• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UK votes to leave the European Union |OUT2| Mayday, Mayday, I've lost an ARM

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomtom94

I wonder if Boris as FS is May's way of telling him, "you helped make this mess, now fucking fix it".

Combined with the rumours that Fox will get "international trade", seems likely.

Also, to be fair, considering the creation of Brexit minister, international trade minister and so on, I think Boris' job is mostly to go around extolling the virtues of trade, presumably because they realised Hammond can't do it.

Combined with the rumours that Fox will get "international trade", seems likely.

Also, to be fair, considering the creation of Brexit minister, international trade minister and so on, I think Boris' job is mostly to go around extolling the virtues of trade, presumably because they realised Hammond can't do it.

I bet the Chinese cannot wait to hear all about that glutinous cake....

pigeon

Banned
So my hot take is that Boris Johnson as Foreign Secretary is actually brilliant. Everybody agrees that Boris isn't really stupid or xenophobic, he's always just pretended for political gain. He won't be able to do that now. If you're going to go meet the US Secretary of State you have to comb your hair, there's just no getting around that. He's either going to have to completely fuck up or stop doing all the pandering he's been doing to win support. It's probably an effective pick and also removes any political threat.

suedester

Banned
I like Boris, I think he'll do a fine job. He won't be writing his column anymore which is usually his vehicle for placing his foot in his mouth. I'm all for politicians with a bit of personality.

Acorn

I like Boris, I think he'll do a fine job. He won't be writing his column anymore which is usually his vehicle for placing his foot in his mouth. I'm all for politicians with a bit of personality.
Yes we need more clowns...That's absolutely what Britain needs right now.

chadskin

Exclusive photo of BoJo negotiating a trade deal with India
gallery_showbiz-boris-johnson-hindu-temple-1.jpg

trembli0s

So my hot take is that Boris Johnson as Foreign Secretary is actually brilliant. Everybody agrees that Boris isn't really stupid or xenophobic, he's always just pretended for political gain. He won't be able to do that now. If you're going to go meet the US Secretary of State you have to comb your hair, there's just no getting around that. He's either going to have to completely fuck up or stop doing all the pandering he's been doing to win support. It's probably an effective pick and also removes any political threat.

Hard to disagree, I've been fairly impressed with May out of this. She might be cold, calculating, and ruthless but she seems competent at minimum.

Jisgsaw

So I posted that a while ago:
I can't wrap my head around a Leave voter's mind that doesn't find that Johnson statement insulting.

No seriously, how come there aren't any (visible at least) backlash against Johnson and the whole leave campaign?

Edit: Johnson: "It's time for this nonsense to end..." So why the fuck did you start that nonsense in the first place?
Seriously, if Johnson has any political career left after that, britain has seriously fucked up and proven that idiocracy is a thing.

Well done Britain, I underestimated you.

Moosichu

I hope David Davis gets what he thinks is Possible. Free trade agreements with about 10 countries before we leave and full access to the EU free trade area.

The bolded would be illegal under EU law, which we have to abide by until we have left.

And to make it clear, it's illegal to enter negotiations with other countries, let alone actually make free trade agreements.

avaya

This is a nightmare that never ends. The saddest thing is realising your own country is not a serious country anymore. The South exists in the UK, it's just all over outside a few metro areas and Scotland. Living in the London bubble really does remove you from the crazy that surrounds it.

So with the appointment of a Brexit Minister that's effectively the last nail in the coffin of any chance of UK not leaving then.

I shudder to think what will happen the moment Article 50 is activated.

Madchad

Rafael Behr
@rafaelbehr

David Davis was last a minister when Take That were big the first time. That's how much of a come back this is.

Lol

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
This, by the way, it what happens when you have a weak opposition. The governing party can veer to the extremes because there are no consequences for not doing so. This is far worse than Cameron's government, and almost indescribably worse than the Coalition.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom