• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Tales of Vesperia |OT|

Spruchy

ToV doesn't have its director spouting off non sense everywhere, hence less controversy which equals less discussion.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Freyjadour said:
ToV thread has 20% the posts of the Too Human thread :/.

One game is out here, the other isn't. One game has loads of controversy, the other doesn't.

Wizpig

Freyjadour said:
Look, i don't know if there are a lot of Europeans on GAF, but i think so and... in that case, what do you want them to say?

This is like the worst games-related thing ever for Europeans after the release date of Smash Bros. Brawl.
You can't expect lots of replies for a game that comes out in
2009 TBA

But meh, it's probably just because Too Human has a lot of controversy, like others said.
And it's probably because i'm so pissed off that i do replies like this one. sorry.

Freyjadour said:
Well this game is more about the story than a loot game like Too Human. Some of us are trying to not get this game spoiled before its out. I'm sure discussion will speed up a lot on Tues\Wed.

Jonnyram

I'm starting to think this game should be called Tales of FFXII. When I go over the number of similarities in the stories so far, my mind boggles.

Kyoufu

Jonnyram said:
I'm starting to think this game should be called Tales of FFXII. When I go over the number of similarities in the stories so far, my mind boggles.

Is that a good thing or bad thing? I didn't really like FFXII's story after the 10 hour mark.

Jonnyram

Kyoufu said:
Is that a good thing or bad thing? I didn't really like FFXII's story after the 10 hour mark.
It's not a bad thing by any means. There are sufficient differences to distance them, but there are several core plot features that are almost identical. Also, there is no Vaan, thankfully.

Jonnyram

Nose Master said:
There's four free DLC's listed for this on the JPN XBL; what are they?
Starter skill set (for Yuri), starter gumi set, starter skill set (for Estelle) and starter synth set. I downloaded them all but didn't end up using any of them. The game gives you plenty of stuff so that you don't really need them.

Jonnyram said:

Mmm, I thought it shared more in common with Final Fantasy X, especially once the
Adephagos
shows up and you learn what Estelle's power really is. Yuna was sheltered and didn't know much about the outside world, but wanted to help anyone, which is like Estelle. They're both willing to give up their own lives if it means they can save the world. Yuri is like Tidus, who doesn't really care much about the "laws and customs" of any place in the world, and will just do what he thinks is right, and insists there is "another way", even if it's not known yet. Rita is just like Rikku, Raven is just like Wakka, Judith is just like Lulu. Karol's the odd man out. He reminded me a lot of Naruto.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Too Human has been out in the U.S. all week and most of the posts in its official thread were written after its release. Of course it's going to have more posts in its thread than the thread of a game that isn't out yet.

Jonnyram

TSA said:
Mmm, I thought it shared more in common with Final Fantasy X, especially once the
Adephagos
shows up and you learn what Estelle's power really is. Yuna was sheltered and didn't know much about the outside world, but wanted to help anyone, which is like Estelle. They're both willing to give up their own lives if it means they can save the world. Yuri is like Tidus, who doesn't really care much about the "laws and customs" of any place in the world, and will just do what he thinks is right, and insists there is "another way", even if it's not known yet. Rita is just like Rikku, Raven is just like Wakka, Judith is just like Lulu. Karol's the odd man out. He reminded me a lot of Naruto.
Well, I've only got 2/3 of the way through, so don't know how it finishes, but so far Estelle is basically Ashe --
she's the princess who want's to get out of the castle, and ends up with the empire chasing her trying to bring her back
, the whole empire vs pirates vs "nature" theme, the various character ties with the empire (like the Judges in FFXII), the Air (is that the English spelling? not sure) vs Mist comparisons.

Well, I'll have a better idea when I finish the game, I'm sure, but your comparisons seem pretty succinct too, so who knows. It strikes me as a lot closer to an FF game than previous Tales games, though perhaps Tales veterans can chime on in this as I'm talking above my station :)

Oh sorry, I wasn't trying to imply my comparison was any more valid or that yours wasn't. Vesperia has a lot of content that could be compared to existing media, I was just trying to say at one point the game screamed out to me "FFX".

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
To those who are getting the Special Edition, are you getting it through Amazon? I called a bunch of Gamecrazy's today and most of them said no one preordered the CE so we aren't getting any.

Man, I really want this game day one. How long does Amazon usually take (with 1 day shipping?). I may just get it from them since I do live one state away from where Amazon ships most of my games from.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
TSA said:
Oh sorry, I wasn't trying to imply my comparison was any more valid or that yours wasn't. Vesperia has a lot of content that could be compared to existing media, I was just trying to say at one point the game screamed out to me "FFX".

I remember alot of people claiming Symphonia was a direct copy of FFX too.

grandjedi6 said:
I remember alot of people claiming Symphonia was a direct copy of FFX too.
Because the first half of the plot was. But then again, the whole visiting elemental temples thing is an overused plot device itself.

jvalioli

Ermac said:
To those who are getting the Special Edition, are you getting it through Amazon? I called a bunch of Gamecrazy's today and most of them said no one preordered the CE so we aren't getting any.

Man, I really want this game day one. How long does Amazon usually take (with 1 day shipping?). I may just get it from them since I do live one state away from where Amazon ships most of my games from.
Usually Amazon is TERRIBLE with pre-orders. They have a warehouse not too far from where I live, so all normal orders come overnight. I've pre-ordered a ton of stuff from Amazon before, the only thing I got with nice timing was Twilight Princess(came early!).

