• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Tales of Vesperia |OT|

Tamanon

Banned
FateBreaker said:
*don't highlight the spoiler note if you aren't near the end of the game*

Raven!!
he was Schwann?! ZOMG. did anyone see this coming?

That's near the middle of the game, but yeah I was thrown by it nonetheless. Awesome twist.

FateBreaker said:

Raven!!
I figured he was working for the Empire, but didn't think he was Schwann. It wasn't as big a deal as it should have been, since we knew jack all about Schwann to begin with.

Id.

Finally, FINALLY, I freaking manage to
hit Yeager with Raven's arte Rain after guard breaking his ass, netting me the secret mission 17 achievement!
:lol

Onward!

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Alright, 2/3 point reached. Awesome.

And WOW at Secret Mission 17, how the hell is that possible...
first off, a guard break is a split second. On top of that, it's hard to even notice. What the hell. Seriously. I even set it on easy to try and see how sitting back waiting to strike went, along with setting the AI on full attack to hopefully guard break him, but it's too fucking hard to time. It's almost complete luck to fire just before it gets broken.

kiryogi

Banned
Papercuts said:
Alright, 2/3 point reached. Awesome.

And WOW at Secret Mission 17, how the hell is that possible...
first off, a guard break is a split second. On top of that, it's hard to even notice. What the hell. Seriously. I even set it on easy to try and see how sitting back waiting to strike went, along with setting the AI on full attack to hopefully guard break him, but it's too fucking hard to time. It's almost complete luck to fire just before it gets broken.

Well in this case, this guard break actually leaves him in a special animation for a little brief period. It's not like a normal one.

Id. said:
Finally, FINALLY, I freaking manage to
hit Yeager with Raven's arte Rain after guard breaking his ass, netting me the secret mission 17 achievement!
:lol

Onward!
I looked up the achievement for that, realized I already was in battle with the wrong characters, shrugged, and just beat him.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Whoo, just got the 100pt achievement for
getting the water blastia back from the secret mission inthe tower
. Was shocked since I have not been following a guide. Will do so on my second run through.

LiquidMetal14 said:
. Was shocked since I have not been following a guide. Will do so on my second run through.
The best missions are the ones that have an appreciable effect on your battle.

The other ones are just "DO THIS RANDOM THING YOU'D NEVER THINK OF DURING THIS ONE FRAME OF ANIMATION".

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
The third boss was really, really hard. It was so hard to position him the right way but I did it!

KingJ2002

FateBreaker said:

Raven!!

seriously... i didnt expect him to be schwann... the plot twist of him working for the empire only "half" threw me off... him being schwann threw me the fuck off... but him being a walking corpse i kind of expected it... especially with his knowledge of everything, knowing duke and that comment he made about "pride and blah blah blah means nothing to a dead man"... it just cemented it all... he reminded me of auron from ffx... in fact throught the entire time he was just a goofy version of him IMO... dah well im in halure now after passing through the ice... i wonder if im near the end of the game.

Tamanon

Banned
KingJ2002 said:
seriously... i didnt expect him to be schwann... the plot twist of him working for the empire only "half" threw me off... him being schwann threw me the fuck off... but him being a walking corpse i kind of expected it... especially with his knowledge of everything, knowing duke and that comment he made about "pride and blah blah blah means nothing to a dead man"... it just cemented it all... he reminded me of auron from ffx... in fact throught the entire time he was just a goofy version of him IMO... dah well im in halure now after passing through the ice... i wonder if im near the end of the game.

You're maybe halfway through.

And Kev, keep in mind if any boss battle gets too tough that you can always adjust the difficulty for that boss and then switch it back after.

Firestorm

LiquidMetal14 said:
Isn't that a story-related one that everyone gets?

Firestorm

Holy crap!
Yaeger = Regeay backwards!
mind blown
Just fought desert boss and died. I should stop being so stingy on buying Pineapple and Orange Gels...

purg3

slept with Malkin
Yuri is such a fucking badass :lol
I was like woah, when he up and killed the guy(forget his name) on the bridge in Dahngrest(sp?).
He just seems to be the complete opposite of most jrpg lead characters, and that's probably why I'm liking this game so much.

Also,
the seduction part in Helliord was some funny shit. Especially Judith's costume

I've only played about 20+hours now, but it's already becoming one of my fav jrpg's.

