• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UK votes to leave the European Union |OUT2| Mayday, Mayday, I've lost an ARM

Status
Not open for further replies.
This thread needs to be grounded in reality again. So have some Yes (Prime) Minister

8APTGa4.gif

0wnV14H.gif

UxJwN14.gif

5ybuNRS.gif

QiLcmiD.gif

wHOV01K.gif

BEtJu8u.gif

Khoryos

More like we will turn into NI before the peace accord. Apart from it being the Unionist vs the Europhiles

You say that, but don't forget there was a lot of foreign influence heating up the troubles - you had the USA funding the IRA through NORAID, giving them money which then went to the Soviets (via Libya and Cuba) to buy explosives and arms. While Putin might still be willing to sell some bombs, I don't see people getting the funding to buy them.

Zaph

But the regulation isn't in effect as of yet...it'll be another year until it comes into effect.
And the proposal for this regulation was made in 2013...which was after Three had already included 7 European countries to their list of Feel at home.

More importantly, if feel at home was dependant on EU, then why does it works in non EU and countries in other continents ?

You cut off the part of my post that answers this post. When the EU announces it has its eye on a sector, miraculously that sector becomes more consumer-friendly. Similar thing happened to flight delay policies.

Chinner

Banned
What are you saying man? We're Britain! Of course we're strong! We made the Beatles, at one point we owned the world, and throughout history we have made our mark. Is there any other place where we can feel united in the glorious pessimism we call Britishness?

The best footballers come here. We just smashed those damn Aussies at the game we invented! Friends came here for a whole 2 or 3 episodes! Everyone knows our gleaming red buses!

Anyone who denies our strength is just a delusional lefty who clearly wants this country to burn to the ground.
it doesn't matter. This will be a difficult time as long as the media narrative is against us. We have to argue against 10 years of moral panics from the press that have convinced people that our country has gone to shit because of immigrants and border controls.

EmiPrime

it doesn't matter. This will be a difficult time as long as the media narrative is against us. We have to argue against 10 years of moral panics from the press that have convinced people that our country has gone to shit because of immigrants and border controls.

And nappies for cows.

Zaph

Rewind to 11:45 to have some faith in the older generation restored. Nice to be reminded from time to time there are intelligent, worldly and calm British people out there

But try to ignore the farmer who voted Leave to reduce EU regulatory interference, but couldn't name a single regulation he had issue with.

danowat

Banned
What are you saying man? We're Britain! Of course we're strong! We made the Beatles, at one point we owned the world, and throughout history we have made our mark. Is there any other place where we can feel united in the glorious pessimism we call Britishness?

The best footballers come here. We just smashed those damn Aussies at the game we invented! Friends came here for a whole 2 or 3 episodes! Everyone knows our gleaming red buses!

Anyone who denies our strength is just a delusional lefty who clearly wants this country to burn to the ground.

I'm going to assume that's satire?

We WERE strong, once, but now, no, our military has been decimated, we import way too much, amongst other things.

La Grande Nation and das Land der Dichter und Denker send their regards.

What would this mean realistically for little England? Tax rises are obvious, I guess spending cuts and pretty much everything privatised?

I get the feeling, at least in the interim, everyone would claim this deal was a victory. It's only ten years from now the damage would be apparent.

Personally I'm fine with that. I will not be here when the consequences of this madness fully rears its head.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
If the UK backpedals on leaving the EU, isn't this bad in terms of what voting means? For me it sounds like:

Here, decide what you want us to do (democracy).
Negative result: Ermmm, well... not that.

I suppose this is less bad compared to the consequences of leaving the EU, right?

More like:

"Please decide what you want us to do (NB: option 2 will destroy the country)"
Voters choose option 2: "Christ you lot are thick, we probably won't listen to you"

(I think you are being too harsh here.)

Countries that traded with UK when it was part of EU would want to continue that trade when UK is no longer part of EU.

Some countries who wanted to free trade with UK couldn't do this when it was part of EU (example: Canada, couldn't make the deal with EU for years, last culprit I remember was Romania who wanted a deal on visas). When UK is out of EU, these countries will get their free trade with UK.

Etc.
When the UK is eventually out of the EU, they may put some resources assuming they're not otherwise engaged into some sort of trade liberalisation agreement.

However, off the top of my head circa 40% of the UK's exports are to the EU to begin with. So it will still want and need free trade, particularly of services to the EU.

While, any expectation that the US or China or Canada is going to engage resources into a UK trade deal, when the UK hasn't even made clear it's even leaving the EU, is misplaced.

So, I think I'm being just harsh enough.

KampferZeon

Neo Member
EU to UK apparently: You get NOTHING
Well, not quite nothing, but:

@b_judah
Have been running around the City of London last few days. Here's an update.

Merkel and Brussels have outright already refused an EEA+ agreement that gives UK migration control, passporting and single market access.

What is passporting? All banks registered in UK have a "passport" that allows them to do business with whole EU. The City depends on it.

Base case is Berlin and Brussels plan to insist on an EEA- (i.e. a worse deal than Norway) that excludes passporting, migration controls.

This would however allow services to continue to have access to the singoe market. But not financial services. Mass migration continues.

This is formal offer. But Paris is planning a turn of cynical brilliance - that could at a stroke smite London and restore Paris to glory.

France cynicallly intends to offer Britain an EEA- that excludes passporting, but givs them a migration cap, and single market access.

This is a brilliant move: "you get less Poles, but we want your banks." It would be in France's interests to encourage UK out to get banks.

This would leave some stuff shirt like Crabb in a disastrous position: Paris and Berlin would have handed him a deal only "bad for bankers."

But the cynical French deal would be exactly the kind of cap migration, free movement for us and single market deal that the public want.

The next Tory muchkin leader would then be a hideous position: have his tax base slasshed at by loss of banks as his voters rejoice.

Paris and Frankfurt would emerge as enormous winners by ending passporting. Hugely boosting popularity of French and German leadership.

/British public will be left moronically clapping the huge triumph of a few less Poles and the punishment for "bankers" and tax base slashed.

//City analysts I met look with unbrindled distain on a Tory leadership class they think are simply muppets. No clue what's about to hit them.

This sounds a lot more like Boris Johnson's own proposal.
Sacrificing the london bankers is his next agenda.

1) France and germany are going to get back the banking anyway.
2) Other countries can very easily veto it ( at least the polish will )

Meadows

Banned
Very interesting from Cameron:

"It is in our party political interest for you (Corbyn) to stay there, but it isn't in the national interest. For heaven's sake man, GO."

liquidtmd

Banned
This sounds a lot more like Boris Johnson's own proposal.
Sacrificing the london bankers is his next agenda.

1) France and germany are going to get back the banking anyway.
2) Other countries can very easily veto it ( at least the polish will )

As ex-London Mayor, I can only imagine whats running through his head in terms of current mental stress on realising he's an architect of the destruction of London's financial hub.

Scale of those losses is 50% of NHS budget. Let that sink in.

That's before cascade collapse of London housing market.

The first doesn't matter to the Tories and the second doesn't matter to leavers. In fact, they would welcome it.

Of course, people with sense know that this is disastrous for the growth of the country.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Just unfriended a regretful Leaver on Facebook who ignored every actual fact and argument and is now claiming he's the victim because people are mean on Facebook. I mean SURE your currency, mobility and retirement are in tatters but Remaimers are MEAN!

Palculator

Unconfirmed Member
why are some MPs standing up then sitting back down when the speaker changes?
As I understand it, you stand up when you've got something to say and hope the Speaker (bloke sitting in the middle in the back, John Bercow currently) gives you the go ahead.

itxaka

Defeatist
Wow France. Going for the jugular there. Trying to be more important by killing your opponents, is this 1700?

Aki-at

"It is in our party political interest for you (Corbyn) to stay there, but it isn't in the national interest. For heaven's sake man, GO."

Cameron sending SOS to Labour.

"Please get rid of this git so you can win the next general election and get us out of this mess."

Ouch. I don't think, as much as both parties have torn chunks out of each other over the years, I've ever heard such scornful dismissal of an opponent.

not sure if this has been posted yet as this thread is going pretty fast, anyways, interesting column: "Brexit: dearest English friends, thank you!"

http://bruxelles.blogs.liberation.fr/2016/06/26/brexit-dearest-english-friends-thank-you/

....You have therefore decided to give us a monumental kick up the backside: if the shock of the departure of one of the four largest countries in the Union does not wake us up, if we do not mobilise ourselves in order to revitalise the construction of the European Union, which has ensured peace on our continent for 70 years, then we no longer deserve to exist....

Meadows

Banned
What's interesting is that the Conservatives have wanted him to stay for so long, so it's actually probably against the whip that he's saying this, as it's better for the CONs that he stays.

King_Moc

Banned
Cameron sending SOS to Labour.

"Please get rid of this git so you can win the next general election and get us out of this mess."

More like the crazies that are about to take over the Tories won't need to wear a leash with Corbyn fucking Labour up.

accel

However, off the top of my head circa 40% of the UK's exports are to the EU to begin with. So it will still want and need free trade, particularly of services to the EU.

Just a note on that - yes, that's 45% now, but it was 55% ten years ago. The role of EU in the UK's economy has been shrinking for some time. (The role of EU in the economy of all other EU members is greater - UK is one out of just two countries who trade outside of EU more than within EU. That partly explains why it is UK and not, say, Bulgaria, who had the referendum.)

That's not meant as a justification to leave, but it provides some food for thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom