• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Tales of Vesperia |OT|

Beezy

dark10x said:
So where the hell is the manor of the wicked? :p Seriously, the game says "Go east of dahngrest", but I can find nothing outside of a pile of stones in a meadow.

Nevermind, I found it. It's to the f*cking west, not the east (despite the fact that the log CLEARLY states EAST). I recall Raven mentioning West, I suppose, but I don't see why they would note the wrong direction. That's kind of annoying...
:lol

Yeah, Raven said west. I completely forgot that there's a log in this game. I haven't used it since the beginning.

Blackjack

LCfiner said:
So I guess I'm behind most of you guys in this thread. I played 6 hours yesterday and I am really enjoying this one. It's just so charming.

The combat has been so addictive. It's one of the first RPGs where I go around looking for fights every couple steps cuz they're always so much fun. mixing up the combos and the artes is great. And the post battle quips are also great. my favorite is between Estelle and Rita:

E: Put your hand up
R: Like.. this?
E *jumps up and slaps hand* yay!
R: wha... what was that?

very cute. I like how it refers back to an earlier cutscene between her and Yuri.

I'm switching back and forth between this one and Infinite Undiscovery. the difference in style is pretty jarring. I may have to put IU down for a couple days and focus only Vesperia. I'm enjoying IU but I'm more vested in Vesperia's story and combat right now.

It also doesn't help that Vesperia uses A as power attack and b as quick attack, whereas IU uses A as quick attack and B as power attack.
The Tales games always have such excellent end battle quotes.

Estelle: We finished them off!
Yuri: I finished them off.
Estelle: ...huh?

Been a while since I've been here. Got a new computer, so things is all good.

Yeah, loving Vesperia, and think Yuri is one of the best heroes in the Tales series so far.

I got past Ehmead Hill....

But upon it's initial completion, I think the game should no longer be called Tales of Vesperia.

It should be recalled..

"Tales of Incredibly Hard Asshole Wolf Boss That Was Not Properly Play Tested"

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
Brandon F said:
Can someone teach a half-retarded gamer how to pull off Fatal Strikes? I just got the tutorial, but in the dozens of battles after, I can't seem to pull off a single colored-glyph thingie on an enemy to use one. I try regular attacks, and damn near every Arte Yuri has and nothing.

Help me GAF!
Pay attention to the colors of the artes you have equipped and constantly check the enemy's stats to see what your incompetent AI partners are doing. If you see the blue bar decreased the most, use a blue arte a couple of times and you should trigger the blue glyph.

Blackjack

The-Switcher said:
Been a while since I've been here. Got a new computer, so things is all good.

Yeah, loving Vesperia, and think Yuri is one of the best heroes in the Tales series so far.

I got past Ehmead Hill....

But upon it's initial completion, I think the game should no longer be called Tales of Vesperia.

It should be recalled..

"Tales of Incredibly Hard Asshole Wolf Boss That Was Not Properly Play Tested"
My favorite part of that fight was the scene immediately after it.

"Hah! That thing hardly put up a fight. ... uh...never mind that we used four or five life bottles, ten apple gels and six orange gels and that none of us have any TP left. DIDN'T PUT UP A FIGHT."

kiryogi

Banned
Brandon F said:
Can someone teach a half-retarded gamer how to pull off Fatal Strikes? I just got the tutorial, but in the dozens of battles after, I can't seem to pull off a single colored-glyph thingie on an enemy to use one. I try regular attacks, and damn near every Arte Yuri has and nothing.

Help me GAF!

See my explanation in the OP

Jonnyram: The Estelle/Repede one ? Probably is one of my favorites. Poor Estelle!

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I've been playing this a lot recently and I see a small ring forming on about the 1/2" mark from the center. Is this a good sign or normal? A relatively new ELITE bought in May. Halo 3 has no ring like this so I'm not sure what to make of it.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
kiryogi said:
See my explanation in the OP

Thanks. Game didn't even mention those bars in the tutorial, and I sorta get it now, seems I really have to start spamming similar artes and attacks now which kind of irks me, I suppose over time I'll get accustomed to pulling them off, but this isn't an easy learning process. :(

Does it matter which arrow bar on which enemy works best? Do certain enemies have weaknesses to say Up vs. down? Checking the monster compendium doesn't give much input there.

