• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Tales of Vesperia |OT|

Althane

I assume that's a end-game trick?

Top: You'll have to Synth the overlimit upgrades in the stores.

Final question of the day: How do you know what Rita's skill progression is/how close she is to another skill? Just stumbling across it? (I JUST recently got her next level of Fire spell, that flame lance thing... I prefer fireball over it since the damage is about equal)

Beezy

So I just realized earlier today why battles have been so difficult for me lately. Judith, Repede, and Rita all either had that fucking 1/2 or 1/4 damage skill on.
No wonder it took me 5 fuckin tries just to beat Nan

Sushen

There are so much that I can customize that I didn't know after 20 hours into the game, I'm constantly amazed by the depth of the battle engine. I'm discovering the awesomeness of Judith...:D

Tamanon

Banned
Beezy said:
So I just realized earlier today why battles have been so difficult for me lately. Judith, Repede, and Rita all either had that fucking 1/2 or 1/4 damage skill on.
No wonder it took me 5 fuckin tries just to beat Nan

It's just as bad when you don't notice that Raven has that silly "halve all stats" skill on, including HP.

navi001

Neo Member
does anyone know how to do Secret Mission 13?

Secret Mission: Schwann (VS. Schwann. Downed him by attacking when he was clutching his heart after his mystic arte.)

no matter how many times I drop him with Raging blast after his mystic arte, I never get Great!; ;

Beezy

navi001 said:
does anyone know how to do Secret Mission 13?

Secret Mission: Schwann (VS. Schwann. Downed him by attacking when he was clutching his heart after his mystic arte.)

no matter how many times I drop him with Raging blast after his mystic arte, I never get Great!; ;
Just hit him with a regular attack while he's holding his chest. I just slashed him once and it worked.

Jonnyram

I hate the multiple part sub-events that keep going on, even if you missed one of the time specific events. The one I'm most pissed off about is Judy's spear. I think I did all but one of the things you need to do, and I got right to the end of the quest line, but the event for the spear doesn't trigger :( Really frustrating.

Apart from them, things seem to have gone quite well on my first playthrough. I'm just finishing up stuff on Nam Cobanda Isle now, then I'll finish off the last dungeon. Will probably be over 150hrs by the time I'm done :O

I know you can keep playing once you've beaten the game, but when you start a new game+ do you start with your grade after you beat the boss, or can you keep increasing your grade after that? I'm just wondering whether to do the optional dungeon on this play through or the next one (the 2nd time may be better purely from the exp point of view, though...)

Oh yeah, the 100 man coliseum challenges. They were fun! In particular, I had a bit of a struggle with a couple of the characters! Looking forward to the 200 man runs.

Spruchy

Fady K said:
Sweet! How was the story overall? (And how would you compare it, say, any other RPG stories you've went through in the past few years?)

Story was decent, unfortunately part 3 can't really hang with parts 1 and 2. If it managed to keep it as excellent throughout I would've said that Vesperia contains one of the best stories ever......but its still good.

Looking at the Dawn of the New World trailer, makes me think how much more "next-gen" it looks, when compared to Vesperia.

Now, I don't mean that as a knock on Vesperia, but the amount of really convincing motion capture in DoTNW, it such a step-up from the Tales Norm, that it stands out much more to me than really, really good cell shading.

Fëanor

So I chose Estelle to seduce a guard, but how do I go about doing that? I'm at the city where people seem to be disappearing.

LordK

Fëanor said:
So I chose Estelle to seduce a guard, but how do I go about doing that? I'm at the city where people seem to be disappearing.

Go to the shop and talk to the person that sells you stuff.

2DMention

Banned
I'd have to say this is becoming one of my all-time favorite RPGs of modern systems. I haven't had a favorite RPG since Star Ocean II.

The battle system in this game is awesome and deep.

As simple or as complicated as you want it to be.

Does anybody else get the feeling that some of the mechanics of this game (item synth farming, battle system) seem to take some ques from MMOs?

I can tell you if there were an MMO that used a battle system similar to this, it would get me playing MMOs again.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Is my game bugged? My records menu says I've synthesized 20 times but I haven't got the achievement for lots of synthesis. What's the number of times you need?

Darkman M

The-Switcher said:
Looking at the Dawn of the New World trailer, makes me think how much more "next-gen" it looks, when compared to Vesperia.

Now, I don't mean that as a knock on Vesperia, but the amount of really convincing motion capture in DoTNW, it such a step-up from the Tales Norm, that it stands out much more to me than really, really good cell shading.

I just watched a gameplay video and nothing about that game looks "next gen" to me unless im seriously missing something.

Jonnyram

Y2Kev said:
Is my game bugged? My records menu says I've synthesized 20 times but I haven't got the achievement for lots of synthesis. What's the number of times you need?
There is a bug in the game where the achievement doesn't unlock if you synth more than one thing at once.

kiryogi

Banned
The-Switcher said:

Yeah. The mo-cap looks extremely nice in KoR. I mean there's lots of nice little details in Vesperia, but the animation itself is last gen and looks so off sometimes especially with such nice visuals.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Y2Kev said:

I have over 100 synthesis items and have yet to get the achievement too. I've read that it glitches when you choose to synth more than 1 item at a time(like make 2+ apple gels at once). Apparently we'll have to potentially do 20 single items in a row on new game+ or something to get it.

Lame.

Tamanon

Banned
Y2Kev said:

Also it has to be 20 different items. Hopefully you didn't glitch it though by doing multiples.

Firestorm

The part that annoys me in the visual department is Yuri's facial expressions. In Abyss the facial expressions were fairly good. Here, Yuri's wearing that same weird ass smile every scene even when it doesn't fit. It's either weird smile or serious.

kiryogi

Banned
My Arms Your Hearse said:
So... anyone with DETAILED instructions for getting the Kingdom Celeb title for Yuri?

I've done everything a myriad of guides has told me to do to NO avail. The person that is supposed to be sitting on the bench to give me the title and skill is not there, and doesn't really appear like they ever will be.

It's maddening.

What point of the game are you at? I recall almost freaking out that I missed it too. But you might not be able to access it until another point.

KingJ2002

this game is so fuccin addictive... i try my best to stop playing at times... and i end up playing for like 8 hours straight... things just keep unfolding and there isnt enough save points... i's like reading a good book with 300 page chapters.
I stopped at getting the 4th spirit.. i'm still wondering when i can get the 4 sorcerer ring upgrade... so many things to burn ... so many treasure chests left behind.... oh and duke is a idiot... he believes that humans are arrogant for trying to bring change to the world by creating spirits to stop the adephagos... but at the same time... he wants to kill all the humans in the world so they can stop using aer or something... i mean... along those long walks by himself... did he not see anything wrong with that plan?

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
How many Giganto Monsters are there total? I've beaten three and know where to find another, but that's all I can see unless I skipped over a few(which I probably did).

Id.

Papercuts said:
How many Giganto Monsters are there total? I've beaten three and know where to find another, but that's all I can see unless I skipped over a few(which I probably did).
9. You won't have access to the other Gigantos until you've advanced further in the plot.

Google

So I picked this and Infinite Undiscovery up today.

Didn't touch IU yet, as Vesperia has total captured my imagination (for 90 minutes at least).

It looks very lush, and while I've always been a sucker for cel-shaded games, I havent found a fault with the presentation.

Sure, I've never really been a fan of the tales series, but fuck...if it looks this good, and if it continues to be a cold winter, then I'll be sorted.

Also, that dog totally has a pipe in his mouth.

I know that the soundtrack to Vesperia is nothing too spectacular (well, I like it decently), but I love that music in Egothor Forest. Damn little tune has been in my head for a while.

kiryogi

Banned
FateBreaker said:
I know that the soundtrack to Vesperia is nothing too spectacular (well, I like it decently), but I love that music in Egothor Forest. Damn little tune has been in my head for a while.

IMO it's one of the best Tales soundtracks not including Legendia (As that's just not fair period) Tons of variety, while still sticking to the main feel of Tales.

Xevren

Just beat the game, definitely the best game I have played this year.
The last boss can go to hell good lord! Seeing that mystic art every minute or so was just too much!

Firestorm

Oh hell. I am so screwed. I was too poor to afford many items and this boss
Nan and Tison
just kicked my ass within a minute or two. I have no Pineapple Gels or anything so once I run out of MP that's it. I think I'm out of HP healing gels too. I might have to resort to that free XBL gel pack :lol Nearest town is way too far away.

Hero

I'm on the last boss and I just spent 30 minutes only to die to him. I have the
Fell Arms
which apparently activate his
third form
and that's where I'm having trouble. Using his god damn Mystic Art every 30 seconds or so is blatantly overpowered.

Xevren

Hero said:
I'm on the last boss and I just spent 30 minutes only to die to him. I have the
Fell Arms
which apparently activate his
third form
and that's where I'm having trouble. Using his god damn Mystic Art every 30 seconds or so is blatantly overpowered.

That fight was just ridiculous. I used damn near every item I had and BARELY got through it.

Hero

Xevren said:
That fight was just ridiculous. I used damn near every item I had and BARELY got through it.

Tried it again and conserved all my items until the last form. Then I decided to cheese him out using Rita and OVL Tidal Wave spam.

Also, for the one achievement where you have to beat the game in under 15 hours, I started a new game plus but it's retaining my previous save file's game clock. Is that right?

Repede: " I havn't Sunk so low as to raise a paw against a defeated loser"

oh crap wait this would be the dog map I heard peoples talking about...... >.>

Blackjack

Firestorm said:
Oh hell. I am so screwed. I was too poor to afford many items and this boss
Nan and Tison
just kicked my ass within a minute or two. I have no Pineapple Gels or anything so once I run out of MP that's it. I think I'm out of HP healing gels too. I might have to resort to that free XBL gel pack :lol Nearest town is way too far away.
The nearest town should be Yormgen, right next to where you are.

Also, Yuri just lost a whole bunch of points for me, by turning into a huge hypocrite.

Yuri: If a part's infected, then you remove that part.

~*TWO AREAS LATER*~

Phaeroh: If a part has an infection, it must be removed.
Yuri: I don't buy that for a second.

Top Bottom