• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UK votes to leave the European Union |OUT2| Mayday, Mayday, I've lost an ARM

Status
Not open for further replies.
To be fair Boris has always said it's up to the government to give answers as to what happens if we Brexit, he was pretty consistent on that by my view. He may have lied out of his stupid face about many things, but he never claimed he would have the answers or even that he should have them.
That's a pathetic stance to take imo. Campaigning for something without bothering to understand the risks (and rewards) is foolish at best.
'Not my job, it's the government's job to work it out', that's acting like a child.

Cameron is really lucky, this has all overshadowed how pissed we should be at him for starting this farce to begin with

Look at this way: In 30, 40 years time when kids are forced to study 'How the UK left the EU and everything went to shit', Cameron's name will come up a lot. If anything, he'll be the one history focuses on.

Which also means the poor future children have to endure history books with multiple pages of Cameron and Johnson's gurning faces.

BibiMaghoo

That's a pathetic stance to take imo. Campaigning for something without bothering to understand the risks (and rewards) is foolish at best.
'Not my job, it's the government's job to work it out', that's acting like a child.

Oh it is, but he has been consistent with that position from before we voted, and wasn't really held to account for it by the people that voted leave. Anyone that did so, can't really complain about his position now, only people that voted remain have that right, and it was their position already.

Dougald

Look at this way: In 30, 40 years time when kids are forced to study 'How the UK left the EU and everything went to shit', Cameron's name will come up a lot. If anything, he'll be the one history focuses on.

Which also means the poor future children have to endure history books with multiple pages of Cameron and Johnson's gurning faces.

Imagine seeing this staring at you from your textbook

rIODTTD.jpg

My poor grandchildren

liquidtmd

Banned
Oh it is, but he has been consistent with that position from before we voted, and wasn't really held to account for it by the people that voted leave. Anyone that did so, can't really complain about his position now, only people that voted remain have that right, and it was their position already.

You are technically right, but since this Referendum began it was heavily inferred and agreed in every single media piece that this was Boris' power play for PM. On the day of the result, every person had an expectation that Boris would move forward and seek to lead. To lead, you need to have a plan

He didn't have one.

Whilst the words didn't come out of his mouth 'I don't have a plan', so therefore it's everyone's fault for assuming I don't blame people for feeling he is a charlatan for running away from a mess he helped fester.

peely

Neo Member
To be fair Boris has always said it's up to the government to give answers as to what happens if we Brexit, he was pretty consistent on that by my view. He may have lied out of his stupid face about many things, but he never claimed he would have the answers or even that he should have them.

I sort of agree with his position. What happens next is down to a team of very smart constitutional lawyers. How the UK legally exits the EU should have been known and tied down so they can play their games trying to salvage as much of the party as possible - i.e. whether notice is served straight away, whether Parliament needs to ratify.

The Diana comparison is pretty tasteless and I generally don't agree with anything he has said/lied about.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
First round of voting ( with a day left):

Key numbers: 330 is the total Conservative MPS

Theresa May 117
Andrea Leadsom 37
Michael Gove 26
Stephen Crabb 21
Liam Fox 7

You forgot

Abstain 122

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Thats very interesting...

Well, some of those will turn into votes as there is still time, but it looks like there's a very large batch of Conservative MPs that are in absolutely no rush to see how things play out.

BibiMaghoo

You are technically right, but since this Referendum began it was heavily inferred and agreed in every single media piece that this was Boris' power play for PM. On the day of the result, every person had an expectation that Boris would move forward and seek to lead. To lead, you need to have a plan

He didn't have one.

Whilst the words didn't come out of his mouth 'I don't have a plan', so therefore it's everyone's fault for assuming I don't blame people for feeling he is a charlatan for running away from a mess he helped fester.

If we assume that things went his way apart from the leave vote winning, and Gove didn't stab him in the back, he would still not have been accountable at the very earliest until he was chosen as the new leader of the party, something that only starts tomorrow. He would have set out a plan like all the other candidates, and presumably had one ready to launch his campaign given his last minute departure the day he was due to launch it.

So assuming that, we would still be in the same position and he would still not be accountable beforehand or now, and his pre-vote answer would have been the same. He has fucked us all for his own political ends and I don't defend that, or him, just that on this he was clear it was not for him to deal with because it's not his government. Lots of people didn't listen, and we all have to pay for that now.

Well, some of those will turn into votes as there is still time, but it looks like there's a very large batch of Conservative MPs that are in absolutely no rush to see how things play out.

