if anything. Although, it was really neat in Abyss how it showed everyone from birth to present.

5: yes.

Heh, I'm only after
losing RAven and Estelle,
but I'm 60 hours in. Of course, I'm on hard and doing every single sidequest I can in the 1st play. And if normal made you cry, Hard is insane. Of course, there's also UNKNOWN.

And usually various studios are part of certain animation projects. But it should be mainly Production IG for the anime fmv here.

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
Freyjadour said:
I haven't really kept up with the Premium Edition status, but is it true that this is only available online? I'd prefer not to have to give in to ordering it online. I apologize if this is a frequently asked question.

I believe it was mentioned a few pages back but I don't know if it has been confirmed Anyone else know?

I have it preordered on Amazon with one day shipping, so hopefully, it will arrive on Wednesday. (But I'm not counting on it.)

Wizpig

You guys remember that eBay seller we were talking about before the game came out?
He was selling the US version claiming it was region-free, right?
Then the Asian one came out and guess what, it's not region-free.

But what about the US one?
It's odd, but i don't believe that was a scam, since he had like 100% positive feedback... but then again, wasn't that BEFORE Namco postponed the US release?
As i said weeks ago, maybe they did so to region-lock it...?

I can't believe they won't say to us something like: YES IT IS REGION FREE or NO IT IS NOT FUCK YOU EUROPEANS.
Instead, they just leave us here wondering if we have to wait 50 years to play the game.

JSnake

RPGCrazied said:
Wow.. you beat the game in 32hours? wait, I thought this was the longest tales games.. and supposedly 60hours long?

Well he is a professional game reviewer. Maybe he was on a tight deadline and needed to rush through.

Ermac

Darkman M said:
It's online only except for at gamecrazy & Gamestop canada, from what ive heard.

Gamecrazy in the US? Or Gamecrazy in Canada?

Hmm, might have to call up my local Gamecrazy.

Firestorm

Ermac said:
Gamecrazy in the US? Or Gamecrazy in Canada?

Hmm, might have to call up my local Gamecrazy.
GameCrazy in the US. We don't have GameCrazy in Canada. Just EB Games and a few GameStops which recently opened up to replace MusicWorld.

Jonnyram

Considering one of the achievements is "beat the game in less than 15 hours", it's not hard to see there are possibilities on that front. Since you can avoid enemies quite easily, and set the difficulty to easy, it's not too hard to fly through it.

I'm almost 2/3 of the way through at 55hrs, and being pretty thorough. I seem to have gathered a few things I need to do on my second playthrough though. I can't believe they are stingy enough to present you with a synth that you can only do if you haven't already synthed with that (one-off) item earlier >_< Basically you have to synth in the order A>D>B>C but you don't get shown D until much later than B and C have appeared.

ivysaur12 said:
Or he just could have bought levels.

>.>

you can only buy a maximum of 20 lvls through that current downloadable content. Considering the max level is 200, I'm sure, even if he did that, he'd need to raise some levels.

Octagon

Oh, i really would like that =)

Though i should stop worrying about games and
start worrying more about my degree.

ARRR... i hope it's region free.

kiryogi

Banned
Record clear out there last time I checked was 8 hours.

On the font issue, jp Vesperia has font adjust options, but based off what I just heard, looks like they always have taken it out domestically.

RPGCrazied said:
Wow.. you beat the game in 32hours? wait, I thought this was the longest tales games.. and supposedly 60hours long?

Tales of Symphonia took me 34 hours first time through. Final Fantasy XII took me 54 (one of the longest RPGs I ever played). While I was trying to get through, I made sure to indulge in many things, but I did not (per my spoiler tag post) pursue the various side quests first time through. I did spend a lot of time on synthesis and tracking down the chef to get as many recipes as I could.

The most time I've spent on any one game to 100% (and not just replay it from scratch) was Final Fantasy X. I spent 120 hours doing everything in that game, and creating custom ultimate weapons for every character, and redoing the Sphere grid after getting enough Clear Spheres and Luck Spheres to max out every stat to 255.

Ermac

Firestorm said:
GameCrazy in the US. We don't have GameCrazy in Canada. Just EB Games and a few GameStops which recently opened up to replace MusicWorld.

Hm, didn't know that. I'm going to head down there tomorrow to preorder, heck I might even be able to get it, I managed to get FFIV and a few other games on the Monday before they shipped.

matmanx1

Woohoo! Finally beat the demo tonight. Took me 5 tries to get past the Wolf boss. What can I say, I suck.:D

Finishing the demo has me much more psyched for the game's release now that the combat (with Yuri, anyway) has "clicked". I just had to get into a rhythm with the blocking, evasion and combos and even then Yuri ended up dead at the end of the Wolf fight, the rest of the team was able to finish him off. I have a feeling that even with the anime cliches present in ToV, the battle system will keep me entertained for the duration. Bring on the release!

Top Bottom