• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Tales of Vesperia |OT|

Firestorm

MAJOR spoilers. This boss is bullshit :(
I'm against "Schwann". Not only do I not have anyone who can heal, I'm a little low on life bottles and healing items and don't want to navigate the maze to get out. And not only that, that sonuvabitch has my Dice so I'm not even getting my 1.1x grade bonus :mad: Got destroyed when he used his Mystic Arte.

Firestorm said:
I'm against "Schwann". Not only do I not have anyone who can heal, I'm a little low on life bottles and healing items and don't want to navigate the maze to get out. And not only that, that sonuvabitch has my Dice so I'm not even getting my 1.1x grade bonus :mad: Got destroyed when he used his Mystic Arte.

Karol is an amazing healer, especially for upfront fighters. You should also be aware his base healing arte has two improved variations (though I can't recall offhand how to get them).

Spruchy

Firestorm said:

Um dont use dice until you start grade farming, any bonus you'll be getting now is incomparable to the larger amount you'll get.

Btw, how do you break the Core of the Outbreaker? I just took him out on Unknown using like every single skill combination in my arsenal and it never happened :lol

Does he have to do something specifically first? I would imagine so because I had him on total lockdown the entire fight and he barely got to attack.

Firestorm

My Arms Your Hearse said:
Btw, how do you break the Core of the Outbreaker? I just took him out on Unknown using like every single skill combination in my arsenal and it never happened :lol

Does he have to do something specifically first? I would imagine so because I had him on total lockdown the entire fight and he barely got to attack.
I just cast Tractor Beam with Rita and got lucky.

Tamanon

Banned
Firestorm said:

Karol. You pretty much have to have him for that part of the game.

NICE AID SMASH!

Case said:
Unfortunately it probably won't do any better than Abyss. Well at least don't expect Symphonia numbers...

Why?

It sounds like it's already doing better, but yeah, it'll probably never reach Symphonia level.

edit: ack, I could have put that into my last post. whoops.

Tamanon

Banned
Firestorm said:
I'll try that.
Don't care too much for my party seeing as two of my regular members are MIA >=(

Understandable there, also keep in mind if you really need to, you can always bump the difficulty to Easy for this one fight:p

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
FateBreaker said:
Why?

It sounds like it's already doing better, but yeah, it'll probably never reach Symphonia level.

We were only sent two copies.

I think this game was severely undershipped.

JaMarco

FateBreaker said:
Why?

Yea it could and should beat Abyss, but I dont think its ltd sales will end up blowing anyone's minds.

Firestorm

Tamanon said:
Understandable there, also keep in mind if you really need to, you can always bump the difficulty to Easy for this one fight:p
Nevar! Real men don't need easy.

I still have that Xbox Live Trial Pack I guess if I wanna hang up my part of my manhood. He's not killing my nearly as fast as the last boss fight did so I think I can pull this off without either.

kiryogi

Banned
It sounds like what you guys need is "Maitake" formation! :lol

inside joke
relating to Alexei
:

http://dic.nicovideo.jp/a/まいたけ聖剣

XD

Basically, that boss says Maitake @ the beginning of his hiougi XD Anyway, Maitake formation in this case means to set your AI to defend and stand still doing nothing. This is best when the boss is in hiougi and you're dealing with a massive ranged one. Toss your members into said formation, and lure him away from the others.

Jonnyram

The core appears randomly, there is a starting animation you can see if you need some cue about when to start the aerial attacks. I took control of Judith for that battle because she is the best at aerial stuff. You can't target the core, unfortunately, so you just have to stand in front of him and swing. The worst thing is, it actually takes quite a bit of hitting to destroy it. It will change colour gradually before it breaks (blue -> orange -> *smash*)

Firestorm

I need tips for Secret Mission 13 against
Schwann. I beat him a few times but can't seem to do it with the secret mission. His first overlimit usually ends without a Mystic Arte. His second usually gets one, but I can't find an opening. Yuri doesn't have the skill that lets him get out of overlimit quickly so I may have to use Judith. But either way, after I'm knocked down, I can't get up and hit him fast enough to knock him down...

kiryogi

Banned
Firestorm said:
I need tips for Secret Mission 13 against
Schwann. I beat him a few times but can't seem to do it with the secret mission. His first overlimit usually ends without a Mystic Arte. His second usually gets one, but I can't find an opening. Yuri doesn't have the skill that lets him get out of overlimit quickly so I may have to use Judith. But either way, after I'm knocked down, I can't get up and hit him fast enough to knock him down...

I hear using Judy's Moonbeam or Karole's Reaper Knock is good for the job.

Railer

Railer said:
So, is there any version out there at the moment that works on PAL machines?
I checked Play-Asia, but it doesnt seem like it. Having to wait until 2009 is just silly in my opinion, i want to play it like now.

Anyone? I want this game so badly :/

Jonnyram

Trying to get the FS titles for all the party. God what a farce.
I've got Yuri, Repede, Rita, Judith so far. Karol doesn't even have the 1 Damage skill (fucking Karolian Hammer+1 bullshit) so he's pretty tough. Also, no idea how to speed up Estelle's process. Anyway, I am gaining a fuckton of grade in the meantime. I'm up to 12000 so far. After that I'll do the cooking (yay! not), then finally hit the last part of the last dungeon.

kiryogi said:
Won't be able to do it until you can fly.

I can already fly

I stopped the main story after
getting back estelle and after zaude rose
to do sidequests and to get costumes and to maybe level up in the process

Jonnyram said:
Trying to get the FS titles for all the party. God what a farce.
I've got Yuri, Repede, Rita, Judith so far. Karol doesn't even have the 1 Damage skill (fucking Karolian Hammer+1 bullshit) so he's pretty tough. Also, no idea how to speed up Estelle's process. Anyway, I am gaining a fuckton of grade in the meantime. I'm up to 12000 so far. After that I'll do the cooking (yay! not), then finally hit the last part of the last dungeon.
Here's what I did

Have Yuri with Shining Sword or something (the arte where he twirls his blade) and then change his AI strategy. Never let him hit FSes, always target the same enemy as you. Then just set his twirling blade arte to the right stick and hammer it until the Blue FS symbol comes up for the enemy. You can just hit RT as Estelle when it's ready.

kiryogi

Banned
PseudoKirby said:
I can already fly

I stopped the main story after
getting back estelle and after zaude rose
to do sidequests and to get costumes and to maybe level up in the process

Oh god, I typed that wrong.

After Zaude. clearing the 2/3rd's point

I'm a little annoyed by what this game considers appropriate difficulty.

Bosses that force you to use your artes in a smart way? Appropriate.

Bosses that repeatedly use unblockable mystic artes? Not appropriate.

You stop that, Team Symphonia. Bad dog. Bad.

Blackjack

It needs to actually spit out the orb, which you then attack (you can't target it separately, though. Tiger Blade, or any other aerial arte from Yuri or Judith do nicely). If it's day time, have Rita use a water spell and it'll spit out the orb to change it to night. When it's night, have her use a fire spell to make it spit out the orb to change to day. Just keep doing that until you get the mission. It took me about four attacks to break it.

Blackjack said:
It needs to actually spit out the orb, which you then attack (you can't target it separately, though. Tiger Blade, or any other aerial arte from Yuri or Judith do nicely). If it's day time, have Rita use a water spell and it'll spit out the orb to change it to night. When it's night, have her use a fire spell to make it spit out the orb to change to day. Just keep doing that until you get the mission. It took me about four attacks to break it.

Hmm, thanks. Though the on my first playthrough I did attack him with fire/ice spells and I don't recall a "core" anywhere :lol

This time around I specifically attacked him with other elements because it was annoying having to constantly switch spells after every one went off.

Just a heads up to anyone still looking for it, Amazon has more of the special editions in stock as of right now. Everyone make sure to buy a copy so they sell out and I'm forced to save my money.

EDIT: Okay, so they ship on the 14th but that's still not bad considering everywhere else has jacked the price up.

mileS

Tried the demo last night and was pleasantly surprised. I was kind of turned off with the look of the game at first just looking at some screens (typical pink hair anime chick and all) but after playing it and seeing it in motion i'm pretty impressed. This game really does look fantastic in HD! From what I can tell from the demo the combat was fun and a big change of pace from what i'm used to. After reading some posts here about how it gets deeper and actually requires some strategy instead of just mashing on the same attack button i'm pretty much sold on the game.

I'll probably pick it up later this week.

Caj814

I ended up grinding a good amount throughout the game when I thought I wouldn't,now I'm at lvl 51+ with most characters
Even though I'm still missing Estelle right now -_-

Anyone have any decent combo suggestions outside of the use of Overlimits?I'm having a hard time trying to come up with some decent ones with all the artes to choose from.

Id.

Does the save point achievement include save points that are in the EX dungeon or no? I think I've already used the last save point in the game (
staircase before confronting Duke
). If not, I'll be mad that I missed one or some!

Door2Dawn

Banned
I'm thinking about picking this game up,but I'm afraid that if I get it,I won't like it.

The only tales game I have played was Tales of Symphonia,and I thought it was pretty good.

Can someone name some things that ToV does better than ToS?

I'm surprised at the game length, it took me 60 hours to beat... Even without grinding the game is very long. I was seriously impressed with TOV, most def a top 10 for me.

Top Bottom