Blackjack

Brandon F said:
Thanks. Game didn't even mention those bars in the tutorial, and I sorta get it now, seems I really have to start spamming similar artes and attacks now which kind of irks me, I suppose over time I'll get accustomed to pulling them off, but this isn't an easy learning process. :(

Does it matter which arrow bar on which enemy works best? Do certain enemies have weaknesses to say Up vs. down? Checking the monster compendium doesn't give much input there.
The Monster Compendium doesn't say, but the battle book does. It explains it all pretty well and even tells you which FS is easiest to pull off on which class of monster.

MCD

Blackjack said:
My favorite part of that fight was the scene immediately after it.

"Hah! That thing hardly put up a fight. ... uh...never mind that we used four or five life bottles, ten apple gels and six orange gels and that none of us have any TP left. DIDN'T PUT UP A FIGHT."
for real.

fucking karol :lol

Tamanon

Banned
Brandon F said:

It sure seems that way, because some enemies get the blue FS icon a LOT quicker than other ones.

yeb

Brandon F said:
Basically...

Birds and Bugs: Weak to downwards attacks (red glyph)
Plants and Aquatics: Weak to upwards attacks (blue glyph)
Beasts and Magical enemies: Weak to horizontal attacks (green glyph)
Everything else: No weaknesses

Technically humans have no weaknesses or resistances, and the other two monster types (Scaled and Inorganic, I think) are resistant to every glyph. Also, each glyph will provide different bonuses for different families of creatures; IIRC, you get an improved drop rate for exploiting the weaknesses of the above monsters. The full details are put in the Battle Book when you obtain fatal strikes.

Tamanon said:
It sure seems that way, because some enemies get the blue FS icon a LOT quicker than other ones.
I've noticed this too. I just don't know if it's because Plants/Aquatics have a bigger weakness than other families, or if upwards attacks naturally drain the bars faster somehow.

Tamanon

Banned
Son of a.....I had started an alternate playthrough on Hard mode to get the stuff I had missed out on throughout, not sure if I wanted to do that first or finish my normal one....and I accidentally saved over my normal one. Gah! Back again to the beginning, lol.

Blackjack

Tamanon said:
Son of a.....I had started an alternate playthrough on Hard mode to get the stuff I had missed out on throughout, not sure if I wanted to do that first or finish my normal one....and I accidentally saved over my normal one. Gah! Back again to the beginning, lol.
You can change the difficulty from the menu.

Spruchy

JSnake said:
All Giganto Monsters have been slain! :D

...and yet I still can't stand up to the final boss. :/

Hey did you do them while doing the quest for slaying them? JW if the achievement is linked to it because Ive killed them all also.

JSnake

Spruchy said:
Hey did you do them while doing the quest for slaying them? JW if the achievement is linked to it because Ive killed them all also.

Yes I did do the quest with Rich. Griffin was hard btw.

Finally beat Part 2.

Boss of Part 2 took 15 life bottles, 13 Pineapple Gels, one 80 hit combo, three mystic artes, and seven Fatal Strikes in addition to just plain beating on them for a while and struggling to survive their Mystic Arte.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Fuark, I could not get the achievement for the boss fight at the
Earthquake City.
My only chance of knocking him down was to have Rita spam champagne but it just wasn't happening.

Blackjack

Y2Kev said:
Fuark, I could not get the achievement for the boss fight at the
Earthquake City.
My only chance of knocking him down was to have Rita spam champagne but it just wasn't happening.
Yeah, I had to do that one a couple times. Yuri's Dragon Storm (? -- the one where he keeps spinning) apparently works too. I eventually got it thanks to a lucky Champagne myself.

Y2Kev

Blackjack said:
Yeah, I had to do that one a couple times. Yuri's Dragon Storm (? -- the one where he keeps spinning) apparently works too. I eventually got it thanks to a lucky Champagne myself.
Is there a way for me to directly control her while still being Yuri? I wanted her to cast champagne so I shut every other arte off but that still didn't work too well.

Blackjack

Y2Kev said:
Is there a way for me to directly control her while still being Yuri? I wanted her to cast champagne so I shut every other arte off but that still didn't work too well.
Open up Yuri's Artes menu and scroll down. You can assign shortcuts to your team that you can use with the Right Stick. If you just keep telling her to use Champagne she won't be able to do anything else.

Other than that, you can eventually synth an item called Moon Selector which will let you change who you control in the middle of battle.

