• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Toy Soldiers (Xbox Live Arcade) Official Thread

Meier

Saw the bit of it during the Block Party trailer on XBL and was blown away. $15 is a lot of money though.. I'm going to hold off most likely.

Daigoro

this game seems really interesting, but the tower defense description is scaring me off. i dont like tower defense at all.

hopefully this will be different somehow from what my interpretation of TD is, because it looks cool.

Nelo Ice

Banned
trying to fight off enemy planes while holding off infantry is quite hard :lol

btw after playing a bit longer this game is less of a td game and more like a strategy game like the devs say
it has elements of a td for sure but at the very least theyre putting a very unique spin on the genre

u cant just build towers and let them go to work u gotta actually think about which tower to control and u have to aim properly(like knoing how to time howitzers/mortars) then later on u have to learn to control a plane and a tank then decide if ur going to take out the enemy armor/air or worry about the waves of infantry, horses etc

Daigoro

the FB game is kind of neat even though its simple, somewhat of a matchmaking concentration type game, but you can do combos and stuff.

you dont have to sign up for FB either, there is an option to just play the game without signing in.

Daigoro said:
the FB game is kind of neat even though its simple, somewhat of a matchmaking concentration type game, but you can do combos and stuff.

you dont have to sign up for FB either, there is an option to just play the game without signing in.

Will have to try it sometime, never played a game on Facebook, I know lot of people do though...

Back to the topic, wonder how long it will take for Toy Soldiers and Greed Corp to go for the weekly deals? That is when I will be pulling my trigger... I am not spending 1200 Microsoft points on an Arcade game, atleast not for now.

Gowans

Checked it out on my lunch, I like it
the big tanky boss is nails, got him tho.

Tried some multi n the dick disconnected gah!

Liberty4all

Banned
Surprised this thread is so small considering the amount of buzz awhile back.

Nothing like 1200 pts to kill GAF's enthusiasm. I guess it doesn't help going up against BF either.

I just played through the tutorial battle. Fun stuff indeed. So far it's very much a tower defense game. But it seems like you'll get to play the role of the attackers, right? I'll play some more tonight after work.

Not sure if it was mentioned, it probably was, but there are Avatar awards in this as I received one after starting up the tutorial battle. It's an "M 1917 Gas Mask" and it seems that there is one other award to unlock by completing the campaign.

Meier

2 Minutes Turkish said:
I still find it funny that people see 1200 points as expensive for these games.

I mean, so many of these games give you more game time than FULL RETAIL games and yet people pay close to full price for those.

They also give us most more play time than PAST generation titles which we ALSO paid top dollar for.

I really don't see how 1200 points is expensive for these games.
I can't re-sell it. Ever. I can buy MLB the Show 10 now and then up to release of 11 still sell it for $20 or so.

But honestly, it's all about perception in pricing of downloadable titles. I have been IMO burned a number of times on 15-20 games and I'm very, very choosey now. Some are completely worthwhile (Shadow Complex was my GOTY vote on GAF this past year) but for many, I end up regretting it. Heck, I rarely buy retail games (GameFly) because I think they're too expensive.

$10 versus $15 versus $20 is a huge difference in perceived value.

Drastic

ICYICYMCSHAKE said:
Has anyone got a download link for Toy Soldiers as I've looked everywhere? thx
First link in OP. Click "See All" button middle of page. Assuming you know this is a 360 game?

No other impressions yet?

xbhaskarx

Bamelin said:
Surprised this thread is so small considering the amount of buzz awhile back.

Nothing like 1200 pts to kill GAF's enthusiasm. I guess it doesn't help going up against BF either.

I know I downloaded it and then played two hours of Battlefield instead. Checking out the trial now...

krakov

Played the trial and is tempted to get this. Seems to play pretty much like a tower defense game where you can control your towers and some other stuff (biplane and sniper tower in demo). My one complaint is that the whole game looks kinda smeary (too much next gen) which makes enemies and other small items hard to spot in some circumstances.

Google

Meier said:
I can't re-sell it. Ever. I can buy MLB the Show 10 now and then up to release of 11 still sell it for $20 or so.

So you still lose $40.

With this game, you'll be out $15.

You make no sense.

Gowans

I'm gona be on in 30 ( no bc2 till Friday in the UK :( )

anyone want to have a proper test of the online hit me up.

Lothars

Google said:
So you still lose $40.

You make no sense.

Actually he does, you can't resell a XBLA game but you can a physical copy, so he gets a year of great game than is able to sell it and get the new version for cheaper.

Google

Lothars said:
Actually he does, you can't resell a XBLA game but you can a physical copy, so he gets a year of great game than is able to sell it and get the new version for cheaper.

I'm aware of the lack of resale.

What I'm struggling with is why spending $15 on a product you cant resell is worse than spending $60 on a product you can.

Yes, you'll get your next game for $40 - but that's still $25 more than the XBLA game.

Dabanton

Google said:

What I'm struggling with is why spending $15 on a product you cant resell is worse than spending $60 on a product you can.

Yes, you'll get your next game for $40 - but that's still $25 more than the XBLA game.

At the end of the day it comes down to one simple question.

Do you want to play the game or not?

Google

Dabanton said:
At the end of the day it comes down to one simple question.

Do you want to play the game or not?

Agreed.

So those posturing pointlessly about the fact they cant resell it are clutching at straws.

xbhaskarx

Google said:
So you still lose $40.

That doesn't even take into account the fact that you can no longer play the disc game because you've sold it, whereas you still have the ability to play Toy Soldiers.

Kron

Banned
I think you just have to turn a blind eye to the people who think 1200 points is expensive. Their fabled quest for value seems to be at the expense of any development of personal taste.

Pakkidis

Sadly in Canada 1200 is roughly 20$ here. I can get full retail used games for 19.99 so price is a pretty big point. Do xbla games ever go down in price?

Liberty4all

Banned
Google said:

With Gamestop power trades, trade in deals, etc you can get alot more than just 20 dollars resale on some titles. For example I was able to get MAG for free when trading in Army of Two during a power trade.

I regularly get at least 30 - 40 dollars per title that I flip.

And this is not even factoring in Goozex which is often "at par" when doing trades on hot titles.

Gowans

Having fun so far.

It really ramps up and switches the gameplay as you get further, from straight forward levels at first to where you're juggling a bunch of things, from controlling your guys to enemies coming from every angle.

I had to adjust the controls, which aiming was standard on the right stick and it seems like it's missed a trick with lack of co-op. So much stuff going on some times it would really help.

Feels so good tho just mowing down tens and tens of guys moving on you, DAMN those horses, Damn them!

Captain N

Gowans007 said:
Having fun so far.

It really ramps up and switches the gameplay as you get further, from straight forward levels at first to where you're juggling a bunch of things, from controlling your guys to enemies coming from every angle.

I had to adjust the controls, which aiming was standard on the right stick and it seems like it's missed a trick with lack of co-op. So much stuff going on some times it would really help.

Feels so good tho just mowing down tens and tens of guys moving on you, DAMN those horses, Damn them!

I found the gas to really work against the horses. Did you get into any tanks or planes yet? Once I figured out I can move from turret to turret with the dpad it made things a lot easier.

seady

Man I was expecting it to be a RTS game. Guess it's just another Tower Defense game with a 3D coat of paint.

I am sure it will be a fine game, just like most other Tower Defense game, as the formula is already quite polished already.

Nelo Ice

Banned
Captain N said:
I found the gas to really work against the horses. Did you get into any tanks or planes yet? Once I figured out I can move from turret to turret with the dpad it made things a lot easier.

o so thats what they meant when they mentioned using the dpad is faster :lol

Captain N

Nelo Ice said:
o so thats what they meant when they mentioned using the dpad is faster :lol

:lol when I first saw that I thought they meant for buying upgrades or selling and what not.

Pakkidis

Question, I only played the trial version but is their invert controls for the sniper tower? I could invert everything except the sniper tower. The game seems really fun but I have issues with the controls.

Gowans

Captain N said:

Oooohhhh... You can do that?!?!? great!

Just took down a massive Zeplin! :D

Top Bottom