• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Tales of Vesperia |OT|

JSnake said:
So the final boss'
third form
is practically impossible on normal levels even on normal mode. The guy's level 82 and does about 800 damage with each sword swing. Dude ain't slow either. I'm level 65. Time to grind, I guess. Man I thought I'd beat this game within the 70 hour mark.

No. You're just bad apparently. I did it at that same level on Hard with Raven and Karol for healing and had zero issues.

Shining Fang + lots of spells = lol

Love Shot >>>>>>>> Big Bang

Firestorm

Ok. Thank god. I got it. I had to sleep in the inn TWICE after I got back. First to get the skill for Judith and the second time got me the Mother's Memento. The Secret Missions are the one thing I wanna get all of on my first playthrough. Hoping to do monster book too.

I hope the secret bosses or dungeons are missable -_-

Had to search GameFAQs board. Which was hard because 100% of the people with the question spelled memento wrong.

Spruchy

Man I was about to come on here and write what a challenging yet fun boss the last boss was but then he pulled an mystic arte out of his ass that 1 shotted my party. Fun stuff.

purg3

slept with Malkin
Firestorm said:
Ok. Thank god. I got it. I had to sleep in the inn TWICE after I got back. First to get the skill for Judith and the second time got me the Mother's Momento. The Secret Missions are the one thing I wanna get all of on my first playthrough. Hoping to do monster book too.

I hope the secret bosses or dungeons are missable -_-

Yeah some of those are a pain. I was never able to get one of Yuri's artes because I couldn't get the event in Nordopolika to trigger-I slept in the inn numerous times and it never happened...Not sure if I'll get another chance to pick it up.

Darkman M

purg3 said:
Yeah some of those are a pain. I was never able to get one of Yuri's artes because I couldn't get the event in Nordopolika to trigger-I slept in the inn numerous times and it never happened...Not sure if I'll get another chance to pick it up.

If you are talking about tiger blade, that event occurs at zaphias the capital city.

purg3

slept with Malkin
Darkman M said:
If you are talking about tiger blade, that event occurs at zaphias the capital city.

No, I got tiger blade. I'm following Kouli's event chart, and it says "Speak With The Couple At The South And Rest At The Inn For Yuri To Learn Gishousen (Finding Clay Part 3)." Everything else in that guide has worked fine for me except this.

Darkman M

purg3 said:
No, I got tiger blade. I'm following Kouli's event chart, and it says "Speak With The Couple At The South And Rest At The Inn For Yuri To Learn Gishousen (Finding Clay Part 3)." Everything else in that guide has worked fine for me except this.

Interesting im gonna try it out.

purg3

slept with Malkin
Darkman M said:
Interesting im gonna try it out.

Blah, I think it has a small window of getting it from what I've read-
it has to be done before you fight Zagi in the coliseum.
But I swear I did that too. Oh well, looks like no Dark Enforcer costume on this playthrough.

Paznos

Spruchy said:
Haste makes waste.

If you don't do any sidequests or anything you can be done in about 10 hours.
Cool Thanks, I was thinking it would be about that much time left, but I'll be doing some sidequests for sure.

Sushen

How do I beat that creature in the desert after oasis? That thing damages anyone that comes close to it... I'm at around lvl 31, 32 using Yuri, Estelle, Raven and Judy. Any recommendations?

Firestorm

Sushen said:
How do I beat that creature in the desert after oasis? That thing damages anyone that comes close to it... I'm at around lvl 31, 32 using Yuri, Estelle, Raven and Judy. Any recommendations?
Hm, I made heavy use of Rita for him. I destroyed the orb that comes out (use Judith's air artes for your team) and then spammed overlimit spread.

Spruchy said:
Man I was about to come on here and write what a challenging yet fun boss the last boss was but then he pulled an mystic arte out of his ass that 1 shotted my party. Fun stuff.
Brave Vesperia?

Anyway, tried out the Rita grade farming trick. First try 1800 GP. :D

Full purchase grade shop... you will be mine. >=D

am I the only one that finds it lame that you cant do a Azure Edge right after using a wailing havok and have it be apart of the same combo? the pause is there, it would be really cool flow (try it out to see what I mean)

Darkman M

PseudoKirby said:
am I the only one that finds it lame that you cant do a Azure Edge right after using a wailing havok and have it be apart of the same combo? the pause is there, it would be really cool flow (try it out to see what I mean)

Probably can with the right super chain ability, but im not sure.

