• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Tales of Vesperia |OT|

AndresON777

shooting blanks
JSnake said:
Yes! I love this song!

It matches greatly with the anime clip too, the day I got the game I must have watched that for at least 45 minutes before I started playing.

And thanks for the tip Warnen :)

kiryogi said:
About that... I heard there's a harvest point that drops Gigant items... :eek: Kouli spoke about how he abused it daily.

From the SW desert, go to the central west and look hard into the water for a shell.

Haven't done it myself personally...

Could you be a little more specific with the directions?

I currently need two Giganto drops before I start my new file and neither of them have spawned in over 20 hours. I'm getting a tad bit impatient.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I just gave Yuri an overhaul(Basic Artes mapped to B + Direction, Arcane to Right Stick commands) and just remembered Burst Artes, how would I pull one off now? Hold the stick in the same direction?

kiryogi

Banned
My Arms Your Hearse said:
Could you be a little more specific with the directions?

I currently need two Giganto drops before I start my new file and neither of them have spawned in over 20 hours. I'm getting a tad bit impatient.

Well like Jonnyram said. check out the jp wiki @ the bottom

http://www26.atwiki.jp/vesperia/pages/122.html

I'm finally toying around with Repede/3 casters while taking on
Gauche and Droite
Works out well, but I definitely need to get him more moves. IE I don't even have that victory spear you mentioned since it's a skill change.

Tamanon

Banned
Papercuts said:
I just gave Yuri an overhaul(Basic Artes mapped to B + Direction, Arcane to Right Stick commands) and just remembered Burst Artes, how would I pull one off now? Hold the stick in the same direction?

Holding B during an Arcane arte when you're in Overlimit.

kiryogi said:
Well like Jonnyram said. check out the jp wiki @ the bottom

http://www26.atwiki.jp/vesperia/pages/122.html

I'm finally toying around with Repede/3 casters while taking on
Gauche and Droite
Works out well, but I definitely need to get him more moves. IE I don't even have that victory spear you mentioned since it's a skill change.

Shining Fang also rocks and is a total blast to use (though I believe you get it from an event... can't recall which). Total boss stunlock (and rockets both of you off the screen).

Edit: I should also clarify that I've been using "Light Spear" with Repede. I don't actually have the upgraded version either (somewhere along the way I've missed a weapon that gives the skill to upgrade it). However, if it works like in past Tales games, the original Light Spear will probably be better.

Jonnyram

Which are you after? I'm guessing one is
Fenrir
, since that item is needed four or five times in synth items, but it seems to be 100% drop rate. Save at the nearest save point and keep reloading until it spawns -- it usually spawns within 5-10 reloads even if I've just beaten it. Use holy bottle if it's in a dungeon :)

kiryogi: don't forget to steal... twice! :)

Jonnyram said:
Which are you after? I'm guessing one is
Fenrir
, since that item is needed four or five times in synth items, but it seems to be 100% drop rate. Save at the nearest save point and keep reloading until it spawns -- it usually spawns within 5-10 reloads even if I've just beaten it. Use holy bottle if it's in a dungeon :)

kiryogi: don't forget to steal... twice! :)

Nope. Griffon and Quoi Butterfly.

Neither have showed up in ages (I've killed them both already).

They drop stuff that is required to upgrade Rita's Milky Way weapon (and give the ability speed cast... though really if I have speed cast I might have to make adjustments so her spells aren't too out of sync with Raven... but Heavy Magic should take care of that).

kiryogi

Banned
Jonnyram said:
You need to keep spamming point 1 on this map then:
http://www26.atwiki.jp/vesperia/?plugin=ref&serial=29

Also, you can get the butterfly item from the other butterfly (in the desert area).
Edit: Read it wrong.. But the interesting thing is if I can only get one, I could synth the other with the current one. Sigh. Urgh. Not sure how to deal with this battle on top of stealing from both. ARGH XD XD And no I haven't beaten them yet. Either gonna go back later or need to reevalc. who I use and how I use'em (Mainly Repede)

JSnake: Not sure about it time wise but here's the layout:

1- Get the Kiltansas flower from Efmead Hill. It's in the little hallow where the gattuso cubs are.
2- Visit Temza mountain to trigger and event and receive the nostalgic compact
3- See the orphanage event @ Torim
4- Go to where you fought Yeager, they'll be waiting for you there.

Jonnyram

kiryogi said:
What do you mean twice? I thought only one of them had something. At least according to the US guide. >_>.
No, there are two, and they both have different skills on them. But (!) you can synth one from the other, if you're really concerned about stealing/failing for half the battle. Either one will do.

JSnake said:
:O How do you fight
Gauche and Droite
?
That was a bitch. I had a couple friends over so I had Estelle on auto with myself as Yuri and my buddies as Repede and Rita. I would hold off one from bombarding Estelle while the Rita would spell cast on the other with Repede attempting to steal consistently. They were a lot harder than I thought they would be.

Jonnyram

Wow, I didn't even realize you could search for things in the water? How does this work exactly? Use the boat?

Or am I misinterpreting the image?
Ah, there is a guy
who upgrades your boat
. If you've got Raven's Vacancer and Arrivederci skills from him, you need to go to Kapowa Torim to meet him again.

kiryogi

Banned
Donkeyshow: Heh imagine them on hard. The amazing thing though is, their hiougi doesn't hurt that much. Thank god.

Himuro said:
How late in the game in this

3rd part of the game. Warning you, if you thought
Tison and Nan
were bad, these two dominate in comparison.

My arms: You can get a salvage crane during a subevent. Though, Kouli said shell and you can't find shells in the sea. Maybe he meant a sea salvage point.

kiryogi said:
Donkeyshow: Heh imagine them on hard. The amazing thing though is, their hiougi doesn't hurt that much. Thank god.
Oh, I did it on Hard... like 5 times. :lol

Their artes were stupid ridiculous, especially when both of them were focused on one person. Every combo just had all of us going "FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK THAT!!!"

And yeah, I was expecting pure death when the hi-ougi came out but was really surprised when it really didn't amount to anything in comparison to the rest of their actions.

I'm just lucky my friends who helped me were Tales veterans.

kiryogi

Banned
donkey show said:
Oh, I did it on Hard... like 5 times. :lol

Their artes were stupid ridiculous, especially when both of them were focused on one person. And yeah, I was expecting pure death when the hi-ougi came out but was really surprised when it really didn't amount to anything in comparison to the rest of their actions.

I'm just lucky my friends who helped me were Tales veterans.

What doe a solo tales player do D: :studies unknown videos:

Jonnyram said:
Ah, there is a guy
who upgrades your boat
. If you've got Raven's Vacancer and Arrivederci skills from him, you need to go to Kapowa Torim to meet him again.

Ah, nice. Thanks. I do have those two skills. I guess I didn't realize the guy had more to give.

Well, I just got it. Now I just need to get really lucky on my first salvage attempt :lol

Though I've just realized I missed a useful spell for Raven this go around. Thankfully I'm aware of Kouli's subevent guide now and hopefully by the time I get to where it ends it will be finished.

kiryogi said:
What doe a solo tales player do D: :studies unknown videos:
They buy DLC. :lol

On that note, the pricing scale for the level DLC is hilarious. 700 points for all the level up items that you can only use once.

kiryogi

Banned
Ah, nice. Thanks. I do have those two skills. I guess I didn't realize the guy had more to give.

There's an entire subevent tree dedicated to the guy. In the end you can get the joke weapons from him.

Darkman M

Anyone try the rita farm grade trick? You can supposedly earn 900+ grade each battle, i hear the grade shop is extremely expensive : (

btw my highest grade so far is like 27.40 or something.

Darkman M said:
Anyone try the rita farm grade trick? You can supposedly earn 900+ grade each battle, i hear the grade shop is extremely expensive : (

Explain.

Darkman M said:

Yea, it is - everything is like several hundred to several thousand Grade in cost, and there is like a TON of things to buy if you truly want to have a New Game+.

Darkman M

Jamesfrom818 said:

You control Rita. Set everyone else to manual.

Have the following skills equipped: Minimum damage, Spell End, and OVL 2 (whichever one that has a chance to restore your TP).

I'd suggest equipping the Faerie Ring.

Go into a battle that has a large number of enemies.

Cast Tidal Wave. Hit your overlimit. Now keep casting Tidal Wave. In OVL and with spell end you'll be able to cast it immediately and keep all the enemies combo'd and FS chained. Also, the more of them, the faster the OVL gauge fills back up. By the time you're about to run out of OVL it should easily be back up around or over level 2. Hit it again and continue to cast Tidal Wave.

Occasionally your combo will mess up, but the real money maker is the FS chain that will usually keep going even when the combo counter resets. Do this until you're bored. I just did a battle and got 958 grade without much problems.

I hope you don't have epilepsy :p

found on gamefaqs.

kiryogi

Banned
Darkman M said:
You control Rita. Set everyone else to manual.

Have the following skills equipped: Minimum damage, Spell End, and OVL 2 (whichever one that has a chance to restore your TP).

I'd suggest equipping the Faerie Ring.

Go into a battle that has a large number of enemies.

Cast Tidal Wave. Hit your overlimit. Now keep casting Tidal Wave. In OVL and with spell end you'll be able to cast it immediately and keep all the enemies combo'd and FS chained. Also, the more of them, the faster the OVL gauge fills back up. By the time you're about to run out of OVL it should easily be back up around or over level 2. Hit it again and continue to cast Tidal Wave.

Occasionally your combo will mess up, but the real money maker is the FS chain that will usually keep going even when the combo counter resets. Do this until you're bored. I just did a battle and got 958 grade without much problems.

I hope you don't have epilepsy :p

found on gamefaqs.

I've tried Rita spam in general. scored like 30 grade XD

Darkman M said:

I need this. I'm only at a total of 3700 grade points at pretty much end game. =(

EDIT: Just saw it. Must try when I get back from work. Thanks!

Darkman M

donkey show said:
I need this. I'm only at a total of 3700 grade points at pretty much end game. =(

EDIT: Just saw it. Must try when I get back from work. Thanks!

Yeah i think im gonna give it a shot, it will be nice to buy the whole grade bar:D

Jamesfrom818 said:

1) RITA!

2) Minimum damage, Spell End

These are the BASE requirements.

3) Risky Ring, Faerie Ring, Wonder Symbol, and Overlimit Bonus 2 are all useful in their own way.

-Risky Ring and Faerie Ring reduce the cost of Tidal Wave if you are unable to maintain a constant level 3 overlimit (spells are free in a level 3 overlimit)

-Wonder symbol helps make sure your combos never break (even though spells are "instant cast" in overlimit, I hear it helps, but your combo number doesn't matter for grade really so I never bother

- I'd also make sure you have Overlimit Bonus 2 (chance to fully restore TP when you go into OVL). Light magic can't hurt either (further reduces spell cost.. OVL bonus 2 is a low % chance to activate).

4) Enter battle with at least 1 OVL. Make sure there are like 5+ enemies.

5) Go into overlimit mode and spam the hell out of Tidal Wave. Recast OVL as necessary (with as many hits as it does and so many enemies it will refill at least to 2 everytime). Do this until you are bored to tears. Then do it in another battle.

This is also a cheap way to kill bosses and stuff. Just leave off minimum damage (makes all damage 1). Though for Bosses I'd use something like Bloody Howling not Tidal Wave. Tidal Wave just lasts long enough to start another and hits everything on screen no matter what.

Edit: Rita also can get the skill to extend her Overlimit. Forget the name and weapon, but it is there. I'm not sure if she can get the ability to make the gauge fill faster (I don't have it, a weapon with it, nor can I synthesize one... but I probably just missed it along the way).

Darkman M said:
Yeah i think im gonna give it a shot, it will be nice to buy the whole grade bar:D
That was my initial goal until I heard about how much each thing in the grade shop cost. My dreams have been revived!

kiryogi said:
I've tried Rita spam in general. scored like 30 grade XD

Oh dear...

That was actually my post :lol

If you've beaten the game and are contiuning on the file, I'd suggest maybe spending some time on Nam Cobanda Isle and win a few Risky Rings (all artes use 1 TP, but half your physical and magical defense). Of course, you can buy 1 TP cost in the grade shop with no penalty. But you have to get there first!

kiryogi

Banned
So upon studying the unknown video, unless you do have an actual human to help you. It's a hit and run match against the optional boss I'm facing D: Interesting how he switches between Judy and Repede though. Only problem here is that my Judy isn't anywhere near that fast yet. But boy I want her to be.

For the curious folks:

http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm4498718

So do you have to find THE SPECIFIC spot to use the salvage? Because I can't seem to deploy it. Of course, it just turned night on me and I can't see for shit. I guess I need to go stay at an Inn so I can see.

Hmm found it. I swear it wasn't there at night!

...and

I got one of the items! Hopefully it won't take me too long to get the other.

Jonnyram

Yeah, but at least the green pop-up will appear saying "press A to check". I actually don't have a problem seeing the underwater shells during the day, but at night... well, good luck!

Jonnyram said:
Yeah, but at least the green pop-up will appear saying "press A to check". I actually don't have a problem seeing the underwater shells during the day, but at night... well, good luck!

Yea, it was pretty obvious in daylight.

Edit: YES YES YES

Got the other item right off the bat.

This does feel a bit cheap, but whatever. What's really cheap is that the "carry over items" option in the grade shop actually carries all your weapons over :p.

Then again, hitting for 1 damage in unknown isn't any fun.

By the way, anyone know how many items you need to synthesize before EVERY available option appears in the shops?

The people who give suggestions on synthesis items are recommending me things that aren't showing up (though I should note I missed the optional dungeon this go around if that matters). I'm at about 185 total items synthesized (I guess it counts unique items).

Firestorm

12 hours in: HOLY SHIT! I just got to the part where
Yuri kills Ragou
. You guys are right.
He is a bad ass
. So different from most bullshit jRPG protagonists. Well shit,
he got the girl a lot sooner than most jRPG protagonists too

Well, as for using the Grade Farming trick on bosses, which I had previously been abstaining from but thought I'd give it a try for sure since I mentioned it...

I just took
The first form of the final boss down to <100k HP on Hard before he used an OVL to escape... during which he was pretty much a sitting duck. So basically about 600K unstoppable damage from Bloody Howling
. Got up to nearly a 500 hit combo.

Though for bosses you're going to want to have your other party members also attacking or you'll likely not get your OVL gauge back up to at least 1.

Himuro said:
holy shit.

i'm looking through my skill set for Rita and also the spells she's got.

No Tidal Wave. None of those skills either.

Tidal Wave is gotten at like level 52, so that may be your problem.

Though I should caution... if you've sold or somehow gotten rid of Rita's original weapon (Sash) it is going to be impossible to do the trick as I believe you can ONLY synthesize the damage reducing skills from a weapon that can ONLY be made from the character's very original weapon they have when they join you.

Hint: You should NEVER EVER sell your weapons in Vesperia.

Jonnyram

By the way, anyone know how many items you need to synthesize before EVERY available option appears in the shops?

The people who give suggestions on synthesis items are recommending me things that aren't showing up (though I should note I missed the optional dungeon this go around if that matters). I'm at about 185 total items synthesized (I guess it counts unique items).
I think some of them only show up once you have the required items in your item log. This is particularly the case when one piece of equipment requires another piece of equipment as part of the synth.

Jonnyram said:
I think some of them only show up once you have the required items in your item log. This is particularly the case when one piece of equipment requires another piece of equipment as part of the synth.

Well, in one case I'm talking about
Last Fencer
, which can only be synthesized. To my knowledge there is no +1 or alpha/beta verstion of it.

In the other, I'm talking about Repede's Warrrior's Principle. They suggest the +1 version but I don't have it yet and can't synthesize it. I guess it must be in the bonus dungeon?

Jonnyram

Well, in one case I'm talking about
Last Fencer
, which can only be synthesized. To my knowledge there is no +1 or alpha/beta verstion of it.
That appeared for me in the list way before some of the other items actually. I think it appeared when I had about 3 or 4 of the ingredients in my item log - do you have them all but it's still not showing up? I've read in other sites that there is a "synth level" but I've never had a problem in practice.

In the other, I'm talking about Repede's Warrrior's Principle. They suggest the +1 version but I don't have it yet and can't synthesize it. I guess it must be in the bonus dungeon?
Ah, I have no idea which one that is because I'm playing the Japanese version :/ What are the ingredients, according to the synth tipster?

Jonnyram said:
That appeared for me in the list way before some of the other items actually. I think it appeared when I had about 3 or 4 of the ingredients in my item log - do you have them all but it's still not showing up? I've read in other sites that there is a "synth level" but I've never had a problem in practice.

Ah, I have no idea which one that is because I'm playing the Japanese version :/ What are the ingredients, according to the synth tipster?

I'll let you know in like ten minutes... stuck in the end credits (
just unleashed the Fell Weapons
).

I have all the ingredients for it if I recall (and now that I think about it I'm not ENTIRELY sure the guy is suggesting a +1... it might just be the weapon itself).

As for the first item... I don't have all the ingredients. I think I only have 2 or 3 on me so maybe that IS the problem (though I think I missed one set of ingredients permanently in this playthrough... but I need to check on that).

I've had other stuff (like Milky Way +1) show up when I didn't have all the ingredients (or even have faced the things that drop them). I don't know, it is all so massively confusing at times :lol

Also, Warrior's Principle is the weapon with Evade 4 on it for Repede, if that helps.

kiryogi

Banned
Jonnyram: BTW did you do the Karole/Nan events?

Do you need 50% monster book completion before triggering the 2nd event?

Jonnyram

kiryogi said:
Jonnyram: BTW did you do the Karole/Nan events?
Nope, not started it. I don't think you can until right before the last dungeon. It wouldn't start for me
after Zaude
at least, but I did see some >50% monster collection cutscene. Not sure if that is related directly or if it was a separate event.[/QUOTE]

Jonnyram said:
Ah, it's a +1 based on a weapon in a chest in the last dungeon, apparently.

Damn. That must be THE ONE chest I've missed :lol

I've been up and freaking down that place too. Any idea what part of the dungeon?

Also... ROFL

I just equipped Repede's new toy
Blade of Sins: Susanoh
(I can't help but think of Okami)...

My new attack power is 4400 :lol

Though I hear the kill counts do NOT carry over in a new game :((((((((

I do LOVE how they actually show you the upgraded attack power unlike in the other games.

Darkman M

Im so fucking pissed right now, Ive done all the secret missions up to secret mission 16 and now i find out that i can't complete it because of some random sub event early in the game i didn't get. This is unfuckinbelievable! No point of me even bothering with the rest of them.

Firestorm

Darkman M said:
Im so fucking pissed right now, Ive done all the secret missions up to secret mission 16 and now i find out that i can't complete it because of some random sub event early in the game i didn't get. This is unfuckinbelievable! No point of me even bothering with the rest of them.
Shit, which random sub event and around when does it happen? I hate Tales' skippable events :( It's near impossible to be able to do them without getting spoiled. I guess a town name would be good for what I should look out for?

Need this info too if there's a missable secret dungeon that I'll kick myself for later like in Eternal Sonata.

Top Bottom