Firestorm

Spruchy said:
Grade farming is honestly kinda boring, especially since you need 20000 for all the good shit.
At least with Fatal Strikes and stuff it's a lot easier to get grade in this game. I'm hardly ever negative in grade and each boss fight usually gives me more than 20. In the old games I was negative half the time =P

Onto Fatal Strikes again, if I press the LB button as Yuri Rita is doing Spread to get a fatal strike glyph, will she do the fatal strike? Also, how come I see a flash so often but can't do a fatal strike?

Spruchy

Firestorm said:
At least with Fatal Strikes and stuff it's a lot easier to get grade in this game. I'm hardly ever negative in grade and each boss fight usually gives me more than 20. In the old games I was negative half the time =P

Yeah but they inflated both how much you get and how much you need so its not that much improved ;[, although with exploits you get about a 1000 per 15 mins its just boring as hell.

Akira

Ok, I ended up getting this game along with my 60GB Xbox 360 today. First impression of the game is that the gameplay is very clean and the graphics are quite nice. It just feels very solid, almost great at times. Still not a huge fan of the super deformed characters, I much prefer the animated cutscenes' artstyle, but I can overlook that.

I'm still wondering if I made the right decision between this and IU though. :D

Caj814

Got a couple hours in so far but I was wondering around what level or hours you have to clock in to start getting the skills needed to do some linkable artes into overlimits?Also are there any moments where the AI members are completely unresponsive and idiotic or is it relatively good for most of the game?

LordK

purg3 said:
I was like woah, when he up and killed the guy(forget his name) on the bridge in Dahngrest(sp?).

His name was
Ragou

So I just beat the game two nights ago. I guess I was overpowered because the last boss was a push over. So I had some plot questions if anyone could answer:

Seriously, did nobody know that Sodia stabbed Yuri? The dialogue in the game gets awkward often and I have a hard time knowing what the crap they're even talking about. But this really confused me. Everyone is watching Yuri at the top and then Sodia either has to run past them into their view to stab him. Not only that, the fool flies off the top and into the water and NOBODY manages to see Sodia at the top there with the bloody dagger on the ground? This doesn't piss me off or anything, I'm just curious.

My second question would be what happens to Yeager's two little girls? It's probably a side quest I didn't do. But the last time I saw them was when I killed Yeager. Then they just ran off.

kiryogi

Banned
copybeaver said:
His name was
Ragou

So I just beat the game two nights ago. I guess I was overpowered because the last boss was a push over. So I had some plot questions if anyone could answer:

Seriously, did nobody know that Sodia stabbed Yuri? The dialogue in the game gets awkward often and I have a hard time knowing what the crap they're even talking about. But this really confused me. Everyone is watching Yuri at the top and then Sodia either has to run past them into their view to stab him. Not only that, the fool flies off the top and into the water and NOBODY manages to see Sodia at the top there with the bloody dagger on the ground? This doesn't piss me off or anything, I'm just curious.

My second question would be what happens to Yeager's two little girls? It's probably a side quest I didn't do. But the last time I saw them was when I killed Yeager. Then they just ran off.

They're a sidequest
In fact you can fight them

If you really think you're overpowered, then raise the difficulty :D

2DMention

Banned
Probably a stupid ? that I should know better by now, but what difference does it make if you get a better grade? Does it raise your XP? I've never played a Tales game before this one.

Aeana

2DMention said:
Probably a stupid ? that I should know better by now, but what difference does it make if you get a better grade? Does it raise your XP? I've never played a Tales game before this one.

Grade is used to purchase bonuses in a new game plus. Stuff like 10x experience, 2x gald, transferring your artes from your last game into the new one, and so on.

2DMention

Banned
Aeana said:
Grade is used to purchase bonuses in a new game plus. Stuff like 10x experience, 2x gald, transferring your artes from your last game into the new one, and so on.

So this is a game designed for multiple play throughs? I was gonna sell this after beating it. (I have a hard time paying $60 for games)

Beezy

2DMention said:
So this is a game designed for multiple play throughs? I was gonna sell this after beating it. (I have a hard time paying $60 for games)
Yeah, but you don't have to play through it multiple times if you just want to know how the story ends.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
So where the hell is the manor of the wicked? :p Seriously, the game says "Go east of dahngrest", but I can find nothing outside of a pile of stones in a meadow.

Nevermind, I found it. It's to the f*cking west, not the east (despite the fact that the log CLEARLY states EAST). I recall Raven mentioning West, I suppose, but I don't see why they would note the wrong direction. That's kind of annoying...

LiquidMetal14

dark10x said:
So where the hell is the manor of the wicked? :p Seriously, the game says "Go east of dahngrest", but I can find nothing outside of a pile of stones in a meadow.