Tamanon

Banned
purg3 said:

Yeah, you can do that one right after leaving Nord for the first time, it's actually a really cool move too, does good damage and a great finisher.

2DMention

Banned
Well, I have to say it's somewhat annoying that they cock tease you with party members leaving, and then 5 minutes later.. Oh yea, we're back.

I like it in games like FFIV when party members come and go based on the story. Some times that happens in this game, but often they come and go. IF you're going to keep characters in the game, keep them in. Don't pretend like they're gonna leave and then "ok, we're back."

JSnake

My Arms Your Hearse said:
No. You're just bad apparently. I did it at that same level on Hard with Raven and Karol for healing and had zero issues.

Shining Fang + lots of spells = lol

Love Shot >>>>>>>> Big Bang

Well maybe it's not that I suck but you're just godlike. >_>

I've really been enjoying this game. It's a lot better than I figured it would be, which seems to be a trend with me and Tales games. I can't wait to get off of work so I can go play it.

PseudoKirby said:

super chain 4 or 5 lets you do this.

Fady K

ZealousD said:
I'm still waiting to get my LE, along with a 360, so shut your mouth!

I have my 360, I would love to play this game, but im holding out for now *in case* of a PS3 port with extras. I couldnt wait if i didnt have like....at least 15 RPGs I want to finish in my backlog right now :lol

Spruchy said:
Beat it. Amazing Game. Boring Ending.

Sweet! How was the story overall? (And how would you compare it, say, any other RPG stories you've went through in the past few years?)

mugwhump

How far am I about 40 hours in, haven't got the zoomzoom plane.
About to go to mt.Temza

It always pisses me off how I get a FS mark in the middle of a multihit arte then lose it when the next hits connect. But shouldn't those next hits count towards the FS chain? Since I'm attacking with the same colored arte...
Of course, I'm assuming that if you attack with the same color arte as the FS mark you just got, you'll always get another FS mark...

And do normal attacks (not holding any direction) deplete the FS gauge?

mugwhump said:
How far am I about 40 hours in, haven't got the zoomzoom plane.

And do normal attacks (not holding any direction) deplete the FS gauge?

yes, they count IF all hits connect AND if all the hits are of the same type (always holding the same direction throughout the combo).

mugwhump

Drinky Crow said:
yes, they count IF all hits connect AND if all the hits are of the same type (always holding the same direction throughout the combo).
?
Does that mean if I attack forward, down, forward, down, I won't deplete any FS gauge? I'd thought it would deplete some green forward gauge and some red down gauge.

kiryogi

Banned
mugwhump said:
?
Does that mean if I attack forward, down, forward, down, I won't deplete any FS gauge? I'd thought it would deplete some green forward gauge and some red down gauge.

One thing to look for is usually it'll flash the color you're depleting when you're chaining them properly.

mugwhump

kiryogi said:
One thing to look for is usually it'll flash the color you're depleting when you're chaining them properly.
Are you talking about FS chains? Cuz I was just talking about depleting the gauge there...

Are you saying you can use normal attacks as part of a FS chain? :O
I thought you just had to repeatedly do artes of the same alignment...

Tamanon

Banned
Man, I'm surprised, normally I'd be pissed and bored playing through the story that I just did the week before, but it's still just an insanely fun combat system, especially after you get FS's. Made it back to the ports again, about to fight
Zagi YET AGAIN
. Actually had the patience this time before football to get Rita's silly New Dice Master title.

Spruchy

donkey show said:
Brave Vesperia?

Anyway, tried out the Rita grade farming trick. First try 1800 GP. :D

Full purchase grade shop... you will be mine. >=D

Yep.

Did my rita grade farming before the boss, got 22k grade and bought every positive thing in the grade shop lol.

yeb

Drinky Crow said:
kiryogi said:
Neither of these sound quite right to me. It's easy to see the gauges depleting slightly when you use regular attacks, regardless of whether or not you mix directions. Also, I thought the pre-glyph color flashes were just an indication of that gauge getting low? (so you don't have to hit RB all the time)

Firestorm

Now I'm confused as to what an FS chain is. How come sometimes the emblem doesn't stay out long enough for you to hit RB?

