• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Tales of Vesperia |OT|

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
TSA said:
Exactly. It's only a "spoiler" to people who know about it already. Game has been out awhile now, so it's fair game. Before a game's release, I hate spoiler stuff in official content and I'm all for burning the moron who ruined it. However, once the game is out, I don't care - either be busy playing it since you're a hardcore fan, or the spoiler isn't going to ruin it that much for you. Let's go back earlier into this thread when people bitched about the animated gif claiming it was a spoiler, when it was in the INTRO VIDEO. I remember when it was IGN or GameSpot's review that said Ganon was back in TP, and Zelda fans bitched. Seriously...some things...are not spoilers.
Some people are still playing the game, like crowphoenix and I, but still read or watch reviews. The game didn't come out that long ago, absolutely no official media website should be showing the final boss without spoiler warnings at this point.

jj984jj said:
Some people are still playing the game, like crowphoenix and I, but still read or watch reviews. The game didn't come out that long ago, absolutely no official media website should be showing the final boss without spoiler warnings at this point.

How did you know it was the FINAL boss until somebody told you? I can see you could realize who it was in the fight (rather obvious from the footage shown), but seriously, the ONLY way you know it is the final boss is if you ALREADY KNEW/PLAYED that part. Otherwise, it could have been another battle earlier on. Like in Tales of the Abyss when Asch and Luke fight...early in the game - I saw footage of that before I played TotA, and I didn't assume it was the final battle (though I thought it was later in the game than it was).

I'd be pretty pissed if I knew who the final boss was.

It probably would be a non-issue until you piece it together, at which point you have information the game didn't intend you to have, so you accidentally figure it out too early.

TSA said:
How did you know it was the FINAL boss until somebody told you? I can see you could realize who it was in the fight (rather obvious from the footage shown), but seriously, the ONLY way you know it is the final boss is if you ALREADY KNEW/PLAYED that part. Otherwise, it could have been another battle earlier on. Like in Tales of the Abyss when Asch and Luke fight...early in the game - I saw footage of that before I played TotA, and I didn't assume it was the final battle (though I thought it was later in the game than it was).

I was still far enough in the game to know the fight was a big deal. The character in question wasn't even known as a villain yet.

inner-G

Banned
jj984jj said:
Some people are still playing the game, like crowphoenix and I, but still read or watch reviews.
If you don't wanna be spoiled:

A.) Don't watch gameplay videos

and

B.) Don't watch VIDEO REVIEWS.

crowphoenix said:
I was still far enough in the game to know the fight was a big deal. The character in question wasn't even known as a villain yet.

That's fair to assume it is significant, yeah. Honestly, in the end other footage would have sufficed for the Fatal Strike description, but I mean, if anyone gets "spoiled" truly from this review about the final boss, it's because other people shouted out what the spoiler was. It's the equivalent, in my book, of seeing a movie trailer and somebody screaming "That's the FINAL BATTLE" during a part.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
inner-G said:
If you don't wanna be spoiled:

A.) Don't watch gameplay videos

and

B.) Don't watch VIDEO REVIEWS.
I didn't watch it like I said, just listened (because I'm well aware that GT does this), but that's not the point. They shouldn't be spoiling the game like that, the game hasn't been out that long and people playing it could recognize something or someone that would spoil a surprise for them.

inner-G

Banned
jj984jj said:
I didn't watch it like I said, just listened (because I'm well aware that GT does this), but that's not the point. They shouldn't be spoiling the game like that, the game hasn't been out that long and people playing it could recognize something or someone that would spoil a surprise for them.
I still think it's ok.

I don't even buy most games I watch reviews of.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Jonnyram said:
You pay 300k, then 600k, then there is an event where you all get new costumes - pretty awesome costume for Judy :lol

I'm not sure what they're called in English, but there's a few caves that look the same. They are blocked before a certain part of the game, but now you've done that bit, they should be open. Two of these upgrade your ring. Level 4 ring is needed for most of the dungeons before and level 5 is needed for one part in the last dungeon.

I'll probably wait until the after game to blow 900K on that. :lol

I know what cave things you mean, I'll check them out. I just went to Nam Cobonda Island now, this place is awesome. I also don't have nearly as much Grade as I thought.

Jonnyram

If you play the poker game, you can make a load of chips, then use them in the 100 chip machine to get a load of the star stones and gald. Often you'll get 30000 gald drops, and if you have a pad with autofire, you can get about 2 million in an hour.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
jj984jj said:
You know I always listen to GT reviews because they always spoil the game for you, I heard the final boss is in that video review so watch it at your own risk.

you actually spoiled it for people who already watched the video and didnt know what the purpose of said battle was. way to go homes.

Darkman M

Papercuts said:
I'll probably wait until the after game to blow 900K on that. :lol

I know what cave things you mean, I'll check them out. I just went to Nam Cobonda Island now, this place is awesome. I also don't have nearly as much Grade as I thought.

1. Play Poker
2. Easily win hundreds of thousands even millions of chips in minutes.
3. Buy holy avengers+ 1 with your chips.
4. Sell them for 21k gald each which will net you about 315,000 each trip.

I have millions of chips and i had no idea how to play poker, all it took was like 20 mins and i was good.

Once you have many chips at your disposal start chunking them in the 100 chip or 500 chip toy dispensers and win 30000 & 150,000 Gald in seconds, they also give out rare items like statues,synthesis gems and stat upgrade items!

I have well over 3 million chips so im just throwing them in dispensers now getting all types of items and gald!

Darkman M

Good review by gametrailers it seems they at least attempt to play through the game before reviewing it. I love their video reviews and i really don't see how it spoiled anything to be honest with ya.

So the first and second forms were simple, but
Duke's third form is kicking my ass up and down the street. I suppose I should have probably made a save before getting all 7 Fell Arms just to see the ending and then embark upon trying to beat Nebil...err Duke. Oh well, here's to no sleep until I finish this...

Darkman M

Freyjadour said:
So the first and second forms were simple, but
Duke's third form is kicking my ass up and down the street. I suppose I should have probably made a save before getting all 7 Fell Arms just to see the ending and then embark upon trying to beat Nebil...err Duke. Oh well, here's to no sleep until I finish this...

Whats your levle? Is he really that hard cause i collected all fell arms too so im wondering what level i might need to be :lol

Paznos

Completed the game a few hours ago in just under 64 hours hehe 63:59. Completed all the secret missions man some of those were annoying. Overall I really enjoyed the game mainly because of the characters. Probably won't start a new game for a while though.

Firestorm

This end-battle quote is awesome:
Estelle: Our weapons are love!
Yuri: ...Justice!
Raven: ...Sexuality~
Rita: Will you stop?

Tamanon

Banned
Huh, did not expect that, doing the Dahrngrest subevents, the Karol one where
he's training after the Don's death, you have to keep sleeping at the inn
I kept at it, thinking I'd unlock an arte, but was pleasantly surprised when it was the Special skill instead. That makes him able to do Mystic Artes waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay before anybody else. Might have to start using him for boss fights.

kiryogi

Banned
Tamanon said:
Huh, did not expect that, doing the Dahrngrest subevents, the Karol one where
he's training after the Don's death, you have to keep sleeping at the inn
I kept at it, thinking I'd unlock an arte, but was pleasantly surprised when it was the Special skill instead. That makes him able to do Mystic Artes waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay before anybody else. Might have to start using him for boss fights.

Actually, he can only do it after Yuri gets his I believe.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
What was the score for the GT review, so I don't have to watch it and be spoiled?

KingJ2002

ShockingAlberto said:
I'm about 65 and I barely made it past
the second form.

same... i decided to back off and do some sidequests... get to about level 70+ or 80 then go back and finish it up.

Darkman M

Well holy shit at
dukes third form, i easily disposed of his first and second but his third form was another level!
I beat him on my second try but man that was crazy none of the giganto or any other boss game me any problems during the game. I actually had to use an all-divide to beat him and i spammed the hell out of rita's meteor storm to finally drop him! I'm gonna be sure to push these fell arms to the limit :lol

For reference my party was lv 71 on Normal difficulty beating that guy on Hard you would probably need to be well over the 100's.

Gonna watch the ending now and start my second play through!

masterkajo

I don't know if it has been asked or answered before but is the US version region free? I don't want to wait forever here in Europe to play it.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
ZealousD said:
What was the score for the GT review, so I don't have to watch it and be spoiled?

Though I wouldn't worry at all about spoilers in that review, as usual GAF is taking things WAY out of proportion. Everything seemed fair game to me, and I'd bet none of you fools that fear spoilers couldn't guess anything based on the quick edits and cuts presented in that video review.

eznark

Banned
I had the day off yesterday and finally got a chance to really dig into Vesperia. This is a really, really good game. Even the story is interesting and the voice work isn't as terrible as I expected (based on Symphonia). I'm at the end of Act 1 and am a big fan of this game.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
The voice acting for the most part is phenomenal, particularly how genuine the acting and direction is in the post-battle win quotes. Only Respede and Raven come off as a bit forced(a human mimicking dog barks is silly, and Raven is just ridiculous as the 'dirty old man' role...despite being younger than me!)

Watched a few previews of Symphonia 2 also, and the acting sounds like a steep nosedive comparatively.

Game is fantastic though and I spent several hours last night just grinding mobs for synth items, gald, and grade via fatal strikes and chain combos because they are so damn fun to pull off. At first I scoffed at the idea of having 'minimum damage' equipped on any of my party, but with fatal strike chains and grade bonuses near the double digits for basic foes, they are a prime part of my repertiore.

SO FUN!

Jonnyram

Got 600 grade in about 15 minutes. Is that about the best speed you can do it in or are there further optimisations that can be made?

I was in the desert and got two of the floating rock type things and one of the bats. About 10 enemies in one fight so recharging to OVL3 everytime was a breeze. 640 hits / 67 FS chain was about the highest I could get.

Brandon F said:
The voice acting for the most part is phenomenal, particularly how genuine the acting and direction is in the post-battle win quotes. Only Respede and Raven come off as a bit forced(a human mimicking dog barks is silly, and Raven is just ridiculous as the 'dirty old man' role...despite being younger than me!)

Watched a few previews of Symphonia 2 also, and the acting sounds like a steep nosedive comparatively.

Game is fantastic though and I spent several hours last night just grinding mobs for synth items, gald, and grade via fatal strikes and chain combos because they are so damn fun to pull off. At first I scoffed at the idea of having 'minimum damage' equipped on any of my party, but with fatal strike chains and grade bonuses near the double digits for basic foes, they are a prime part of my repertiore.

SO FUN!

I figure that since exploration of the world is now easy and open to me, it's time for me pick up those skills so I can start farming items and gald better.

And, I actually, think Raven referring to himself as an old man is another one of his elaborate jokes. I always take it as a round-about way of mocking the rest of the cast for calling him an old man when they meet.

Althane

Wow, my party is around level 40 in the desert... am I overleveled badly?

(I've been grinding out skills just because otherwise my room mate gets paralyzed with indecision, such as "HOLY SHIT THERE'S LIKE FOUR ITEMS I CAN'T SYNTH YET! ZOMG!".... yeah.)

Oh, and I murdered that giant butterfly-moth-thingy in the desert. =P

Aeana

Jonnyram said:
Got 600 grade in about 15 minutes. Is that about the best speed you can do it in or are there further optimisations that can be made?

I was in the desert and got two of the floating rock type things and one of the bats. About 10 enemies in one fight so recharging to OVL3 everytime was a breeze. 640 hits / 67 FS chain was about the highest I could get.

You should be able to do it much faster than that. Did you set it to hard mode (1.5x grade) and equip as many dice as you have?

Junpei Heat

These anime cutscenes are really short. The latest one(
Estelle saying she want to live
) was at most 40 seconds. I want more animu :/

Blackjack

Junpei Heat said:
These anime cutscenes are really short. The latest one(
Estelle saying she want to live
) was at most 40 seconds. I want more animu :/
I just saw that one...
Am I the only one that thinks the plot would have been A LOT better if she had actually died?

AndresON777

shooting blanks
Raven is awesome, I love his comments at the end battle screen. Karol is much better now that I have him above 40, his first aid smash is pretty good and I dont have to sacrifice a fighter like with Estelle.

--How do I get the
mystic artes, nan kicked my ass at first using that crap. Is it just getting the 3rd over limit? I was looking in my skill settings and I saw it listed, but I dont have the stuff to synth the overlimit 3 thingy.

Darkman M said:
Well holy shit at
dukes third form, i easily disposed of his first and second but his third form was another level!
I beat him on my second try but man that was crazy none of the giganto or any other boss game me any problems during the game. I actually had to use an all-divide to beat him and i spammed the hell out of rita's meteor storm to finally drop him! I'm gonna be sure to push these fell arms to the limit :lol

For reference my party was lv 71 on Normal difficulty beating that guy on Hard you would probably need to be well over the 100's.

Gonna watch the ending now and start my second play through!

Exactly, I was 63 and had a lot of trouble. I think I would have rather seen a special boss for the Fell Arms rather than
Duke's third form
though...

Zzoram

So JRPG GAF, how do you rate all the JRPGs you've played? I've only played Lost Odyssey, and I liked it. I didn't love it, but I had fun while it lasted. It got a bit boring near the end, but that's because I was grinding skills and levels to get achievements :lol

I'm considering Tales of Vesperia as my 2nd Xbox 360 JRPG. Is this a better choice than Blue Dragon and Infinite Undiscovery?

Blackjack

eznark said:
it's pretty bad, but that could just as much be the flat script. Of course, maybe it gets better.
The only weak voice work, within the playable characters at least, is Judith. And she's not even bad.

eznark

Banned
Blackjack said:
The only weak voice work, within the playable characters at least, is Judith. And she's not even bad.

they are all pretty meh in my opinion. I like Karol though. I think Estelle is pretty bad.

Althane

Princess Skittles said:
There is no such thing.

True enough. But am I far above the average level of players in this stage of the game? ;)

WANT TO PLAY MORE!

BUT HAVE MORE COLLEGE WORK!

College makes me sad. *sigh*

Top Bottom