Weird, every game I preorder from Amazon.com has come on release day even using the standard shipping, the seem to ship ahead of time for me.

Paznos

Ermac said:

I ordered it on Amazon with overnight shipping it's telling me estimated delivery date of the 28th but I hope it arrives before then, anyone know if they have a warehouse in SoCal?

Geoff9920

Nice review. :)

1up.com said:
For years, detractors have labeled the conventional Japanese RPG a dated genre that simply doesn't have a place among the likes of Gears of War and Halo. Tales of Vesperia exposes that assertion for what it truly is: a load of bunk. Traditional elements -- an anime-styled cast, a lush, expansive overworld, and a familiar fantasy setting -- will always be welcome, so long as they're done well. And Vesperia succeeds as well as any Japanese RPG this generation.
I think this sums it up nicely. Here's a link for the lazy.

Ermac

Nice review, I'm usually not a fan of A. Fitch's review, but this one was nicely done.

But damn, looks like my brother already signed up for the Amazon Prime trial before, so now I can't get overnight shipping for 4 bucks. :(

Looks like I'm going to end up paying $15 dollars for shipping. Oh well, it's only 11 bucks more than One-Day with Prime.

To those who have Amazon Prime, is it really worth it? (Though I probably just answered my own question with my post.)

edit: went ahead and ordered it. Total came to 85.47.

Sigh, the things I do.

kiryogi

Banned
Did the free shipping here for the collector's @ Amazon here. Comes to 76.01.. But odd thing now is my shipping estimate says sept 2nd. XD Oh well. I'd like to have the US ver just for the steel case and maybe double achievements. I wonder if I should have went with gamestop online instead. To note, gamestop online isn't taking preorders anymore for the CE.

edit- and it's officially shipped today domestically :D

kiryogi

Banned
Fun note, I don't know this is a typo. But picked up the ToV US guide last week and have been studying it like mad, Anywho, looks like Americans may have it a bit easier? One of Rita's titles only takes about 20 million HP of damage dealt to get. However, JP is like... 600 million? I wonder if that's right on the us side. I know the JP is def 600 mil.

Ermac

Anyone's Amazon orders shipped yet? The page now says ships in 2 to 3 weeks. My estimated date is still the 28th though. Hopefully it'll get here soon.

kiryogi

Banned
Toyed with my shipping from 1day and back to super saver.. says this now instead of sept 2nd:

View or change order
Items not yet shipped:
Shipping estimate: September 16, 2008 - September 22, 2008

* 1 of: Tales of Vesperia Premium Edition
Sold by: Amazon.com, LLC

D:

I shoulda went with GameStop online.

Paznos

Ermac said:
Anyone's Amazon orders shipped yet? The page now says ships in 2 to 3 weeks. My estimated date is still the 28th though. Hopefully it'll get here soon.
Nope mine hasn't shipped yet either, I just hope they had enough copies to fulfill the Pre-Orders.

kiryogi

Banned
Princess Skittles said:
Anything I have to have day one I suck it up and go to Gamestop (and trust me, I really, really, really hate walking into those places).

Haha, but did you preorder it :eek: I question if my gamestop will have any available at all. Doesnt' seem like many people did. Not to mention I cancelled mine in favor of getting the CE online.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Princess Skittles said:
Anything I have to have day one I suck it up and go to Gamestop (and trust me, I really, really, really hate walking into those places).

Tried pre-ordering the LE from an EB store, and they didn't have it in their computers. So I sucked it up and just went Amazon... :(

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
Brandon F said:
Tried pre-ordering the LE from an EB store, and they didn't have it in their computers. So I sucked it up and just went Amazon... :(
Well, I really hate Tales music (Legendia excluded) so I'm not paying an extra $10 for low-rent Casio keyboard music, but there were some posts indicating that the CE was in their system but it was listed as "Vesperia CE" and not "Tales of Vesperia CE" or something to that effect.

hyduK

Banned
vilmer_ said:
Anyone in Canada know if EB Games will have stock today? Other places list it as the 28th :/

I went in and they told me it isn't out till tomorrow....they had the shipment in AFAIK, they just couldn't sell it.

I hate EB.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Princess Skittles said:
Well, I really hate Tales music (Legendia excluded) so I'm not paying an extra $10 for low-rent Casio keyboard music, but there were some posts indicating that the CE was in their system but it was listed as "Vesperia CE" and not "Tales of Vesperia CE" or something to that effect.

Yea, I read about that in this thread before asking, but even trying every combination of Vesperia and CE and Tales, all they came up with was the regular edition. That was 1 week ago.

kiryogi

Banned
hyduK said:
So according to EB, this game doesn't come out till tomorrow.

=(.

Ships today, some store might have it today. But most will have it tomorrow. Today's just the official release from the manufacturer.

hyduK said:
I went in and they told me it isn't out till tomorrow....they had the shipment in AFAIK, they just couldn't sell it.

I hate EB.

Canada? ToV isn't streetdated so it doesn't matter when they sell it.

matmanx1

Yup went by my Gamestop this morning and they already have Disgaea 3 on the shelves but wont be getting Vesperia until tomorrow. Oh well, at least I can play Disgaea 3 tonight!

hyduK

Banned
kiryogi said:
Canada? ToV isn't streetdated so it doesn't matter when they sell it.

Yeah, Canada.

They never checked the back for it, but they said that the computer has it as being released tomorrow, so they wouldn't be able to ring it in regardless.

Top Bottom