• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Tales of Vesperia |OT|

purg3

slept with Malkin
Only played for an hour or so today, but I'm already really liking this game. And holy shit did I suck at combat. It took some battles to get in the swing again because I haven't played a Tales game since Symphonia came out. Definitely liking the art/graphics and the VO isn't too bad so far.

Tamanon

Banned
purg3 said:
Only played for an hour or so today, but I'm already really liking this game. And holy shit did I suck at combat. It took some battles to get in the swing again because I haven't played a Tales game since Symphonia came out. Definitely liking the art/graphics and the VO isn't too bad so far.

The early battles are actually tougher than the later random battles, the soldiers have more knockbacks and stuns, if you just do the usual run in and hack and slash they beat the hell out of you.:lol

Jirotrom

i have tales of symphonia and abyss... should I just play those first? I know they arent connected but I was wondering if playing this one then going back to those would ruin the experience.

Tamanon

Banned
Jirotrom said:
i have tales of symphonia and abyss... should I just play those first? I know they arent connected but I was wondering if playing this one then going back to those would ruin the experience.

Nah, they're all basically the same system. Just different characters/story and slightly different battle systems, you can play them out of order and still enjoy 'em:)

kiryogi

Banned
mugwhump said:
What comes with the LE? And do the English skits have voice acting?

Yeah, first console Tales to feature full voice acting for the skits. While, the LE was a steelbook DVD case and a tales 10th anniversary vol 1 soundtrack. There's also supposedly some DLC code?

mugwhump

kiryogi said:
Yeah, first console Tales to feature full voice acting for the skits. While, the LE was a steelbook DVD case and a tales 10th anniversary vol 1 soundtrack. There's also supposedly some DLC code?
:O

robot

I'm so torn between this and IU. I loved Symphonia but the demo for this one kinda bored me.

Might be time to comb this thread for impressions.

Firestorm

robot said:
I'm so torn between this and IU. I loved Symphonia but the demo for this one kinda bored me.

A good post would be the one where Jonnyram says he didn't like the demo but loved the game. I think the impressions seem to lean towards "If you loved Symphonia, you'll love Vesperia".

robot said:
Felt the exact same way, but I think you should take the jump like I did. It really is a very impressive and enjoyable game.

Plus I was never really a big Tales fan to begin with.

kiryogi

Banned
robot said:

Yeah, a lot of folks felt the demo did the actual game no justice.

goldenpp72

can someone explain the skills thing to me? I'm very confused by it.. seems like if i hit it it removes 'sp' and I can also put them back, I don't get it. Also on the marketplace there are free content items and I dunno what they do..

Jonnyram

SP means skill points. You have to allot those points to certain "skills" that improve your stats, give you better combos, modify your attacks, or other stuff. e.g. you can add Extra HP for 2 skill points. Your total SP increases as you level up so you can turn on more skills simultaneously. It's up to you what you enable, though.

goldenpp72

ok I think i got that, what about the marketplace content, any ideas? I see them in my item inventory but I dunno if I use em do I lose em? It says trial..

JaMarco

Jonnyram said:
SP means skill points. You have to allot those points to certain "skills" that improve your stats, give you better combos, modify your attacks, or other stuff. e.g. you can add Extra HP for 2 skill points. Your total SP increases as you level up so you can turn on more skills simultaneously. It's up to you what you enable, though.
Sounds interesting. Can you redistribute already used SP anytime you want?

vesp

Jirotrom said:
If you really want to play all 3, I'd play them in Order. I loved Symphonia but I'm not entirely sure it's aged well, Abyss is better but marred by technical problems out the wazoo, and Vesperia feels very familar after playing the other 2, but seems quite a bit more polished.

I think you would enjoy Vesperia just fine first, but I think it may be hard going back to Symphonia and Abyss.

kiryogi

Banned
Hero said:
This game is awesome. 13 hours in two days so far.

This was done by Team Symphonia, right?

Bingo.

And agreed on playing them in other. It's really hard to go back. I'm not even sure if I can go back to finishing KoR :lol

Hero

From a character standpoint, Yuri is the man. Spoilers for after part one is finished.

I seriously didn't expect the Tales team to have the main character murder Ragoul outright like that. Was very awesome though. Let's see if it effects Yuri down the road.

But man. I really miss Lloyd's moveset. All his Beast and Sword Rain artes were the best.

kiryogi

Banned
Hero said:
From a character standpoint, Yuri is the man. Spoilers for after part one is finished.

I seriously didn't expect the Tales team to have the main character murder Ragoul outright like that. Was very awesome though. Let's see if it effects Yuri down the road.

But man. I really miss Lloyd's moveset. All his Beast and Sword Rain artes were the best.

Heh, I'm glad they didn't stick to the traditional swordsman style. That being with Luke and Yuri. On the other hand, [spoier]Flynn[/spoiler] has those moves instead, hahah.

cbodom

indeed it coudl really use more of a tutorial...

so who on neogaf wants to be my hero :)

ive died 5 times on that idiot slicer who comes thru the front door 20mins into the game
and i cba listening to the same cutscenes again...

so how are you supposed to properly attack in this game?
i was hitting him 3 times, then blocking... suffice to say i died alot...

joelseph

cbodom said:
indeed it coudl really use more of a tutorial...

so who on neogaf wants to be my hero :)

ive died 5 times on that idiot slicer who comes thru the front door 20mins into the game
and i cba listening to the same cutscenes again...

so how are you supposed to properly attack in this game?
i was hitting him 3 times, then blocking... suffice to say i died alot...

Run from him until he swings at you and then lay into him with a 3-2 combo. Then block. Do that a few times and the fight will swing in your favor.

Himuro said:
Well it's the first next gen rpg that feels ps2 quality. That's saying something.

I thought LO was... :(

But I agree - the game is excellent so far. I'm really loving the gameplay so far - everything about it. Needless to say, it's a beautiful game too. And for some strange reason, I really love the absolutely average boss battle music track. I have no idea why but it gets in my head.

Sushen

Bebpo said:
Well it helps that there isn't much next-gen competition in the top-tier j-rpgs =P BD/LO weren't quite at that level IMO & ES fucking sucked. Vesperia represents the first time a major j-rpg developer/franchise has hit with a fully polished HD iteration. Hopefully Tri-ace can keep up with the bar and SE gets there as well.
It looks like Tales will be only jRPG that would live up to next-gen expectation until FF13 comes out...

MoogPaul

i picked this up yesterday not having played a tales game before in the past. The animation and backgrounds are quite nice and the voice acting so far has been pretty decent. I hate with a fiery passion the battle system. It's boring, slow and repetitive... at least for now. I'm not a big fan of the action RPG battle system to begin with, but I actually quite enjoyed Eternal Sonata's so I'm not crazy against that type of system. I do however LOVE the skits and the interactions between the characters at the end of a battle. The fourth character you get in the game...
the kid i forget his name
makes me want to throw my xbox out the window. So far the game falls short behind the other RPGs I've played on the system: Blue Dragon, Lost Odyssey, Operation Darkness and Eternal Sonata. I wasn't even that crazy about Blue Dragon and Eternal Sonata either.
However, I'm in the very early stages of the game saved just outside the second city with the tree but not yet going into it. So we'll see how it pans out.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
How hard is the limited edition to find? Or was it a preorder only bonus? Thinking of picking this up this weekend.

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
djtiesto said:
How hard is the limited edition to find? Or was it a preorder only bonus? Thinking of picking this up this weekend.

You can still order it on Amazon, but it's thorough Hubbagames.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Himuro said:
This game is like One Piece within a Tales game. Bebpo was not kidding. It is like if One Piece took place in a Tales game. Holy shit.

- Guilds = pirates
- Empire = Marines
- Getting a bounty? "Haha. 5000 Gald? Is that all?"
-
Deciding to say,"fuck joining a guild, we're going to make our own.
- Leader who sticks for anybody, in any situation, no matter what the issue. Although Yuri is far more smart than Luffy. The lying "captain" who always runs away from trouble;etc.

The more I play it, the more I totally get the comparison.

:O Must...Buy...Game....NOW!

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
Ahh, finally got my CE from Amazon. Pics for anyone who's interested:

2hecw9e.jpg

3520w9c.jpg

2i8x3k4.jpg

Also, the "bonus", has yet to be announced. The slip has a code and directs you here: talesRPG.com/special

2DMention

Banned
Is this a niche Gamestop-only title? I went to Circuit City and Best Buy, where I have coupons, and they don't have it. :(

The other tales games were pretty mainstream and sold everywhere, weren't they?

MechaX

MoogPaul said:
Never thought you'd see the day when a GAFer wasn't blindly in love with a Tales Of game? I know, it's crazy, right?

Uh... You could go over to the Infinite Undiscovery/Any Tri-Ace thread and find that.

Top Bottom