Y2Kev

Blackjack said:
Open up Yuri's Artes menu and scroll down. You can assign shortcuts to your team that you can use with the Right Stick. If you just keep telling her to use Champagne she won't be able to do anything else.

Other than that, you can eventually synth an item called Moon Selector which will let you change who you control in the middle of battle.
oh that's what that was

I thought those were Yuri's like second art selectors...I was smashing the right stick with no results and I was getting pissed off :lol

vesperia :bow

2DMention

Banned
I'm finding if you have trouble with a boss, the best thing to do is just set it on easy.

You don't get grade when you do this though, do you?

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
2DMention said:
I'm finding if you have trouble with a boss, the best thing to do is just set it on easy.

You don't get grade when you do this though, do you?

Yup, no grade on easy. Bosses give the most too, so I'd say just keep at it or switch up your party/strategy before resorting to that.

2DMention

Banned
Papercuts said:
Nope, no grade on easy. Bosses give the most too, so I'd say just keep at it or switch up your party/strategy before resorting to that.

It's almost so easy it's no fun fighting bosses on easy too.

It would also help if I knew how to cook/assign strategys to NPCs party members too.

Firestorm

Y2Kev said:
oh that's what that was

I thought those were Yuri's like second art selectors...I was smashing the right stick with no results and I was getting pissed off :lol

vesperia :bow
I think I got close and used overlimit and used wolf strike I'd whatever it's called.

I just got the moon selector which is an awesome idea!

JSnake

So the final boss'
third form
is practically impossible on normal levels even on normal mode. The guy's level 82 and does about 800 damage with each sword swing. Dude ain't slow either. I'm level 65. Time to grind, I guess. Man I thought I'd beat this game within the 70 hour mark.

Papercuts

I think I...skipped something?

Last 1/3 spoilers:
I turned Phaeroh into a spirit and have to look for Gusios now, but I have no idea where that would be, and the synopsis gives no direction. I went to some area and it showed cutscenes and such so I thought it was on the right track, at the bottom I found a pond and fought Khroma Dragon. No matter how hard I fought I couldn't get it below 100000, and I kept accidentally triggering the Secret Mission...which is 20. I never got 19, or even fought that yet.

Tamanon

Banned
Papercuts said:

Last 1/3 spoilers:
I turned Phaeroh into a spirit and have to look for Gusios now, but I have no idea where that would be, and the synopsis gives no direction. I went to some area and it showed cutscenes and such so I thought it was on the right track, at the bottom I found a pond and fought Khroma Dragon. No matter how hard I fought I couldn't get it below 100000, and I kept accidentally triggering the Secret Mission...which is 20. I never got 19, or even fought that yet.

You have to go to
A crystal-covered landmass in the northeast part of the map. There's a dungeon with Gusios and SM19 there

Darkman M

Papercuts said:

Last 1/3 spoilers:

You really didn't skip anything you have meet
guios eventually. You just did it in the wrong order cause Khoma is the hardest spirit.

Just go to Northern Tolbyccia on the map to find where gusios resides.

I went into the final dungeon to get two of the final arms, and boy is that dungeon huge! Now time to finish the Fell arms, grind and do a few more side quest before i finish my first play through.

Firestorm

Oh shit. I just beat
Outbreaker in the Sands of Kogorh
. Can I still go back and rest at the inn for the special item that's required for Secret Mission 16 or whatever -_-; Ack. Still got a save file before I fought the boss so I guess I can go all the way back to town...

Papercuts

Firestorm said:
Oh shit. I just beat
. Can I still go back and rest at the inn for the special item that's required for Secret Mission 16 or whatever -_-; Ack. Still got a save file before I fought the boss so I guess I can go all the way back to town...

You still have plenty of time to to rest at the inn.

Darkman M

Firestorm said:
Oh shit. I just beat

I think your good dude just go back i dont think you need to start over.

Firestorm

Oh good. That boss took me forever due to the secret mission. Finally did it by
Switching to Rita at the beginning and getting lucky with Tractor Beam. One hit did it. I hope there's not a monster book entry for him with both weaknesses -_- Overlimit Spread is amazing.

Beezy

Karol: Victory pose! *Karol and Judith pose, Rita's back is turned*
Judith: Hey, you too!
Rita: Oh hell no!

:lol

Top Bottom