Not declaring for someone doesn't mean they wont vote, they all will. Also being a pack of liars many of them wont vote for who they do declare for.

Beefy

Wouldn't be surprised if some don't vote in the first vote.

Theonik

When I read such tosh, as much as I'm no fan of Cameron's, I'll continue to remind people of the horrors of Thatchers legacy.
Thatcher was pretty bad, and hell, Cameron was only a middling PM until the referendum, however the referendum was such a big bollocking that Cameron could give Thatcher a run for her money in terms of legacy.

It has been rather strange to read the predictions that the UK will seemingly end up in more-or-less the same situation as before it left the EU, in terms of issues like migration and regulations, except that it will now have a lot less influence within the EU, compared to before. Unless it wants to massively damage its economy. But on the bright side, the resulting chaos has made a lot of people more cautious about leaving the EU, at least where I live.

That said, I still hope that you manage to overturn this mess, but I am not optimistic.

Zaph

Just found out a Lithuanian friend of mine was jumped a couple days ago. Jaw broken with some type of metal tool (spanner he thinks).

A car pulled up right next to his parked car outside his home - and edged forward to within millimeters. He went outside and tapped on the window to find out what's going on, but the driver just got out, screamed at him (literally just screamed), and hit him in the jaw once before driving off. All of this while his wife watched from inside.

Could be completely unrelated, just some nutjob committing a random act of violence, but the doubt is now permanently there and has some people frightened and feeling like they can no longer make this country their home.

Didn't think I could get any angrier about this situation, but here we are.

kmag

So Standard Life had to suspend trading in one of their UK property funds due to the demand for fund holders to cash out. They'll have to sell some property to raise the cash to allow the withdrawals

everything is fine. I mean the last time that happened was in 2008 at the height of the Lehman Brothers crisis

Property valuations are normally a bellweather.

Tyaren

Just found out a Lithuanian friend of mine was jumped a couple days ago. Jaw broken with some type of metal tool (spanner he thinks).

A car pulled up right next to his parked car outside his home - and edged forward to within millimeters. He went outside and tapped on the window to find out what's going on, but the driver just got out, screamed at him (literally just screamed), and hit him in the jaw once before driving off. All of this while his wife watched from inside.

Could be completely unrelated, just some nutjob committing a random act of violence, but the doubt is now permanently there and has some people frightened and feeling like they can no longer make this country their home.

Didn't think I could get any angrier about this situation, but here we are.

My God...I hope he gets well soon. :(

To be perfectly honest, England was always my favorite holiday country, but I'm seriously considering avoiding England for some time now and rather go with France. You never know... I mean, they even harassed that elderly German lady that was on radio a few days ago. I would be worried someone might detect a German accent in my English.

Spaghetti

What is worse is that a large percentage of people who suffered most in all that voted Leave.
Why does this feel like a repeat of the 1980s most of the 90s?

There's a Spitting Image sketch where Tory candidates rock up to a working class home, insult the occupant, then leave with the occupant saying the Tories can count of their vote. It's like that, on a mass scale, and IN REAL FUCKING LIFE.

kmag

What is worse is that a large percentage of people who suffered most in all that voted Leave.

My sympathy is short supply this time around. Maybe it's true what they say about becoming more right wing and reactionary when you get older. I'm half ready not to blink an eyelid when the next government guts social protections.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member

Lego Boss

When I read such tosh, as much as I'm no fan of Cameron's, I'll continue to remind people of the horrors of Thatchers legacy.

Thatcher did a lot wrong, but she never made such a monumental clusterfuck in one fell swoop.

I think Thatcher is highlt divisive, but if this goes through, Cameron will be seen universally as the single worst post-war PM.

You can't gamble the future of a country on Brucie's play your cards right (Higher? Lower? In? Out) for God"s sake.

My God...I hope he gets well soon. :(

To be perfectly honest, England was always my favorite holiday country, but I'm seriously considering avoiding England for some time now and rather go with France. You never know... I mean, they even harassed that elderly German lady that was on radio a few days ago. I would be worried someone might detect a German accent in my English.

I'm English and I'm seriously considering avoiding England and Wales for holidays for some time. The numpties in Cornwall, Wales etc don't deserve to have any money spent on their local economy.

Pandy

My sympathy is short supply this time around. Maybe it's true what they say about becoming more right wing and reactionary when you get older. I'm half ready not to blink an eyelid when the next government guts social protections.
First thing that came to mind:
It annoys me that whoever made the GIF included 'to' which isn't in the film, but whatever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom