• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Tales of Vesperia |OT|

Kasumi1970

my name is Ted
Ordered Tales of Vesparia from Amazon.com. Next is Infinite Undiscovery. One thing I noticed Enternal Sonata is still not listed in the USA namco website, I even checked Amazon.com, and it is not listed. I guess it not coming out till ealry 2009 for the PS3. I am glad I own a 360 along with the PS3.

Ricker

Finally got my CE also,from EBGames,they also had a few extra copies for walk-ins but only 3 left,going to start playing a little later on...I think it was asked a few times but never answered,or i missed it(probably)but how does the online co-op work...I know it's just battles but what happens outside of battles?

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
Ricker said:
Finally got my CE also,from EBGames,they also had a few extra copies for walk-ins but only 3 left,going to start playing a little later on...I think it was asked a few times but never answered,or i missed it(probably)but how does the online co-op work...I know it's just battles but what happens outside of battles?

No online co-op, only couch co-op

Manaka

MoogPaul said:
Never thought you'd see the day when a GAFer wasn't blindly in love with a Tales Of game? I know, it's crazy, right?

No, around here it would actually make you look less crazy to the majority of gaffers.

But I do find it more crazy that you like Eternal Sonata's battle system more...(if you are much farther than the beginning and this opinion still stands, that is)

Kasumi1970

my name is Ted
Paracelsus said:

I did a search it only brought up the x-box version, Maybe I mispelled the name. Why doens't Namco list this?? They list the tales game for Wii on Namco's website, but why not all the games for the PS3????? Anyway, I am happy to have tales of Vesparia.

Kasumi1970

my name is Ted
MoogPaul said:
Never thought you'd see the day when a GAFer wasn't blindly in love with a Tales Of game? I know, it's crazy, right?

I have always liked the "Tales" series. These days any Japanese rpgs we get are a blessing. I will support them till there are none left to buy.

Firestorm

08.jpg

08-1.jpg

And before I start the game, here's the track listing for the soundtrack:

Tales of Vesperia
1. Youthful Days
2. March of Brave Vesperia
3. 1000 Year Slumber of the Blastia
4. Evolution and Harmony
5. Furnace of War
6. Burning Fighting Spirit
7. Undying Resolve
8. Fury Sparks
9. The Final Showdown
10. Absolute Victory
11. The Link
12. Around the World

Tales of Phantasia
13. I Miss you..
14. Final Act

Tales of Destiny
15. Bare Its Fangs
16. Silent Night + Endless Dream

Tales of Symphonia
17. Old Familiar Scent of Iselia
18. Derris-Kharlan ~Shrine~
19. Eternal Oath
20. Last Battle ~Decision~

Tales of the Abyss
21. Wing of Hope
22. Never Surrender

So no Fighting of the Spirit (unless Burning Fighting Spirit is a remix), Fatalize, or Meaning of Birth =( Maybe Volume 2's got them?

For some reason I have no French on my copy of the game. No where. Not on the box or instructions. Instruction booklet is huge, full colour, and has a few extra pages of artwork by Kosuke Fujishima and screenshots.

2DMention

Banned
2DMention said:
Is this a niche Gamestop-only title? I went to Circuit City and Best Buy, where I have coupons, and they don't have it. :(

The other tales games were pretty mainstream and sold everywhere, weren't they?

Anyone...? Anyone...?

Okay, well, I love this game. A lot.

The combat is so awesome. And, you know, there are these little things called "Secret Missions" and, well, they're pretty cool too IF you know what you're supposed to do. They kind of add another element of challenge -- kind of like in Soul Calibur IV in that one tower thing. I know that some people aren't digging these, but I am. I mean, having those flower things being available so the boss can be stunned was pretty cool -- I took advantage of that.

Beautiful art direction, too. Myyyyyyy goodness.

JSnake

Firestorm said:
Just started, but is there anywhere to change the controls for battles? I want A to be attack and B to be artes.

It's in the settings.

edit: oh hey, Himuro and I are at the same place.

mjc

I broke down and ordered a special edition from Amazon, I bought the regular yesterday but I really like the artwork on the case and the soundtrack looks decent. If anything I'll have an extra copy lying around.

Firestorm

JSnake said:
It's in the settings.

edit: oh hey, Himuro and I are at the same place.
I went through but didn't find it the first time, got it now. Awesome. Switched Normal Attacks <-> Artes and Select Target <-> Fatal Strike. Let's see if this works better.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Himuro said:
Estelle: They're so bouncy.
Judith: What are you looking at...?
Estelle: I wish I was bouncy.

OMG :lol

Try out Judith man. I'm LOVING her move set.

Ah the traditional Tales big breast joke. Where would the series be without it?

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
grandjedi6 said:
Ah the traditional Tales big breast joke. Where would the series be without it?
Indeed. We should see how many of the clichés I joked about in the Tales of Hearts thread are in Vesperia.

The skits are annoying anyway, it's the same 30 or so anime clichés across every game. One character will eat a lot, one character will cook horribly, one character will have big breasts while another has small breasts and many jokes will ensue about them, the stoic emo character will make a joke and shock everybody, one character will be an idiot and have to have basic things explained to them the entire game, one character will be clumsy and trip on nothing constantly, etc. If you've ever played a Tales game before or ever watched an anime before, the skits should be skipped anyway.

AndresON777

shooting blanks
2DMention said:
Is this a niche Gamestop-only title? I went to Circuit City and Best Buy, where I have coupons, and they don't have it. :(

The other tales games were pretty mainstream and sold everywhere, weren't they?

They have it at best buys in atlanta, I have a 10% off coupon as well.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...peria&lp=1&type=product&cp=1&id=1215216792643

a question about the battle system, I've only played the demo...but is it always on like a 2-d plane? I notice that the enemies can hit me from various directions but I cant seem to move in other directions. The art style is superb.

Firestorm

Himuro said:
Abyss had one?
Anise to Tear.
ChrisGoldstein said:
They have it at best buys in atlanta, I have a 10% off coupon as well.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...peria&lp=1&type=product&cp=1&id=1215216792643

a question about the battle system, I've only played the demo...but is it always on like a 2-d plane? I notice that the enemies can hit me from various directions but I cant seem to move in other directions. The art style is superb.
Hold Left Trigger for free run.

Tamanon

Banned
BTW, that friggin' wolf boss was a pain in the ass, I got smacked around, went and leveled up 3 more levels, got smacked around 5 more times, and finally caved in and set battles to easy against him. I have no clue why he was just destroying my party so quickly.:/

MechaX

Wow. I only intended to test out Raven a little bit for one of the boss achievements.

Turns out that I'm liking him way more than Yuri. I'm just wondering how good Judith is going to be. Once I get that item that allows you to switch characters in mid battle and if Judith is awesome as they say, Raven/Judith/Repede/Someone all the way.

B.K.

I just ordered the SE from Gamestop. I hate that they charge sales tax. I miss the old days of internet stores when no one charged sales tax.

Tamanon said:
Yuppers, although not voiced usually.

They're voiced in the Japanese version though. Bandai Namco has always just been too cheap to spend the extra money to voice the skits, when they're not removing them from the game entirely, like they did in Tales of Eternia (Destiny II).

Ricker

Firestorm said:
For some reason I have no French on my copy of the game. No where. Not on the box or instructions. Instruction booklet is huge, full colour, and has a few extra pages of artwork by Kosuke Fujishima and screenshots.

Same here,I was really surprised since i'm in Quebec ;) but i sure won't tell :D

rareside

Does anyone know if the US version works on a JP console? Thread is kind of long to search the whole thing. Play-Asia's website doesn't list either way.

Threi

notag
yo dudes.

So how is the game's learning curve? I have played many a RPG in my time but this will (might) be my first Tales game.

Can someone explain the combat system?

goldenpp72

It's basically a 2d hack and slash with the ability to roam in 3d, at first anyways, not hard to adjust to and it gets quite a bit deeper as you go but eases you in PRETTY well. One of the bosses was a bitch until i grinded up 5 levels.

Tamanon

Banned
Farore said:
Q: Are the secrets missions easy to miss [and are they one-chance-only]?

Very easy to miss, they don't tell you what they are, and they're all doing something special during boss fights:p

Top Bottom