Nevermind, I found it. It's to the f*cking west, not the east (despite the fact that the log CLEARLY states EAST). I recall Raven mentioning West, I suppose, but I don't see why they would note the wrong direction. That's kind of annoying...
Maybe if you go far enough EAST you will get a sort of dummy achievement :O. That is messed up that they would word that wrong though.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
The top of Ehmead Hill was absolutely gorgeous. The game has a weird look at times-- like the textures are very plain or blurry and have that gourad shading look at times-- but man, when the screen is bursting with color and effects, the art style just matches what they're doing visually so well and it's GORGEOUS.

JaMarco

Y2Kev said:
The top of Ehmead Hill was absolutely gorgeous. The game has a weird look at times-- like the textures are very plain or blurry and have that gourad shading look at times-- but man, when the screen is bursting with color and effects, the art style just matches what they're doing visually so well and it's GORGEOUS.
your right

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Y2Kev said:
They textures are designed to look like a painted backdrop and I think it succeeds very nicely. They only go for sharp patterns when it is fitting, but in general, they try to avoid any hard edges. The same technique was used with Symphonia on Gamecube (though not to the same level of quality, of course).

Tamanon

Banned
dark10x said:

It's annoying, you have to leave the town from the east, but then you basically go west the whole time.:lol

2DMention

Banned
Holy shit!
I'm having trouble with the boss of the forest after the guild town. It's some kind of scorpion, and I use up all my life bottles, TP on it. I'm lvl 24. Do I need to do some serious grinding?

LiquidMetal14

2DMention said:
Holy shit!
I'm having trouble with the boss of the forest after the guild town. It's some kind of scorpion, and I use up all my life bottles, TP on it. I'm lvl 24. Do I need to do some serious grinding?
Have shortcuts for the Etelles healing spells. And keep and eye on your meter to use the bigger moves as much as you can. I have Estelle heal almost the entire match, keep an eye on here TP. And a few levels might not hurt.

Jonnyram

So what was that weapon you were after in the last dungeon, My Arms? I think the Japanese name was Fuurinkazan (Warrior's pride or something?). I found it. If you go up the middle section from the start, then back outside of the tower, you go up, up, up, quite some way. Then there are some steps going back down again, to the left, with one of the grasshopper enemies. It's in a chest there. I think it's easy to miss the fact that there are steps going down there.

LCfiner

So I guess I'm behind most of you guys in this thread. I played 6 hours yesterday and I am really enjoying this one. It's just so charming.

The combat has been so addictive. It's one of the first RPGs where I go around looking for fights every couple steps cuz they're always so much fun. mixing up the combos and the artes is great. And the post battle quips are also great. my favorite is between Estelle and Rita:

E: Put your hand up
R: Like.. this?
E *jumps up and slaps hand* yay!
R: wha... what was that?

very cute. I like how it refers back to an earlier cutscene between her and Yuri.

I'm switching back and forth between this one and Infinite Undiscovery. the difference in style is pretty jarring. I may have to put IU down for a couple days and focus only Vesperia. I'm enjoying IU but I'm more vested in Vesperia's story and combat right now.

It also doesn't help that Vesperia uses A as power attack and b as quick attack, whereas IU uses A as quick attack and B as power attack.

Jonnyram

LCfiner said:
It also doesn't help that Vesperia uses A as power attack and b as quick attack, whereas IU uses A as quick attack and B as power attack.
Dunno about IU but I know you can configure the buttons in Vesperia, at least.

Tamanon

Banned
LCfiner said:
So I guess I'm behind most of you guys in this thread. I played 6 hours yesterday and I am really enjoying this one. It's just so charming.

The combat has been so addictive. It's one of the first RPGs where I go around looking for fights every couple steps cuz they're always so much fun. mixing up the combos and the artes is great. And the post battle quips are also great. my favorite is between Estelle and Rita:

E: Put your hand up
R: Like.. this?
E *jumps up and slaps hand* yay!
R: wha... what was that?

very cute. I like how it refers back to an earlier cutscene between her and Yuri.

I'm switching back and forth between this one and Infinite Undiscovery. the difference in style is pretty jarring. I may have to put IU down for a couple days and focus only Vesperia. I'm enjoying IU but I'm more vested in Vesperia's story and combat right now.

You'll enjoy the variations of that quip.:lol Also keep in mind under settings you can switch your attack buttons.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Can someone teach a half-retarded gamer how to pull off Fatal Strikes? I just got the tutorial, but in the dozens of battles after, I can't seem to pull off a single colored-glyph thingie on an enemy to use one. I try regular attacks, and damn near every Arte Yuri has and nothing.

Help me GAF!

Top Bottom