I know what you mean crowphoenix, I wanna go home and play :(

Blackjack

Warnen said:
Can some tell me how to use the "Specail" skill. I can't pull it off.
Go into Overlimit level 3 (You need to synth the Limit Trio), use an Arcane Arte and hold down the 'Attack' button.

My own question: Just finished Mt. Temza and have no idea where to go. The Synopsis isn't really helping me any, either.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Blackjack said:
Go into Overlimit level 3 (You need to synth the Limit Trio), use an Arcane Arte and hold down the 'Attack' button.

My own question: Just finished Mt. Temza and have no idea where to go. The Synopsis isn't really helping me any, either.

Have the 4th lvl OL thing, must just not have the timing down.

go to the ??? place in the desert near by that you needed water in before. You can get to it by air

So... anyone with DETAILED instructions for getting the Kingdom Celeb title for Yuri?

I've done everything a myriad of guides has told me to do to NO avail. The person that is supposed to be sitting on the bench to give me the title and skill is not there, and doesn't really appear like they ever will be.

It's maddening.

Blackjack

Warnen said:

go to the ??? place in the desert near by that you needed water in before. You can get to it by air
Aside from the obvious suggestions of 'make sure you're using the third or fourth level' and 'make sure the Special skill is equipped' all I can suggest is just as soon as you start the Arcane Arte to hold down the attack button. I only have Karol's as of now and only used it once, so I can't offer more than that. Sorry.

My Arms Your Hearse said:
So... anyone with DETAILED instructions for getting the Kingdom Celeb title for Yuri?

I've done everything a myriad of guides has told me to do to NO avail. The person that is supposed to be sitting on the bench to give me the title and skill is not there, and doesn't really appear like they ever will be.

It's maddening.
1. Did you view the scene in Torim (rest at the inn when you first get there)?
2. Did you talk to the dude in the upper class section of Zaphias TWICE (once to start the "Find Clay" event, and again to learn about the woman on the bench)?

yeb

Firestorm said:
Now I'm confused as to what an FS chain is. How come sometimes the emblem doesn't stay out long enough for you to hit RB?
The color flashes have nothing to do with FS chains. When you skip a FS, there will be a dark aura around the enemy for a couple seconds - hitting the enemy with another arte of the same type will cause the glyph to reappear, creating a chain. You can keep doing it as long as the dark aura doesn't fade, but it disappears automatically if the enemy gets off an attack.

Also, I imagine you're hitting the RT too early. Wait until the glyph fully forms - the game's far more forgiving for doing a late FS than an early one.

Warnen said:
Make sure you still have some OL gauge left at the end of the burst/arcane arte you use to trigger it.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Getting the hang of Burst Artes and FS stuff and the game went from fun to mindblowingly-awesome. Nothing but love(except the lack of cutscene skip->>>>especially annoying when going for secret achievements on bosses).

Ricker

Can you get the secret missions on Bosses if you turn it down on easy?...after 3 tries on the Boss from the demo,that i thought i could beat now that i'm use to the combat,I still couldn't beat him...

Althane

Spruchy said:
Yep.

Did my rita grade farming before the boss, got 22k grade and bought every positive thing in the grade shop lol.

What is this Rita grade farming you speak of? It sounds... intruiging...

Also: Did anyone expect to get most the skills and stuff in the first playthough? I just spent an hour or two grinding out every skill I could find up to the point where I am right now (Arrived at the Colosseum town, went through the first round of the tournament and fought THAT boss)

(it's actually my friend's game, we're co-oping our way through it, I just decided to do some grinding)

Blackjack

Ricker said:
Can you get the secret missions on Bosses if you turn it down on easy?...after 3 tries on the Boss from the demo,that i thought i could beat now that i'm use to the combat,I still couldn't beat him...
Yup. You just won't get any Grade for the fight.

Althane said:
What is this Rita grade farming you speak of? It sounds... intruiging...
It basically involves spamming Tidal Wave in Overlimit. Here's a video guide

TopDreg

Er... so could anybody please tell me how to get OL 3 and above? Already got past Mt. Tezma, and... yeah, still stuck with level 2.

Top Bottom