• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Tales of Vesperia |OT|

Darkman M said:
Im so fucking pissed right now, Ive done all the secret missions up to secret mission 16 and now i find out that i can't complete it because of some random sub event early in the game i didn't get. This is unfuckinbelievable! No point of me even bothering with the rest of them.

Practice for next time!

Tamanon

Banned
Just meeting
Pharoah
after getting the "airship". ROFL at
sunshine and rainbows
, such good stuff, <3 Yuri.

Darkman M

Firestorm said:
Shit, which random sub event and around when does it happen? I hate Tales' skippable events :( It's near impossible to be able to do them without getting spoiled. I guess a town name would be good for what I should look out for?

Need this info too if there's a missable secret dungeon that I'll kick myself for later like in Eternal Sonata.

Just be sure to rest in maniac, anytime after the forced rest there........ really simple and i missed it.:lol

Id.

Wow this dog map challenge is easy yet tiresome. Just use a tent anywhere and the areas you've traversed turn blue on the map! What an awesome pissing contest :lol

Firestorm

Darkman M said:
Just be sure to rest in maniac, anytime after the forced rest there........ really simple and i missed it.:lol
Well I have no idea what that means so I guess you succeeded on the no spoilers part. I'll hopefully understand once I get there =) My #1 complaint with Tales games is the amount of missable content.

Also, anyone notice how the 3D pre-rendered scenes look worse than the real-time engine? The lighting on the characters is just awful. They look metal.

Spruchy

If you really achievement whoring it up with this game then it doesnt matter if you miss a secret mission on your first playthrough. Just started doing all the sidequest end game stuff since I got to the last dungeon last night, really fun stuff.

Darkman M

Firestorm said:
Well I have no idea what that means so I guess you succeeded on the no spoilers part. I'll hopefully understand once I get there =) My #1 complaint with Tales games is the amount of missable content.

Also, anyone notice how the 3D pre-rendered scenes look worse than the real-time engine? The lighting on the characters is just awful. They look metal.

It's just that simple sleep at the inn in Mantaic again after the game makes your party rest there for the first time , and you'll get a sub-event & item.

Darkman M said:
Theres supposedly a secret dungeon with extremely tough monsters you can only get to your second play through.

You CAN get there on your first playthrough, I believe, but there is a super silly super missable subevent you have to initiate for it to become available... and I've already missed it of course!

I look forward to going through it though.

kiryogi

Banned
Himuro said:
I think I asked you but... You got the mother's momento right?

My arms: I didn't miss it! mwahha. I look forward to getting absolutely owned and whatnot. On side note, where is that gigant harvest point. Does it not show up until later?

TopDreg

Damn, this game's bosses are tough.

Can anybody give some tips for
the boss in the ruined town (after the barrier breaks)? Can't seem to get past that guy.

kiryogi said:
I think I asked you but... You got the mother's momento right?

My arms: I didn't miss it! mwahha. I look forward to getting absolutely owned and whatnot. On side note, where is that gigant harvest point. Does it not show up until later?

Well, apparently:

You have to do a few subevents with Sicily first. I don't think these are missable. I hadn't started them until I was on a clear file. Basically, you meet him in Halure, where he gives Raven the Arrivederci spell (which can be upgraded to Inverno with Great Deluge). Then you go to Capua Nor and head to the west (towards where Ragou lived). You'll see him on the bridge and hill give you a new skill: Vacance. After that, head to the dock area in Capua Torim and he will upgrade your boat. At which point the search point is at the 1 on those images that jonnyram posted just west of the desert in the sea (in a portion the boat normally can't enter, but will be able to after the upgrade).

I have no idea when you can start it, but it seems you can't miss it.

kiryogi

Banned
My Arms Your Hearse said:
Well, apparently:

You have to do a few subevents with Sicily first. I don't think these are missable. I hadn't started them until I was on a clear file. Basically, you meet him in Halure, where he gives Raven the Arrivederci spell (which can be upgraded to Inverno with Great Deluge). Then you go to Capua Nor and head to the west (towards where Ragou lived). You'll see him on the bridge and hill give you a new skill: Vacance. After that, head to the dock area in Capua Torim and he will upgrade your boat. At which point the search point is at the 1 on those images that jonnyram posted just west of the desert in the sea (in a portion the boat normally can't enter, but will be able to after the upgrade).

I have no idea when you can start it, but it seems you can't miss it.

XD Well I meant where, but I did get the crane, I mentioned it to you remember? And hah, I never realized that I was able to access those areas now. So it's just random luck if the shells there. Alright!

Wow. I thought I had missed obtaining Rita's "Meteor Storm."

(I thought you had to do the event before entering the final dungeon)

But I just went to the place and got it. Overlimit + Meteor Storm spam = total lagfest :lol

Darkman M said:
Im so fucking pissed right now, Ive done all the secret missions up to secret mission 16 and now i find out that i can't complete it because of some random sub event early in the game i didn't get. This is unfuckinbelievable! No point of me even bothering with the rest of them.

I feel for you man. I just passed that part and I was so mad that I'm screwed for this secret mission. I took it out on the boss though, finished that damn boss with a mystic arte for an ultra kill.

kiryogi said:
XD Well I meant where, but I did get the crane, I mentioned it to you remember? And hah, I never realized that I was able to access those areas now. So it's just random luck if the shells there. Alright!

No, I don't think it is random luck, but I've only gotten it like 2-3 times (all I needed, will do it some more).

It was there as soon as I could access it, then once I raided it the first time, I flew to Mantaic and rested in the Inn. It was there for plundering right away. So, I guess you just need to rest in an Inn?

kiryogi

Banned
:/ Is there an accessory that raises stealing rate. I noticed my biggest problem with the current battle is that I spend way too much time trying to steal their weapons.

kiryogi

Banned
Himuro said:
Yep yep.

Apparently I missed a spell for Rita? Aeana told me there's a spell you can get in Aspio. You have to examine a book and then sleep at Caupo Nor or something. I couldn't find a book at all.

Yeah, negative gate. It's in the bookcase near the merchant.

Himuro said:
Yep yep.

Apparently I missed a spell for Rita? Aeana told me there's a spell you can get in Aspio. You have to examine a book and then sleep at Caupo Nor or something. I couldn't find a book at all.

Don't worry. Bloody Howling isn't missable and it is nearly as good as it was in Abyss! :lol

kiryogi

Banned
Jonnyram said:
You don't get the spell itself though, right? Not until the end of the game.

Negative Gate? I was able to get it before the end of part 2/3. I probably could have triggered it earlier maybe had I know where the book was. You just grab it, then sleep @ Torim as suggested and you'll see an event where Rita's studying it and lightbulb! Negative Gate get. You must be thinking of some other spell.

Boss fight about 30 hours in.

Against Schwann. Is there anything I can do once he sets an exploding trap on me? The battle can go my way beautifully for a while, but once he overlimits, he hits everyone with traps repeatedly and, without a healer, it's basically a countdown to my death.

Jonnyram

kiryogi said:
Negative Gate? I was able to get it before the end of part 2/3. I probably could have triggered it earlier maybe had I know where the book was. You just grab it, then sleep @ Torim as suggested and you'll see an event where Rita's studying it and lightbulb! Negative Gate get. You must be thinking of some other spell.
There's just too much optional stuff in this. I'm so confused :(

kiryogi

Banned
ShockingAlberto said:
Boss fight about 30 hours in.

Against Schwann. Is there anything I can do once he sets an exploding trap on me? The battle can go my way beautifully for a while, but once he overlimits, he hits everyone with traps repeatedly and, without a healer, it's basically a countdown to my death.

Heh. He won't be the only one using it. Just block until it explodes, which reduces the damage you receive significantly.

Tamanon

Banned
Damn dude, about 30 hours in and shit just starts falling apart! Tweest!
I thought Raven was nobility but didn't expect that!
, I'm on
Heracles
right now, couldn't go on with another long dungeon this late.

Rimshot

I'm thinking about buying this RPG as well and playing it after IU. But I do got one question. Is there a reason one should not buy the ASIAN version with english language of this version instead of the US version?

The ASIAN version has the same cover as the US limited (imo better then the blue cover) and is 15 bucks cheaper and has english language and works on US machines.

Aeana

I just beat the gigant guy in Zaude... wow, what a fight. I still haven't managed to pull off a mystic arte after that first time I did it, though... I just don't know what I'm doing wrong. I initiate a burst arte immediately after going into overlimit, then I hold B (attack)... and nothing happens after the burst arte completes. And I do this from overlimit 3 or 4 like it says. :(

EDIT: Wow, I'm a retard. I didn't know you could activate different levels of overlimits. I thought if you just used it when the gauge said the number, that's the level you got. Oops.

Rimshot

Woho I bought this (asian english language version(regionfree for us consoles)) and Japanese candy for 45 dollars including shipping :)

Indrew

Neo Member
Aeana said:
EDIT: Wow, I'm a retard. I didn't know you could activate different levels of overlimits. I thought if you just used it when the gauge said the number, that's the level you got. Oops.

How do you do that?

Aeana

Indrew said:
How do you do that?

The different directions on the dpad. If you have the Limit Quatro, then it's right for level 1, down for level 2, left for level 3 and up for level 4.

eznark

Banned
Aeana said:
The different directions on the dpad. If you have the Limit Quatro, then it's right for level 1, down for level 2, left for level 3 and up for level 4.

I just made it through the first forest and into the second town...should I know what the hell you are talking about?

Indrew

Neo Member
Aeana said:

Thanks! I've always just pressed up, which is probably why I never noticed the differences.

Rimshot

WrikaWrek said:
Anyone knows of the asian version is region free?

It was coming out today right? BlimBlim? You there? :lol

The asian version is regionfree between NTSC-J and NTSC-U consoles.

eznark

Banned
Geoff9920 said:

cool, thanks. I sort of like how they are slowly unrolling the different skills and unique aspects of the game (I just learned cooking like 2 hours in) but at the same time the game feels really shallow right now, especially the combat. The only other Tales game I played was Symphonia, and that seemed like you got a new combat skill way more often. I'm hoping the pace of that starts to pick up.

Aeana

eznark said:
cool, thanks. I sort of like how they are slowly unrolling the different skills and unique aspects of the game (I just learned cooking like 2 hours in) but at the same time the game feels really shallow right now, especially the combat. The only other Tales game I played was Symphonia, and that seemed like you got a new combat skill way more often. I'm hoping the pace of that starts to pick up.

That's how I felt, too. I hated the combat in Symphonia and Abyss; Vesperia felt like more of the same until several hours into the game, when I started getting a good amount of neat skills that transformed the combat considerably. Especially when you get the
aerial artes
skills and backstep and other stuff like that.
Fatal strikes
also add a really neat aspect to the combat, and they very well may be responsible for my overall enjoyment of the combat in this game, too.

garath

Argh.. I sold off a few weapons RIGHT before I talked with a synth hint guy that said NOT to. Then insult to injury I read about some synths that can only be created with the characters original weapon? How much will I miss if I sold off a few original weapons? It doesn't count buying replacements? I guess I'm not that far in (maybe 8 hours) but I really don't relish the thought of starting over.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
garath said:
Argh.. I sold off a few weapons RIGHT before I talked with a synth hint guy that said NOT to. Then insult to injury I read about some synths that can only be created with the characters original weapon? How much will I miss if I sold off a few original weapons? It doesn't count buying replacements? I guess I'm not that far in (maybe 8 hours) but I really don't relish the thought of starting over.
There's always a New Game+. I'm sure there are plenty of things that will be missed on the first run. I actually never sold anything instinctively and by the time I hit the tut on Synthesizing I proceeded to sell old armor since I knew it was safe.

eznark

Banned
Aeana said:
That's how I felt, too. I hated the combat in Symphonia and Abyss; Vesperia felt like more of the same until several hours into the game, when I started getting a good amount of neat skills that transformed the combat considerably. Especially when you get the
aerial artes
skills and backstep and other stuff like that.
Fatal strikes
also add a really neat aspect to the combat, and they very well may be responsible for my overall enjoyment of the combat in this game, too.

I figured it must get at least somewhat deeper, just based on previous experience, just feel like it's coming slow.

I look forward to the depth.

Gibbo

Guys is my Xbox dying?

Just bought the game. And during the opening scene (After choosing New game); the narrative video that follows seems to be slightly jerky. Its not too major, but annoyingly noticeable. Sound moves along fine though.

Aeana

Gibbo said:
Guys is my Xbox dying?

Just bought the game. And during the opening scene (After choosing New game); the narrative video that follows seems to be slightly jerky. Its not too major, but annoyingly noticeable. Sound moves along fine though.

Nope, it happened to me as well, and my 360 is pretty new. It seems like all movies jerk just a tad.

Jonnyram

Woo, I'm on the final dungeon! The music is awesome.
I have to go back out to do a load of side quests and shit though. I just came in to get some ingredients. It's HUGE :O

Top Bottom