• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Tales of Vesperia |OT|

Synless said:
I'm at the end of the game and I have to say that it is an injustice not to put this game out on the PS3 in english. This game is honestly one of the best RPG's I have played in years. The character development is second to none and seriously almost a selling point on it's own. Ridiculously amazing game.

Yeah, okay. More injustice: now having this PS3-only content available through Xbox Live a few months later. It would just give NamcoBandai more money....

Synless

FateBreaker said:
Yeah, okay. More injustice: now having this PS3-only content available through Xbox Live a few months later. It would just give NamcoBandai more money....
I'd buy it to be honest. It seems to me it's never coming out any other way for the PS3 (which I would double dip on) and the extra content seem worth it.

Anyone else still waiting for a PS3 announcement? I might wait till January before giving up. It really pisses me off how the Namco Bandai scum say they have no information about whether it's coming out or not. If those idiots don't know then who else is supposed to? If it isn't coming out they should just go ahead and say so already instead of trolling everyone like this.

squall211

Someone said before that every announcement of a localized Tales game has come between the months of Feb.-Apr. If that's true, I'd guess that if it isn't announced by the end of that time frame, it's never going to happen.

TheExodu5

Banned
Just started playing this again...never got very far, but I plan to go through it now.

Man, I still think this is the best looking HD RPG out there. It's the only game with the visual polish I expect from an HD RPG. Something about the visuals and interface just seem to say "tasteful" to me

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
lucablight said:
Anyone else still waiting for a PS3 announcement? I might wait till January before giving up. It really pisses me off how the Namco Bandai scum say they have no information about whether it's coming out or not. If those idiots don't know then who else is supposed to? If it isn't coming out they should just go ahead and say so already instead of trolling everyone like this.
Who the hell announces that a game isn't coming? That would just be stupid.
Ok, Atlus did but its totally not the same thing.

Anyway, its not looking too good since the voice actors apparently haven't been called back to do voice work yet.

grandjedi6 said:
Who the hell announces that a game isn't coming? That would just be stupid.
Ok, Atlus did but its totally not the same thing.

Anyway, its not looking too good since the voice actors apparently haven't been called back to do voice work yet.

It's pretty simple. The fanbase wants to know whether a certain game will be released and they can say no this game will not be released on the console you want and the issue can be put to bed.

Instead the Namco Bandai scum keep pleasing ignorance saying we have no information at this time leading to all this potentially pointless speculation and frustration by the fanbase.

Screw you Namco Bandai scum.

Nah, nothing yet.

Playing through the PS3 version now...thank god for that YouTube guide some dudes did a few weeks ago...they changed around some things and I would have totally been lost/wasted countless hours trial and erroring without knowing Japanese. The vids also gave me the word I had to enter in Japanese, since it's not "sun" nor any of the google translations of it. While there were a few glimpses of 60fps, I've noticed quite a few frame rate sputters in areas that weren't problems on 360.

grandjedi6

lucablight said:
It's pretty simple. The fanbase wants to know whether a certain game will be released and they can say no this game will not be released on the console you want and the issue can be put to bed.

Instead the Namco Bandai scum keep pleasing ignorance saying we have no information at this time leading to all this potentially pointless speculation and frustration by the fanbase.

Screw you Namco Bandai scum.
Oh yeah? What about when Namco admitted that they weren't going to publish Tales of Innocence? All that led to was complaining and frustration from the fanbase, and bad PR. So to expect Namco to admit to not publishing something is just silly because the fanbase will be upset no matter what. Might as well leave the option open just in case.

And I'm seriously tiring of this Namco scum meme/Scamco/whatever. Namco's gotten alot better in the last few years in both quality and quantity of localization. Or are we forgetting that the Scamco moniker exists in part because of their localization cutbacks, most of which don't occur anymore, hm? And localization wise I have a hard time blaiming them for too much. With how horrid Tales of's sales usually are, most publishers would have given up on the series by now. Yet Namco, to their credit, keeps trying and even gave us a world-wide-but-not-you-Europe simultaneous release for Vesperia (granted that experiment seems to have failed :'( ). Of all the Tales of games they've passed on, the only one I really feel I can blame them for these days is not even trying any of the DS games (of course by now oversaturation is a problem...)

And now, to counter my company defense I just presented, here's a image you can post repeatedly should you ignore my argument:

mm3aef.jpg

grandjedi6 said:
Oh yeah? What about when Namco admitted that they weren't going to publish Tales of Innocence? All that led to was complaining and frustration from the fanbase, and bad PR. So to expect Namco to admit to not publishing something is just silly because the fanbase will be upset no matter what. Might as well leave the option open just in case.

And I'm seriously tiring of this Namco scum meme/Scamco/whatever. Namco's gotten alot better in the last few years in both quality and quantity of localization. Or are we forgetting that the Scamco moniker exists in part because of their localization cutbacks, most of which don't occur anymore, hm? And localization wise I have a hard time blaiming them for too much. With how horrid Tales of's sales usually are, most publishers would have given up on the series by now. Yet Namco, to their credit, keeps trying and even gave us a world-wide-but-not-you-Europe simultaneous release for Vesperia (granted that experiment seems to have failed :'( ). Of all the Tales of games they've passed on, the only one I really feel I can blame them for these days is not even trying any of the DS games (of course by now oversaturation is a problem...)

And now, to counter my company defense I just presented, here's a image you can post repeatedly should you ignore my argument:

mm3aef.jpg

At the moment I'm looking to buy Tales of Vesperia and I don't own an Xbox 360. I don't know whether I should go ahead and buy one or keep waiting because there's going to be a PS3 release. Why am I in this situation? It's because of the Namco Bandai scum and their refusal to comment on anything.

You talk about bad PR. What do you think is worse? The scenario I described is much more rage inducing . You think they're getting a good reputation by not saying anything? I would much rather have the matter put to bed than keep waiting for a release that may never happen.

Also do you have a link to when they said they wouldn't be localising Tales of Innocence? I don't ever recall that happening.

grandjedi6

lucablight said:
At the moment I'm looking to buy Tales of Vesperia and I don't own an Xbox 360. I don't know whether I should go ahead and buy one or keep waiting because there's going to be a PS3 release. Why am I in this situation? It's because of the Namco Bandai scum and their refusal to comment on anything.

You talk about bad PR. What do you think is worse? The scenario I described is much more rage inducing . You think they're getting a good reputation by not saying anything? I would much rather have the matter put to bed than keep waiting for a release that may never happen.

Also do you have a link to when they said they wouldn't be localising Tales of Innocence? I don't ever recall that happening.
You don't seem to have much to lose in this scenario. Either you (A) wait until Spring, Namco announces the PS3 version and then you wait several more months for it to come out, or you (B) wait until Spring, Namco doesn't announce it, you give up and either buy the 360 version or nothing at all.

As for Innocence: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=275503

cress2000

I really have to wonder why Namco hasn't abandoned their Tales of Innocence trademark yet. It's had three extensions filed, with the last one being a couple months ago.

For what it's worth, the Rebirth mark got one extension, while Tempest got zero, before abandonment.

grandjedi6

cress2000 said:
I really have to wonder why Namco hasn't abandoned their Tales of Innocence trademark yet. It's had three extensions filed, with the last one being a couple months ago.

For what it's worth, the Rebirth mark got one extension, while Tempest got zero, before abandonment.
They're keeping their options open. They may not have the slightest thought of publishing it but as long as they can they will extend its trademark. For a similar example, look at the 5 extensions Card Hero went through before Nintendo gave up: http://tarr.uspto.gov/servlet/tarr?regser=serial&entry=78526212

EDIT: Of course it seems Nintendo has refiled another Card Hero trademark so I suppose they haven't give up entirely the trademark entirely yet.

Stage On

cress2000 said:

Just becuse they had no plans for it in 2008 dosn't mean that they couldn't have a plan for 2010.... Thought I'm not exactly holding my breath for it at this point.

If I had to chose between Vesperia ps3 and Innocence I'd take Innocence in a heart beat since at least we can play a version of Vesperia in english even if it isn't the "complete" version. Of course in the best of worlds I'd happly take both if they'd just fricken give them to me already.

Meier

So I beat this while banned. Awesome, awesome game. A little disappointed that I can't continue to play within the same game after beating it though.. guess I need to improve my grade a bunch more through grinding so that I can have some better perks in the next play through. Suppose I'll just zoom through it on easy to try and get some extra achievements.

I apparently only got 18 achievements for 660 on my first play through. I'll probably try and do more of the secret missions and get the monster nerd at the very least (I must be close).

Aru

Just finished the game yesterday afternoon.

Great game. Best Tales game yet :D

Only big flaw for me: why the f*** can't we skip cut-scenes in a 2008/09 game ?? I love cut-scenes, but it annoys me to rewatch them when I lose against a boss. Gladly, I lost only a few times.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Meier said:
So I beat this while banned. Awesome, awesome game. A little disappointed that I can't continue to play within the same game after beating it though.. guess I need to improve my grade a bunch more through grinding so that I can have some better perks in the next play through. Suppose I'll just zoom through it on easy to try and get some extra achievements.

There is an easy way to get grade using the Rita tidal wave trick, I think it's in the OP.

Also, If you're a crazy bastard like me and intend to get 1000/1000, I suggest you follow the sidequest guide to the letter to save alot of needless pain.

Aru said:
Just finished the game yesterday afternoon.

Great game. Best Tales game yet :D

Only big flaw for me: why the f*** can't we skip cut-scenes in a 2008/09 game ?? I love cut-scenes, but it annoys me to rewatch them when I lose against a boss. Gladly, I lost only a few times.

Agreed :D.

On the cut-scene problem, holding A+X(?) will speed up conversations. Though I still agree with you, some of them are really long.

Firestorm

Meier said:

I apparently only got 18 achievements for 660 on my first play through. I'll probably try and do more of the secret missions and get the monster nerd at the very least (I must be close).
You can continue to keep playing in the same game. Just start up with your completed save. It'll put you right before the final boss.

grandjedi6 said:
You don't seem to have much to lose in this scenario. Either you (A) wait until Spring, Namco announces the PS3 version and then you wait several more months for it to come out, or you (B) wait until Spring, Namco doesn't announce it, you give up and either buy the 360 version or nothing at all.

As for Innocence: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=275503

I am losing something. I'm sitting around waiting for something that may never come and that is making me rage.

As I said before I think the Tales of innocence situation is preferable to what they are doing right now.

Wray

Looking forward to playing this one Gaf when/if it gets a PS3 English Port. How does it compare to Symphonia and Abyss? I personally felt that Symphonia was a bit too longwinded and Abyss was way way too long and stretched out. Will I feel the same about this one, or is the narrative much tighter?

Mr YuYu

Wray said:
Looking forward to playing this one Gaf when/if it gets a PS3 English Port. How does it compare to Symphonia and Abyss? I personally felt that Symphonia was a bit too longwinded and Abyss was way way too long and stretched out. Will I feel the same about this one, or is the narrative much tighter?

Having just finished vesperia i can say that i feel this game is a little too longwinded.
Near the end i just wanted to get it over with. (then again i have that with a lot of rpg's)

personally i'd pick symphonia above vesperia. (haven't played abyss)

grandjedi6

lucablight said:
I am losing something. I'm sitting around waiting for something that may never come and that is making me rage.

As I said before I think the Tales of innocence situation is preferable to what they are doing right now.
I'm not sure what else to say. It sucks for you but nothing is going to change about that until next year either way.
Wray said:
Vesperia is far far better than Symphonia and Abyss. Team Symphonia definitely learned from their prior mistakes and actually made a game that can legitimately claim to be an AAA title without snickering from the peanut gallery. Its still a long game but it doesn't have Symphonia's or Abyss's filler quests so its alot more bareble. It also helps though that Vesperia's characters are better and the story is more realized too.

In other news, Amazon is having a lightning deal for Vesperia at 6PM PST. You know, just in case there is anyone else sitting in this thread going "Gee, I really should buy Vesperia..."

cress2000

Umm...if you have any interest at all in this game and don't have it yet, you kinda might want to buy it right now. Ever since Amazon liquidated its stock during the Black Friday weekend, the Amazon marketplace prices have been ballooning like crazy (cheapest copy right now is about $45 used).

There are still some sealed copies for around $20 plus shipping on eBay, but I don't expect them to last very long.

Chris R

Played for a bit (just got out of the castle). Don't like the the combat so far and the story is lame so far. Here is hoping more play makes things better.

Really starting to enjoy this game more. Just arrived at the colosseum city. But one thing has been bugging me that I was wondering if someone could help me with. It's regarding the 3 arrows (Red, Blue, Green) you see when examining an enemy. I know they have something to do with how to activate the Fatal Strike attacks, but I don't know what the little meters next to them mean. Some are higher and lower and I don't know why. Any help would be appreciated, and I read the in-game guide and couldn't figure it out.

Rpgmonkey

rhfb said:
Played for a bit (just got out of the castle). Don't like the the combat so far and the story is lame so far. Here is hoping more play makes things better.

IMO, gameplay gets better as you go on until the very end, story reaches a peak and begins to fall from there.

GrumpyAlien said:
Really starting to enjoy this game more. Just arrived at the colosseum city. But one thing has been bugging me that I was wondering if someone could help me with. It's regarding the 3 arrows (Red, Blue, Green) you see when examining an enemy. I know they have something to do with how to activate the Fatal Strike attacks, but I don't know what the little meters next to them mean. Some are higher and lower and I don't know why. Any help would be appreciated, and I read the in-game guide and couldn't figure it out.

All of your attacks affect a certain direction: Up (Blue), Down (Red), or Forward (Green), as denoted by the arrows in information about your artes. Each direction has a gauge for enemies.

By using attacks that apply to these directions, you decrease the gauge (an arte that affects Up will decrease the up gauge). Once the gauge is empty, you can use a Fatal Strike.

It's easier to get Fatal Strikes if you set up your controlled character with artes that apply to a similar direction. For example, I have a lot of artes that affect Up when in my setup for Yuri, so I tend to get a lot of FSs for that direction.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
They correspond to thetype of attacks you deal out. Look at your artes. Each one has a blue red or green arrow. When you do an upward attack it does "blue" damage. When you deplete the enemy's meter you'll get the chance to do a fatal strike. Enemies all have a specific type of damage they're more prone to. For example: one enemy might take red damage faster so you'll want to use downward attacks and artes that do red damage.

Check your Battle Book for more specific info.

Thanks for the help. Even after reading the battle book I wasn't sure how to exactly trigger them. This should make battles much more interesting now. :D

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
So far the game is great! I just
retrieved the aque blastia from Barbos
and got the achievement both for the quest and the mission. BTW, I thought it was hilarious that Karol actually mentioned the word 'Emo' in one of the skits. :lol

Some of you may be aware a while back a german site had a listing for a PS3 release of Tales of Vesperia. The listing can be found here: http://www.computeruniverse.net/products/e90335216.asp

I decided to email them and asked them if the listing was a mistake.

I received a reply saying

thanks for your Message. The Product is marked as “announced”, but it will be available around March 2010.

I emailed them back asking them where they were getting their information from as I'm sure you're all aware Namco Bandai haven't made any official announcement.

I received this reply.
This title is listed in the announcemnet lists of the suppliers and distributors. We usually don't have any reasons to doubt this information, even though changes may occurr at any time before a release.

What should be made of this?

KGKK

Banned
lucablight said:
Some of you may be aware a while back a german site had a listing for a PS3 release of Tales of Vesperia. The listing can be found here: http://www.computeruniverse.net/products/e90335216.asp

I emailed them back asking them where they were getting their information from as I'm sure you're all aware Namco Bandai haven't made any official announcement.

I received this reply.

If it's true then wow, another great RPG in the first quarter.

lucablight said:

I received this reply.

Fucking A if true. Kind of odd that they are being so blunt about it though. Don't retailers usually deny everything if something like this happens?

Darackutny

^ I've tried e-mailing them. I got one of those "delivery failed" messages. I'd appreciate you uploading the e-mails you received.

Hopefully I can get back to Vesperia this winter, I'd like to finish it...

Darackutny said:
^ I've tried e-mailing them. I got one of those "delivery failed" messages. I'd appreciate you uploading the e-mails you received.
Dun dun dunnnn!

Darackutny

^ Mmm... I sent it to the same e-mail. Sorry for doubting you earlier, but you were just an anonymous person before posting these screens.

I noticed something strange about the product. Apparently, most of what they have up there is said to have a Dutch version:

- Dragon Age
- Marvel: Ultimate Alliance
- Heavenly Sword
- Oblivion
- Vandal Hearts
- Sacred 2
- Valkyria Chronicles
- The Witcher
- Cross Edge
- FFXIII
- Folklore
- Fallout
- Borderlands
- Alpha Protocol

...and the list keeps on going on and on.

http://www.computeruniverse.net/groups/e39000893/rollenspiel.asp

----------------
An interesting find was this:

The Last Remnant
Sony PS3, Deutsche Version

Release date: approx. beginning of January 2011
----------------

Pretty funky, dontcha think?

So we are getting our hopes up for a release based on an email to a dutch computer shop?

I think its time we let it go.
Its not coming just like ToS for ps2 never came.

Top Bottom