• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UK votes to leave the European Union |OUT2| Mayday, Mayday, I've lost an ARM

Status
Not open for further replies.

kmag

I'm not good with numbers, is it more profitable to exchange EUR to GBP now? Im having a trip to the UK in 2 months and thought i might get the money beforehand this time… so would now be a good time?

Yes, you get more pound for your euro.
I'd hang off to be honest, the pound is only going to go down over the course of the next two months, and while there's pressure on the euro, there's more pressure on the pound.

Niwa

If it keeps falling the closer you exchange to your trip the better the rate you're gonna get. If it rises you are better off exchanging as soon as possible.

Most likely scenario is it keeps falling for the next 2 months. But as with everything you can't know 100%

I'd wait to be honest. At this rate 1 pound may easily be worth 1 euro.

Yes, you get more pound for your euro.
I'd hang off to be honest, the pound is only going to go down over the course of the next two months, and while there's pressure on the euro, there's more pressure on the pound.

Well I guess I can't lose much by waiting. As it might not skyrocket back up anytime soon. Thank you guys :)

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Politicians regularly ignore the opinions of the ignorant masses. Rightly. If you put it to a referendum whether taxes should be abolished, yes would probably win. They also often ignore the opinion of the collective expert consensus. Case in point. This stupidity.

The bottom line is that if your leadership is corrupt, incompetent, or in any way unable serve the public interest, the wisdom/ignorance of the masses is irrelevant.

accel

Actually, I can agree with this. My feelings are, though, that it was a deeper issue and thus it's hard to narrowly lay the blame at Cameron's feet. He was in the position history put him in.

It's a much deeper issue, yes, the word "referendum" flows around since 2004 when Blair promised one on the European Convention. It came to "in or out" eventually.

kmag

So rapidly falling currency. Interest rates close to zero (and falling) and an economy which imports nearly everything. So how long before we need to use wheelbarrows instead of wallets?

Hyperinflation!

*Splinter

I see a lot of people complaining about the 'fear based' campaign - but I've never seen anyone come up with what an alternative would really look like. It's hard to fight a positive campaign for the status quo, if not straight up impossible. We all know what living in the EU is like, some people like it and some point don't. It's not like there weren't positive statements made about the EU and immigration throughout the campaign, but those statements simply don't play with a base that is distrusting, cynical, conservative, aged, and to some extent xenophobic and downright racist.

There are some arguments where it's hard to run a positive campaign. If the choice is between setting your house alight and not setting your house alight, you can be damned sure that the "Don't Set It On Fire" campaign will focus on all the bad things that will happen.
I agree with this, and think the accusations of "Project Fear" were greatly overstated anyway. A common conversation seemed to be:

R: "we are stronger in the EU"

L: "That's just project fear talking! Project Fear, Project Fear! The EU is doomed, it is a failed experiment, we have to leave before we are even more closely integrated!"

I can't even read that last sentence without picturing Leadsom grinning from ear to ear.

"Project Fear" was always just a cheap way to dismiss absolutely everything coming from the Remain campaign.

And it worked. Of course.

GamingKaiju

Anyone who is Short on GBPVsUSD be prepared to close out you positions as it is starting to find support @1.3. It may go down a little further but it will be brought back up again.

Hasney

Anyone who is Short on GBPVsUSD be prepared to close out you positions as it is starting to find support @1.3. It may go down a little further but it will be brought back up again.

New forecasts from Credit Suisse today have it around 1.22. Not today though as some of that is USD finding strength as well as GBP going down.

Lucreto

1 EUR = 0.853951 GBP

1173671.gif

TO AMAZON

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
Unfortunately as much as I like Ken Clarke, he'd be as electable as Corbyn

Actually I'd say he'd have the opposite problem. He's broadly appealing to the electorate - reasoned, relatable and centrist - but he isn't well liked by his party or the membership due to his European views.

Unfortunately he is too old.

Maledict

Unfortunately as much as I like Ken Clarke, he'd be as electable as Corbyn

The tory base screwed up so much by not choosing him in 97 and 2001. They could have done so much better in those years, but instead they kept running to the right with unelectable candidates like Hague & IDS.

Dougald

The tory base screwed up so much by not choosing him in 97 and 2001. They could have done so much better in those years, but instead they kept running to the right with unelectable candidates like Hague & IDS.

Oh for the days when the Tories were as incompetent as Labour is now

Maledict

Oh for the days when the Tories were as incompetent as Labour is now

When parties lose they tend to double down on the extreme wings of their party. eventually the membership realises that you have to actually win to do anything, and then they move back to the centre. It's a tried and tested truism of modern British politics.

Unfortunately for labour, they are still in the middle of their journey to the left, and it doesn't look like the membership have any plans soon to actually try and win an election.

Dougald

When parties lose they tend to double down on the extreme wings of their party. eventually the membership realises that you have to actually win to do anything, and then they move back to the centre. It's a tried and tested truism of modern British politics.

Unfortunately for labour, they are still in the middle of their journey to the left, and it doesn't look like the membership have any plans soon to actually try and win an election.

You're right. I have little respect for Blair any more but he said much the same thing, parties only win elections in the UK when they turn to the centre.

Though I guess they don't win if they go too much to the centre, or the Lib Dems would have more than 8 seats

Maledict

Yep, whatever happened to Dave Miliband. How history can turn on a dime.

You do wonder if the unions have enough self realization to understand HOW much they damaged themselves by supporting Ed like they did in 2010. In their lust to get a candidate they could control, they gave the conservatives a majority and then this stupid referendum. Even worse, Ed ended up running a mile from them because of the press he got as a result of the union backing...

You do wonder if the unions have enough self realization to understand HOW much they damaged themselves by supporting Ed like they did in 2010. In their lust to get a candidate they could control, they gave the conservatives a majority and then this stupid referendum. Even worse, Ed ended up running a mile from them because of the press he got as a result of the union backing...
Well, as much as I respect and agree with the man's politics, they're backing Corbyn. 'Nuff said really.

accel

On Andrea Leadsom:

"So long as she understands that she's not to deliver on some of the extremely stupid things she's been saying."

That would be those things:

[negotiations] "as short as possible", "and not everything needs to be negotiated before Article 50 is triggered and the exit process is concluded"

Par Score

Ken Clarke delivers an incredible review of all the candidates, while uh, not hugely realising he was being recorded. Basically slagging them all off.

https://twitter.com/skynews/status/750313372466360320

Ken Clarke is the best Conservative PM we never had. He's pretty much the only Tory I have any time for whatsoever.

Still a Tory of course, so this is damning with very faint prise.

Absence makes the heart grow fonder and all that, there's nothing to say DaveM wouldn't have been a disaster, after-all, he couldn't even beat EdM.

a5tWicl.jpg
z6xBpOT.jpg

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I see a lot of people complaining about the 'fear based' campaign - but I've never seen anyone come up with what an alternative would really look like. It's hard to fight a positive campaign for the status quo, if not straight up impossible. We all know what living in the EU is like, some people like it and some point don't. It's not like there weren't positive statements made about the EU and immigration throughout the campaign, but those statements simply don't play with a base that is distrusting, cynical, conservative, aged, and to some extent xenophobic and downright racist.

There are some arguments where it's hard to run a positive campaign. If the choice is between setting your house alight and not setting your house alight, you can be damned sure that the "Don't Set It On Fire" campaign will focus on all the bad things that will happen.

But we *don't* know what living in the EU is like. We read newspapers telling us that the EU is doing this, that migrants are doing that. Most of which is cherrypicked, quoted out of context or entirely made up. And all of which pushes an anti-european agenda.

Yes it is difficult to do a positive campaign these days, but the remain camp should have recognised the threat from this kind of bile from the newspapers - the kind of thing that would be built upon and amplified by Farage and Boris - and headed it off at the pass. It wouldn't have been an easy thing to do, but I think the BBC for example would have welcomed some honest discussion about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom