• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Tales of Vesperia |OT|

mochuuu

PSN Community Mgr.
Just started playing this game last night and holy crap, how did I not know there was multiplayer combat! Sorry, I'm new to the Tales series, so if this is expected in their games, it's news to me.

Tamanon

Banned
mochuuu said:
Just started playing this game last night and holy crap, how did I not know there was multiplayer combat! Sorry, I'm new to the Tales series, so if this is expected in their games, it's news to me.

Yup, even going back to the PsOne, Tales games are multiplayer, I assume the SNES ones are too.

And for all the talk about 360's breaking, I had something worse happen last night. My 48" HDTV broke, first the sound went out, found a save spot and tried unplugging it, now it won't even turn back on.:(

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
Jonnyram said:
Woo, I'm on the final dungeon! The music is awesome.
I have to go back out to do a load of side quests and shit though. I just came in to get some ingredients. It's HUGE :O
Awesome music in a Tales game does not compute (Legendia excluded).

What would you say is the halfway mark? I'm 30 hours in and just saw
Don die

Jonnyram said:
I have to go back out to do a load of side quests and shit though. I just came in to get some ingredients. It's HUGE :O

If you find Repede's weapon, let me know where you found it :lol

(Though I did just start my unknown file... I am at the very very beginning)

Spruchy

Jonnyram said:

I think its stupid that
you have to go in and out of it to get 2 of the fell arms

One more class to go then back to sidequesting, hooray.

Aeana

Jonnyram said:

How much further would you say I have to go? I just
met Undine and saved Nordopolica

Aeana said:
How much further would you say I have to go? I just
met Undine and saved Nordopolica

You need to get the last 3 spirits, then theres not a whole lot left before the final dungeon I think. For reference I finished the story at 45 hours doing no side quests.

Anyway, the sheer number of missables in this game is incredibly annoying. Hopefully in a few days when I finish Undiscovery a decent guide will be out (or Kouli will have his finished) with all the permanent missables.

Darkman M

Yuri is probably my favorite Lead protagonist in a jrpg ever, it's gonna be tough going back to the whiny spiky hair type kids as leads : (

Man, what the hell.

I start using Raven and he has the same problem as Estelle. No matter what orders I give (including "DO NOT USE ARTES"), he will keep using Love Shot until he runs out of MP.

Blackjack

ShockingAlberto said:
Man, what the hell.

I start using Raven and he has the same problem as Estelle. No matter what orders I give (including "DO NOT USE ARTES"), he will keep using Love Shot until he runs out of MP.
I'd say to turn it off, but... Love Shot is really the only thing Raven is good for.

Aurora

So here's the deal. I really want to play ToV, but I live in Europe. If someone would be so kind as to send me their NA 360 along with a copy of the game, I'd write them a love letter a month till the end of time <3

AndresON777

shooting blanks
I just beat that ghost ship thing and got to the city after it...how far do I have left to go? After Dahgrost or whatever I was scared the game was over but then it kept going so I was very happy...only like 21 hours in cuz I'm slow, I hope there's a lot left

ChrisGoldstein said:
I just beat that ghost ship thing and got to the city after it...how far do I have left to go? After Dahgrost or whatever I was scared the game was over but then it kept going so I was very happy...only like 21 hours in cuz I'm slow, I hope there's a lot left
You've got quite a while left to go. You only just started part 2.

Tamanon

Banned
ShockingAlberto said:
*rubs neck*

Heracles
(dungeon) is a huge pain.

Yeah it is, I keep getting this nagging feeling that I'm leaving some big secret section behind the farther I go. Plus it sucks with no
Estelle

Id.

garath said:
Argh.. I sold off a few weapons RIGHT before I talked with a synth hint guy that said NOT to. Then insult to injury I read about some synths that can only be created with the characters original weapon? How much will I miss if I sold off a few original weapons? It doesn't count buying replacements? I guess I'm not that far in (maybe 8 hours) but I really don't relish the thought of starting over.
Well you're only 8 hours in, so you could easily go back and buy whatever weapons you originally had and synthesize newer weapons that required older weapons. It's not too late! I made the same mistake selling some weapons, but I was fortunate enough to buy them again.

gregor7777 said:
Good lord, I missed almost everything so far. :lol

I missed so much I'm not even going to bother trying to get anything on this first playthrough. I know I will play this game again after racking up a crapload of grade

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Tamanon said:
Yeah it is, I keep getting this nagging feeling that I'm leaving some big secret section behind the farther I go. Plus it sucks with no
Estelle

That's where I'm at too.
I need to destroy the green blastia thing for the final door barrier to fall but I have no idea how. Running around this place with no Estelle is hell, I'm slowly withering away.

No wait, nevermind, I suck.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Jamesfrom818 said:
I'm at 30 hours and I'm probably somewhere between 17-20 hours for a normal playthrough without excessive grinding. I just really enjoy the battle system.
Same here. Everytime someone levels when I'm done grinding I just level the rest. FUN BATTLES

JSnake

Hey guys, I'm working on a review of this game for the site I write for. Would any of you be interested in seeing it once I finish?

LiquidMetal14

Update on my progress....I'm at the savepoint in that tower with the tornado swirling around it, about level 34 on everyone. Good? I like to stay ahead of the curve. I'm at about the 14 hour mark as well so I don't know how heavy I'm realy grinding. Money hasn't been an issue either. And for as well off as I feel in the leveling department, I still struggle with the main bosses at times. They don't milk me dry of my items but it does push me a little.

Firestorm

I'm almost at 15 hours. Just finished the
coliseum
. I have a question. When I fought
Flynn, could I have used the magic lens? I don't want to have missed him. I have a save file just before I did the fights if he's a part of the monster book. He just attacked way too friggin fast. Coliseum fights are a cinch with Fatal Strikes.

Also got a question about EXP Share. Who's supposed to have the skill active? The ones that aren't fighting and need the exp or the ones fighting? If it's the ones fighting, does having multiple characters with it help? Do the characters fighting get a boost from it?

LiquidMetal14 said:
Update on my progress....I'm at the savepoint in that tower with the tornado swirling around it, about level 34 on everyone. Good? I like to stay ahead of the curve. I'm at about the 14 hour mark as well so I don't know how heavy I'm realy grinding. Money hasn't been an issue either. And for as well off as I feel in the leveling department, I still struggle with the main bosses at times. They don't milk me dry of my items but it does push me a little.
The tower beside
Dahngrest
? I was level 20 or 22 around there and had absolutely no problems so you should be good to go.

Darkman M

LiquidMetal14 said:

Your well ahead of the game, i was maybe in my mid 20's at that point. I think im gonna do alot of the sidequest my first play thorough, then grind it out to lv 200 my second being with the grade bonus you level much quick and can do the secret dungeon.

Darkman M

Firestorm said:
coliseum
Flynn, could I have used the magic lens? I don't want to have missed him. I have a save file just before I did the fights if he's a part of the monster book. He just attacked way too friggin fast. Coliseum fights are a cinch with Fatal Strikes.

Also got a question about EXP Share. Who's supposed to have the skill active? The ones that aren't fighting and need the exp or the ones fighting? If it's the ones fighting, does having multiple characters with it help? Do the characters fighting get a boost from it?

The tower beside
Dahngrest
? I was level 20 or 22 around there and had absolutely no problems so you should be good to go.

1.Yes, but dont beat yourself up about it cause your gonna miss alot of shit first playthrough, i dont think anyone out there has got 100% in this game yet.

2. I dont know Ive never equipped it yet all my characters level even when they are not in battle.

LiquidMetal14

Firestorm said:
coliseum

The tower beside
Dahngrest
Yes that one. I did all the gear activating and finally reached the save point before I stopped. And thanks for respnding Darkman. I like to hear how I'm progressing compared to the curve.

Papercuts

Oh my god at the secret mission 15 boss...
I don't think the secret mission itself will be too hard, but the boss? 1 on 1 with Karol? I didn't get a single hit on him before I died, I thought his health was a joke too...why Karol of all people?
:lol

Darkman M

Papercuts said:
I don't think the secret mission itself will be too hard, but the boss? 1 on 1 with Karol? I didn't get a single hit on him before I died, I thought his health was a joke too...why Karol of all people?

Lol take yuri's advice when he says you cant win and run!

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Just beat the first ruins. Yuri is 28.

But anyway,
Sarcastic bastard
Sleeps on floors
Doesn't have a care in the world
Picks on everyone
Carries his weapon on a string.

Yep, Yuri is a cool hero. One of the funniest in a while.

Papercuts said:
Just use Reaper Knock whenever you get a chance. You'll get a better chance to do the mission after you use it a few times.

Tried to keep it as spoiler-free as possible.

Darkman M

Kadey said:
Just beat the first ruins. Yuri is 28.

But anyway,
Sarcastic bastard
Sleeps on floors
Doesn't have a care in the world
Picks on everyone
Carries his weapon on a string.

Yep, Yuri is a cool hero. One of the funniest in a while.

28 just on the first ruins!!? And you haven't seen the best of yuri yet :lol

purg3

slept with Malkin
Protip-when you see a save point, save. I lost 45min of gameplay because I didn't know there was a boss battle around the corner-and then I died...:lol Thank God the game is fun, so I didn't mind doing some stuff over again.

Firestorm

Darkman M said:
1.Yes, but dont beat yourself up about it cause your gonna miss alot of shit first playthrough, i dont think anyone out there has got 100% in this game yet.

2. I dont know Ive never equipped it yet all my characters level even when they are not in battle.
Ok. Another question about the same spot. I did it again and
My battle with Flynn went quite a bit longer than before. Can I actually fight him until I beat him?

As for the EXP thing, I think the ones not in battle gain EXP slower than the others. But with EXP Share, they gain it at the same rate.

By the way, what the heck is "LP"?

Papercuts

Firestorm said:
Ok. Another question about the same spot. I did it again and
My battle with Flynn went quite a bit longer than before. Can I actually fight him until I beat him?

As for the EXP thing, I think the ones not in battle gain EXP slower than the others. But with EXP Share, they gain it at the same rate.

By the way, what the heck is "LP"?

You can't actually beat him, it'll always be interrupted.

For EXP share, if you set it to someone outside of the party they gain the bonus EXP everyone in the battle gets when without it they just get the base EXP.

Not sure about LP.

purg3

slept with Malkin
Blackjack said:
Who doesn't save when they see a save point? :lol But then, I'm a compulsive saver.

lol, I saw a chest so I ran past the save point and it automatically triggered the battle.

Top Bottom